Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ship hunter types who spend hours looking for that perfect variant get angry when people ask for ship customisation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I wonder how 'relaxed mode' will look like. If it gets rid of the constant need to recharge systems then I'll surely revisit the game. I have many hours in it but I grew tired of the recharging.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

marktheando posted:

ship hunter types who spend hours looking for that perfect variant get angry when people ask for ship customisation

I think ship parts should be able to be sought out and found, and then used to build your own ship.

Colouring should always be available. Maybe behind a bit of a nanite-spending gate (less so than freighters), but always available.

Edit: what's the likelihood of a sale this Friday when the update hits? 100%? Is that what usually happens during an update? My wife owns it, so I've been playing through our shared steam library, but now that I have a Steam deck, I need to own it for myself. I would've bought it already (got the deck on Monday), but it'd be kinda silly to pay full price mere days before it (likely?) goes on sale.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 5, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dunno, it's $30 from GMG right now. https://www.greenmangaming.com/game...pwEmSQ0&irgwc=1

I think it went on deep sale there around summer for $12 when I picked it up for the first time. That was probably right around expedition.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Dunno, it's $30 from GMG right now. https://www.greenmangaming.com/game...pwEmSQ0&irgwc=1

I think it went on deep sale there around summer for $12 when I picked it up for the first time. That was probably right around expedition.

Oh wow, thanks! Bought it immediately.

Not that it matters, but does Steam list, for others to see, when you get a game? :lol: my steam profile is going to show "Owned Product since Oct 5 2022. 215 hours played."

:thunk:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

marktheando posted:

maybe they could put ship customization in the "relaxed mode" for people who play this game to chill out instead of to grind? or would that still bother the ship hunter types somehow?

i mean from a worldbuilding perspective (lol) it makes zero sense that it's possible for someone to get a new paint job for an entire huge rear end freighter but not a tiny little fighter, but whatever

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I do see the value in rarity for ship types but for that to be engaging there has to be a path to acquiring them beyond pure chance or looking up coordinates outside of the game.

Spitballing here but what about adding in a planetary shipyard or dealership structure where you can customize a ship using what they have on offer, and maybe certain races specialize in certain ship types, etc.

Customization via parts you collect + allowing players/NPCs to trade said parts could also be an interesting approach?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

I do see the value in rarity for ship types but for that to be engaging there has to be a path to acquiring them beyond pure chance or looking up coordinates outside of the game.

Spitballing here but what about adding in a planetary shipyard or dealership structure where you can customize a ship using what they have on offer, and maybe certain races specialize in certain ship types, etc.

Customization via parts you collect + allowing players/NPCs to trade said parts could also be an interesting approach?

Oh man, I would love this to death.

Great, now I'm disappointed that this specific system isn't in the game. :colbert:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh man, I would love this to death.

Great, now I'm disappointed that this specific system isn't in the game. :colbert:

I've been wondering for a year why it wasn't. :argh:

Building your own ship from parts has always been more interesting than searching infinite parking lots for one that looked cool.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd buy it.

NMS Lego pitch.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Oh no , the updates to inventories in the Waypoint update really fucks everything up.
They've slightly expanded the number of tech slots for everything but you can no longer have tech working in any other inventory so no more having 3 hyperdrive upgrades in tech and 3 in general etc.
My freighter, ship and suit are all badly nerfed now, lost so much hyperdrive range not to mention you can't have much variety of ship guns now as there just isn't room for them anymore.
I honestly can't be arsed to reorganise everything either, my inventories are a mess from how I had them.
The only good thing is that the storage units are vastly expanded and you can stack some things you couldn't before.

Helith fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 7, 2022

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah, this seems like a serious misstep - Unless they're planning on some way to increase Tech Slots?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Easiest thing would be to just double the effects of each module. Having to sacrifice normal inventory space for modules always felt pretty jank, like a bug that they couldn't fix because it became so widely used or something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shockeh posted:

Yeah, this seems like a serious misstep - Unless they're planning on some way to increase Tech Slots?

Max tech slots are now 60, storage is maxed at 120, and the cost to buy them has been reduced.

The problem is that ships right now don't have those slots unlocked. :shrug:

Also, from the patch log, which I recommend everyone read, this stood out to me:

A number of instances where the cursor was being reset to the centre of the screen during an interaction have been fixed.

Halle loving lujah!

