Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Apsyrtes posted:

Engines play top chess, undisputedly.

Do you know who else plays top chess? Top players.

Usually we brag about how perfectly a player played based on how often they chose a top engine move. Somehow we are forgetting this here and drawing different conclusions.

The opinions of top players do matter, and would suggest investigation is warranted - but all this nonsense re: statistical analysis and armchair bullshit is just that - nonsense and bullshit.

First of all, engines do not play top chess.

They play chess so far beyond top chess it is in another classification: top engine chess.

Second, the chess.com report actually does include them consulting top players for their analysis.

Stop shotgunning your bullshit every just to see what sticks. Publicity as a motive, regardless of if this is true or not, does not discredit the work they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

stratdax posted:

If Chess is like any other sport, the entire organization would love it if Hans is cheating. They can provide a huge report & mountains of evidence on Hans specifically, but very intentionally not look further than that because it would uncover just how many cheaters there are. You always need a fall guy to make it look like they're successfully protecting the sanctity of the game from all cheaters.

That's exactly what Chess.com is doing. They're putting focus on Hans and dumb cheaters to distract from the fact that they can't catch anyone using anal beads either

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thats sort of what makes me feel so sour about all this - lots of people cheat all the time. Only Hans is getting singled out because He beat Magnus and talked poo poo about it.

Other sports, when there is a cheating accusation, allow the accused representation in front of some sort of plausibly neutral arbitrator. Chess.com is not plausibly neutral!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Niemann getting pilloried while everyone else skates because he's a massive goony goon just makes this funnier.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Hand Knit posted:

Niemann getting pilloried while everyone else skates because he's a massive goony goon just makes this funnier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQYBZgsjnEI

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

wedgie deliverer posted:

Thats sort of what makes me feel so sour about all this - lots of people cheat all the time. Only Hans is getting singled out because He beat Magnus and talked poo poo about it.

Other sports, when there is a cheating accusation, allow the accused representation in front of some sort of plausibly neutral arbitrator. Chess.com is not plausibly neutral!

In fairness, they mostly addressed the stuff that happened on their platform, about which Niemann clearly lied/misrepresented a lot. Also he was given a lot of chances by them previously. Still, I wonder what FIDE will say about OTB.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I love how he himself recorded himself being, well, himself.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

dex_sda posted:

Still, I wonder what FIDE will say about OTB.

Almost certainly nothing, because both Ken Regan and now Chess.com's team have said there's nothing statistically evident about his play OTB.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I think the fact that FIDE let a private website drive the clown car for this long without anything more than a lawyerly statement about Magnus means they were caught like a deer in the headlights. The most they've done after the arbiter sent them some .xlsx of the game results is an ongoing effort to assemble some panel of experts to present some vague slides in a few weeks that throw anyone in the org under the bus that is even peripherally connected to what could look like an anti-cheating group.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

wedgie deliverer posted:

No.

It's in the report.

Hans is getting singled out because he decided to go public with this.

In all other cases, including the start of Hans's investigation, it was done privately, and with chance for redemption. Hans chose for it to be this way.

wedgie deliverer posted:

We're not even at that point, we are literally at the equivalent of the MLB revealing their investigation results of cheating on their platform. What chess.com is doing is hilariously in-line with what other major league sports do, probably because we know they asked them for consultation, and they had to go through all this formality and rigor because of how much this snowballed out of control.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

tractor fanatic posted:

Almost certainly nothing, because both Ken Regan and now Chess.com's team have said there's nothing statistically evident about his play OTB.

Kinda, but not quite.

Chess.com say they are not experts at analyzing OTB play, but they applied their methods to OTB games anyways, and highlighted six tournaments that were recommended for further analysis.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

No.

It's in the report.

Hans is getting singled out because he decided to go public with this.

In all other cases, including the start of Hans's investigation, it was done privately, and with chance for redemption. Hans chose for it to be this way.

Really not trying to be facetious - but how is it Hans decision to “go public” when it was Magnus and others who accused him? (yes I know magnus’ formal accusation didn’t come out until recently)

Again not super clear on some other details, and comparing this to other sports seems like a flawed analogy, because I don’t know if other sports have an entity like chess.com in relation to their governing structure. If I missed a detail in this story about how FIDE and chess.com are working together on this, my bad.

