Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Other former commissioners may not escape scrutiny. https://twitter.com/HenryBushnell/status/1577298793120387075?s=20&t=uJt-qFZd3k9-52eD4H775Q

I also hope SafeSport is burned down and replaced because it's clearly not what it says on the tin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Konstantin posted:

From what I've read of the report, the Thorns shouldn't be playing. There needs to be consequences for attempting to cover up abuse and obstructing an investigation into that abuse, kicking them out of the playoffs sounds entirely appropriate.

That would punish the players who were abused more than it would punish anyone responsible for the abuse

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
...the gently caress?

https://twitter.com/AlexAzziNBC/status/1577401404863483928?s=20&t=EMnSdb9jKhOz0Un8N_VK7Q

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Thorns released Merritt’s head rear end statement around the same time Becky Sauerbrunn and Alana Cook were talking with the media.

https://twitter.com/838_carlisle/status/1577390188829020160?s=46&t=S9lmv3epsmEoUrc8vcldAg

highme
May 25, 2001

2/3rds of the rot is gone

https://twitter.com/RyanTClarke/status/1577712643217162240

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Oh hey, something remotely resembling good news to come out of this.

Now if Paulson can gently caress all the way off that'd be great.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
you know the old saying, 7 strikes and you’re out

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

US-England has been a fun one to watch, but boy England seem to be getting some home cooking when it comes to the refs (I have no loving clue even with computer modeling how you call the buildup to Rodman's goal offside).

e: This is the only angle that was broadcast, so possibly the only one used to judge:

https://twitter.com/alexmorgan13/status/1578476483265253376

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 7, 2022

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
To even it up USA got to keep 11 players on the pitch so…

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The center ref is sure going to have one interesting post-match review after calling a ball that went off a player's butt a handball.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

USA WINS 1-2

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/equalizersoccer/status/1579574228856107008?s=46&t=mKCoqtAoLr4mZiylxb8OAg

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Really not liking the USWNT doing their best impression of the MNT :smith:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Switzerland win their WC playoff against Wales with a very tasty goal in the 120th minute

https://twitter.com/carmen_stadi/status/1579920132515975168

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Really not liking the USWNT doing their best impression of the MNT :smith:
Pretty sure they had a quite large mental distraction for these two games.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

#5 Kansas City Current @ #4 Houston Dash - Both teams traded away wins during the regular season, so Houston decided to wear their road whites for this one. It didn't quite work as the Current picked up a 2-1 victory on a 100' (!!!) goal as the last action of the game.

#6 Chicago Red Stars @ #3 San Diego Wave - San Diego almost gifted the game to Chicago, but managed to equalize in the second half. After lots (and lots and lots and lots) of 2nd half stoppage it would end 1-1. Thankfully it did not stay tied after 120' as probable-MVP Alex Morgan's shross would deflect off of Alyssa Naeher's hand and go in (so sad to see NT on NT violence :smith:) to give the Wave a 2-1 AET victory.

The semi-final matchups will be:

#5 KC Current @ #1 OL Reign - October 23, 5PM EST, CBS Sports Network (Both teams traded 1-0 home wins this season)
#3 San Diego Wave @ #2 Portland Thorns - October 23, 7:30PM EST, CBS Sports Network (one of Portland's rare home losses as the SD won 2-0 there after playing a 2-2 draw in SD earlier in the season)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Oh hey, good news:

https://twitter.com/TheNCCourage/status/1582023644963692544

(Jaelene Daniels [née Hinkle] is a homophobe who refused the suit up for a USWNT game because they'd be wearing rainbow numbers then went on The 700 Club to whine about being persecuted; the Courage kept her for 3 years after this...then re-signed her after she spent a year retired)

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
Meanwhile, in Europe, the UWCL group stages start up in ~18 hours. For countries without a broadcast deal the matches can be watched on Youtube.

Most interesting matchup in the first round is probably Lyon vs Arsenal.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Defector has a huge article up on the Chicago Red Stars.

How The Chicago Red Stars Became The Epitome Of NWSL Dysfunction

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Well that was a rather depressing read. :smith:

Zwachro posted:

Meanwhile, in Europe, the UWCL group stages start up in ~18 hours. For countries without a broadcast deal the matches can be watched on Youtube.

Most interesting matchup in the first round is probably Lyon vs Arsenal.

