Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

CobiWann posted:

According to my DM, the official insurance provider of the Korvan Empire is Regressive Insurance, with their half-orc spokesperson Olf.

"YOU WILL BUNDLE LAIR AND HORSE COVERAGE! GOBLINS ARE STANDING BY TWENTY-FIVE HOURS A DAY, FIVE DAYS A WEEK, TO DENY YOUR CLAIM!"

Sounds like the American privatised healthcare system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

JustJeff88 posted:

Sounds like the American privatised healthcare system

Ah, so pure evil does exist in this universe.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

wiegieman posted:

Ah, so pure evil does exist in this universe.

Don't get me started on libertarians.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Welp, nothing like getting TPK'ed by your own former character who was resurrected by a necromancer. Atleast our GM took pity on us and is letting us try again next week

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Welp, nothing like getting TPK'ed by your own former character who was resurrected by a necromancer. Atleast our GM took pity on us and is letting us try again next week

Bring in your old sheet, insist that you won the fight.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The Glumslinger posted:

Curious about the TPK mechanics since it’s never happened to me before.

If the whole group is dead, does the campaign proceed? Do you all roll up new characters? Does the GM just retcon the session?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
So a friend of mine has a fun idea. He's part of my Saturday group, but he is the exclusive GM for a separate group on Tuesday nights. Since the two groups don't share any people except him, he had this idea: secretly farm out the antagonist's decisions to us, the Saturday group. This would be done between games in a Slack channel, limited to more strategic plot decisions rather than in-the-moment tactical ones. He's going to wrap up his D&D 5E game this week and they're going to decide on a new game. No matter what that ends up being, me and three other players are going to be the collective AI of the Big Bad of the new game. It's intended to liven things up for him, and juke out his Tuesday players a bit since they know him really well. He says his players have been guessing the antagonist's moves too easily, so they may know him too well.

We'll fix that. :devil:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Railing Kill posted:

So a friend of mine has a fun idea. He's part of my Saturday group, but he is the exclusive GM for a separate group on Tuesday nights. Since the two groups don't share any people except him, he had this idea: secretly farm out the antagonist's decisions to us, the Saturday group. This would be done between games in a Slack channel, limited to more strategic plot decisions rather than in-the-moment tactical ones. He's going to wrap up his D&D 5E game this week and they're going to decide on a new game. No matter what that ends up being, me and three other players are going to be the collective AI of the Big Bad of the new game. It's intended to liven things up for him, and juke out his Tuesday players a bit since they know him really well. He says his players have been guessing the antagonist's moves too easily, so they may know him too well.

We'll fix that. :devil:

That sounds incredibly interesting and I eagerly await to hear how it goes.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Agrikk posted:

If the whole group is dead, does the campaign proceed? Do you all roll up new characters? Does the GM just retcon the session?
In one campaign of 1E D&D the DM vaastly underestimated the power of a zombie musk creeper and after it wiped the dungeon floor with our hapless good guy goons we continued on as the evil party that were part of the module as antagonists. Thus started the first evil campaign we played.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Agrikk posted:

Our GM just let us redo our last round before we died at price of not leveling up at the end of the dungeon. This time around, we managed diplomance our way to convincing the zombie PC to let us kill him instead of attacking us. There were a lot of tears and sadness from the party

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

the_steve posted:

That sounds incredibly interesting and I eagerly await to hear how it goes.

Ditto. I’d love to see how players react to another group’s decisions and come up with ways to challenge them. Although I’m concerned that this is how Elder Brains are formed.

X X X X X

According to my DM, calling a Hag the “Ringo Starr” of her coven is a step too far.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CobiWann posted:

Ditto. I’d love to see how players react to another group’s decisions and come up with ways to challenge them. Although I’m concerned that this is how Elder Brains are formed.

X X X X X

According to my DM, calling a Hag the “Ringo Starr” of her coven is a step too far.

