Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

History Comes Inside! posted:

Lol if you ever play your gaming portables anywhere except the sofa, in bed, or on the shitter

In the past two years my switch has been used exclusively on planes. But then I saw Slay the Spire was available on the iphone so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Why would you take a toy to the toilet? Eat more fibre.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

History Comes Inside! posted:

Steam deck doesn’t cost $700 even for the fanciest one

It starts at $400 and you can just get a microsd card

Forgive me, I will be honest I haven't paid much attention to the steam deck. Let me try again: a base steam deck is four hundo plus microsd at the very cheapest you can possibly obtain one and a base switch (which we will assume is a lite) is a buck fifty all day long. You can often obtain them cheaper, if all that matters is that you get to play the games. An OLED switch is, what, three-fifty new and you can just go buy one right now. The microSD cancels out, really, so you don't have to worry hard there. I can't imagine getting a switch and living with the 32GB on-board.

This isn't exactly a "A 944 will cost you seven grand" kind of situation. Calling the two a similar price point is a lazy and unfair comparison and I have to admit I really would like to think better of mono. I mean, maybe ya'll in a way different tax bracket than me where dropping a six hundo is an appropriate apology and not the kind of expense you have to plan months in advance for. If that's the case, great! But that line of thinking doesn't really apply to a ton of people, haha, so I wonder what the value of sharing it is.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Every game sold by Nintendo is full price forever and Steam has massive sales regularly :shrug:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
This is a dumb de-rail.

Let me get this back on track

Playstation Stars launched in NA today. It's loving dumb. Complete challenges by buying games you don't want. Those challenges aren't retroactive, which is really loving dumb.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Casnorf posted:

Forgive me, I will be honest I haven't paid much attention to the steam deck. Let me try again: a base steam deck is four hundo plus microsd at the very cheapest you can possibly obtain one and a base switch (which we will assume is a lite) is a buck fifty all day long. You can often obtain them cheaper, if all that matters is that you get to play the games. An OLED switch is, what, three-fifty new and you can just go buy one right now. The microSD cancels out, really, so you don't have to worry hard there. I can't imagine getting a switch and living with the 32GB on-board.

This isn't exactly a "A 944 will cost you seven grand" kind of situation. Calling the two a similar price point is a lazy and unfair comparison and I have to admit I really would like to think better of mono. I mean, maybe ya'll in a way different tax bracket than me where dropping a six hundo is an appropriate apology and not the kind of expense you have to plan months in advance for. If that's the case, great! But that line of thinking doesn't really apply to a ton of people, haha, so I wonder what the value of sharing it is.

You just made up numbers. Show me a link to a brand new switch of any kind from a retailer at 150 ? Give it up.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

bows1 posted:

You just made up numbers. Show me a link to a brand new switch of any kind from a retailer at 150 ? Give it up.

what does a pre-owned steam deck cost and can you tell me where to find one

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

it is vitally important that i be wrong no matter what i say so you know the fact that i literally bought my wifes switch lite for 150 because i wanted one that day is only the smallest of sample sizes and im just a stupid schmuck who cannot possibly know anything about what things cost because who the gently caress is an expert on the internet

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Casnorf posted:

a base steam deck is four hundo

Casnorf posted:

An OLED switch is, what, three-fifty new

Casnorf posted:

Calling the two a similar price point is a lazy and unfair comparison
Fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting Casnorf.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Casnorf getting casnorf’d lol. Posts so highly controversial they violate the laws of Lorentz Invariance. Price is the same regardless of frame of reference, fucko.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JBP posted:

Why would you take a toy to the toilet? Eat more fibre.

A little bit of me time

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But which is the better one to take to the toilet

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

acksplode posted:

Fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting Casnorf.

comparing a premium model to a base level sure is you know what man i love you anyway

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Casnorf posted:

what does a pre-owned steam deck cost and can you tell me where to find one

No one is talking about pre-owned stuff. Price Points are not just made up by what you bought one time.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Escobarbarian posted:

Just lol if you don’t have a spare Piss5 set up in your bathroom

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Aipsh posted:

who was the guy who was PS remoteing in to his PS5 from the bathtub? That person had the right idea.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Edit : see???? /\/\/\/\

Aipsh posted:

Please, you remote play into it from your giant smartphone

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The PS5 engulfs any bathroom ever devised

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Has anyone told Casnorf that we have an edit button?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

PlayStation Stars seems like another quality Sony service offering lol. As mentioned your past purchases and trophies are not retroactive.

Let’s take a look at the value. Currently if you buy one of the games listed in the store picks campaign you get 50 points. Let’s see how many you need for a worthwhile reward.

Awesome.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

man nurse posted:

PlayStation Stars seems like another quality Sony service offering lol. As mentioned your past purchases and trophies are not retroactive.

Let’s take a look at the value. Currently if you buy one of the games listed in the store picks campaign you get 50 points. Let’s see how many you need for a worthwhile reward.

Awesome.

If you are a PS+ subscriber (any tier), you also get 4% back on your purchases, including tax, in the PS Stars rewards points. This is roughly equivalent (or I'll say "comparable" since this page is touchy about comparing numbers) to what the Nintendo and Xbox rewards programs offer.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

bows1 posted:

who was the guy who was PS remoteing in to his PS5 from the bathtub? That person had the right idea.

