Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I’d never thought I’d seen an actual mechanized advance in the first person. The amount of soldiers were more then I’ve seen in any video, since it’s mostly been smaller groups. Oddly enough the last video made me thing of World In Conflict. God that was such a good game.

Played through it this year, can confirm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

World In Conflict. God that was such a good game.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Is my only option to buy it through GoG now? I played the poo poo out of it 15 years ago

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

lightpole posted:

Is my only option to buy it through GoG now? I played the poo poo out of it 15 years ago

Yeah, go buy it

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Theres still an active mp community for World In Conflict but its very sweaty out there. Wargame Red Dragon and now WARNO may scratch a similar itch (though still hugely different, wic was pretty unique)

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Regiments has a loss based reinforcement system too. And it's a microprose game

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

World in Conflict was neat, but for some reason I got a lot more entertainment value out of its predecessor RTS games, Ground Control 1 & 2.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Stravag posted:

Regiments has a loss based reinforcement system too. And it's a microprose game

:dong:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Can confirm Regiments is good as hell.

Nuclear Tourist posted:

World in Conflict was neat, but for some reason I got a lot more entertainment value out of its predecessor RTS games, Ground Control 1 & 2.

I loved zooming waaay in on GC1 and watching the detailed animations. Tanks ejecting empty shells, the boosters dropping away from rocket-assisted artillery rounds.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You are joking but Activision will absolutely put that scene shot-for-shot into a Call of Duty and the only question is whether they are decent enough to wait until the war is actually over before they use it for entertainment money.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I once blew a friend's mind by showing him WiC with the in-game camera positioned as if it were an FPS, then pulling way out and, surprise!, it's an RTS. Can't think of many games you can pull that in.

But then I barely do any RTS games these days, so my sample size is both small and dated.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Alchenar posted:

You are joking but Activision will absolutely put that scene shot-for-shot into a Call of Duty and the only question is whether they are decent enough to wait until the war is actually over before they use it for entertainment money.

which game was it that used that turkish art gallery political assassination

CabooseRvB
Aug 12, 2022

I miss Sheila :c
https://twitter.com/secdef/status/1576311996512841729?s=46&t=vEHKQhgeF49AjHs0bTgYJQ

Military aid packages are basically international house-warming gifts at this point

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

New Battlefield looking pretty sick

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1577775204939472903?cxt=HHwWjoCxnZCMseUrAAAA

Also goddamn can't even imagine just barreling cross country towards the enemy in a humvee like the second coming of Marshal Foch

That has the most 'WE RIDE AT DAWN!' energy of anything I've ever seen.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

That has the most 'WE RIDE AT DAWN!' energy of anything I've ever seen.

bet the guys in front had their collective assholes pucker when that mortar/arty-shell/whatever blew up right next to them.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I drove Humvees for a while when I was in and I can't imagine going balls deep like that. Ukrainians are going to be in demand for training when this is all over.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Would probably go well to the strains of The Trooper

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Also goddamn can't even imagine just barreling cross country towards the enemy in a humvee like the second coming of Marshal Foch

Ukraine coming for Russia's '#1 dashcam footage exporter' title as well, drat.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Raged posted:

I drove Humvees for a while when I was in and I can't imagine going balls deep like that. Ukrainians are going to be in demand for training when this is all over.

Someone post the meme about battle hardened ukranians going to US to get training from a dude who once shot vaguely in the direction of an Afghan kid two mountains over.

Loezi fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 6, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Was gonna say odds are the Ukrainians are going to be likely transferring knowledge back to the US on what works and what doesn't on a modern connected battlefield during a no poo poo land war.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orange juche posted:

Was gonna say odds are the Ukrainians are going to be likely transferring knowledge back to the US on what works and what doesn't on a modern connected battlefield during a no poo poo land war.

I've been saying all along this is a huge win for anyone acquisitions office procuring weapons systems that would otherwise only see action in Utah and Arizona.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Loezi posted:

Someone post the meme about battle hardened ukranians going to US to get training from a dude who once shot vaguely in the direction of an Afghani kid two mountains over.

*Afghan

Afghani is the country’s currency.