I can never hear Ringo Starr without thinking of that one clip where someone asks him what it's like being the greatest drummer in the world and one of the other Beatles says he's not even the best drummer in the band.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

The Glumslinger posted:

Our GM just let us redo our last round before we died at price of not leveling up at the end of the dungeon. This time around, we managed diplomance our way to convincing the zombie PC to let us kill him instead of attacking us. There were a lot of tears and sadness from the party

Next time, try some duplomancy and give him some blocks to play with. Win-win

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Oh, and then we killed the dragon lich the necromancers summoned

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

I'll keep the thread posted as the newly-dubbed Phyrexian Machine Collective gets rolling on my buddy's new game. He's wrapping up his current campaign tomorrow, and then they're going to vote on what they're going to play next. It sounds like it'll be 7th Sea, Star Wars (Edge of the Empire), or D&D 5E again.

(7th Sea is a homebrewed, unofficial "second edition" that I wrote with some help from a few friends years ago, well before the official Second Edition. We all liked the good parts of 7th Sea but got fed up with its bullshit, so my version is kind of a natural build-out of my group's accumulated changes over the years.)

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
Had a very fun session in which my DM pulled out something I wasn't honestly expecting. My party and I had just returned to my character's home town after a fight with a hag's daughter who had turned herself into a spirit naga, and had converted about 25% of the towns population to yuan ti in a plan against a threat coming from her mother. The town was in chaos as the charm that had affected most of the people wore off. So we ended up splitting the party a bit with two of the party calming down townsfolk who are trying to put to the sword the turned villagers who had no choice in the matter. One player went to the town druids to see if they could help. I ended up going back to the church my character was raised in.

There was a friend that I had some suspicions that might have been charmed, but got worse when I found their cloths in a chamber in the naga's caves with a bunch of skinned people being set up to be used as suits. I went up to him at the front of the church and after a bit of a screw up with the naga (wanted to try talking to her first since we did have a beef with her mother, but another party member inadvertently insulted her while trying to negotiate) I wanted to try and be peaceful work things out. So I hinted to him I knew whats up and that we should go and talk in private. He trys to deflect, and after I pull out his cloths to drive the point home he asks if what I had was a bag of holding (it was). A quick scuffle took place where I lost an athletics check against him.

Now my initial thoughts were poo poo there goes the bag, and our loot inside of it. What I didn't expect was him to open the bag and start to scream FOLLOW MY VOICE FOLLOW MY VOICE FOLLOW MY VOICE over and over again. At this point one other player aside from me know whats up and the other players are wonder what the hell this guy was doing. He legs it, and I'm assuming to try and kill the head of the church as she happens to be the one who raised my character. As I'm trying to catch him the bag is getting heavier. I have the choice to try and wrangle it or drop it in the middle of a crowded church. Above game I know these people are probably screwed, and in game my character has no idea what the bastard wearing my friend's skin has done. So I drop it and go after him to save my character's mother.

One of the other players is asked to roll two d20. They get a 19, and a natural 1. As I am trying stop one horrible thing I am treated to the screams of the civilians/church goers as the bagman opens his way out of our bag, and starts grabbing people like pringles to shove into the bag. The player who went to the druids walks in to the church seeing the bagman, terrified civilians, and about 15 little pieces of paper/tokens left for the people already abducted. He manages to hold his own against it for a few rounds, almost gets dragged into the bag, and watches as it grabs one more civilian before disappearing into the bag. So if a citywide yuan ti transformation issue isn't enough we're now going to be sleeping with one eye on our bag of holding from now on.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

I like the idea of framing a TPK like it’s the end of the home release of Clue.

Well that’s one way it could have played out! But what if that wasn’t the real story?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

midwifecrisis posted:

I like the idea of framing a TPK like it’s the end of the home release of Clue.

Well that’s one way it could have played out! But what if that wasn’t the real story?

Wait, that's not right, we didn't all fall into the spike pit. Of course I'm sure, I'm telling the story here! Uh, let me just back up a bit...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Railing Kill posted:

(7th Sea is a homebrewed, unofficial "second edition" that I wrote with some help from a few friends years ago, well before the official Second Edition. We all liked the good parts of 7th Sea but got fed up with its bullshit, so my version is kind of a natural build-out of my group's accumulated changes over the years.)

