Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bhodi posted:

Card Survival looks fun, but $25 for what seems to be a tablet game? The price seems a bit high to me, I'll wait for a sale.

Yeah it's deceptive. I certainly have gotten my money's worth out of it but you have to be willing to sort through UI to play.

Like was said upthread it has a demo if you want to try the steam version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, non-minor lacerations cause enough bleeding that just slapping a bandage on it isn't enough. Bleeding wounds slow bleeding slowly, it's that little blood drop icon on the wound card with a percentage, higher percent is better, putting a bandage on it will increase it's slow rate, double so for a torquinette. After it hits 100% any non-literally-a-leaf bandage will stop your bleeding, tho you'll still bleed without one. Suturing fixes the problem then and there, though requires high enough courage to perform.

Bhodi posted:

Card Survival looks fun, but $25 for what seems to be a tablet game? The price seems a bit high to me, I'll wait for a sale.

There is a demo now if you want to try it out at least. While I too feel I've well gotten my moneys worth with my uh... 100+ hour playtime already, I did pick it up while it was cheaper during EA, that new pricetag does feel a bit high.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Jawnycat posted:

Yeah, non-minor lacerations cause enough bleeding that just slapping a bandage on it isn't enough. Bleeding wounds slow bleeding slowly, it's that little blood drop icon on the wound card with a percentage, higher percent is better, putting a bandage on it will increase it's slow rate, double so for a torquinette. After it hits 100% any non-literally-a-leaf bandage will stop your bleeding, tho you'll still bleed without one. Suturing fixes the problem then and there, though requires high enough courage to perform.

There is a demo now if you want to try it out at least. While I too feel I've well gotten my moneys worth with my uh... 100+ hour playtime already, I did pick it up while it was cheaper during EA, that new pricetag does feel a bit high.

You also have to be careful with a tourniquet because you can give yourself permanent nerve damage if you leave it on too long. The game will warn you this is about to happen once or twice.

I had a comedy of errors where I got hosed up by a boar and then ran over to the mangroves (from the jungle) to drink a poo poo ton of wine so I could get enough courage to suture.

Well, I removed a wineskin from the tree and a fuckin lizard popped up. Evading the lizard caused me to miss the warning and I ended up with permanent hand damage. Even after everything healed up, every hand action ended up taking nearly 2x as long. That run was abandoned.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Similarly, wash your eyes out IMMEDIATELY if a cobra spits in them. You have a shockingly short window to clean them out before you start accruing permanent eye damage

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
my understanding of animal populations is that while they're a tracked number, it's tracked by zone and they'll repopulate that zone and adjacent ones as long as there are some, so unless you make a concerted effort to wipe out (say) lizards or monkeys they'll still exist in whatever zone you're not actively purging, but they'll be much less common in (say) the jungle

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Day 9 mud hut! That first stage truly was the worst of it. Really wasn't that bad when prioritizing completing it over basically everything but food water and energy.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Forever Skies seems like one to keep an eye on. Has a demo out now, and feels kind of like Subnautica, but in an airship above a ruined planet. Will be in early access for awhile after it releases.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256879412/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1648217416

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Forever Skies seems like one to keep an eye on. Has a demo out now, and feels kind of like Subnautica, but in an airship above a ruined planet. Will be in early access for awhile after it releases.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256879412/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1648217416

Thanks I added this to my wishlist. Seems like it could be ok.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is it better to have all of your poo poo/base in the jungle rather than the bay?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Bay is incredibly appealing until it suddenly isn't. I personally use the jungle as my base - bugs can be obnoxious if you're not a start that trivializes them, but otherwise you're one zone from the wetlands for emergency water, one zone from the bay for all the good stuff, not extra-dry, and not extra-hot. Also, loads of construction and crafting material from exploring or just plain axing.

slapping down a shed in the bay isn't the worst idea though, just in case

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

Tried the demo and while it looks cool, it's really heavy graphics-wise and was very laggy on my poor outdated 1660 Super. Needs some serious optimization (which is promised as well) but if they manage to make it run better it has a lot of potential.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Verviticus posted:

is it better to have all of your poo poo/base in the jungle rather than the bay?