FIDE is the ostensibly governing body, and I know they are doing their own investigation. Normally I would expect the findings to be held until the third party report is ready so not to muddy the waters. The chess.com report feels like a 1 sided press release that happens to support their business partner. I don’t think Hans is clean, I just doubt that chess.com or Magnus are either, which makes this all seem like a weird political flex as a chess newcomer.

I guess I just spend a lot of time reading/analyzing reports for work and this sort of public spat would have much more raised eyebrows for me professionally.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
He literally made a public denial in an interview, in contradiction with his correspondence with the site. Specifically about having never cheated in money tournaments.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

wedgie deliverer posted:

Again not super clear on some other details, and comparing this to other sports seems like a flawed analogy, because I don’t know if other sports have an entity like chess.com in relation to their governing structure. If I missed a detail in this story about how FIDE and chess.com are working together on this, my bad.

chess.com applied their regular methods to OTB games, but they were unable to get anything conclusive, partly since they don't have some data they are privy to on their platform (tabbing away, move times). They did, however, recommend six tournaments for FIDE to take a closer look with their methods. That reads as legalese for "there's a bit of fishiness but we are not making actionable judgments on this because we don't have enough statistical significance for definitiveness so we could be wrong;" the idea that there's absolutely nothing fishy at all seems to run counter to what the report says. Surely if there was nothing pinged by their system they wouldn't be recommending that to FIDE - who are actually in charge of the OTB world. I also get a feeling with the OTB speculation that really feels a bit out of place in the report they are trying to force FIDE's hand to take responsibility - FIDE is a pretty lovely and even corrupt organisation. This does make the whole thing look slightly weird and I have to agree with you there, but I think the reason is less sinister "help baby Magnus with his saltiness" and more "FIDE needs to nut up on this because it's hurting everyone."

The idea that this report clears him after 2020 is also a bit silly imo; he just didn't get pinged by the system since. For all we know, he might have just figured out to cheat more subtly (say, with just an eval bar).

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 5, 2022

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

dex_sda posted:

chess.com applied their regular methods to OTB games, but they were unable to get anything conclusive, partly since they don't have some data they are privy to on their platform (tabbing away, move times).

*ducks head under table for 20 seconds during OTB game* sorry I was just alt tabbing to check my email

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

*ducks head under table for 20 seconds during OTB game* sorry I was just alt tabbing to check my email

in retrospect, we should have seen the red flags - i mean the ones the accomplice used for semaphore signalling in the crowd

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

wedgie deliverer posted:

Really not trying to be facetious - but how is it Hans decision to “go public” when it was Magnus and others who accused him? (yes I know magnus’ formal accusation didn’t come out until recently)

FIDE is the ostensibly governing body, and I know they are doing their own investigation.

Titled Tuesday is a money tournament hosted by chess.com and played online using the chess.com service. FIDE doesn't sanction Titled Tuesday, and you don't change your FIDE rating by participating.

Magnus didn't comment or resign or withdraw from a titled tuesday.

Chess.com is only reporting than Hans cheated in titled tuesday and in other games on the chess.com platform. Chess.com was brought up by hans in an interview as having banned him, but was not otherwise involved before then. Hans lied about the nature of those bans and the extent of his cheating on the platform. Chess.com then corrected that record.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

totalnewbie posted:

We once caught someone in another room in the building on a desktop computer. They claimed they were only checking their email, which they had to do because their mom was in the hospital and they couldn't afford to miss an urgent communication.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

Yeah I don't think the "chess.com has less information OTB than online" is meaningful. The only potentially useful information is move times. If you imagine Hans used his OTB cheating method on chess.com, then they're saying they can't detect it either.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

dex_sda posted:

in retrospect, we should have seen the red flags - i mean the ones the accomplice used for semaphore signalling in the crowd

lol

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
They have access to the 'blur' data which is whether his better moves correspond to him leaving the browser window (they did).

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Ravel posted:

They have access to the 'blur' data which is whether his better moves correspond to him leaving the browser window (they did).

which actually is an extremely powerful metric and it makes complete sense that without it their cheating detection is way less robust - whether because the cheating happens OTB or the player is wise to not leaving the browser window with his cheating method.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

why don’t they just check otb if someone’s best moves usually come after they’re back from the toilet or sth

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
It'll be impossible to say if he ever cheated OTB unless he had an accomplice who rats him out. Doesn't really matter, he admitted to cheating privately, lied about it publicly and should eat a couple year ban from tournaments as punishment. Hopefully this results in chess taking cheating seriously as the GMs currently don't seem to think fide does.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

dex_sda posted:

FIDE is a pretty lovely and even corrupt organisation. This does make the whole thing look slightly weird and I have to agree with you there, but I think the reason is less sinister "help baby Magnus with his saltiness" and more "FIDE needs to nut up on this because it's hurting everyone."

