Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Every rumor has been pointing at the 2023 iPhone being USB-C, which will pretty much leave just AirPods, some (all?) wireless Beats, the base iPad, and AppleTV remotes with Lightning, and I suspect the base iPad is getting a redesign to look like the rest of the lineup.

Audio devices and tablets will have to jump too in 2024, I think only the remote will be out of scope in that list. Also magsafe is not safe(AYYYYYYY) as usb-c connector for charging will be mandatory from 2026.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SlowBloke posted:

Audio devices and tablets will have to jump too in 2024, I think only the remote will be out of scope in that list. Also magsafe is not safe(AYYYYYYY) as usb-c connector for charging will be mandatory from 2026.

Do you have a good source on that? There's no way they'll add a USB-C port on the Watch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you have a good source on that? There's no way they'll add a USB-C port on the Watch.

There are exceptions for devices that can't physically fit a usb-c connector.

(I am no authority on whether the watch fits that category)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just when we get MagSafe back on the MBPs we have to lose it again? Are you serious

e: or do they not count as "mobile devices"?

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 5, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jose Oquendo posted:

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20220930IPR41928/long-awaited-common-charger-for-mobile-devices-will-be-a-reality-in-2024

The watch is supposed to count as a fitness device so it will be outside of the mandate of the law. Airpods and Beats fit neatly into it.

Data Graham posted:

Just when we get MagSafe back on the MBPs we have to lose it again? Are you serious

Spring 2026, they are giving OEM two extra years since laptops have longer lifecycles than phones.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 5, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20220930IPR41928/long-awaited-common-charger-for-mobile-devices-will-be-a-reality-in-2024

The watch is supposed to count as a fitness device so it will be outside of the mandate of the law. Airpods and Beats fit neatly into it.

Spring 2026, they are giving OEM two extra years since laptops have longer lifecycles than phones.

Awesome. Appreciate the link as well. Switching over to USB-C for the headphone charging cases isn't a big deal.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I'm going to hold onto my MagSafe MBP for a long, long time.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Data Graham posted:

I may be mistaken but I believe the new M1 MacBook Pros can change via MagSafe OR USB-C.
Unless the new law stipulates a device can ONLY charge via USB-C MagSafe should be... Mag-Safe.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Data Graham posted:

Existing MBPs can already charge over USB-C. They just also have MagSafe.

The law doesn't say devices can only charge over USB-C, just that they must.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CaptainCrunch posted:

I may be mistaken but I believe the new M1 MacBook Pros can change via MagSafe OR USB-C.
Unless the new law stipulates a device can ONLY charge via USB-C MagSafe should be... Mag-Safe.

The media packages states in multiple parts that charging must be done mandatorily over a usb-c port so that no special cables would be required to be purchased for each devices. It's all about gadgets tho, no mentions of laptops(the original docket didn't include them).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Does the new EU law prevent Apple from just paying a fine if Apple decides implementing USB-C costs more than just leaning on their proprietary licensed accessory market

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Oh gently caress, the minutes are out but not the final directive. This is one of the amendments from yesterday

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/A-9-2022-0129_EN.html

equipment operating with power delivery of up to 100W falling under the scope of this Directive:
- hand-held mobile phones,
- tablets, e-readers, laptops,
- digital cameras,
- headphones, headsets, earbuds,
- handheld videogame consoles, keyboards, mice, screens, printers,
- portable speakers, portable navigations, digital radios,
- smart watches, wearable and health trackers, personal care devices, sport and lighting equipment,
- electronic toys.

Apple watch is in the list too then.

Soul Glo posted:

Does the new EU law prevent Apple from just paying a fine if Apple decides implementing USB-C costs more than just leaning on their proprietary licensed accessory market

The amendment says that Apple must justify for each device, every time the commission feels like it, why they did not implement it, with solid reasoning unless they want bad things to happen.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 5, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
actually my iphone falls under the definition of a point of sale terminal

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

The new apple watch charging puck is USB-C on the other end now. Does any fitness thing/watch use a direct connection with a standard port? Don’t most of them use an adapter that itself has a USB plug?

I wonder if that’ll be enough to satisfy them. The actual power supply can be USB-C.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

PirateDentist posted:

The new apple watch charging puck is USB-C on the other end now. Does any fitness thing/watch use a direct connection with a standard port? Don’t most of them use an adapter that itself has a USB plug?

I wonder if that’ll be enough to satisfy them. The actual power supply can be USB-C.

Garmin has a connector on vivoactives which is physical with bogopins but almost as big/deep as usb-c. The cheaper fitness watches are mostly all bogopins, not inductive charging, with pretty much usb-a laid out on the chassis.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I had similar car play issues as the last page, but what worked for me is when I got a new phone I didn’t have the issues anymore.

