Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Not a fan of the library! Still kind of amusing how they got past the book but still wiped, though. god i hate the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

OddObserver posted:

There is a video somewhere of someone doing the dancer moves in real life...(The dance moves, not the flying chakrams).
Super Louis did a "Use Xbox Kinect to activate dance steps" video but also it has location and boss spoilers so I'm spoilering the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGJAMk7_8Y8

Also on his channel for XIV controller fun: using boxing gloves to play Monk, a Yugioh controller to play Astrologian, a fat cat plush to ride his Fatter Cat mount, and pizza slices to do /pizza

edit: \/ Yeah there's a Scholar book video on his channel as well.

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 5, 2022

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Wasn't there one where they wired up a book they could scribble in to do actions for sch? Or was that someone different?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ice Fist posted:

Just did a run of the Great Gubal Library with two sprouts in the leveling roulette. They struggled with the mechanics, but we got through it after I explained how everything worked. Our BLM rage quit after a wipe on the last boss. We eventually got through it though and I was feeling super good about teaching the new guys the mechanics and getting through it in spite of 3-4 wipes.

Not a single commend. :(

I should take my note file of those mechanics and stick it into a macro; I once got stuck in there for nearly an hour. Ugh.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ice Fist posted:

Just did a run of the Great Gubal Library with two sprouts in the leveling roulette. They struggled with the mechanics, but we got through it after I explained how everything worked. Our BLM rage quit after a wipe on the last boss. We eventually got through it though and I was feeling super good about teaching the new guys the mechanics and getting through it in spite of 3-4 wipes.

Just play a healer, I pretty much always get at least one commend per dungeon :eng101:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ice Fist posted:

You may not have gotten a comm like you deserved, but what you did do was give two sprouts a pleasant experience with a pain in the rear end dungeon that might've otherwise been miserable, and helped keep XIV's community what it is and should be.

Or to put it another way, you Goofus-and-Gallant-ed with that BLM.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

that BLM will later complain about how people don't know mechanics and what are they teaching kids these days. but if they weren't together they probably comm'd each other, which is good and right since they tried their best. i give you a virtual comm for staying and helping

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I was 90% sarcastic. When I hit the exit portal I was like "boy at least 2 easy commends in the bag". But if I'm being honest, I gave my comm to the healer (I was the tank) for being incredibly :shobon: and I would just as soon assume that they comm'd each other.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ice Fist posted:

I was 90% sarcastic. When I hit the exit portal I was like "boy at least 2 easy commends in the bag". But if I'm being honest, I gave my comm to the healer (I was the tank) for being incredibly :shobon: and I would just as soon assume that they comm'd each other.

I figure the comms I don't get when I try to be useful and supportive are made up for by the comms I get when I had a terrible fight and it's only the healer being on the ball that meant we didn't wipe but nobody could tell because I didn't die.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Heck, they're sprouts. They may not really... 'get' comms, if they're playing without a helpful Discord or free company to give them tips on existing in Eorzea. They probably felt gratitude towards you but didn't know to push the button in the lower right, particularly if they were looking around for the exit or what have you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

One time a sprout asked me how I could repay him for my kindness for giving him gear and advice and showing him the ropes and I told him I was paying it forward from someone who did it for me, and he should do the same. It was a bald-faced lie, I did it because he was a sprout who wasn’t free trial so I was thrilled that I could actually give him stuff. But I fully believe that the community is what makes XIV worth playing, and if he remembers me and does the same thing for someone else, that’s a win. This game legitimately gives me more hope for and faith in humanity than any other social hobby I’ve had in years.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
And this is probably obvious, but if you're hoping for commends from a first-time player, you have to wait around while they watch the end-of-dungeon cutscenes.

There's been many a time where I finish my cutscene all ready to commend somebody only to find there's no one left to commend.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Schwartzcough posted:

And this is probably obvious, but if you're hoping for commends from a first-time player, you have to wait around while they watch the end-of-dungeon cutscenes.

There's been many a time where I finish my cutscene all ready to commend somebody only to find there's no one left to commend.

Yeah this, when I'm farming for commends (tank/healer role, talkative with sprouts) I wait until I'm the last person in the instance before I leave the dungeon.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Quite often who I commend is determined purely by the fact that only one person is still in the instance by the time I go to pick someone

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

This is probably the biggest factor. If they're busy ooohing and ahhhing at the cutscene, you're probably gone before they're done enjoying the outro. I wouldn't think about commends too hard, personally.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Commends are arbitrary and capricious. Chasing them is folly. They'll come!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I like watching the ending cutscene in dungeons -- especially since it gives me a chance to appreciate folks' glams without having to run along and focus on monsters and mechanics.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Most of my comms are for saying gg at the end of Frontline matches, or pity comms after a miserable raid. I never get one when I think I actually deserve it so it's best not to think about it

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I find my commendations correlate well to how chatty I am. Or at least it feels like I get commended more if I say things in chat between pulls or whatever.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm going through Alexander, and while it hasn't seen a major uptick in comms for me because I'm the last person out of the instance, no one else seems to want the bittybobs and whirlycogs. Which is fine, no one needs the gear for numbers and the Gordian glams are actually kinda dire. There are a few Midan pieces I want, though maybe I should wait for the dyeables from... Savage? Ultimate?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dareon posted:

I'm going through Alexander, and while it hasn't seen a major uptick in comms for me because I'm the last person out of the instance, no one else seems to want the bittybobs and whirlycogs. Which is fine, no one needs the gear for numbers and the Gordian glams are actually kinda dire. There are a few Midan pieces I want, though maybe I should wait for the dyeables from... Savage? Ultimate?