Imo the Grasslands work best, since you don't have building restrictions and you're still in the center of everything. I tend to prefer to store food and resources on bushes rather than rotting in my inventory and if you wander around the Grasslands then you'll be so stocked on wood that you could keep a fire going forever. Before I bled out on my last run I had 50 units of wood just from looking for Chilli peppers and lemongrass. You have to go through the jungle to get to the bay or wetlands, but if you're going to the bay to just swim/fish/wash yourself them you can do the same in the Mangroves next door.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The general reasoning behind an early jungle base is that it lets you avoid lizards, is right next to mud and the bay (building, entertainment, and food) and good farming (yams, kava, ginger, spider lily). Eventually though you'll want paths stretching from the valley to the eastern grasslands and the bay so traveling only takes 15 minutes to get anywhere.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah it's deceptive. I certainly have gotten my money's worth out of it but you have to be willing to sort through UI to play.

Like was said upthread it has a demo if you want to try the steam version.

Also, I played 20 minutes of it on Android, decided I couldn't get past the UI, and refunded it, so I guess that's an option? It was extremely simple to do though I guess I haven't, like, checked my CC transactions to make sure the refund went through.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Verviticus posted:

All of the coastal areas (including jungle outskirts) will destroy your items during storms. They don't start until day 20, but once they do they will scour those areas clean.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Game's pretty fun. I moved to the beach from the bay; I thought that it'd be a more central place since it's got rocks and "jungle outskirts" only 3m away. I've only found a few areas so far though, no idea how big the island is. If you make a base in the jungle, what do you do between 20:00 and 24:00 in the dark when you would normally be fishing?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Use your increasingly large stacks of firewood to run a campfire or preferably a stove and do some crafting.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bhodi posted:

Game's pretty fun. I moved to the beach from the bay; I thought that it'd be a more central place since it's got rocks and "jungle outskirts" only 3m away. I've only found a few areas so far though, no idea how big the island is. If you make a base in the jungle, what do you do between 20:00 and 24:00 in the dark when you would normally be fishing?

Anything you can do by campfire, so usually cooking or random crafts like combining fibers or weaving palm fronds.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I try to avoid bugs completely, so I build my mud house in the beach, which is 3m to jungle outskirt for wood, and 15 to rock for tide pool and cave on emergency.

You can craft all night without fire on the beach during clear weather.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bhodi posted:

Practice a skill like using a spear or rock throwing, which can be done in the dark, or use the campfire/candles (one fat three cords) to make light and then do whatever crafting you please.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Don't underestimate practicing weapons at night, too. Higher skills both make it more likely to secure a kill and also keep you from getting hurt. The drum actually has some really useful abilities once your skill is high enough, as well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Is there a way to douse myself in water to cool off without spending 15m taking a full bath?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Can you interrupt your sleeping or are you locked into 8 hours of sleep even if it means you're going to wake up emaciated and dying of thirst? I know it wakes you up automatically if it gets too bad but a lot of times I don't expect the bars to drop so fast and would like to wake up early but I don't think you can.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

explosivo posted:

Can you interrupt your sleeping or are you locked into 8 hours of sleep even if it means you're going to wake up emaciated and dying of thirst? I know it wakes you up automatically if it gets too bad but a lot of times I don't expect the bars to drop so fast and would like to wake up early but I don't think you can.

Nope, take naps in two shifts rather than a single 8 hr sleep cycle to help with this

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

TeaJay posted:

Tried the demo and while it looks cool, it's really heavy graphics-wise and was very laggy on my poor outdated 1660 Super. Needs some serious optimization (which is promised as well) but if they manage to make it run better it has a lot of potential.

If I recall, Subnautica was pretty bad perfomance-wise in EA. I think they had to do an engine overhaul and remove terrain deformation because the lag and pop in were so bad.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

BrianRx posted:

If I recall, Subnautica was pretty bad perfomance-wise in EA. I think they had to do an engine overhaul and remove terrain deformation because the lag and pop in were so bad.

The decision to remove terraforming was twofold; for performance, and to prevent letting people powergame by digging straight to areas they shouldn't be able to get to yet. Probably also helped resolve some bugs. But yeah the performance and pop-in were atrocious in EA. The pop-in is still pretty freaking bad and the performance can tank particularly hard in certain lategame underwater installations or if you ever set up a base with more than like, 2-3 rooms and 1-2 minimal corridors. But there was definitely improvement.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Is there a way to douse myself in water to cool off without spending 15m taking a full bath?