Our rule of thumb for 7th Sea is "1st edition rules, 2nd edition lore."

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I recently ran a brief intro 5e game for some workmates and the end boss battle was just a comedy of errors.

The barbarian kicks down the door with a battle cry, foregoing any chance at stealth. The wizard hangs back, watching the rear (they had thoroughly investigated and cleared every room so there was no threat there), and both the ranger and cleric take aim at various magical-looking apparatuses around the room, instead of the bad guy, and both roll natural 1s.

The BBEG casts Scorching Ray (his only 2nd level spell and spell slot), and crits against the barbarian, the cleric, and the ranger. Cleric goes down immediately, barbarian has 2hp, and the ranger (with healing potions on-hand) leaves the room to go join the wizard, all but leaving the cleric (who was full on healing spells) to die.

The barbarian charges, deals 3 point of damage, and is dropped by Shocking Grasp. The ranger and wizard, having been warned against standing too close together while fighting the BBEG, hang out in the small anteroom all but waiting for the bad guy to arrive.

Burning Hands. Ranger goes down.

The wizard turns tail and runs. A Benny Hill-style chase throughout the dungeon ensues that leaves both casters out of real spells, and the wizard down to low single-digit hit points. The barbarian has bled out while the cleric and ranger are stable but unconscious.

Eventually the wizard turns to face his opponent, and begins to cast Fire Bolt (a minimally-damaging cantrip) over and over again while the bad guy tries to grab him. Over six consecutive rounds the BBEG utterly fails to hit the wizard’s minimal armour class for Shocking Grasp and is eventually defeated.

The party, “victorious,” left the temple and were crowned might heroes.

Luckily everyone had a good time and they want me to run a longer campaign, but what a weird final confrontation it ended up being, both from the die rolls and the party’s tactics.

FreshFeesh fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 4, 2022

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

FreshFeesh posted:

I recently ran a brief intro 5e game for some workmates and the end boss battle was just a comedy of errors.

The barbarian kicks down the door with a battle cry, foregoing any chance at stealth. The wizard hangs back, watching the rear (they had thoroughly investigated and cleared every room so there was no threat there), and both the ranger and cleric take aim at various magical-looking apparatuses around the room, instead of the bad guy, and both roll natural 1s.

The BBEG casts Scorching Ray (his only 2nd level spell and spell slot), and crits against the barbarian, the cleric, and the ranger. Cleric goes down immediately, barbarian has 2hp, and the ranger (with healing potions on-hand) leaves the room to go join the wizard, all but leaving the cleric (who was full on healing spells) to die.

The barbarian charges, deals 3 point of damage, and is dropped by Shocking Grasp. The ranger and wizard, having been warned against standing too close together while fighting the BBEG, hang out in the small anteroom all but waiting for the bad guy to arrive.

The wizard turns tail and runs. A Benny Hill-style chase throughout the dungeon ensues that leaves both casters out of real spells, and the wizard down to low single-digit hit points. The barbarian has bled out while the cleric and ranger are stable but unconscious.

Eventually the wizard turns to face his opponent, and begins to cast Fire Bolt (a minimally-damaging cantrip) over and over again while the bad guy tries to grab him. Over six consecutive rounds the BBEG utterly fails to hit the wizard’s minimal armour class for Shocking Grasp and is eventually defeated.

Luckily everyone had a good time and they want me to run a longer campaign, but what a weird final confrontation it ended up being, both from the die rolls and the party’s tactics.

lol

But enough about my first run in Darkest Dungeon.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FreshFeesh posted:

Had this happen in Ravenloft a few weeks ago - we were fighting a Druid on a large water skater in a cave half-filled with water. No one could hit anything on either side, my Rogue and the Wizard ended up face-down in the water numerous times where one would drop and the other would roll them over so our Druid could bring them back up, the Fighter was nickeled-and-dimed to 0 hit points three times, and the Druid got knocked out and had to make a deal with the Queen of Air and Darkness (which, you know, is ALWAYS good idea) to get back up and finally kill the bad guy. A one-hour fight took, no joke, FOUR hours over Zoom and Roll20.