Hello, i did this deep into ff14

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Twibbit posted:

Has anyone told Casnorf that we have an edit button?

theres a block button?!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone have some examples of what the "digital rewards" are for doing any of this PlayStation Stars stuff? Are we talking 3D models you can at least spin around or just PNGs?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

ErrEff posted:

Anyone have some examples of what the "digital rewards" are for doing any of this PlayStation Stars stuff? Are we talking 3D models you can at least spin around or just PNGs?

Profile stickers and stuff like that, I'm told. I supposedly have one already but gently caress man I don't feel like remoting in to my PS5 to see some shiny that isn't a game. Which, honestly, is kinda telling of the whole process. It's fine, on par with what the others got, less good than the old Sony Rewards, and doesn't really do much that makes it a must-do other than it's strictly better than if you don't. How exciting.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

ErrEff posted:

You can only see and manage them on the mobile app for now. They said PS console support is coming later. Digital rewards so far are little trophy images you can put on a virtual shelf.

Here are the rest of the rewards as of launch day, 10/5/2022.

PS Store Wallet Credit:
$20.00 - 5,000 points
$5.00 - 1,250 points

PS Store Rewards:
Cult of the Lamb - 6,250 points
It Takes Two - 10,000 points
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 15,000 points
The Quarry - 17,500 points
Hades - 6,250 points

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

And if you want to complete the Hit Play/1994 campaign for a trophy collectible, these are the games you need to launch. They're all included in PS+ I believe so you shouldn't need to buy anything.

Also the servers are being slammed right now so it might take a while for you to get credit for launching them. I still haven't yet.

Stay x Circle of Life: Returnal
Baby I Love Your Way x Go West: Death Stranding: Director's Cut
Mr. Jones x Regulate: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
More Human Than Human: Detroit: Become Human
Wild Night: Until Dawn
Streets of Philadelphia: Heavy Rain

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Seems like a huge waste of time and I'll probably ignore it exists other than passively getting a few hundred points a year that I can't do anything with besides getting dumb "collectibles"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Casnorf posted:

What? Why are you even bringing up the SD card and then admitting it’s a moot point when you’d likely have to get one for either system. And then acting like the $50 difference between a switch oled and a lowest model deck is huge? The prices on both systems can vary and the gap gets bigger, but at the end of the day what you get for $400 with a entry model deck makes the switch oled look like a joke. And that’s not even taking into account that you can play much better versions of games on the deck for a fraction of the price. The switch has absolutely nothing to offer outside of Nintendo exclusives at this point.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Baggot posted:

And if you want to complete the Hit Play/1994 campaign for a trophy collectible, these are the games you need to launch. They're all included in PS+ I believe so you shouldn't need to buy anything.

Also the servers are being slammed right now so it might take a while for you to get credit for launching them. I still haven't yet.

Stay x Circle of Life: Returnal
Baby I Love Your Way x Go West: Death Stranding: Director's Cut
Mr. Jones x Regulate: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
More Human Than Human: Detroit: Become Human
Wild Night: Until Dawn
Streets of Philadelphia: Heavy Rain

Do you have to launch them all? Same for the fighting game one?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

triple sulk posted:

Seems like a huge waste of time and I'll probably ignore it exists other than passively getting a few hundred points a year that I can't do anything with besides getting dumb "collectibles"

I already posted the rewards you can get, including PSN credit and games.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you have to launch them all? Same for the fighting game one?

For this mission you have to launch them all. For the fighting game one, you only need to launch one of the matching games.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Baggot posted:

For this mission you have to launch them all. For the fighting game one, you only need to launch one of the matching games.

Well drat. Death Stranding is in the higher PS+ Tier. Only one I don’t have.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm not sure if base Death Stranding on PS4 counts but you could try that one if it's available to you?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

You need at least PS+ Extra for Death Stranding subscription-wise, the middle tier subscription.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

What? Why are you even bringing up the SD card and then admitting it’s a moot point when you’d likely have to get one for either system. And then acting like the $50 difference between a switch oled and a lowest model deck is huge? The prices on both systems can vary and the gap gets bigger, but at the end of the day what you get for $400 with a entry model deck makes the switch oled look like a joke. And that’s not even taking into account that you can play much better versions of games on the deck for a fraction of the price. The switch has absolutely nothing to offer outside of Nintendo exclusives at this point.

idk it also has the nicer screen and isn’t as bulky

I might ask for a Steam Deck for Christmas. But there are so many other things I could get instead that I would use more. It’s not like I even have that big of a Steam library. But I got to use one recently and it’s so loving cool omg

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

the PiS5, of course!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Steam Deck is insanely good. It's the best thing I've bought in years.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I already have a good gaming PC and almost no use for a mobile gaming device these days, otherwise I'd be all over it. It's such an obviously killer product in its category. I expected this first rev to be the janky exploratory version, but by all reports Valve pretty much hit the mark. It's also really exciting to have a company bringing a viable Windows alternative for PC gaming to market. Just a blessed device all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Adding non-steam stuff is kind of a pain but once you know what you’re doing it’s not so bad