I bought a foam pad to try to minimize shock from minor road bumps that caused disconnect and just figured I was having bad cable luck and finally ended up buying one that has a light when the cable is plugged in so I could see if was losing power or whatever.

But I am still using the old cable since the new one took forever to come, and in the three weeks since I got the new phone, no disconnects, even with the phone in hand or in the passenger seat or rolling around on the floor.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

FCKGW posted:

How are they "disabled" when not in work hours? Do you have like a Home focus mode or something?

For my Outlook and Teams apps they each have their own "Work Hours" mode in the settings that disable all notifications except during work hours. I then have a Work focus mode that allows those apps and blocks most everything else.
Funny enough those are the exact two apps, didn’t realise they had a work hours mode so I’ll just use that!

My current solution was just “block all notifications from them at all times and I’ll check when I drat well feel like it” since I’m normally at my PC anyway but with notifications on I can maybe sneak out on walks with my dog more often while working from home without getting caught since I can see when emails come in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My CarPlay issues have existed across phones and it's never been a shock issue. For me, it's either it gives me an error when I first connect or it works fine and continues to work fine. Very rarely it'll spit out the error after a little bit, but it's almost always either working or not.

SlowBloke posted:

Oh gently caress, the minutes are out but not the final directive. This is one of the amendments from yesterday

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/A-9-2022-0129_EN.html

equipment operating with power delivery of up to 100W falling under the scope of this Directive:
- hand-held mobile phones,
- tablets, e-readers, laptops,
- digital cameras,
- headphones, headsets, earbuds,
- handheld videogame consoles, keyboards, mice, screens, printers,
- portable speakers, portable navigations, digital radios,
- smart watches, wearable and health trackers, personal care devices, sport and lighting equipment,
- electronic toys.

Apple watch is in the list too then.

The amendment says that Apple must justify for each device, every time the commission feels like it, why they did not implement it, with solid reasoning unless they want bad things to happen.
You should have scrolled down one more paragraph:

quote:

Smart watches, wearable and health trackers, personal care devices, sport and lighting equipment are exempted from this provision when the small size of the product does not allow to be equipped with USB Type-C receptacle;

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

You should have scrolled down one more paragraph:

I wonder if the ultra will fit in the "too thin" category...

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I’ve yet to see a 14 pro in the wild, surprisingly. I live somewhere where I’d expect to, but not a single dynamic island has popped up on my commutes. I feel like I’d have seen the new apple thing by now in previous years.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Grumbles posted:

I’ve yet to see a 14 pro in the wild, surprisingly. I live somewhere where I’d expect to, but not a single dynamic island has popped up on my commutes. I feel like I’d have seen the new apple thing by now in previous years.
Yeah, I went to 2 shows the past couple nights and saw several phones unlocked around me but didn't notice any Dynamic Island. It's still brand new, though, so it's probably too early to tell.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I wonder when AirPod Pros will move to USB-C since we just got a new model. I for one don't want to deal with a USB-C iPhone 15 Pro and Lightning AirPod Pro 2 (or even my current v1).

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Josh Lyman posted:

I wonder when AirPod Pros will move to USB-C since we just got a new model. I for one don't want to deal with a USB-C iPhone 15 Pro and Lightning AirPod Pro 2 (or even my current v1).

I worried about that a bit, then I realized these two things:

- they’ll possibly offer a usbc case for sale to replace your current case
- there’s enough ways to charge the AirPods Pro 2 case (wireless, MagSafe, Apple Watch) that I don’t really mind, since any time I’d want to charge my AirPods while traveling I’d also have my watch puck

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
This isn't really iPhone specific but this is the first time I have noticed this since I moved from an XS to 14 Pro...

Are carriers hiding MM towers in neighborhoods? I live in a fairly dense neighborhood absolutely full of trees, our LTE coverage isn't even great but I was shocked to see 3 bars of 5G+ inside my house, 1-2 of LTE is common. I know AT&T has invested heavily in infrastructure in my neighborhood, we get 5GB fiber here (Pretty sure they are trying to juice their numbers because we live in a upper middle class neighborhood in one of the poorest/minority heavy ZIPS in the city.)

I've seen typical neighborhood 5G MM installs and none of that has gone on here unless they are hiding them in alleys or something.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Three Olives posted:

This isn't really iPhone specific but this is the first time I have noticed this since I moved from an XS to 14 Pro...

Are carriers hiding MM towers in neighborhoods? I live in a fairly dense neighborhood absolutely full of trees, our LTE coverage isn't even great but I was shocked to see 3 bars of 5G+ inside my house, 1-2 of LTE is common. I know AT&T has invested heavily in infrastructure in my neighborhood, we get 5GB fiber here (Pretty sure they are trying to juice their numbers because we live in a upper middle class neighborhood in one of the poorest/minority heavy ZIPS in the city.)