X X X X X

According to our party's Cleric, my Warlock's book-in-progess A Practical Guide to Ethical Necromancy should consist of one word - DON'T.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

My 5e goth College of Lore bard really wants to take some necromancy, but for some reason the rest of the group is up in arms about "desecration" and "crimes against decency" and "eternal damnation." :rolleyes:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Railing Kill posted:

My 5e goth College of Lore bard really wants to take some necromancy, but for some reason the rest of the group is up in arms about "desecration" and "crimes against decency" and "eternal damnation." :rolleyes:

See, this is why my PC's (Warlock with an Undead Patron) end game is becoming a Mummy Lord. You can escape eternal damnation AND have a cool rear end pyramid!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

CobiWann posted:

See, this is why my PC's (Warlock with an Undead Patron) end game is becoming a Mummy Lord. You can escape eternal damnation AND have a cool rear end pyramid!

:hmmyes:

My bard has enough of a fascination with the unknown that she might have a hard time not getting turned by a vampire if we ever run into one. Keep it eternal, keep it spooky. :spooky:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Railing Kill posted:

:hmmyes:

My bard has enough of a fascination with the unknown that she might have a hard time not getting turned by a vampire if we ever run into one. Keep it eternal, keep it spooky. :spooky:

Yeah, but there's the whole drinking blood thing, and with liches, it's the whole eating souls things.

My PC's slightly unethical but the mom who abandoned him may or may not be shacking up with Tanicus' first vampire (who became one when his body was inhabited by a devil, and we don't screw with the infernal) and his patron's the Lich King, so he's thinking of taking the third option. Tanicus doesn't have an all-powerful Mummy Lord, so there's an undead niche waiting to be filled!

(there's also becoming a Death Knight by killing a current Death Knight, but who wants that?)

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

CobiWann posted:

Had this happen in Ravenloft a few weeks ago - we were fighting a Druid on a large water skater in a cave half-filled with water. No one could hit anything on either side, my Rogue and the Wizard ended up face-down in the water numerous times where one would drop and the other would roll them over so our Druid could bring them back up, the Fighter was nickeled-and-dimed to 0 hit points three times, and the Druid got knocked out and had to make a deal with the Queen of Air and Darkness (which, you know, is ALWAYS good idea) to get back up and finally kill the bad guy. A one-hour fight took, no joke, FOUR hours over Zoom and Roll20.

X X X X X

According to our party's Cleric, my Warlock's book-in-progess A Practical Guide to Ethical Necromancy should consist of one word - DON'T.

Necromancn't

Your warlock hit back about Enchantment magic being super hosed up and messing with free will but nobody's up in arms about that, they just hate crumbling ruin goths?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

One of my girlfriend's co-workers mentioned something about wanting to get a game going, so I might actually get to play in a campaign for once.
Hopefully I will have good stories to bring back and not catpiss.

I've been eyeing up a Tomelock of some sort so that I can cast ALL OF THE RITUALS, plus I kinda want to change things up since I usually (always) tend to gravitate towards melee characters.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Yeah, but there's the whole drinking blood thing, and with liches, it's the whole eating souls things.

My PC's slightly unethical but the mom who abandoned him may or may not be shacking up with Tanicus' first vampire (who became one when his body was inhabited by a devil, and we don't screw with the infernal) and his patron's the Lich King, so he's thinking of taking the third option. Tanicus doesn't have an all-powerful Mummy Lord, so there's an undead niche waiting to be filled!

(there's also becoming a Death Knight by killing a current Death Knight, but who wants that?)