Overall, like I was trying to tell my somewhat upset wife, the changes have been justified. They seem like they suck at first but overall, it'll be better.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Helith posted:

Oh no , the updates to inventories in the Waypoint update really fucks everything up.
They've slightly expanded the number of tech slots for everything but you can no longer have tech working in any other inventory so no more having 3 hyperdrive upgrades in tech and 3 in general etc.
My freighter, ship and suit are all badly nerfed now, lost so much hyperdrive range not to mention you can't have much variety of ship guns now as there just isn't room for them anymore.
I honestly can't be arsed to reorganise everything either, my inventories are a mess from how I had them.
The only good thing is that the storage units are vastly expanded and you can stack some things you couldn't before.

Do the tech in General just disappear or show up as not working?
Half my General slots are tech, on me and my ships. Having 6 movement upgrades was great.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1578384695989002241

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

While I can understand the frustration at first, this update looks like it'll be wonderful. Can't wait to play tonight, and it's a long weekend in :canada:! :toot:

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

"Tech can be packaged in cargo too."

I haven't played the update yet, but does this mean you can install tech in the cargo slot instead of the main inventory now?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

CaptainSkinny posted:

"Tech can be packaged in cargo too."

I haven't played the update yet, but does this mean you can install tech in the cargo slot instead of the main inventory now?

I think "packaged" means you can place and stack modules there, but they won't have any effect so it's more for transport than anything else.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve been waiting for a nice comfy update like this to get started. Is there an expedition tied to it?

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

They've combined the regular storage with cargo, so now there's only "Cargo" and "Technology". You can't install Technology into non-Technology spaces anymore, and any Tech you had before the patch has been uninstalled and turned into "Archived Technology". On the plus side, it looks like any Tech can be freely uninstalled and reinstalled as a single unit so in the short-term you can mix and match what's installed until you get more Technology slots. Exosuit space is cheaper to buy on station (75k for the slot in my screenshot, you can choose to unlock a Tech or Cargo spot) and Drop Pod Coordinates have been turned into Charts so you can just use it in your inventory (no Signal Booster).

I'm not sure what the deal with upgrading ship storage is going to be, though. At the ship upgrade station it wanted 40 million units for one spot, I don't remember how much it was before but it's still more than I want to shell out right now. I only got back into the game a couple of weeks ago, so I don't know how how easy it is to get the starship Storage Augmentations.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

loving finally!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Beef Hardcheese posted:

They've combined the regular storage with cargo, so now there's only "Cargo" and "Technology". You can't install Technology into non-Technology spaces anymore, and any Tech you had before the patch has been uninstalled and turned into "Archived Technology". On the plus side, it looks like any Tech can be freely uninstalled and reinstalled as a single unit so in the short-term you can mix and match what's installed until you get more Technology slots. Exosuit space is cheaper to buy on station (75k for the slot in my screenshot, you can choose to unlock a Tech or Cargo spot) and Drop Pod Coordinates have been turned into Charts so you can just use it in your inventory (no Signal Booster).

I'm not sure what the deal with upgrading ship storage is going to be, though. At the ship upgrade station it wanted 40 million units for one spot, I don't remember how much it was before but it's still more than I want to shell out right now. I only got back into the game a couple of weeks ago, so I don't know how how easy it is to get the starship Storage Augmentations.

Paying to upgrade ship storage was always hideously expensive, and it's better to search out starship space augmentations, or get them from scrapping ships. It might've gotten a bit cheaper (40 Mil instead of 50, maybe?) but it's still the Rich Player Option.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So is the new update live on ps5? With the new tutorial? Wanna give this a shot again after years

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Is there a new tutorial? I started up the game again a few days ago, but I was planning on restarting for the new on-ramping. But from reading the patch notes it's mostly suppose to be self-assigning lower modifiers in custom so you can reach the newer stuff faster?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
All the changes are good, but then it suddenly dawned on me: Did they say anything about galaxy jumps?

Before the patch, the mechanic was that every tech installed in your normal inventory gets trashed, and everything in your tech slots stays unharmed.

So, what happens now that generic inventory stopped existing? Is everything except multitools now immune to galaxy jump damage? Or is everything getting trashed now?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Someone please tell me that I can move my save to the Switch version. Please (I am sure it's impossible.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm very glad suddenly that I never got around to starting a new save with the last big update. Gonna go in totally fresh.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ephori posted:

Someone please tell me that I can move my save to the Switch version. Please (I am sure it's impossible.)

