Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I played a game of betrayal a little while back and was the traitor. It was very lopsided in my favor and I basically ran around killing everyone. Towards the very end I attacked someone with 7 dice and rolled 7 blanks. It was a hilarious moment, but still not enough to turn the tide for the others.

I am pretty much always willing to play that game, but I try to make sure people know what they're getting into because I've seen some people bounce off it really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm stuck in the limbo of trying to get a board game night going and ngl it's makin me think "why bother" lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

armorer posted:

I am pretty much always willing to play that game, but I try to make sure people know what they're getting into because I've seen some people bounce off it really hard.

BatHotH (pronounced "Bat Hoth" and you can't stop me) is in the 'experience generator' genre of board games, alongside ones like Cosmic Encounters and Tales of the Arabian Nights, and I think that they, more than basically any other genre, have the greatest correlation between "personal first impressions" and "general feeling about the relative quality of the genre".

Edit:I guess what I'm saying here is that if you really like Bat Hoth, try Tote Ann, and if you really hate Bat Hoth, definitely do not try Tote Ann.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 5, 2022

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I dunno, because I dislike BatHotH mostly due to its competitive nature (and by the same extent, dislike Cosmic Encounters for the same reason), but I have a soft spot for TotAN because the competitive aspects are mostly a race and are barely there, and there is an understanding that people are playing it primarily for the silly hijinks and weird stories that are created by it.

I generally feel that co-op and non-competitive games can generally do a lot more with having so-called "bad" mechanisms because they don't have to worry unduly about creating feel-bad situations that naturally can occur in any competitive board game, even ones that aren't random at all.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
the scenario where you have to escape in a tiny RC airplane is amazing

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I have had a soft spot for Tales since a sequence of events happened where my partner's character was forced to rob a dying hunchback with unpredictable results

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Some health scares came and went but now the wife and I are feeling good, testing negative, and ready for SPIEL

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't like the storytelling of Betrayal - flipping cards and reading out a snippet of some horror movie cliche does nothing for me. The fact that there's no objective at all in the first half of the game also annoys me. And the game depends on sending a random player away to read and internalize a private rule-set is pretty fraught in my experience. Not everyone who likes boardgames likes, or is competent at, reading and understanding rules, and the rulebook is not perfectly written.
None of these are particularly insightful or original critiques, but the thread was just far too kind to Betrayal.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Finally got a play of Undaunted Normandy in. I've had it in my collection for over 2 years, but never got it to the table.

The in-play deck building aspect of the game is really interesting. Trying to juggle your effectiveness and durability in the face of enemy action is a good puzzle to be faced with every turn of the game. There's enough randomness in the dice and card draw to keep things unpredictable, but there's definitely a tipping point in each game where one side's changes become skewed towards failure - unfortunately we didn't see that in our first game until several fruitless turns later.

We played the first two scenarios from the book. Scenario one felt very limited in tactical options as you only have scouts and riflemen on the board. It devolved into a war of attrition that felt unsatisfying. Scenario two had more asymmetry in deck construction and map layout. It was a lot more fun. I'm very interested to see how the game develops once all the unit cards are in play in some of the later scenarios.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm stuck in the limbo of trying to get a board game night going and ngl it's makin me think "why bother" lol

Maybe this isn't helpful because you're already doing it, but something that massively helped me was shifting my perspective to never, ever trying to run 'board game night' again, and instead running "Dune Night" or "Azul and Root Night" or whatever.

It means that you're recruiting for a specific game, so you don't end up with a bunch of people going "what can we play with 5?" and playing something sub-optimal (or just having trouble choosing what to play). I find people tend to respond better. It also helped me realise which games in my collection I wanted to get people together to play, so I could cull a bunch.

Good luck, I hope you sort it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

!Klams posted:

Maybe this isn't helpful because you're already doing it, but something that massively helped me was shifting my perspective to never, ever trying to run 'board game night' again, and instead running "Dune Night" or "Azul and Root Night" or whatever.

It means that you're recruiting for a specific game, so you don't end up with a bunch of people going "what can we play with 5?" and playing something sub-optimal (or just having trouble choosing what to play). I find people tend to respond better. It also helped me realise which games in my collection I wanted to get people together to play, so I could cull a bunch.

