Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I’m very excited to see so many popular mod-types rolled into official gameplay. Worst case I won’t have to use those mods anymore, best case the new systems will allow those mods to be better than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I can definitely get rid of my babies mod. I can probably stop using my alien races because most of them are of the “FFXIV port catgirls” variety. I’ll have to see what the VE does with VEM but I might get to uninstall that because I was using it more for the drones than the factories.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

I wonder if the faction system is changing in some way. The current game gives you a warning if you try to have too many factions and there’s already barely enough space for one each of the factions, let alone mod-added ones or the ones from this new DLC.

I actually like not being able to have "one of everything" when it comes to factions. Makes every game feel a little more distinct instead of ok, here's the generic angry tribe, here's the generic angry space men, etc.

I've never used a stack size mod but I was on the verge of caving in because trying to manage a colony of 10+ pawns is just a nightmare in terms of sheer storage requirements. The materials, food and equipment eat up so much space and you have to defend it all or the raiders will just walk away with it. I'm glad we have a vanilla solution now.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hellioning posted:

Yes.

YES.

There is nothing here I do not like.

The only 'issue' is how all the assorted alien races currently existing are going to adapt to the gene modding, but I'm excited about that too. Could I create moonjellies that do not die to a stiff breeze? The possibilities are endless.

Turn them into moonjellygirls

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if the gas system will also simulate things like, open fires indoors, air quality etc. Might be nice to have to lay out a ventilation system or give things other options for being unsuitable for indoor use other than not allowing construction of them indoors or generating tonnes of heat.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Good luck to all the tribals if you can no longer campfire indoors.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was more thinking maybe you would just have to add vents or something, or you get poor air quality, or maybe other changes I dunno. Guess I'm just curious if "gas system" means something other than just items generating a bad health circle around them. Having a whole air production/purification/atmospherics system could be quite fun for high tech bases.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I was more thinking maybe you would just have to add vents or something, or you get poor air quality, or maybe other changes I dunno. Guess I'm just curious if "gas system" means something other than just items generating a bad health circle around them. Having a whole air production/purification/atmospherics system could be quite fun for high tech bases.

My poor, poor framerate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was assuming it would probably be done on the same basis as the temperature system, on a per-room basis but without the loss through walls and ceiling.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I assume they would've mentioned if the gas system was that far ranging. But hey now it's there maybe mods can hook into it easily enough.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

So, for actual content, one of the many child and family mods + What the Hack? + pawn-focused Genetic Rimworld + a completely new pollution thing?

I kinda dig that.

Plus a lot of the cool stuff from Vanilla Factions Expanded: Mechanoids. It's not a 1:1 but there are a lot of similarities, and I like all of it.

Also the Shelf changes are basically a lightweight form of the shelves from Deep Storage, a welcome change. Shelves are way more useful now that there's a 1x shelf and now that they hold 3x more than the floor. I expect to be building a lot more shelves, like actual pantries instead of just a big room with meat and corn spread out all over the floor

Shelf costs are also being reduced from 30 to 20 and build faster.

Other things I really like in the changelog

quote:

Added firefoam pop pack.

Hell yes, now basically anyone can have Waterskip. It won't be targetable but I'm guessing the radius is bigger

quote:

In addition to all the prisoners you got before, now you’ll get a new class of prisoner who is unwaveringly loyal to their home

This is actually pretty cool and incentivizes all of the non-recruitment options. Sometimes you'll get 1 guy who just refuses to be recruited, but gladiator battles are always on the table!

quote:

Added a "cut all blight" command to blighted plants.

quote:

Major startup and load time improvements. Launching RimWorld and loading savegames are both roughly 37% faster.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

yeah that last one was huge, the vanilla expanded suite alone would add like 5 minutes to launch times

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I was just wanting to get back into rimworld, but my mod list was too unwieldy to update. Looks like I can slash and burn :toot:

Rimatomics and Dubs Hygiene please update fast

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The changelog doesn't talk about the gas system very much, it sounds like it's for lingering radial effects that cause health conditions. It mentions "disgusting rot stink gas" from corpses that can cause "lung rot" disease, and "blind smoke" presumably blinds people for a little while

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The Gas system does have promise to make SOS2 much more interesting with regards to oxygen levels in space.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wait hold up the update is live?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anno posted:

I assume they would've mentioned if the gas system was that far ranging. But hey now it's there maybe mods can hook into it easily enough.