Savage is dyeable.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm a little confused about the difference in bows between Eorzea and Doma; they both seem to use bowing as a gesture of courtesy/thanks/greetings. But Eorzean bowing is deeper? Does this have a real world origin? Like 19th century China vs Japan or Thailand vs Japan?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Eorzean bowing is a courtly European bow, which has a generally fixed depth instead of the Asian bow that adjusts bow depth for amount of respect (Which is not represented in XIV's canned animations, unless they actually do have certain Eastern NPCs bow deeper or shallower).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RE: Getting comms, Sage is a 3-comm machine in dungeons because from like the mid-30s onward, you can keep everyone topped off with oGCDs on even the biggest pulls without ever slowing down your Dyskrasia spam DPS rotation, and it makes you look like a healing god.

Special shoutout to Zoe+Ixochole, unlocked at Level 56, for an instant-cast, 0 MP, 600 potency, 15-yard AoE heal every 90 seconds.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 6, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Dareon posted:

Alexander is the most common pool by far since it is the first one for Normal Raids that are a lightning fast daily leveling tool so everybody has their fill of turn-in tokens. They're also soloable at 90 for default difficulty dress up. I hoovered them up for awhile to rest in peace on one of my retainers in case I ever want them dresses.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Hit 50 on my warrior and I was met with a message essentially saying "If you want more abilities, you need to buy the expansions". Sooooo yeah. Is it worth continue leveling at this point or should I start to level my alt classes?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

Hit 50 on my warrior and I was met with a message essentially saying "If you want more abilities, you need to buy the expansions". Sooooo yeah. Is it worth continue leveling at this point or should I start to level my alt classes?

You should be able to access Heavensward abilities (level 51-60) if you're on the free trial, as it comes as part of the base free trial experience now.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If you're on the free trial you should be able to go to 60, but it really depends on everything else. Are you done the story and don't want to play? Don't level anything else. Are you still doing the story and would want to level something else out to continue it? Yeah, go ahead.

It sure would not be worth the trouble for me to level a new class to your point just to continue with the level-based story, and wasting exp has never been a concern because they just shower it on you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mesadoram posted:

That's not quite what it said, though I see where the confusion came from

It's saying that the abilities you gain from 51-60 all come from the job quests, which are all linked plotwise to the 51-60 story so they won't let you do them until you get there. All content up to level 60 is in the free trial.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I was not eligible for the free trial as I played FF14 when it was in beta :smith:.

I bought the $20 version of the game to give it a try again. In hindsight I should have just bought the deluxe edition, but I didn't want to put that much money in a game I didn't know I really wanted to play. I am still lukewarm on the game, but I have been enjoying my time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ah yeah, in that case you'd have to buy endwalker, which will come with heavensward, stormblood, and shadowbringers

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That said, there's no real pressing reason to continue leveling up before you reach heavensward. You can just be level 50 as you go through the 2.x stuff, same as people did when it was new

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah in that case it'll be really up to whether you care about "wasting" exp or not. You can either grind something up to your Warrior level, or keep going because exp is an infinite resource.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I get random commends as DPS in alliance raids some times. I have no idea why but I hope they liked my glam.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Mesadoram posted:

There's quite a large chunk of story between hitting level 50 and ending the ARR MSQ and the start of Heavensward. Just FYI. Those quests don't give a ton of exp, so you're going to be at 50ish for a while until you hit HW proper. Also IIRC you're going to be forced to do the crystal tower if you haven't done so already.

I sort of feel for you because the post ARR/pre-HW stuff was my absolute least favorite content when I went from 1-90 over the last 6 months.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mesadoram posted:

I was not eligible for the free trial as I played FF14 when it was in beta :smith:.

I bought the $20 version of the game to give it a try again. In hindsight I should have just bought the deluxe edition, but I didn't want to put that much money in a game I didn't know I really wanted to play. I am still lukewarm on the game, but I have been enjoying my time.

You could have just signed up for the trial on a new email address.

edit: Unless you're on a console idk.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

I will probably just continue the story as far as I can go. My friend told me it gets much better once I get out of the vanilla game, so I will keep pushing on.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

girl dick energy posted:

RE: Getting comms, Sage is a 3-comm machine in dungeons because from like the mid-30s onward, you can keep everyone topped off with oGCDs on even the biggest pulls without ever slowing down your Dyskrasia spam DPS rotation, and it makes you look like a healing god.

Special shoutout to Zoe+Ixochole, unlocked at Level 56, for an instant-cast, 0 MP, 600 potency, 15-yard AoE heal every 90 seconds.

Sorry to be that guy, but Zoe only boosts GCD heals, and it has a 120s cooldown until 88. Works great with Pneuma though for a 900 potency GCD heal that doesn't lose you DPS.

The game doesn't explain the difference between healing spell and healing action well. Action is both off and on global, spell is only global cooldown.

Roluth fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 6, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The categories used for actions are Weaponskills, Spells, and Abilities. Weaponskills and Spells are bound to the GCD, while Abilities are not. If something says that it affects "spells" or "weapon skills," it won't affect Abilities; if it says it affects "actions," then it will affect anything relevant that you can do in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

MSQ patch quests generally don't give xp or give very little.