Watching Lyon - Arsenal right now and boy did Lyon's back line not cover themselves in glory on Arsenal's opener.

edit: 2-0 Arsenal at 23'. And this game is being played at Lyon. Yikes.

edit 2: 4-1 Arsenal at 68' turned into 5-1 just as I was typing this up lol

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 19, 2022

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
4-1 now lmao.

e: 5-1

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
I thought it might get interesting as Lyon has a ton of injuries, but yikes, wasn't expecting this

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The draw for the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup will take place tomorrow (7:30PM NZDT, 8:30AM CET, 2:30AM EST, livestream here). The 32 teams will be placed into 8 groups from the following 4 pots, which are based on the latest FIFA rankings:

Pot 1
New Zealand (hosts, pre-slotted into A1)
Australia (hosts, pre-slotted into B1)
USA (somehow kept their #1 seed ranking despite the 2 straight losses)
Sweden
Germany
England
France
Spain

Pot 2
Canada
Netherlands
Brazil
Japan
Norway
Italy
China
South Korea

Pot 3
Denmark
Switzerland
Ireland
Colombia
Argentina
Vietnam
Costa Rica
Jamaica

Pot 4
Nigeria
Philippines
South Africa
Morocco
Zambia
Playoff Winner A (Portugal vs. Cameroon/Thailand)
Playoff Winner B (Chile vs. Senegal/Haiti)
Playoff Winner C (Taipei/Paraguay vs. Papua New Guinea/Panama)

It would be really convenient if the US can get drawn into group C, E or G because I'll happen to be in Auckland during most of the group stage and those groups play in NZ.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 22, 2022

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

USA (somehow kept their #1 seed despite the 2 straight losses)
Why wouldn't they have kept their #1 seed? They're still #1 in the FIFA rankings in spite of the two losses.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I meant ranking, derp.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

whypick1 posted:

I meant ranking, derp.
Ah right. That would likely be due to the fact that the ELO-style ranking system that FIFA recently switched to places little weight on friendlies IIRC.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Ah right. That would likely be due to the fact that the ELO-style ranking system that FIFA recently switched to places little weight on friendlies IIRC.

They also don't update it immediately, the next one for women isn't until Dec 9th.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The last ranking was done on the 13th, after those 2 losses.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Draw results:

Group A
New Zealand
Norway
Switzerland
Philippines

Group B
Australia
Canada
Ireland
Nigeria

Group C
Spain
Japan
Costa Rica
Zambia

Group D
England
China
Denmark
Chile/Senegal/Haiti

Group E
USA
Netherlands
Vietnam
Portugal/Thailand/Cameroon

Group F
France
Brazil
Jamaica
Taipei/Paraguay/Papua New Guinea/Panama

Group G
Sweden
Italy
Argentina
South Africa

Group H
Germany
South Korea
Colombia
Morocco

Looks like I'll be able to see a rematch of last year's final while I'm down there for sure and maybe all 3 games if I adjust my itinerary. :rock:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The NWSL semifinals just wrapped up:

#3 San Diego Wave @ #2 Portland Thorns - An early strike from the visitors was cancelled out by a golazo from the hosts. In second half stoppage a clearance by the Wave found the feet of Crystal Dunn at the top of the 18 that she then volleyed home to send Portland to the final with a 2-1 victory.

#5 Kansas City Current @ #1 OL Reign - Some clowncar defending in the 6 yard box gave KC an early goal. A breakaway in the second half gave them their second. A record-setting crowd for OL Reign of 21,491 would see their team attempt that many crosses (only being a tiny bit hyperbolic) but only muster a few weak shots right at KC's keeper. KC wins 2-0.

So the NWSL final will be #2 Portland Thorns vs. #5 Kansas City Current. October 29, 8PM EST at Audi Field in DC. Airing on CBS.

highme
May 25, 2001

A golazo & a thunder bastard, hell of a pair of goals from the Thorns.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

New UWCL matchday, the first games starts in just under an hour.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrUQXESZrdvoJQVXjZDl9pr_Wd-_zc7dL

26. Oct - 18:45 (CEST)
Real Madrid - PSG
St. Pölten - Roma

26. Oct - 21:00 (CEST)
Chelsea - Vllaznia
Slavia Praha - Wolfsburg

27. Oct - 18:45 (CEST)
Juventus - Lyon
Rosengård - Barcelona

27. Oct - 21:00 (CEST)
Arsenal - Zürich
Benfica - Bayern

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Watching Lyon @ Juventus. Lyon opened scoring with a sweet touch from Lindsay Horan, but Lyon just conceded a rather brutal OG to make things level. Stadium played "Song No. 2" by Blur on the equalizer, which is not something I expected but am grateful for because it's not loving Seven Nation Army.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Mariona Caldentey just did a screamer from midfield in the Rosengård game. It looked liked Rosengård would be able to hold on for a 2-1 loss or maybe a 2-2 tie, but I think Barca just secured the victory and they'll probably score again now.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

hoping kc wins tonight

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Not like that they won’t, Thorns off to a nice start

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

hmm. not ideal

highme
May 25, 2001

Becky Sauerbraun is such a badass she’s starting at Centerback and AR.

Also FUKCFC.

Sophia with the shrug.

https://twitter.com/attackingthird/status/1586515661186269184?s=46&t=Hi5g0EwLjfwEsJV70UUijg

highme fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 30, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

LAME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

Edit is not quote. I’m not sure what KC is trying to do with lumping balls into Bixby’s hands from midfield is.

Lol

https://twitter.com/iccwomen/status/1586519046941442048?s=46&t=Hi5g0EwLjfwEsJV70UUijg

highme fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 30, 2022