I've seen typical neighborhood 5G MM installs and none of that has gone on here unless they are hiding them in alleys or something.

this is likely c-band, all the carriers started merging mmWave and c-band as connection names

For ex: Verizon calls c-band or mmWave 5GUW, t-mo calls it 5GUC

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I got the Guc

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Buff Hardback posted:

this is likely c-band, all the carriers started merging mmWave and c-band as connection names

For ex: Verizon calls c-band or mmWave 5GUW, t-mo calls it 5GUC

As far as I can tell 5G+ means it's on AT&T's branding of mmWave, Verizon/T-Mobile iPhones will show mmWave 5GUW and 5GUC.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Three Olives posted:

As far as I can tell 5G+ means it's on AT&T's branding of mmWave, Verizon/T-Mobile iPhones will show mmWave 5GUW and 5GUC.

https://about.att.com/innovationblog/2021/c-band-5G.html

quote:

And how will you know if you are in an area with the faster C-Band or mmWave 5G? You’ll see an indicator that simply shows “5G+.”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
It’s probably c band versus MM (although you never know I guess).

MM is able 5000 band, it’s the one that gets crazy fast speeds (1000+) but is worthless for actually having any ranging / penetrating buildings and walls.

C band is the one that is 3500-3800ish, speeds are usually 100-300, travels decently, and is known for initially trying to kill airplanes but not really that was over blown.

For context, LTE / base 5G on 700 gets like, 20-100, although I’ve seen it go up to 200 now.

Fun fact: I have an old Verizon plan, so my personal phone technically does not get c band, but my work phone does. Not that I take my work phone everywhere , but at times when my work phone has c band, my personal phone got similar speeds on speed test. So IMO, having C Band itself doesn’t make a difference, but I think I’ve noticed more consistent speeds both on and off, as in it’s freeing up capacity on the base network. Super YMMV though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What is it with US providers making up their own names for these standards?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
5G isn't a real thing so they had to get creative

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

It’s how they get a new round of subsidies from the government

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s probably c band versus MM (although you never know I guess).

MM is able 5000 band, it’s the one that gets crazy fast speeds (1000+) but is worthless for actually having any ranging / penetrating buildings and walls.

C band is the one that is 3500-3800ish, speeds are usually 100-300, travels decently, and is known for initially trying to kill airplanes but not really that was over blown.

For context, LTE / base 5G on 700 gets like, 20-100, although I’ve seen it go up to 200 now.

Fun fact: I have an old Verizon plan, so my personal phone technically does not get c band, but my work phone does. Not that I take my work phone everywhere , but at times when my work phone has c band, my personal phone got similar speeds on speed test. So IMO, having C Band itself doesn’t make a difference, but I think I’ve noticed more consistent speeds both on and off, as in it’s freeing up capacity on the base network. Super YMMV though.

Probably, although at my office which is near the city core that I know for a fact has mmWave coverage, I get 5G and not 5G+. I mean, it checks out that I'm not getting mmWAVE inside my brick office a block away from the nearest tower, but weird that there is no C Band if they include that in 5G+.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

5G isn't a real thing so they had to get creative

Should have just called it birds then

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Dude, if you catch me on a day when I am bored, I can post a lot of crazy stories here on poo poo I’ve seen working for US carriers in a customer facing setting for the past 13 years.

But if we’re talking the ultimate one, honestly there’s no better one than this:

https://techcrunch.com/2013/11/14/isis-the-mobile-payments-initiative-from-att-verizon-t-mobile-launches-across-the-u-s/

https://techcrunch.com/2014/09/03/isis-mobile-wallet-rebrands-to-softcard-to-distance-from-miltant-terror-group/

I had my wallet stolen 2 years ago, and the absolute worst part of it is that my AmEx ISIS card was stolen with it , so I no longer have proof ther I was a card carrying member of ISIS.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is it possible to turn off 5GUW? 5G is fine but whenever it switches over to UW I can’t load anything.

E- I was able to make this post but I can’t load anything in safari, it happens every time. I only get UW in one area near work as far as I’ve noticed, and it always gives me problems.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah + on ATT is atrocious. My streaming music cuts out all the time.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Ended up ordering an advanced replacement for my phone. I don't know if it has anything to do with the gouges I apparently put in it the day after I got it, but I've been getting random phantom touches on the dynamic island too. So it's a bit busted I guess, dang.

I'm pretty sure it's that anyway because I can see the gray border wiggle the same way as if I physically tapped it myself, and it does the little vibration too.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Oh man I thought I was the only one, when UW works it's great, I get massive DL speeds, like 200+ megs per second. But there is huge lag and latency. Everything takes a couple seconds to load. It's so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
on t-mobile the "5G UC" gets great signal around me, but frequent dropouts of streaming music. speed tests are usually very fast, but the actual experience sucks so i leave mine set to LTE only, and very occasionally turn on the 5G manually for a while in situations where LTE is spotty.