Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Harminoff posted:

Card Survival now has a free version if you wanted to try it without buying/refunding it!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2147680/Card_Survival_Tropical_Island__The_First_Days/

Sweet I've had my eye on this one. Also the one review for it tickles me because of the new expectation of what roguelikes are to bring to players:

quote:

Obviously try it, its free. But $35.95 (aussie) for the full game is hilarious, I don't think the game even has meta progression?

I found the game confusing and frustrating, seems like you have to brute force 'try everything till you work out what you are meant to do'.
I rage-uninstalled. But I might calm down and try it again later.. Maybe just learning the basics is frustrating but opens up later? I'd guess so.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post!

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
Vault of the Void just left early access. Anyone play it and recommend it? I'm a sucker for card games but I hated Eranorth, it dragged on forever and the only meaningful choices seemed to be during character creation.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
TVRUHH update: i have unlocked every monster currently in the game. you know how people were saying their least fights are lila and veyeral rain? well you are going to love null unit which combines those two fights + the gimmick of null battles :)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I actually kinda like Null Unit. :shrug:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the only part of veyeral rain that is bad is the challenge to beat it without breaking any parts

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

IronicDongz posted:

the only part of veyeral rain that is bad is the challenge to beat it without breaking any parts

i do think it feels a tad bit too slow. nova is ofc a longer fight but it changes itself up a lot so it doesn't feel as bad

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

drink_bleach posted:

Vault of the Void just left early access. Anyone play it and recommend it? I'm a sucker for card games but I hated Eranorth, it dragged on forever and the only meaningful choices seemed to be during character creation.

I played it. It's mechanically very sound, but last I saw the difficulty was still stratospheric because the dev listens too much to the grogs on his discord.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

drink_bleach posted:

It's fun and has a pretty interesting card and energy economy. The classes are also distinct and support multiple builds. Incoming damage only resolving the turn afterwards opens up a ton of design space.

Negatives for me are the minimalist ui that still wastes a ton of space and has a bit too much Hearthstone in it for my liking, that it's sometimes rather difficult to keep track of all the ways enemy buffs and debuffs will interact, and that runs last just a bit too long.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
News of the sequel inspired me to install the latest version of Elona+. Within 5 minutes I was being chastised for accidentally trying to steal some woman's horseshit. Literally. Ah old times.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SettingSun posted:

Sweet I've had my eye on this one. Also the one review for it tickles me because of the new expectation of what roguelikes are to bring to players:

I have decided for the sake of not driving myself crazy that I don't like Roguelikes anymore, I like games that are like Rogue. Maybe we can call them Likerogues.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mithross posted:

News of the sequel inspired me to install the latest version of Elona+. Within 5 minutes I was being chastised for accidentally trying to steal some woman's horseshit. Literally. Ah old times.

hey maybe she was gonna bag it up and sell it on the side of the road as fertilizer. why you gotta mess with her income

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have decided for the sake of not driving myself crazy that I don't like Roguelikes anymore, I like games that are like Rogue. Maybe we can call them Likerogues.

Rogue clones.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1944570/Boneraiser_Minions/

this is probably the best of the vampire-survivor type games ive played so far, up there with brotato

its a twist in that you're a fairly vulnerable necromancer type guy who collects bones from dead guys to raise minions, so you're kind of raising a counter horde to the ever-increasing enemy horde. but theres a lot of depth and mechanics on top of that:

- you can customize the graveyard the game takes place in, adding various props and graves that can help you and let you summon new minion types (theres a broken pot you can place that lets you summon the hero pots from elden ring) or act as traps or buffs

- you can build wide or tall, either going for a lot of low level minions, or using those resources to upgrade your existing minions. there gets to be pretty advanced stuff like fusing multiple minions into larger or elite minion variants (like i was able to combine an archer and a bomber minion into a pistolero skeleton, which i could have then fused with others into a giant pistolero, or demonically possessed into a demon skeleton guy. i've not explored the systems very fully yet cause i havent played it for that long.

- there is metaprogression but it exists more in the form of being a steady drip of new mechanics than a ramping up cost for diminishing return stat boosts. like you start without any of the advanced minion fusion stuff but can access it basically as quickly as you want because they aren't expensive and can be freely refunded.