Your point is still very valid though. Ukraine will come out of this with the most current battle hardened troops in the world. The US would be extremely foolish to not try to use that knowledge for training our own troops.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Raged posted:

That poo poo is wild. I never took incoming so maybe it's different in that situation. My experience was closer to an excel sheet on wheels; everyone checking in, in order, rolling out in a line, calling out movements and so on.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think this is the exact tactic they've been using since Kharkhiv. Looks like UKA armor punched a hole in the defensive lines (see the KO Russian tank in the first video as they mount the berm) and light infantry swarmed through to rapidly outflank Russian positions.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

orange juche posted:

You're basically describing a significant facet of the program the US set up to support and grow the Ukrainian armed forces over the last 8 years. They basically set up an in-country military, uh, like practical think tank to solve the issues Ukraine was facing while dealing with the Russian military and separatists. Like they were real time workshopping ideas that would get tested (or if necessary, prototyped) within a week and then they'd be iterating on them days later having actually tested them against people shooting live ammo back. Obviously that wasn't the entirety of US provided support, but by all accounts that specific program was very successful at sussing out the weak spots of Russian doctrine/tactics and was good about finding things that worked and then rapidly developing and scaling them up.

(source on that was a west point modern warfare institute talk that had a couple panelists talking about their time working with the armed forces of Ukraine on modernization)

also re quality of training/trainers, I've looked up the backgrounds of people publicly involved in providing ad hoc training to Ukrainian armed forces since the war started and they were getting some pretty ridiculously qualified people.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 6, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hekk posted:

*Afghan

Afghani is the country’s currency.

Your point is still very valid though. Ukraine will come out of this with the most current battle hardened troops in the world. The US would be extremely foolish to not try to use that knowledge for training our own troops.

All my experience was low-intensity poo poo, and Desert Storm, Just Cause, and Somalia (Got out in '95). This peer on peer is intense.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Raged posted:

Not under fire but I miss going ham on Uncle Sam motors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Q4qs2Ljyc

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Hekk posted:

*Afghan

Thanks, fixed.

Found the image I was looking for:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Honestly it feels like there's a weirdly satisfying symmetry involved here. The US starts out by teaching Ukraine all about being a modern, effective army as the world's premier fighting force, building them up almost from scratch, only to watch their student tear holes out of their long-time nemesis and return to teach them about the practical applications of the theory the Americans had given them.

Regardless of what happens on the international stage afterwards, I have to imagine that there's almost certainly some lifelong friendships and relationships between individual US trainers and their Ukrainian proteges now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah we felt the same about the Kurds, not sure how much that's helped them.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Wasabi the J posted:

Kurds don't pass the paper bag test, though.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Most of them do pass it if they're not in the sun a whole bunch.

It's the fact they're godless Muslims.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Betraying the Kurds is an American tradition at this point. And who are we to break with tradition?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Wasabi the J posted:

People need to learn not to make the mistake of naming their proxy fighters. It just makes it harder when you let them go.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Iran is gearing up to attack the Kurds, so maybe this time we can do right by them, but we almost certainly won't.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tunicate posted:

Betraying the Kurds is an American tradition at this point. And who are we to break with tradition?

It’s one of the more deeply disgusting things we’ve done in recent memory, granted this time was Trump and Mattis gtfo after that.

Especially considering the fact that they’ve been nothing but great allies and in a Iraq probably have the best government in the state and hell history of modern Iraq. poo poo they even get high marks from the committee to protect journalists for press freedom in their area and respect of it by law enforcement and the government.

Sorry for the rant it just pisses me off so much.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

A.o.D. posted:

It's the fact they're godless Muslims.

I honestly think the US would be very happy with a hypothetical Kurdistan to have ME bases in, but they don't want to create that country, and Turkey is an issue.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

orange juche posted:

To some extent this has already been the case from early on. In 2015 when I was going through armor branch training at the maneuver center in Fort Benning there were Ukrainians there having their brains picked by a bunch of American officers. I can only imagine that it's ramped up since then.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I assume the leader is hanging onto the outside of the first vehicle waving a sabre while shouting "Drive me closer! I want to hit them with my sword!!!" :hist101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Its so loving flat in kherson there's just literally no cover from incoming whatsoever, gently caress trying to advance like that