If you have a hacked switch it might not be impossible, I kind of doubt they'd make their save format intentionally super different between versions

also I hopped on the NMS discord for a minute to see people claiming that "installing tech in the main inventory was an exploit" so it's nice to see some things absolutely never change

e: It also looks like as a side effect of the general inventory changes, multitools have +6 maximum slots now too which is legit kickass

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 7, 2022

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, :lol:, that must be nearly a hundred upgrade packages. I guess I overdid it a bit with upgrading ships and suit and everything.

But I took this as a chance to switch my man ship to a nice, canary yellow fighter. If I have to put all this work in to unfuck inventories, there's no reason to not use some of the neglected parts of my collection. Regardless of new or old ship, the work of upgrading and installing is roughly the same.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

Lots of people tweeting to Sean about letting us have 6 active tech to make up for removing the ones in General. Seems like a relatively easy fix. I spent a fair amount of time min-maxing for ship weapon cooldown, and sprint/jetpack charge.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Oh hey, the tech/cargo split got applied to exocraft too and expanded the inventories, now I don't have to have literally 0 cargo and "decide which atmosphere you want to be immune to" on the bike

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Oh hey, the tech/cargo split got applied to exocraft too and expanded the inventories, now I don't have to have literally 0 cargo and "decide which atmosphere you want to be immune to" on the bike

It also extends to the storage units. They suddenly got twice as much slots! But :lol: at the conversion algorithm deciding to empty one of them into my main freighter cargo area for some reason. Why? No idea, but at least there wasn't much in that thing.

Only multitools aren't affected ('cause they never had more than one inventory, of course)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Still playing around with things but one thing to very much call out is the split between "autosaves" and "manual saves" doesn't seem to exist anymore (like it used to, anyways), there's just "rolling perpetual update" saves and "a real save that happens at every point an autosave or a manual save previously happened"

Useful for crash recovery but something to be very aware of if you made use of that auto/manual differentiation for anything like freighter farming previously

It also looks like bulk auto-mining has been nerfed again? There still seems to be a pretty hard cap of ~2,500-3,000/hr but my existing farm seems to be mining at half the speed it was previously, I'm not sure if they've implemented something that reduces the rate based on "number of miners present on the node regardless of network" or if they've just increased the DR falloff per miner per network.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 7, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really, REALLY love the fact that you can effectively go look for a multitool you like the look of, and then just transfer poo poo over from other multitools! No more unnecessary upgrade hunting, if you've already got great ones.

That is :discourse:

Same goes for ship tech, of course.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Meh... game on pause for week till most of the kinks get sorted out, my Steam Library overfloweth. :)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Multiplayer on, but The Nexus is empty on PS5 again it seems. Also I'm not a fan of lumping cargo and main inventory together, it's so messy. And losing so many upgrade modules really does hurt.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm torn, I may feel worse about it if the ship shotgun gets super-noticably worse or my jetpack usage is super-noticably reduced, but
- the increase on just the overall number of exosuit tech slots means you can reclaim at least some of the missing stats from group synergy that was previously only doable in your general inventory anyways
- there's a ton of tech that I tended to skip entirely like "ship weapons that aren't the shotgun" just because I didn't want to clog up my general inventory space with it, so having the extra spare room to play with it may be more of a blessing than the curse of not being able to sextuple up on one tech type

Also it's Hello Games so if people yell enough about it I have no doubt we'll end up with numbers at least approaching what we previously had, either via extending the number of allowed modules or just flat buffing numbers on existing ones, so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

PeePot posted:

Lots of people tweeting to Sean about letting us have 6 active tech to make up for removing the ones in General. Seems like a relatively easy fix. I spent a fair amount of time min-maxing for ship weapon cooldown, and sprint/jetpack charge.

Seems like part of the idea is to make you more deliberate with choosing where you want to focus your upgrades, rather than having 6x modules for a bunch of things which I can understand.

That said, there was a line about movement upgrades for the jetpack getting more powerful so maybe it's not too bad even with 3 upgrades now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really, REALLY love the fact that you can effectively go look for a multitool you like the look of, and then just transfer poo poo over from other multitools! No more unnecessary upgrade hunting, if you've already got great ones.

That is :discourse:

Oh poo poo, I didn't think about that. Been avoiding ever changing multitools because I didn't want to deal with upgrading a new one. That's cool.