Yeah. My bard is chaotic good, so vampirism would be tough sledding for her fundamental kindness. Is immortality without immorality so much to ask?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

So, been running a 5th edition game for teens at the library, they’ve gotten to level 3 in Waterdeep (Dragonheist). I had a barbarian from an 8th level one-shot as an NPC that showed up in the same tavern as the players. Teen A tried to seduce the barbarian with their scholarly bugbear monk and botched it. I had the NPC let them down easy but we’re on the goofier end so Teen A acted distraught. Teen B and their Dragonborn Sorcerer wanted revenge for Teen A’s sake, and follows the barbarian. B jumps the NPC’s companion from invisibility. Barbarian rages, and wipes the alley with B’s sorcerer in 3 turns. He had Haste available and chose to keep fighting despite everyone telling him to run. I tell him he’s alive but is being put into custody.

Also, the barbarian was a thinly veiled King Dedede

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
There's something a bit strange about how necromantically sucking the life out of someone is fine, but subverting their will, setting them on fire or turning them into a toadstool is perfectly acceptable conflict resolution.

Railing Kill posted:

Yeah. My bard is chaotic good, so vampirism would be tough sledding for her fundamental kindness. Is immortality without immorality so much to ask?

Just feed from Lawful Evil people. There are loads.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The X-COM Files campaign I've been running came out of hiatus by their not-Brock Samson putting the creature from the black lagoon in a headlock to capture their first non-human intelligent being.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

There's something a bit strange about how necromantically sucking the life out of someone is fine, but subverting their will, setting them on fire or turning them into a toadstool is perfectly acceptable conflict resolution.

Just feed from Lawful Evil people. There are loads.

:thunkin:

SOLD.

:drac::hf::black101:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

JustJeff88 posted:

Another PC - “Oh boo-hoo. Poor necromancers are getting a bad reputation. Why don’t you have this ethical discussion with the revenant that was summoned by the consequences of your actions?”

That's my DM for you. Making PC's face the consequences of their actions.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Making PC's face the consequences of their actions.

Dastardly!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

A few of us made Wanderhome characters last night. Here's what I came up with:

Blaggutt the Chair Maker is a big, strong, dumb fisher. He is a reformed criminal, a Vagabond.

Blaggutt the Chair Maker makes only chairs. He likes to make people comfortable, to help them take a load off, and he can't do that learning how to make "fancy" things like "tables" or "cabinets."

Blaggutt the Chair Maker has been falsely accused of cheating at cards. He absolutely has never and will never cheat at cards.

Blaggutt the Chair Maker has also been accused of grand larceny, which he vehemently denies. He may be a thief and a liar but he's not a creep (although he may not understand the definition of the word "larceny").

Blaggutt the Chair Maker is sometimes called a traitor and a liar, and he is ok with that.

Blaggutt the Chair Maker has a book of magic spells that he ought not to have. He had been using it to learn how to read, but he had to stop.

Blaggutt the Chair Maker no longer has a shadow.

Blaggutt the Chair Maker met a Caretaker of Forgotten Gods whom he helped out of a scrape in a situation when no one else trusted the Caretaker.

Blaggutt the Chair Maker stole an apple and accidentally got the Caretaker accused of theft, so he felt bad about it.

Blaggutt the Chair Maker is pretty sure there's an apple seller somewhere with a lingering head wound, and he feels bad about that too.

Blaggutt the Chair Maker knows a Veteran who seems pretty certain that violence is a tool of those in power. Blaggutt thinks he has a different lesson to teach the Veteran about power, but he's not ready to talk about it yet.

Blaggutt the Chair Maker killed his captain and fled the band of brigands, the only family he ever knew.

Blaggutt the Chair Maker insists he is neither a monster nor a hero.

Railing Kill fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 9, 2022

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Baggett the Chair Maker only pawn in game of life.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Blaggutt the chair maker talks like The Rock

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Blaggutt the chair maker talks like The Rock

Blaggut the Chair Maker! Talks! Like DUFFMAN! Oh yeahhhh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Blaggut the Chair Maker always plays by the rules.

Blaggut the Chair Maker is built on Fourth Edition rules.