Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I just feed video game midi files into the spitfire orchestra vst and pretend I'm some sort of genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

soundtoys stuff is on sale, is decapitator as good as people say or is it just hype?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

watho posted:

soundtoys stuff is on sale, is decapitator as good as people say or is it just hype?
I use it to varying degrees on literally every instrument and have on every release I've put out for the past few years. I'd say it's absolutely worth getting.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

It's a classic plugin that does what it says and can work in a lot of ways and situations. Personally, I prefer to run audio out to get saturation and find decapitator to be a little run of the mill sounding, but that's probably because it's so popular. That said, I can't say it sounds bad or doesn't work, I think it's more how you use it. I've heard people overuse it across a mix and it starts to sound a little too much like a plugin.

Edit: not dissing on rageaholic's mixes or anyone else's, main point is there are lots of tasteful and tasteless ways to use it. I'm sure you can use it on every track and make it sound good.

ricecult fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 23, 2022

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Decapitator is great, but if you want a low cost alternative, check out Audio Addault's Headcrusher.

https://audioassault.mx/

They're running a sale for 50% off two plugins with the coupon code on their home page. The Shibalba EX amp sim is my favorite for clean to mid gain, so I definitely recommend it.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i did buy shibalba a little while back and i’m very happy with it (i think it was you who posted about it then) so their saturator is definitely a tempting alternative but it does cost about the same as the decapitator sale price. i don’t get paid until monday so i have time to think

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the sale ended yesterday and i didn’t get paid until today so that makes my decision a lot easier lol

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
I signed up to be notified when UA releases Spark for Windows, and I got the email last night, but their website doesn’t reflect it yet, so just a heads up if anyone else is curious about that.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Does Bitwig ever go on sale?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Oldstench posted:

Does Bitwig ever go on sale?

Yeah, it was on sale not too long ago IIRC. July I think.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Winter also

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
If you own a U-He product, I think you have until the 29th to claim a 25% discount on Bitwig?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Bitwig does have occasional sales. You could rent-to-own through Splice and then wait for a sale to buy it if you wanted to start playing with it right away and/or see if it's right for you.

Also Klevgrand is having a 29 hour flash sale where very plug is $29

https://klevgrand.com/

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I swear Native Access gets worse with every update

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

for a chromium app I'd expect better text rendering. native access 2 is just terrible to look at

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
After hearing how great UAD is I'm disappointed to find that people were right, they are pretty good.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm willing to bet everyone here is on Plugin Alliance's email list, but they're running a no minimum spend $20 off coupon and a sale today: BOOM-20-OFF

That's a lot of great stuff under $10 with the coupon and sale, and most of their amp sims, Bassmint, and my new secret weapon Mono Upmix for $0.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products.html

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I just got the Brainworx Stereomaker, should I have got Mono Upmix instead? :ohdear:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Purple compressor for a fiver? Ugh if you insist!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

OutOfPrint posted:

I'm willing to bet everyone here is on Plugin Alliance's email list, but they're running a no minimum spend $20 off coupon and a sale today: BOOM-20-OFF

That's a lot of great stuff under $10 with the coupon and sale, and most of their amp sims, Bassmint, and my new secret weapon Mono Upmix for $0.

How are their amp sims for someone that has Neural DSP Cory Wong, Softube Marshall Plexi Super Lead 1959 and Guitar Rig 6? Any recommendations that might compliment these rather than overlap? I'm thinking maybe one of the Ampeg models as Guitar Rig only has 2 true bass amp models. I should mention I'm not really a super high gain/metal guy.

Similarly, has anyone tried LO-FI-AF, and any thoughts. I do have Arturia Tape MELLO-FI but this seems to do a lot more.