Nope! well i mean other than incidental activities like diving or spearfishing

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Other than the single edge-case getting a full instant douse by being in the tidal cave during high tide, 15 minutes is the minimum for getting wet outside rain, yeah.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I liked the card survival demo a ton so I picked up the full version even though it was pricy. Latest verdict: Slow death by dehydration is brutal. I had no water between day 12-ish? and 23 and the two puddles I had uncovered dried up; I died desperately searching the wetlands for another puddle. I should have released the alembic as soon as I got it but couldn't build it in time and I never quite got around to making a water reservoir. I had 2 pots and 2 glazed and it wasn't enough.

I've now had two runs go past 20 days and finally started to feel like I stabilized but unfortunately I fell off that knife's edge. Things that I learned:
  • If you're the starting hunter you get to ignore sore back, sunburn, and disease which means aloe is only good for raising herbalism and half the herbs I found do nothing - IMO kava is the only one worth gathering which really helps with hand soreness in the first week. It's also not worth spending time/materials on building a rustic bed; it doesn't do enough to be worth the material investment.
  • Making one of those small pots is great for dousing yourself with water when you're crafting in your hut because you get the full soak but only half a coconut portion. refill it from a pot of salt water during the day in your hut.
  • Pour water into a container until it's 100% before drinking to not waste your time since pouring is instant. Also, don't keep liquids in coconuts unless you can help it; put that in something with a lid. This goes double for hard-earned liquids like coconut oil. And if it's raining or you're water rich, don't bother spending 15m drilling a hole in a coconut just smash that thing open - coconut water is low tier liquid.
  • Don't push through your tiredness when chopping trees or exploring unless you have to - Your temperature does matter and Always Be Dousing.
  • Carry fiber to make into cord in your satchel to do something between axing trees and exploring - it helps you rest AND is more productive than just sitting there. Weaving fronds works as well.
  • Spears can go directly into your equipment, you don't have to use a slot to carry them.
  • Rushing hut is a legit strat because insects don't bite you while hanging out in there, but don't rush too hard - make at least 2 baskets and make one into a backpack ASAP. Depending on how many coconuts you got, you may need to pause and get a kiln and then a few pots for water, depending on the luck of the draw. I tried skimping on the baskets and spent more time fighting off monkeys and hauling than I would have spent just building them. Little bastards will steel flint, cloth and other hard-earned valuables so plan to have at least 2 baskets and store all your poo poo in them - unfortunately they're still gonna steal your broom, not much to do about that. I'm gonna try leaving the broom outside next time.
  • If you're rushing a hut in the jungle I didn't find deadfall traps to be worth the time/effort, especially if you already got bones to make a needle, by the second week I was mostly eating seafood salads and skewers and lemongrass with the occasional chicken meal.
  • Don't spend all that time carving out sago flour unless it's raining, and for some reason bone knives don't count as "sharp blades" - you need flint to do it.
  • Start the biggest craft you can every day just before 20:00 (probably a stone axe), same with the final haul back to your base - it will fully complete even in darkness. On the beach on a clear night you can do normal things during the night. Things you can still do in complete darkness: train spear/rock, fish, dig up sand for later.
  • If you're using the campfire for light on the beach in the first week, put salt water coconut halves in and start stockpiling salt. You need 6 per lidded jar.
  • You'll definitely want some spear skill for those bastard monkeys but do not gently caress with boars until you have some skill and a tourniquet/ash dressing ready to go.
  • I found tide pools are expensive time investment for what you get and honestly you're better served exploring and hoping you run into a large flint so you can make the flint axe. E: if you decide to make a hut on the beach or bay and plan to fish, tide pools are worth it.
  • Don't swim out to bird rock, until you practice swimming. There's nothing there you need to risk it all for and it's harder to swim back than get there.
  • Once you get your stove, you should be hauling and boiling salt water on the regular - you can stick those pots directly on the stove for 1.5-2h; you'll need the salt.
  • Make at least 3 kitchen pots - they are lidded so don't evaporate, so you can use them like jars and eventually you'll want to craft and store whole ready-to-cook meals which will use the pot.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 7, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Made it a bit over a hundred days without going bananas, but the isolation bar combined with my complete inability to keep my entertainment bar above empty, I finally went bananas :negative: I wouldn't care if it didn't make everything take so much longer

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Danaru posted:

Made it a bit over a hundred days without going bananas, but the isolation bar combined with my complete inability to keep my entertainment bar above empty, I finally went bananas :negative: I wouldn't care if it didn't make everything take so much longer

Having zero mental doesn't actually matter for the timer, it's mood that makes things take longer. You can get a fat boost to it with the advanced meals and a good passive boost from ginseng, kava, and uh one of the other teas that also lowers stress. Max isolation reduces the effects of Weston but you can still talk to him and it can sometimes push you over the edge for lowering loneliness. Entertainment is also easily gained from wood carving.