I have been making this shift myself.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just beat my first game of Under Falling Skies. Easy game for babies, can't believe anyone has trouble with this.

Ignore the starting city, easy mode, and the fact that I was one turn away from a total loss, this is irrelevant to my godly abilities.

!Klams posted:

I've only run one board game night (it was meant to be a monthly thing) but I found what helped was to ask everyone beforehand if they had anything they were interested in, then build a curated list of games to put out beforehand. My plan was to transition to doing more 'focused' nights like you recommended, but, well, this was in February 2020 so...yeah

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 5, 2022

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Afriscipio posted:

Finally got a play of Undaunted Normandy in. I've had it in my collection for over 2 years, but never got it to the table.

The in-play deck building aspect of the game is really interesting. Trying to juggle your effectiveness and durability in the face of enemy action is a good puzzle to be faced with every turn of the game. There's enough randomness in the dice and card draw to keep things unpredictable, but there's definitely a tipping point in each game where one side's changes become skewed towards failure - unfortunately we didn't see that in our first game until several fruitless turns later.

We played the first two scenarios from the book. Scenario one felt very limited in tactical options as you only have scouts and riflemen on the board. It devolved into a war of attrition that felt unsatisfying. Scenario two had more asymmetry in deck construction and map layout. It was a lot more fun. I'm very interested to see how the game develops once all the unit cards are in play in some of the later scenarios.

Just skip the first few scenarios, they are just a slow introduction to the different unit types. Once more unit types are available, it becomes great. Just shooting each other with riflemen is not what the game is about.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't like the storytelling of Betrayal - flipping cards and reading out a snippet of some horror movie cliche does nothing for me. The fact that there's no objective at all in the first half of the game also annoys me. And the game depends on sending a random player away to read and internalize a private rule-set is pretty fraught in my experience. Not everyone who likes boardgames likes, or is competent at, reading and understanding rules, and the rulebook is not perfectly written.
None of these are particularly insightful or original critiques, but the thread was just far too kind to Betrayal.

Yeah, my group tried Betrayal a couple times, and then Betrayal Legacy a couple times.. and probably never again.

Very early on, people mostly gave up on "trying to win" a game so random. While that maybe avoided frustration, it likely also made the result feel more tedious. If you're just sort of sitting around together, fiddling with bits while waiting for a game to tell you a story... Betrayal doesn't actually do that much storytelling. We didn't really go for Tales or Cosmic Encounter either - just a few games of each before it felt like a pointless random grind.

Our games of Avalon quite often made for better stories than any of these because, while there's no magic trombones, "the game narrative" and the "trying to win" parts worked together.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I still want to try scooby doo betrayal given the understanding and in spite of all the awful mechanics and criticisms, because the wacky theme will help. I still wish it was faster than it is, and I try to implement a limited rule reading time after the haunt starts. Telling a single player not to participate for even 5 minutes is too much, and I've had groups who liked to plan everything perfectly beforehand which took 10-15 min.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Morpheus posted:

Important question, as I've recently moved and am taking the opportunity to reorganize my Kallax (gently caress me I've got too many game swhy did I buy more shiiiit): when putting your board games on the shelf, so you orient them so that 'up' is to the left or right? That is, do you cock your head to the left or to the right to read the labels?

Those who stack their games on top of each other need not answer - you are beyond god's sight and therefore his love

Left to right! I have recently hit the limits of my sprawling Kallaxs and now have shamefully started stacking the weirder, less popular ones on top until I can offload them. There is also another shame stack that has formed in a narrow gap between two Kallax's as well. In my defense a friend of mine donated a bunch of games that I just haven't had time to trade/give away yet.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Just put a book on the shelf and see what direction the text faces, and then match it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Important question, as I've recently moved and am taking the opportunity to reorganize my Kallax (gently caress me I've got too many game swhy did I buy more shiiiit): when putting your board games on the shelf, so you orient them so that 'up' is to the left or right? That is, do you cock your head to the left or to the right to read the labels?