- the most interesting metaprogression element is you get the ability to freely upgrade the enemy army, so you can introduce tougher variant waves and period champion spawns and such. these include like whole new factions of enemies so its not just a palette swap thing, and choosing which ones you want active can tailor a run a lot. like you can enable the slime faction, who will show up sometimes and dont drop bones but do turn into gems on death and such.

- there are spells (use items) and relics (passive items) which have a super wide bunch of effects

- there are classes that focus on different playstyles (lots of minions, big minions, demon minions, casting spells, finding treasure) etc.

- it has the charming art and sense of humor of stuff like spirits abyss and stramium immortaly, but i think is much more accessible in difficulty and interface terms than those. which isnt to say its easy, it ramps up pretty hard, but it isnt something where you're gonna be dying instantly 800 times in a row before you can get into the game.

- you can get hats

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Osmosisch posted:

It's fun and has a pretty interesting card and energy economy. The classes are also distinct and support multiple builds. Incoming damage only resolving the turn afterwards opens up a ton of design space.

Negatives for me are the minimalist ui that still wastes a ton of space and has a bit too much Hearthstone in it for my liking, that it's sometimes rather difficult to keep track of all the ways enemy buffs and debuffs will interact, and that runs last just a bit too long.

I like the complex buff/debuff interactions and run length didn't feel egregious to me, but definitely agreed on the Hearthstone-feeling UI. I think overall I'd put it upper-mid in spire clone rankings - there's enough mechanical complexity and a high enough skill ceiling that I feel like I could happily play it for a very long time if I had access to no other games, but nobody's life is incomplete without it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

look at this amazing giant pot dude i summoned, he sits in the ground and shoots out baby pots from his head

also the humor is a lil more bawdy in this one

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

juggalo baby coffin posted:

look at this amazing giant pot dude i summoned, he sits in the ground and shoots out baby pots from his head

Very much a "wahoo the sentences I can get away with in English are fun huh" writing style, which requires the reader to be okay with flagrant disregard for misuse of "thou"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

juggalo baby coffin posted:

"whom tosses"?
"thou is"?
disgusting

efb

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm sorry if this has been asked recently but the thread is Too Big -

are there any good traditional roguelikes on the Switch nowadays apart from Tangledeep? i feel like it's been a long time

vvv i completely forgot about the mystery dungeon games, which i also know about. every time i've tried one it has felt weirdly pointless and easy to me but maybe it's time i give shiren a try vvv

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 5, 2022

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Your Computer posted:

i'm sorry if this has been asked recently but the thread is Too Big -

are there any good traditional roguelikes on the Switch nowadays apart from Tangledeep? i feel like it's been a long time

Shiren the Wanderer is still the best roguelike on switch.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I have not actually played any of them, not having a switch, but there are actually three Mystery Dungeon games released on switch in 2019-20.

On top of the latest Shiren game there is also Chocobo Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX

It's a really long-running series, the normal formula is to have a bunch of shorter easier dungeons as the story campaign and then you unlock the 'real roguelike' dungeons with like 50-100 floors that don't allow bringing in outside items as a postgame thing

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Do you know any roguelikes which have like standing/on knee/prone positions? VATS style aiming? Motion vectors so you can't just easily stop from run? Rotating viewport depending on the direction player looks at?

Just wonder if there are any unexplored gimmicks left.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I have not actually played any of them, not having a switch, but there are actually three Mystery Dungeon games released on switch in 2019-20.

On top of the latest Shiren game there is also Chocobo Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX

It's a really long-running series, the normal formula is to have a bunch of shorter easier dungeons as the story campaign and then you unlock the 'real roguelike' dungeons with like 50-100 floors that don't allow bringing in outside items as a postgame thing

i did give the pokemon mystery dungeon a try when it came out but it just felt very pointless to me. like i know it's a game for babies kids but you had one button to auto-explore and one button to fight which auto-picked your abilities and everything for you so it was kinda just pressing two buttons and seeing the pokémon run around. the maps in every mystery dungeon i've tried also feel really barren? maybe i just haven't gotten to the good stuff but it feels like all of them are just generic cave

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ihmemies posted:

Do you know any roguelikes which have like standing/on knee/prone positions? VATS style aiming? Motion vectors so you can't just easily stop from run? Rotating viewport depending on the direction player looks at?