The idea that this report clears him after 2020 is also a bit silly imo; he just didn't get pinged by the system since.

I see your points here. But if this was a serious movement against cheating in chess, why stop at Hans when chess.com and other GMs have all publicly acknowledged that they have a more extensive database of cheaters and confessions? If it was about cheating, release the list. If that is their goal then yes, it would be noble. But unless that full accounting of cleaning house is to be undertaken, it seems to be about Hans.

I assume FIDE, like every international sports governing body, is corrupt. Chess.com however does not appear to me to be doing anything different or better, just protecting a different set of interests.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

wedgie deliverer posted:

I see your points here. But if this was a serious movement against cheating in chess, why stop at Hans when chess.com and other GMs have all publicly acknowledged that they have a more extensive database of cheaters and confessions? If it was about cheating, release the list. If that is their goal then yes, it would be noble. But unless that full accounting of cleaning house is to be undertaken, it seems to be about Hans.

I assume FIDE, like every international sports governing body, is corrupt. Chess.com however does not appear to me to be doing anything different or better, just protecting a different set of interests.

First of all, Magnus apparently was one of the few GMs who didn't see the list. Nevertheless he had his suspicions, which is kinda crazy - I assume the GMs just talk between themselves but still. So if we look at his perspective for starting this, he just seems to want cheaters to be taken to accord. Whether Hans cheated OTB in the game or just got (un)lucky with the prep, it convinced Magnus he was cheating and we're here with Magnus using his clout to strongarm FIDE into action. And I don't blame him, if you know someone's a cheater you will play poorly even if they aren't cheating at the moment.

For chess.com's side, while I do think the decision not to release other name is regrettable I think they handled every previous GM cheater the same way - allow them to privately admit wrongdoing and then let them back on. I think that is an extremely stupid and bad attitude, but that might mean they want to preserve the anonymity of those players from the general public. Niemann just happened to lie publically about it, that's why it appears they're ganging up on him. Again, it's a really weird policy - least of all because it allows cheaters to refine their cheating methods and it is what I personally believe happened with Hans - and they should change it, but certainly the OTB cheating accusation is the most pressing thing right now and I can hardly blame them for focusing on it.

It definitely is about protecting their interest, for the record - but I don't think it's the interest people are suggesting of helping out Magnus, but more because this is extremely damaging to chess as a whole but to online chess in particular, which naturally hits right in their business.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 5, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fart simpson posted:

why don’t they just check otb if someone’s best moves usually come after they’re back from the toilet or sth

During the Ding-Nepomniachtchi match, if players need to take a poo poo when they stand up from the board they will be blindfolded, handcuffed, and led to the toilet by a support staff of toilet helpers. The toilet helps will undress the players, seat them, wipe their asses (as necessary), redress them, and return them to the board.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Hand Knit posted:

During the Ding-Nepomniachtchi match, if players need to take a poo poo when they stand up from the board they will be blindfolded, handcuffed, and led to the toilet by a support staff of toilet helpers. The toilet helps will undress the players, seat them, wipe their asses (as necessary), redress them, and return them to the board.

are they already accepting applications?

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

fart simpson posted:

If you have a tiny thumper in your shoe you don’t need to go anywhere

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

dex_sda posted:

First of all, Magnus apparently was one of the few GMs who didn't see the list. [i]Nevertheless he had his suspicions, which is kinda crazy - I assume the GMs just talk between themselves but still. So if we look at his perspective for starting this, he just seems to want cheaters to be taken to accord. Whether Hans cheated OTB in the game or just got (un)lucky with the prep, it convinced Magnus he was cheating and we're here with Magnus using his clout to strongarm FIDE into action. And I don't blame him, if you know someone's a cheater you will play poorly even if they aren't cheating at the moment.

For chess.com's side, while I do think the decision not to release other name is regrettable I think they handled every previous GM cheater the same way - allow them to privately admit wrongdoing and then let them back on. I think that is an extremely stupid and bad attitude, but that might mean they want to preserve the anonymity of those players from the general public. Niemann just happened to lie publically about it, that's why it appears they're ganging up on him. Again, it's a really weird policy and they should change it, but certainly the OTB cheating accusation is the most pressing thing right now and I can hardly blame them for focusing on it.

