Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
"over yonder thereabouts"

e: page 1509 deadeye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kaesarsosei posted:

Genuine question - if I see the white line thing from when a sub pings me, where should I aim the depth charge airstrike? Not trying to be facetious, I just don't know and its completely un-intuitive.

*shrug*

They intentionally made it so it's hard to judge any kind of lead because you can't be 100% sure where the sub was when it pinged. I guess the best bet is to aim at the smudge in the water and hope for the best.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The only way to know where to aim is for the sub to actually be spotted, and stay spotted long enough to estimate speed and direction for the depth charge bombers.

The white line used to inidcate where the sub is, now it indicates nothing useful at all.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

News: Edgar is out

Views:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

toadee posted:

News: Edgar is out

Views:

Reviews look positive.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Here's the thing, it is poo poo compared to Anapolis or Conde, both of which are overpowered. Viewed through that lens its a disappointment. You won't ever see Edgar in a comp setting that allows superships.

But, it's very similar to smoke Mino, but hurts more, which is fun.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Tier 5 ranked is fun. Shame it was over so quick, I went 21-8 in Furutaka, which is not bragging of my amazing skill but which does unfortunately rank you out pretty fast. Great to not have any subs or CVs.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Furutaka is probably the only cruiser I have that I would play but I tend to rotate among 4-5 ships in all sprints. For this one I'll go with Furutaka, Oktober Rev, Agincourt, Kamikaze and Oknotnik.

Edit: I wanted to try Oklahoma, but its hopeless. The secondaries have good range but don't seem to have any improved accuracy. The main guns are arguably the worst on any BB in the game, including Mikasa. It is 19 knots, has no armour...utter trash.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 6, 2022

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Tier 5 ranked is fun. Shame it was over so quick, I went 21-8 in Furutaka, which is not bragging of my amazing skill but which does unfortunately rank you out pretty fast. Great to not have any subs or CVs.

I didn't know ranked started at T5, I'll need to get in some games.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

kaesarsosei posted:

Furutaka is probably the only cruiser I have that I would play but I tend to rotate among 4-5 ships in all sprints. For this one I'll go with Furutaka, Oktober Rev, Agincourt, Kamikaze and Oknotnik.

Edit: I wanted to try Oklahoma, but its hopeless. The secondaries have good range but don't seem to have any improved accuracy. The main guns are arguably the worst on any BB in the game, including Mikasa. It is 19 knots, has no armour...utter trash.

Oklahoma is a tier 5 Kansas

Viribus Unitis is a tier 5 Vermont

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

kaesarsosei posted:

Funny, most of the ships I saw were on that list. Throw in some Kirovs and Konigs for flavor. Secondary built Agincourt and Kamikaze are both terrors.

Konigsberg was also weirdly popular but I mostly saw them meeting the same fate as Omahas and La Gals.

e: forgot about Giulio Cesare which is very very good at T5, and of course, Men United

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 6, 2022

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Furutaka might be even more busted than I thought. It seems to have a built-in "ignore torpedo's" ability. Never seen so many random torp hits.

Also the more I play Oktober (and there are far more of these around than I expected), the less I like it. Yes its the tankiest but its guns are below average IMO in most regards. It might be because BBs are at the mercy of bad team mates more than other classes and sometimes killing stuff quickly is better than just surviving. I think this is why Gulio Cesare is so busted - wish I had one.

loving hell I should whinge more often, literally the first shot I took in my next match with Oktober was a 100% dev strike on a Marblehead at 13km.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 8, 2022

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

gently caress I hate CVs, submarines I don't mind - they're slow(er) than others, can somewhat be countered. But if i'm in a DD knife-fight then some stupid british CV carpet bombs me into extinction my blood pressure spikes.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

CVs would be more fun to have in a game if you could manually aim your anti-air defenses.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I had the random urge to play this after about 5 years away and it's really surprising how little has changed, right down to what people are complaining about.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Cancelbot posted:

gently caress I hate CVs, submarines I don't mind - they're slow(er) than others, can somewhat be countered. But if i'm in a DD knife-fight then some stupid british CV carpet bombs me into extinction my blood pressure spikes.