Just wonder if there are any unexplored gimmicks left.

CDDA has like all of those I think lmao
Motion vectors are only for vehicles though

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

CDDA has like all of those I think lmao
Motion vectors are only for vehicles though

Thanks, I'll try that and see how they made it work in practice!

Edit: not nearly what I had in mind. Time to start making my own roguelike then..

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 5, 2022

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Has anyone made a rogue-like racing game?

I'm thinking like procedurally generated tracks, pre-programmed "boss encounters", and randomized persistent powerups / weapons. Why not exist?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Your Computer posted:

i did give the pokemon mystery dungeon a try when it came out but it just felt very pointless to me. like i know it's a game for babies kids but you had one button to auto-explore and one button to fight which auto-picked your abilities and everything for you so it was kinda just pressing two buttons and seeing the pokémon run around. the maps in every mystery dungeon i've tried also feel really barren? maybe i just haven't gotten to the good stuff but it feels like all of them are just generic cave

If you’re looking for visual variety in the maps Shiren isn’t going to blow you away, but the gameplay is rock solid and has tons of depth. I can’t recommend it enough for someone looking for an oldschool roguelike.

PMD is by the same devs but it’s pretty much just Shiren with the difficulty turned to 0 and all the interesting parts of the gameplay stripped out, it’s not representative at all.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"whom tosses"?
"thou is"?
disgusting

efb
it's the same dev as Straimium Immortaly, which is written the same way-ish:

quote:

~ In the far stars of Straimium, Queenis nestle in Cubicus nests. There they birth meany nasties to wage ever lasting Cubos War against rivaly Queeni Emperess. Straima Ninjas, holiest warriors, lead these Immortaly Incursions. Are you one such hallow Straima? Dare you breach the... Cubicus? ~

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

yeah all his games have that kind of idiosyncratic speech pattern. somehow it doesnt come off as cloying or twee like you always feel it should. dev may be some kind of giant talking rat though

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
here's another stupid question i have now that i am finally getting a bit into actually playing roguelikes - what's the most castlevania/spoopy (traditional) roguelike out there

i crave skeletons that throw their bones, whips and vampires, mummies and bats. the cheesier and the more oldschool horror the better

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
idiosyncratic patterns are fine and that quote from straimium seems good

i just hate the "someone just learned an olde-timey word exists and doesn't know how to use it right so they slap it in as a 1-to-1 replacement for a modern word" style. using whom and thou wrong is really common in bad writing that's supposed to sound medievalish and/or pretentious online.

like this page from the steam screenshots seems fine, it's playing around a bit with language but at least all the verb conjugations match

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Your Computer posted:

here's another stupid question i have now that i am finally getting a bit into actually playing roguelikes - what's the most castlevania/spoopy (traditional) roguelike out there

i crave skeletons that throw their bones, whips and vampires, mummies and bats. the cheesier and the more oldschool horror the better

Boy do I have a game for you.

https://slash.itch.io/serenade-of-chaos

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Golden Krone Hotel, maybe?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SettingSun posted:

It does have metaprogression in a sense though, the longer you survive the more starting options you can unlock

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"requires java 1.5 or higher"

h... how old is this

ToxicFrog posted:

Golden Krone Hotel, maybe?
will check this one out

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I guess it got renamed due to trademark C&D shenanigans

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
The best troll in Boneraiser Minions isn't the language, it's that hitting "back" on the main menu takes you back to the intro scroll instead of quitting. You have to specifically select Quit Game to actually quit. Or you could just Alt-F4 I guess

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Seconding the "Brotato pick up sounds are too wet" comment, as well as the "these aren't potatoes, they're obviously eggs" one.

Beta patch you can opt-in adds an alternative pick up sound you can toggle on in the options. Way better than before!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SpacePope posted:

Beta patch you can opt-in adds an alternative pick up sound you can toggle on in the options. Way better than before!

lmao that the developer did this

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Deakul posted:

Nitro Kid kinda owns!

On top of its aesthetic, it's a pretty slick Fights in Tight Spaces clone with some fun gun-kata stuff.
I got into the test pretty quick after hitting apply.

I watched a streamer play it a bit and god drat the soundtrack is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Your Computer posted:

"requires java 1.5 or higher"

h... how old is this

I have a copy on one of my machines that dates to 2006.