Bass-Mint, Stereomaker and Mono Upmix all look interesting as well. Might go with one of these after watching some of the demos.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm only gonna mention the stuff I have:

I really like the G-K bass amp as the bi-amp is awesome.
For guitar, definitely the Diezel Herbert and Engl E646 and Engl Savage are absolutely excellent amps, and there's minimal crossover with what's in Guitar Rig 6 as far as I'm concerned. Although the Herbert has more gain than anyone would ever, EVER need all these amps also do some very clean cleans and lovely crunches.
That said, although Rammfire is pretty decent with the right cab, the Bx_Megadual smashes it into the ground.
The main draw for these for me are the recording chains (their term of IRs), which are various cabs run through various preamps, eqs etc.
A lot of stuff markets stuff as "Mix Ready" but these really are, and theres a nice auto auditioning feature.
And final gush, pre/post amp filters, a built in pre to push the front end like an overdrive and a serviceable delay are included in all of them too.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

For bass or bass synths, the GK amp model sounds great. The bx_rockergain is I think my favorite Orange sim that I've played through, and the Suhr PT-100 is a great and versatile sim. I like his newer Engl models, like the Herbert, very well. Friedmans are generally good too. Demo it before you buy it but I think the Fuchs Train II sim has a very nice character. Let me put it this way - many of these sims are nice enough that UAD will still try to sell them to you for $150 each in their ecosystem with fewer huge discounts than PA offers for the same software but in native versions.

I have Neural Fortin Cali, Neural SLO100, and Neural Archetype Rabea and I still go to Igor Nembrini's sims for some of the amps he's modeled, both while he was mainly doing them for bX and since he has struck out on his own.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Whilst we're talking ampsims, the recently updated free (!) ML Sound Lab Roots 2.0 is lightyears ahead of the the original. When I have only a short time to play it's rapidly becoming my go to as it's really hard to make it sound bad.
That cabinet section is :discourse:
So easy to use and enough options for a variety of sounds without getting overwhelmed

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

OutOfPrint posted:

i am not, thanks for the heads up! grabbed the ampeg svt 3 pro, i purged most of my bass amps last time i cleaned my vst folder so i shall use this thoroughly.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

I just got the Brainworx Stereomaker, should I have got Mono Upmix instead? :ohdear:

Stereomaker is really good, too.

I got it free for getting Mono Upmix.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

OutOfPrint posted:

Stereomaker is really good, too.

I got it free for getting Mono Upmix.

GOD drat IT well I guess I will just make do with what I have

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I ended up going with the GK 800RB, but I have my eyes on Mono Upmix, Suhr PT-100, ENGL E765 RT and Friedman Buxom Betty for future sales/giveaways.

e: yikes, the PA install manager sure is something :barf:

Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 5, 2022

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh boy, Bitwig just released a new set of spectral processing devices that seem awesome...but they did it as a paid addon to their existing update program. People are loving furious and are telling Bitwig to eat poo poo from all directions. Polarity released a video defending it so now people are telling Polarity to eat poo poo too. This is not a great indicator for the direction of future development.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh boy, Bitwig just released a new set of spectral processing devices that seem awesome...but they did it as a paid addon to their existing update program. People are loving furious and are telling Bitwig to eat poo poo from all directions. Polarity released a video defending it so now people are telling Polarity to eat poo poo too. This is not a great indicator for the direction of future development.

I don't understand; did the bitwig company say that all of their future tools would be free or something? FL Studio has free updates for life, but they're obviously developing their own paid plugins.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't understand; did the bitwig company say that all of their future tools would be free or something? FL Studio has free updates for life, but they're obviously developing their own paid plugins.

Bitwig is technically a perpetual license but you only get 12 months of updates, which can be extended for another year for ~$120, usually less because of sales. That’s worked fine for me for the past few years because I could rely on those updates being cool enough to warrant the cost, but now this sets a troubling possibility that that $120 update extension won’t be as reliably worth it as it was before since that year might be spent on paid plugins instead. Having to pay for both updates and individual plugins is a bit much.

And yes, the language of the update subscription says you’ll get the next 12 months of updates for free, but apparently that doesn’t count these new plugins since they don’t count as part of a Bitwig update, despite only being usable within Bitwig.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 6, 2022

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm pretty bummed about it. I wrote them what I hope is received as a reasonable support email about it. It basically destroys the clear value prop of their subscription plan. No reason not to assume that all future really great stuff will cost extra. I hope they walk it back.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

How different is it really from how FL does it

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

petit choux posted:

Quite, actually. You pay every year to keep receiving new updates, and until now that has included all new devices and effects. The understanding that seemingly the entire community (including me) had was that as long as we kept paying our update license we would have every cool new thing they released. Up to now that has been a great deal, as they keep adding really cool features on a very regular basis. This is a complete departure from that model, and regardless of whether it's legally defensible (it probably is) it definitely violates what a lot of us longtime users understood our contract with Bitwig to be.