If a British CV carpet bombs your DD into extinction you had the worst luck in the universe, because those bombs are so loving unreliable getting multiple hits even on a BB is lucky.

And my big problem with subs is (again from a DD perspective) is that they can passively spot you a long time before you can spot them, and then just ... keep spotting you. At higher tiers they are faster underwater than many DDs are on the surface, and have almost speed parity with many others, so it's not like you can quickly run over them and depth charge them to pieces. Instead you have to spend ages getting to range, then depth charge and ... do maybe 20% of their HP in damage. All the while they're spotting you for their team, pinging you for homing torps and shooting torps at you.

Badly played subs are an annoyance, but even decently played subs are a loving menace because WG balanced them so that even 45% glue sniffers can get results.

Minenfeld! posted:

CVs would be more fun to have in a game if you could manually aim your anti-air defenses.

That would unironically be also cool from the CV's perspective (at least to me), because then you could distract players and force them to pay attention to your planes instead of your allies' ships for a while.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 9, 2022

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

If a British CV carpet bombs your DD into extinction you had the worst luck in the universe, because those bombs are so loving unreliable getting multiple hits even on a BB is lucky.

I am _that_ unlucky. Doesn’t help that ships like the Akizuki are large and slow. I don’t get hit in my French DDs but those Japanese gunboats live in smoke.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
If you are chilling in smoke, they can still determine where you are a few ways. Mini map will still have last spotted position, and you can aim from mini map if you are that sweaty. If your AA is on they can still see where the tracers are coming from and splat ya. Ditto if you are still shooting they can see where your shells are appearing and aim in. Gotta keep repositioning in your own smoke, consider still turning AA off if the CV is horny for you.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Chair In A Basket posted:

If you are chilling in smoke, they can still determine where you are a few ways. Mini map will still have last spotted position, and you can aim from mini map if you are that sweaty. If your AA is on they can still see where the tracers are coming from and splat ya. Ditto if you are still shooting they can see where your shells are appearing and aim in. Gotta keep repositioning in your own smoke, consider still turning AA off if the CV is horny for you.

Smoke generalizes AA tracers across the entire puff.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

How do I Duncan? I did fine with the Hawke but somehow with this thing I'm not getting amazing amounts of damage and I'm far frailer than I'd like.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I'm struggling in silver quals for some loving reason. The reason is Belfasts actually. I wish they hadn't sold those :/

Maybe I should swap from Haida to Sinop or something.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Hindenburg has been my go to in ranked for a while now. It lacks radar, but it can both dish out and take some huge beatings and pull off ridiculous kills in late game brawls.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

How do I Duncan? I did fine with the Hawke but somehow with this thing I'm not getting amazing amounts of damage and I'm far frailer than I'd like.

Duncan is kind of brutal, I FXP'ed past it. The 419's dont really give you anything extra that the excellent 406's on the Hawke does. It doesn't really have any redeeming features to make up for the lack of overmatch which is a common thing among a lot of T9/TX BB's in 2022.

St Vincent is nice, it's no Thunderer of course but you can pull some cool-guy stuff off late in the game with your speed and torps. I really liked the Hawke, those guns just worked for me and it's a very standard and comfortable battleship.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I dunno, I think the Duncan is really good. I didn't actually play many games in it or Hawke because the new economic system means that I only took 14 games in Hawke and 10 (TEN, I think because there was a +200% weekend in there too) in Duncan to grind through each. But my average dmg in Duncan is 110k compared to 90k for Hawke. Actually my PR is showing as better in Hawke, which suggests that 90k is overachieving.

Have only played 1 game in St Vincent so far for the supercontainer.

