Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tann posted:

roll better, scrub

Go on then, explain how Gnolls are even remotely fair or well balanced. They can appear as early as floor 3, they are completely immune to damage of less than 2 from any source, and they can OHKO level 1 characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

CainFortea posted:

I know that letting enemies run away has no impact on gameplay. But it triggers a Chase and kill predatory system inside me somehow and I absolutely hate to let them run away. Watching that last goblin flee infuriates me

Let them do it enough and there's an unlockable item that makes them run away sooner, which has saved my rear end a few times

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jedit posted:

Go on then, explain how Gnolls are even remotely fair or well balanced. They can appear as early as floor 3, they are completely immune to damage of less than 2 from any source, and they can OHKO level 1 characters.

I think that was a joke. Anyway Gnolls are fine. A hard early monster, sure, but as long as they don't smash your yellow character 5 turns in a row they're beatable. And even then to be honest. Just focus on getting hits of 2/mana for burst. That's doable even at level 1.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I just want to "Thank you tann!" This is 100% my favorite game of the year and will be installed on my phone until the end of time.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I want to say "gently caress you, tann" because this game makes me late for work when I play it for 45 minutes every morning

I think my only balance complaint is that ranged damage is ridiculously valuable now with the addition of Thorns and more on-hit effects, to the point that Ranger and Sharpshooter are way ahead of the other orange upgrades

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This is the best mobile game out there.

Also wow I was not expecting this big of an update.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm avoiding using the Unlock It All button, just went through my first Normal fight. Lotta new, but it doesn't really feel all that different from version 1 yet. Won on my first go, beating a Dragon/Caw/Archer final boss with a Ludus/Barbarian/Keeper/Shaman/Weaver team.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Amazing update, thank you so much. Things definitely feel a lot harder, but a lot of that may just be due to needing to get used to the new stuff and the spikes it can generate. Definitely feels like being able to stack a lot of single target block has become much better than it was with the addition of fanatics.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
Raid mode sure is a thing. Especially the final boss :stonklol:

Really crazy how many modes and difficulties there are in the game now!

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Have to say, so far I'm not enjoying it as much as I did before the update. I was pretty good at completing normal difficulty and had started doing hard but now I'm struggling to get through normal. Not even in a fun way, enemies seem harder and my characters seem worse.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Someone explain mend to my dumbass please.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Mend sets a hero's current HP to 3. If for some godforsaken reason they have less than 3 max HP it'll set their max HP to 3 as well.

Incidentally, I haven't noticed that much of an increase in difficulty? There are definitely more monsters with more gimmicks but it feels like you just gotta have a balanced team able to react to many situations. And IMO, the state of items are way better. Feels like there's a ton more stuff that's directly useful or just interacts with heroes better.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Maybe it is a bit harder, I used a different system for balancing this time. There's also >100 blessings available on easy mode now. You don't really get anything for winning on harder difficulties (except unlocking even harder stuff) so just play whichever thing you find most fun.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Arzaac posted:

Mend sets a hero's current HP to 3. If for some godforsaken reason they have less than 3 max HP it'll set their max HP to 3 as well.

Incidentally, I haven't noticed that much of an increase in difficulty? There are definitely more monsters with more gimmicks but it feels like you just gotta have a balanced team able to react to many situations. And IMO, the state of items are way better. Feels like there's a ton more stuff that's directly useful or just interacts with heroes better.

I literally just had a hero that was about to die with +1 used mend and he went to +2. It made him more dead.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Mend will also reduce a hero's HP to 3 if it's more than 3 so that's probably what happened. Like the spell says, it sets it to 3 no matter what value it was previously

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Really wish I could undershoot the blessing point requirement like I can overshoot a curse point requirement. Really sucks to get two blessings that would be fun together but not be able to run them because I can't make exact change with what's left over.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The game is definitely harder across the board now but the accursed Goblins + Wisps level 13-15 room that was harder than either of the final bosses no longer exists, so it's a net loss in difficulty IMO

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

One of the final bosses now has an ability that damages your bottom party member when you use mana. Which is a new kick in the nuts.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm getting some absolutely disgusting synergy with Wizard, Enchanter, and Leader. All three of them can enhance or modify other allies' sides, many of those boosts can stack, throw in an inspiration spell and some really stupid numbers started coming out of my attacks. It lasted until the Dragon ate my entire team

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

drat this items only mode is no loving joke. I made it to Dragon but my team simply didn't have the capacity to kill him before he killed everyone.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

redleader posted:

😭 that was such a rare treat anyway

That note is a lie anyway, because there is the unlimited power of Dragon Egg Sushi! You can even use it on sorcerer and generate infinite* mana!