My own character is completely bonkers but ecstatic all the time from eating nothing but the fanciest meals and candy.

Two bookshelves full of carvings and curios helps as well.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 6, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The only? self renewing dry season water source in the western? island is inside the wetlands cave. I don't think it's possible to survive on it exclusively, but it'll stretch your banana trees long enough to find more banana trees.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
A cool thing I noticed is you can add kava to unsafe water and the resulting kava drink will be safe. Not sure if it's a bug or if that's just yet another thing kava can do. What a chad

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Danaru posted:

A cool thing I noticed is you can add kava to unsafe water and the resulting kava drink will be safe. Not sure if it's a bug or if that's just yet another thing kava can do. What a chad

This is amazing and also probably a bug.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The only? self renewing dry season water source in the western? island is inside the wetlands cave. I don't think it's possible to survive on it exclusively, but it'll stretch your banana trees long enough to find more banana trees.

And yeah that's the only natural renewing source. You can also build a single well in the wetlands for another but even those two together will struggle to keep you hydrated unless you cut all work to conserve water - and even then probably wouldn't be enough. A full cistern is really the most important thing before the dry season starts as it will last you a good 20 days of use while still exploring, building, and doing skills.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bhodi posted:

I liked the card survival demo a ton so I picked up the full version even though it was pricy. Latest verdict: Slow death by dehydration is brutal. I had no water between day 12-ish? and 23 and the two puddles I had uncovered dried up; I died desperately searching the wetlands for another puddle. I should have released the alembic as soon as I got it but couldn't build it in time and I never quite got around to making a water reservoir. I had 2 pots and 2 glazed and it wasn't enough.

I've now had two runs go past 20 days and finally started to feel like I stabilized but unfortunately I fell off that knife's edge. Things that I learned:
  • If you're the starting hunter you get to ignore sore back, sunburn, and disease which means aloe is only good for raising herbalism and half the herbs I found do nothing - IMO kava is the only one worth gathering which really helps with hand soreness in the first week. It's also not worth spending time/materials on building a rustic bed; it doesn't do enough to be worth the material investment.

Aloe+sungrass makes the good bug resistant gel which everyone needs.

I would also recommend people not skip on the enclosure, even getting birds in there is super handy as feeding them is dead simple and they give a ton of eggs which go in several easy advanced dishes.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks to this thread I decided to try out Subnautica and I'm loving it, even thinking of going diving irl.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Give it a few hours then tell us if you still want to go diving

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Bhodi posted:

• I found tide pools are expensive time investment for what you get and honestly you're better served exploring and hoping you run into a large flint so you can make the flint axe.
  • Don't swim out to bird rock, until you practice swimming. There's nothing there you need to risk it all for and it's harder to swim back than get there.

Tidepools are most useful for getting starter bait for fishing, get some prawns to prime your rod for the first fish, then turn that fish into bait.

Bird rock is extremely useful, but yeah, you definitely want near max or maxed swimming before loving with it. It functions as a situational fast travel, since when fully explored it has access to several points on the island (minus one that only unlocks if you travel to the rock from it), allowing you to transition between them for only 1 hour total time. It also has the shipwreck, which is the only source of plastic sheets, scrap metal, and the absolutely amazing jerrycan (holds eight bowls worth of liquid, sealed, lightweight when empty); outside of perk specific starting equipment. And you can find risk free oysters while exploring, instead of having to risk sharks and snakes in the bay. You can make it out and back reliably at ~60 skill in clear weather, but only when pretty much naked and not carrying anything, which mostly defeats the point.

Also, maxing out your swimming let's you access the back way into the island underground via diving in the secret cove, without needing to do the massive excavation project in the eastern highlands. Though I think you can skip the second, stupidly intensive, stage of the excavation if you have dynamite.

On fishing, it is a very time intensive skill compared to spear fishing (1h per action instead of 30m), but at high skill levels it's pretty much guaranteed to get a catch every action as long as you use bait, doesn't risk krait encounters while fishing in the bay/mangroves, and unlocks fish traps for passive fish catching. You can also fish in complete darkness. And is a mild source of happiness.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Danaru posted:

booming roar filtering through the water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Danaru posted:

haha very true! :D Personally, if I had to choose I'd be more keen to go live in the woods for a bit, with Sami the URW dev. (The threat of Njerpez scum attacking is merely an incentive :black101: )