And, as some people have pointed out, one of the justifications for going to subscription model was so that we would be paying for ongoing development and give them the team and the time to do cool new poo poo all the time. From one perspective that seems as though we paid for them to make something that they are then turning around and charging us for.

If they DID want to go to FL model where core bitwig upgrades were free forever (or at least very cheap) but new addons cost money, I'd be very happy with that. Honestly I'd probably buy every new extension on release day.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

petit choux posted:

FL is a one time payment and all future updates are free. Bitwig’s updates are not. If Bitwig went to the same payment plan as FL I’d be okay with this, but they’re doubling up on payment plans here.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pigbuster posted:

FL is a one time payment and all future updates are free. Bitwig’s updates are not. If Bitwig went to the same payment plan as FL I’d be okay with this, but they’re doubling up on payment plans here.

If you just buy the kitchen sink version from go I guess it appears that way. I thought FL had different "editions" and you had to buy a lot of the plugins etc. separately if you just got a basic but then I was always too poor to buy the "producer edition" or whatever. I never bought FL. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on Bitwig when they were on sale a few weeks ago. Still might if I see it at a good discount.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

petit choux posted:

If you just buy the kitchen sink version from go I guess it appears that way. I thought FL had different "editions" and you had to buy a lot of the plugins etc. separately if you just got a basic but then I was always too poor to buy the "producer edition" or whatever. I never bought FL. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on Bitwig when they were on sale a few weeks ago. Still might if I see it at a good discount.

Bitwig kicks rear end and I don't regret my investment one bit if that helps, but this is obviously a little disheartening, regardless.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's not like I'm moving away from Bitwig because of this; in thirty years (holy poo poo?!?!?!) of making music on a computer it's my favorite DAW I've used by a very large margin. It's just a lovely thing to do with no warning given the context of the existing payment plan, and if this is how things are going to go moving forward it's pretty lovely. If people are okay with this paid addition you have to wonder what incentive they would have to ever release another free device, and one of the best things about being a continuous member of the upgrade program is that every few months some cool new toy is just added to your toy box out of nowhere.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Thumposaurus posted:

I just feed video game midi files into the spitfire orchestra vst and pretend I'm some sort of genius

Same! well, for the most part, i've been attempting to write my won stuff but i only end up with like a minute of music that i end up hating the next day. Post your favorite midi files run through spitfire/kontakt libraries, though, here's one with that embertone joshua bell violin i mentioned for the two main violin leads. It's pretty wonky in a lot of places, but for how little effort i put in, it sounds surprisingly good, only because austin wintory is a great composer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFT6Jjx-iQs

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah it's not like I'm moving away from Bitwig because of this; in thirty years (holy poo poo?!?!?!) of making music on a computer it's my favorite DAW I've used by a very large margin. It's just a lovely thing to do with no warning given the context of the existing payment plan, and if this is how things are going to go moving forward it's pretty lovely. If people are okay with this paid addition you have to wonder what incentive they would have to ever release another free device, and one of the best things about being a continuous member of the upgrade program is that every few months some cool new toy is just added to your toy box out of nowhere.

i forgot if you ever used ableton, is it comprable to ableton at all or is it totally different? I've never really even seen much of bitwig

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Trig Discipline posted:

If you have the time and inclination, can you explain why you love bitwig so much*, to someone who absolutely loved Logic (until I couldn't update anymore) and then Reaper? No worries if not, but I'd certainly appreciate it.

*I'm not trying to come at this 'combatitively', mind you; I've never used bitwig once, I'm just genuinely curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

bop bop perano posted:

i forgot if you ever used ableton, is it comprable to ableton at all or is it totally different? I've never really even seen much of bitwig

I think it's probably the DAW most similar to Ableton, and was even started by ex-Ableton devs. It has the arrangement & session views as well as the familiar bottom panel for stock devices. It also has a built in modular playground where you can build your own synths and effects, and any signal can be routed pretty much anywhere.