*Note that running this build is the kind of painful that makes a developer reply to requests to remove it with statements like "The DevTeam has arranged an automatic and savage punishment for pudding farming. It's called pudding farming."

My favorite effect so far is definitely Echo. Wanna get that dolphin again ASAP.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Overkilling a Caw between two Bandits appears to only cause the top one to flee. I checked that it works properly when other enemies are between the Bandits, but not with a Caw. (Maybe the "move to the back on damage" script interrupts the Bandit overkill check?)

The Path To True Ultimate Power: unlock Generated heroes in the beta version of 2.0, turn option on, use a Custom Party, load up current 2.0, begin Custom Party with your new party of five Glitches, upgrade your Glitches to tier 5 and then tier 6 generated blue heroes, enjoy your guaranteed 15+ HP and horrifying mana generation. (I did load up the beta after doing a run or two of the current version, which may have something to do with the Glitches appearing?) That was the goofiest Hard run I have ever done.

The "Bones appear on enemy death" Curse is a lot of fun, and it adds some serious tension to getting the Alpha boss. Past a certain point it feels more beneficial to you than to the enemy side, though: the free +1 damage to enemies adds up (and provides a good way to kill ranged enemies or weakened Caws), and from mid t2 onward it's pretty trivial to kill the Bones before they actually threaten you. That Unfair run was easier than most of the Hard runs I've done.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Since playing the demo I have regretted my ownership of an apple cleverphone. I 100% understand this is a non-trivial task but I certainly wish Slice & Dice was available for my device.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Teledahn posted:

Since playing the demo I have regretted my ownership of an apple cleverphone. I 100% understand this is a non-trivial task but I certainly wish Slice & Dice was available for my device.

I have a lovely old Android phone that it plays nicely on. You could easily get some cheap old working thing and have it as a shitter game station.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I've got a weird interaction where I put a mirror mask on a twin, but only one twin gets the other hero's sides. I see why it's happening, the evil twin is copying the hero 'above' (the terrible base sides of the good twin), but it doesn't feel like what should happen to me.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Really nice as a quick mobile game, demo is a lot of fun, just purchased.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

"The grave is trying to flee! Do you let them escape?"

Well, that's one way to get Benevolence.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Surely putting ritual on a +reroll cantrip won't matter. Im never going to actually use that dice so it's a free powerup for extra rerolls :downs:

Narrator: it mattered

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Won a couple times on normal. Not finding it massively more difficult, but there is certainly more to think about with the greater enemy variety and unfamiliar character types.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I feel like my success rate on Hard would probably be higher if I didn't slam pick the blessing and immediately get far over my head. Enemy single-use is so delicious though.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I had an interesting custom Unfair run where I took all blues, the curse that kills you the third time you use a die on your turn, the blessing that gives you +2 mana on death, and a couple of other irrelevant curses that I don't remember. Every round was a DPS race where I would let someone who was going to die anyway sacrifice himself to the curse, but toward the end my mana generation was through the roof. I beat hexia in one turn but I almost wiped my whole party in the process from mana burn.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Slaan posted:

Surely putting ritual on a +reroll cantrip won't matter. Im never going to actually use that dice so it's a free powerup for extra rerolls :downs:

Narrator: it mattered

Do you mean rite? I too found out that rule interaction did not work how I had hoped.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Whoops, yeah, rite

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, looking at some of the unlocks, how the hell do you beat a Classic run in 35 turns or less? Even on Easy this seems like a ridiculous ask.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
You probably need to build a turn1 infinite combo so you can spend at least half the run winning on turn1

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Finally got a win on Normal with 3 blue/2 red. Felt like a busted combo but was a little tight against the mana burn final boss.

Really enjoying the game. Doesn't feel like it has quite the depth or flexibility of StS or Into the Breach, but those are basically perfect games so can't hold it against it. Maybe when I get better I'll notice more combo opportunities etc

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love how all (most?) of the level 0 items don't do anything but each one doesn't do anything in a unique way.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 6, 2022

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Some of them are secretly useful in niche situations!

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
One of the level 0 items adds a side with 7 pip damage all with mana cost. It was pretty nice to combine it with a blindfold to remove the keyword from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Culka posted:

One of the level 0 items adds a side with 7 pip damage all with mana cost. It was pretty nice to combine it with a blindfold to remove the keyword from it.

I changed it to replace the bottom side because I thought that was too easy :)