Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Though more seriously it's more to show that a relatively mundane thing by standards of most sci-fi is an outrageous wonder demonstrating how bad the Butlerian Jihad has crippled humanity's development and how Leto II both greatly suppresses technology while also flaunting his hypocrisy- especially considering the device that transcribes his thoughts and is meant to be discovered after his death.

The Golden Path is basically Leto II making them 'smoke the whole pack' as it were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's not Dune Generations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

The elevator was a room yet not a room;
it enabled one to travel by standing still;
its use meant one could briefly exist in the nameless space-between-floors: in two places at once.

Generations of socio-neuro-sexual training are required to create beings capable of using the Elevator.

This whole thing sounds like Pynchon to be honest

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though more seriously it's more to show that a relatively mundane thing by standards of most sci-fi is an outrageous wonder demonstrating how bad the Butlerian Jihad has crippled humanity's development and how Leto II both greatly suppresses technology while also flaunting his hypocrisy- especially considering the device that transcribes his thoughts and is meant to be discovered after his death.

The Golden Path is basically Leto II making them 'smoke the whole pack' as it were.

That was my confusion though- did he really force the galaxy into like a pre-industrial revolution stasis? I wouldn’t have thought it was that strict. I was imagining like… the ability to use electricity at least. I can’t remember now- was that village that Dunc and Siona visited just like mud and thatched roofs?

Also if the ixians are permitted to invent a no-room for Leto then the technological disparity between Ix and the rest of the galaxy is like millennia-long? This makes no sense.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I was a backer :angel:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I love it at the end of the sixth book when Odrade goes to Junction, and Frank had clearly been doing a lot of his writing from lovely Travelodge receptions and clearly thought "Yeah, this would be the ultimate insult to subject your enemy to".

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Henceforth this is how I will refer to Bronson Pinchot.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Soul Dentist posted:

This whole thing sounds like Pynchon to be honest

Well, I'd read it.
I'd probably give up about two chapters in, though

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

That was my confusion though- did he really force the galaxy into like a pre-industrial revolution stasis? I wouldn’t have thought it was that strict. I was imagining like… the ability to use electricity at least. I can’t remember now- was that village that Dunc and Siona visited just like mud and thatched roofs?

Also if the ixians are permitted to invent a no-room for Leto then the technological disparity between Ix and the rest of the galaxy is like millennia-long? This makes no sense.

Some technology remains for select parts of the population and factions in order to continue administering the empire. Leto is also purposefully cultivating opposition so leaves around some of the tools to end his existence. The vast majority are in the dark ages.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Finished God Emperor for the first time a few weeks ago. I know we won’t get it but I’d love to see the Villeneuve adaptation of it

Just like three hours of dialog involving a worm man, with the occasional cart based action scene

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

One of the real problems with continuing the movies is that Jason Momoa makes a good regular Duncan Idaho, but wouldn't make a very good ghola Idaho.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

One of the real problems with continuing the movies is that Jason Momoa makes a good regular Duncan Idaho, but wouldn't make a very good ghola Idaho.

We will find out in Messiah I guess

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Testikles posted:

Some technology remains for select parts of the population and factions in order to continue administering the empire. Leto is also purposefully cultivating opposition so leaves around some of the tools to end his existence. The vast majority are in the dark ages.

Chekhov's lasgun, chekhov's elevator and chekhov's prostetic wormdick.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Chekhovs within chekhovs

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Finished God Emperor for the first time a few weeks ago. I know we won’t get it but I’d love to see the Villeneuve adaptation of it

Just like three hours of dialog involving a worm man, with the occasional cart based action scene

The border scene from Sicario but with a giant worm on a rascal scooter crossing a bridge.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Chekhovs Chairdog.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Can't forget the climbing climax

repugnant
Jun 29, 2005

You can only think of me.

pnumoman posted:

Can't forget the climbing climax

The climbax.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Personally can't wait to see Momoa play nerd Idaho Hayt

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Idaho dying in a knife fight instead of an explosion makes his return make much more sense

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1577365890386907136

quote:

The show is set 10,000 years before the events of “Dune” and is based on the novel “Sisterhood of Dune” by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. Per the official logline, the show “follows the Harkonnen Sisters as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, and establish the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit”

I thought this was dead for sure, especially after HBO Max started cancelling everything, but I guess not.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Complete waste of time. They should make a Heretics show instead, it will have about as much mass appeal and also be way more entertaining than whatever drivel KJA cooked up

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well they who shall not be named were always really good with writing about subjects I was interested in, it's just the writing that licked taint.