The entire line is very good without veering into blatant OP territory, and slightly different - probably the best balanced/designed line they have released in years.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Ok I want to buy one of the super BBs. Now I am pretty sure Hanover is the worst, but it looks a tight call between Satsuma and Patrie. One thing that perhaps swings it towards Satsuma for me, is that I don't have Shikishima or Incomporable (and I think I am unlikely to drop the steel for either) - ie I have no ships with >460mm guns.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kaesarsosei posted:

Ok I want to buy one of the super BBs. Now I am pretty sure Hanover is the worst, but it looks a tight call between Satsuma and Patrie. One thing that perhaps swings it towards Satsuma for me, is that I don't have Shikishima or Incomporable (and I think I am unlikely to drop the steel for either) - ie I have no ships with >460mm guns.

Bear in mind that the Super Kremlin is also coming soon. It looks to be completely and hilariously broken.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

kaesarsosei posted:

Hanover, fully specced for secondaries with Gunter is just so overpowered it's unreal. I'd take the Mitsui (tier 9 premium) over the Satsuma for fun game play, that thing is broken. Patrie is also fun but not bonkers OP.
I am currently on get 800 ribbons with the Hanover in my personal challenges, I will get a 1000 with it with no stress.*

*Playing co-op where you are the only human is great fun!!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh, I also recently unlocked Yamamoto Isoroku. Is there any ship type he's especially suited for?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Satsuma is a lot of stupid fun and doing a gimmick-spec for extra long range is hilarious as you can delete other BBs from ~7km out of their range.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

re: Satsuma:

https://streamable.com/4sogea

That was pre-nerf Petro btw, but also pre-nerf Satsuma. In the Superships preview era with the better reload I had I think 8 or 9 300k games in a week in Satsuma. The reload nerf is noticeble. Still though, the shells hit so hard, even perfeclty angled BBs take like 10-15k every time if you land it in their superstructure, and most pubbies will then try to gamer turn out after getting their poo poo punched in through the face, at which point you can use the funny button to land 9/9 right in the belt. It's nice, but it's also not a dramatically different playstyle from Yamato. It's just "do a lot more damage as a Yamato". Also underrated is the armor upgrade Satsuma gets. The belt is nuts. I've bounced Slava shells at like 17km with only the tiniest of angles. The Yamato cheek is still there but it's got a bit more armor so it's a lot harder to consistently punish. The rear end cheek is still very vulnerable though. Never show rear end cheek.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Actually glad you brought up the armour, I thought Satsuma was tougher but had never bothered to check.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

As someone who has all the superships I'd recommend all the BBs and Cruisers as having some fun gimmicks and being actual fun to play. Edgar is a bit of a handful but I have only just got that. I'm poo poo at CVs so I have no thoughts on them, the Russian DD has nothing that the tier 10s don't bring and the IJN one has the gimmick swappable range torps but give me a Shima any day of the week. YVMD obviously but you won't get buyers remorse doing this.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I must have become dramatically worse at this game, I can't make the slightest progress in silver quals with a loving Haida.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

General Battuta posted:

I must have become dramatically worse at this game, I can't make the slightest progress in silver quals with a loving Haida.

You did fine in the game we had!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I've done 30+ qual matches and I'm at 1 star, lol

e: 0

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 12, 2022

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I tried some Tier 5 ranked last night and here are some ship impressions:
Maestrale - Can really dunk on other DDs, but is kinda hopeless against bigger ships. Had more trouble with a Hill then I thought.
Okhotnik - Seems like it would really need a smoke buddy, can yolo like a champ but awkward gun angles make it difficult to use at closer ranges.
Fujin - Silly overpowered provided you can keep away from enemy DDs.
Guilio Cesare - I actually felt bad playing this.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
is there still a way to play with goons?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Up to 5, back down to 0 :shepicide:

I had a 60% wr in this ship, what is happening

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

This devblog's just hilarious in how full of bullshit it is.

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/377

Seriously, just read this section.

quote:

"The subs have come a long way in testing — almost three years since the concept was created. Finally, only about a year ago, subs were added to Random Battles, where we, based on your battles, brought them up to release-ready status. That's a long way to go for developing one ship type, and we needed to move on. Thus the next step is getting the submarines into early access. "

Just read those last two sentences and think about it for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

is there still a way to play with goons?

We have an NA clan and discord, but I think there is a different one for EU?

https://discord.gg/gxDv4Z56