Yea, I guess I just didn't realize how much of a mess chess was until now. I was just enjoying the new hobby and boom. The whole 'private admission' system seems very bad, and this result is the mess.

If I had to be a real tinfoil hat guy (any more than I already am) it seems that Chess.com wants to keep as many titled players on their site to market themselves as having the best and brightest players and therefore the best place to play chess in the world. So when the players gently caress up, rather than have a robust cheating policy that banned those titled players (a policy which would run counter to their business strategy) they went with this weird confession system. Now that system is blowing up in their face because of lots of complicated reasons that I barely understand, if at all.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

wedgie deliverer posted:

If I had to be a real tinfoil hat guy (any more than I already am) it seems that Chess.com wants to keep as many titled players on their site to market themselves as having the best and brightest players and therefore the best place to play chess in the world. So when the players gently caress up, rather than have a robust cheating policy that banned those titled players (a policy which would run counter to their business strategy) they went with this weird confession system. Now that system is blowing up in their face because of lots of complicated reasons that I barely understand, if at all.

I would agree with this, yeah - except that the system was quite rigged to blow once a real scandal happened. This is why they're scrambling to look like the reasonable party, and the report is pretty good on that - but it (quite intentionally) glosses over their own mismanagement of the cheating problem.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Hand Knit posted:

Fine! I don't know why we even have a bottle.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
lol that chess.com released chat logs like this is your run of the mill twitch drama

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

qsvui posted:

lol that chess.com released chat logs like this is your run of the mill twitch drama

Well,

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Niemann was the one who brought up his chess dot com ban in his Sinquefeld interview, after they had privately banned him (again).

They then responded saying that his summary in that interview was not accurate and they sent him evidence privately again. Niemann did not address this.

After much public activity about their involvement, Chess dot com eventually released the evidence publicly. Asking why they did this about Niemann and not other GMs seems a little strange. They are directly responding to the current controversy, and Niemann's claims about what chess dot com's evidence about him was.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Ravel posted:

Niemann was the one who brought up his chess dot com ban in his Sinquefeld interview, after they had privately banned him (again).

They then responded saying that his summary in that interview was not accurate and they sent him evidence privately again. Niemann did not address this.

After much public activity about their involvement, Chess dot com eventually released the evidence publicly. Asking why they did this about Niemann and not other GMs seems a little strange. They are directly responding to the current controversy, and Niemann's claims about what chess dot com's evidence about him was.

I think the way they handle cheater gms seems incredibly stupid, shortsighted, and confusing. This is entirely tangential to the veracity and strength of their report, however: it seems decently thorough and is quite damning to Hans' side of the story while stopping short of definitive OTB cheating accusations without overwhelming proof.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I basically agree with the idea that a player, especially a child, should be allowed a second chance. Banning them from money events during that second chance makes sense. It's a bit iffy when we start getting into third chances, and a complete lack of communication between the various bodies that independently handle cheating in their own little kingdoms. How many of the cheaters chess.com caught just switched to cheating on lichess?

"We'll publish receipts if you lie about your cheating publicly" is also a reasonable policy that seemingly hasn't been needed until now

That said, I wouldn't blame any GM who is mad that the list of titled cheaters is being kept private. It's definitely not obvious to me that the good from second chances outweighs the bad from having known cheaters keep playing in money events that happen to be run by a different organization. The bare minimum, imo, is that fide, lichess, and chess.com should have united policies and regular communication and that just doesn't seem to be the case

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

My mind suddenly went to the NFTs of these cheated games.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
basically, chess.com's cheating policy is at best suspect and at worst irresponsible, but, within the confines of that, their recent behavior and the integrity of the report seem to be about as good as one might hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Also, a thought just occurred about chess.com and cheat detection. It strikes me that their methods will catch things like players hanging out on blitz and talking to each other over chat while playing. If they're talking about the game and that's affecting their moves then it seems like the blur detection might pick that up. And, while that is in fact cheating, it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that cheat detection is actually trying to catch. It's sort of like how those blitz sessions where Carlsen is hanging out drinking with Howell and whomever are in fact cheating but also not what the actual concern is when it comes to fair play enforcement.