If they aren't writing these...maybe there's hope?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

*furiously taking notes on which pussy contractions enslave men best* my sisters in 15000 years will thank me for this

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Riot Bimbo posted:

*furiously taking notes on which pussy contractions enslave men best* my sisters in 15000 years will thank me for this

is this too long to be a thread title?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mister Speaker posted:

is this too long to be a thread title?

the whole thing is, but i think the first bit captures the vibe

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

sebmojo posted:

:yeshaha:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1577365890386907136

I thought this was dead for sure, especially after HBO Max started cancelling everything, but I guess not.
That's one hell of a contract that the Herbert estate managed to negotiate, that someone didn't think they could get away with breaking it - I guess the parent company must've realized that they'd lose the rights to the movie et al. and figured it'd cost them more in the end.

skasion posted:

Complete waste of time. They should make a Heretics show instead, it will have about as much mass appeal and also be way more entertaining than whatever drivel KJA cooked up
Of course it's a waste of time, it's the Herbert estate that's actively involved.

Heretics, unfortunately, isn't ever going to be made in any form.

sebmojo posted:

:discourse:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sebmojo posted:

lol

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That's one hell of a contract that the Herbert estate managed to negotiate, that someone didn't think they could get away with breaking it - I guess the parent company must've realized that they'd lose the rights to the movie et al. and figured it'd cost them more in the end.

Of course it's a waste of time, it's the Herbert estate that's actively involved.

the heroes we needed, but not the ones we deserved... Thank You Brain Herbert :patriot:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kalel posted:

the heroes we needed, but not the ones we deserved... Thank You Brain Herbert :patriot:
:mods:

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
What a shame, they actually have talented actors as the leads. Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson active involvement insures it's going to be drippy dogshit, but I could see a decent series if they weren't part of it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

Variety exclusively reported that Diane Ademu-John is the creator, co-showrunner, and executive producer on “Dune: The Sisterhood.” Alison Schapker serves as co-showrunner and executive producer. Johan Renck will direct the premiere episode and executive produce. Renck previously worked with Watson on “Chernobyl.”

Denis Villeneuve, Jon Spaihts, Scott Z. Burns, Matthew King, John Cameron and Cait Collins executive produce with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate. Anderson serves as co-producer. The series is co-produced by HBO Max and Legendary TV.

Legendary is also producing the recent film reboot of “Dune.” The first of the two planned films was released in October 2021, grossing just over $400 million worldwide. The sequel is currently in production and is expected to be released in November 2023. Villeneuve is the director of both films, with Spaihts and Villeneuve writing the screenplays of both films as well.

“Dune” won six Academy Award nominations after its release, and also received nominations for best picture and best adapted screenplay.

Good news: KJA and BH will not write a thing

Alarming news: KJA will co-produce. But if he isn't handling the writing that's positive.

Giving Brian Herbert an executive producer credit means nothing.

Summary: tentatively not flushing this until I see more

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I hope we see a young hopeful nun discover jom gabbar

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pretty cool that DV was presumably able to leverage Dune's success to worm his way out of directing anything in this thing

also can't wait to see all the groan-worthy callbacks and foreshadowings. e.g. protagonist steps out of frame but the camera lingers on a chair with a dog sitting next to it while Gregorian chanting swells

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

10,000 years before the events of Dune is just like the end of this century, isn't it?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'd have to go dig up the timeline but it's actually still a number of millennia down from us. The calendar as of Dune was set based on the founding of the Spacing Guild, post-Jihad, as I recall. There was a high human golden age of ascending technology and expansion for quite a while before that.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I just found it. We're at like 24,000 years before the events of the first book right now.

First book takes place around the 10,200 AG range and the first use of atomic weapons on Terra is like 14,500 BG

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Tree Bucket posted:

Jejune
superficial planet

LOL

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Wonder how much they're going to go into the details of the butlerian Jihad in the show and whether they're going to pay any lip service to Anderson's version of events. It would be kind of annoying if going to Dune 2 there was the conception that 10,000 years ago was effectively Terminator skynet world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Given how the recent Dune TTRPG had to include a ton of the "expanded universe" nonsense in the history timeline of Stuff That Won't Actually Matter To Your Game, it's probably a condition of the license these days to fit that poo poo in anywhere they can.