I was sort of wondering if that was related to the pollution system, one of the adaptation options being to make a hermetically sealed bunker.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Wait hold up the update is live?

The update is available on the unstable branch, you can get it through the Beta tab in Steam if you want to see the new changes early

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
What word starts with W and ends with Y? Wizardry? Wiley? Wacky? No thanks; time to pull the plug.
-Tynan, probably.

Edit: Hear me out though: straight up wizardry-style dungeon crawler in Rimworld's engine. New maps on deeper floors, trying to scrounge up enough food to not have to eat the wizard.
Ate food off a mimic -10 mood

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It can still be R.I.B.W.O.R.L.D, which is what I'm hoping for.

W could be for Water and integrate Dubs Bad Hygiene and boats/other vehicles!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The acronym is going to be RIMJOB but tynan released the B after the I for reasons that will soon be very clear!

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Awesome. Deep Storage was the mod I would probably miss the most. Being able to trade work for map space is a game changer.

Also nerfing recruitment changes it up. The colony I sold last on my current archotech run had 80+ colonists using the old 'everyone who survives joins, here's a gun, there's the kilbox' strategy.

Mindless fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 5, 2022

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Piell posted:

It can still be R.I.B.W.O.R.L.D, which is what I'm hoping for.

W could be for Water and integrate Dubs Bad Hygiene and boats/other vehicles!

I want them to pick the pattern back up and break it on the last letter. I already have -10 mood from R.I.B. I will go full psychotic stress break if Tynan releases the final expansion to spell R.I.B.W.O.R.L.T.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Me, chronological age 257, installs final RimWorld Expansion spelling out R.I.B.M.E.M.B.E.R.T.O.D.R.I.N.K.Y.O.U.R.O.V.A.L.T.I.N.E.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It's a small change but I like the addition of people you cannot recruit. It always felt weird from a narrative standpoint that your colony was often made up almost entirely of kidnapped attackers that you completely brainwashed. Somehow.

If some or most of your attackers are unwaiveringly loyal, then it's clear that the ones you can recruit are the uninvested grunts who didn't have much investment in their faction anyway.

The whole expansion looks great. I'm always a big fan of robots and automation and this looks like a fun implementation.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Ah yes, Rimworld finally adding the best feature from Dwarf Fortress: miasma!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Already considering how I can completely poison the outside world so I can lock my vault door and watch Raiders choke to death trying to bash the door open

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I'm excited for all the changes and new features. Its been awhile since I ran a full Vanilla run so I'm excited to give it a go.

The Good Queen Clitoris fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 5, 2022

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Pawns need so much space, storage needs so much space, killboxes need so much space. I can't go back to vanilla, I am accustomed to rules I made up in my head.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ribworld biome. Everything is made out of meat, huge bone arches emerge from the ground.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well... that's a lot more than I expected. Probably makes sense considering the VE team does work with Tynan too.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Went to check on some mods to see if they changed much over the last few months and

Rimworld modders are on another level

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I fixed the acronym issue.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Asimo posted:

Well... that's a lot more than I expected. Probably makes sense considering the VE team does work with Tynan too.

Most of the ones that were updated also don't really touch anything 1.4 does too, so I imagine it was much easier to update. Especially since you don't have things like the Pen system/animal overhaul in 1.4 that touch a bunch of mods that aren't affiliated with the main gimmick of the expansion.

Though I imagine VE: Mechanoids is gonna get a rework at some point once the DLC releases since it has a ton of overlap with the new Biotech Mechanoids stuff.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 6, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

those are a lot of nerfs and cruft-trimmings

good stuff really. still marginal gains to be had but now people can wear things that aren't jumpsuits

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Very disappointed, next could be the wealth based trading overhaul if this one has been mechatronics or -technics or whatever

7659 hours played voting 2/5 stars

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I admit I don't use apparel exapnded since... yeah it was a bit too much buffs and added way too much cruft (gloves and boots tended to make temperature a non-issue for example). Might try it in the rotation again.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Building cryogenic containment silos for my robot poop socks

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

surprised the ancients one didn't just trim the genetics and cut it down to the ancient vault stuff, that's all cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I hope it adds new ideology memes. Could see anti-natalist being a funny one.

Also does that mean they're adding genitals as a damageable body part?