Those who stack their games on top of each other need not answer - you are beyond god's sight and therefore his love

Up is the left of the box, I. E. Reading downwards. if you do anything else you should be on a register.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm torn on my board game stacking because I put my games in like a bookshelf but then the pieces all fall out of their organizers and I hate it but a lot of my games look better that way and I also don't want to crush the boxes

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
A quick Spirit Island question. How useful are the power progression cards? I'm having a game day with some friends and making the game easier to access by reducing some decisions would be pretty nice.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

!Klams posted:

Thanks. Main issue isn't gathering interest but rather in being the only one trying to set something up combined with finding a good time everyone is free during. I have it easy scheduling-wise because I'm on disability. Fiancee is second easiest to schedule for because she works from home with her shift being whenever she feels like it so long as she meets her deadlines. The other 3 players all have jobs they can't do from home and 2 of the 3 have kids.

In the end it's just a combination of issues with the potential players (except my fiancee):

1. They express interest and want to play but don't actually contact me about when they'd be able to.
2. I'm the only one doing the contacting, I barely ever get an unprompted message from them so there's pressure on me to be the one always initiating contact and scheduling.
3. I know they all have other real life stuff that needs taken care of, responsibilities I do not have, so I completely understand that they just aren't going to have a point of time where they finally get some freedom to relax and decide "I know what to do with this free time, I'm gonna play a tabletop game with kite."

lol so it's all just scheduling conflicts and lack of any driving force besides my own to try to make it happen.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Only a few more days until 3000 Scoundrels is out...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's way too many scoundrels

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Redundant posted:

A quick Spirit Island question. How useful are the power progression cards? I'm having a game day with some friends and making the game easier to access by reducing some decisions would be pretty nice.

How game-savvy are your friends? SI is a pretty complex game and power progression cards are a good lever for reducing complexity on a first game, if they don't play a lot of heavy games or they have serious analysis paralysis. OTOH, if you all play Brass Birmingham or Age of Steam and the like regularly, then I think you could skip them.

Definitely don't use them for the second game unless people were still super-confused coming out of the first game.

One thing I like to do when teaching new people is: when they draw a new power, say that minor powers cost 0-1, majors usually cost 3-5, and they can pull the next major or minor, their choice, from the power progression deck, so Earth doesn't have to wrestle with minors or Lightning/Ocean get majors they may not be able to afford.

eta: I'm always terrible at reminding people they have to forget a power if they draw a major, and often forget to mention that if they want they can forget the power they just drew, don't know if other people always forget to remind new players of those things

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 5, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Hot Diggity! posted:

Only a few more days until 3000 Scoundrels is out...

Why is that exciting? The debut game from that studio was a wet fart from most reports. They clearly have good marketing going on though because it's getting mass media coverage in a way that singular board game releases don't really.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'd rather have 3000 Andrés

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Redundant posted:

Admiralty Flag is absolutely correct in that it depends on how much board game scaffolding people have. They do reduce the decision space as you say so that's probably a good stab if you think that's valuable.

Definitely not needed for game 2. People can use them while people are using the regular deck too.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Admiralty Flag posted:

eta: I'm always terrible at reminding people they have to forget a power if they draw a major, and often forget to mention that if they want they can forget the power they just drew, don't know if other people always forget to remind new players of those things

I would deliberately omit the latter rule. I do find people expect they have to forget a card before seeing the new cards though, so worth being explicit about the ordering - and much easier to take an early major that way!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My Horizons of Spirit Island arrived today! I really like the layout. Board seems a little tight for all the tokens that go on it, but it's workable since there are no adversaries or scenarios complicating things.

All the new Spirits are great, I love the cat and the Studio Ghibli-looking eyes in the trees. It all fits right in with the main game, just a bit friendlier. I want to see how they play and combo with each other, because it looks like they were designed that way on purpose.

I don't even mind the lower quality components.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

LifeLynx posted:

My Horizons of Spirit Island arrived today! I really like the layout. Board seems a little tight for all the tokens that go on it, but it's workable since there are no adversaries or scenarios complicating things.

All the new Spirits are great, I love the cat and the Studio Ghibli-looking eyes in the trees. It all fits right in with the main game, just a bit friendlier. I want to see how they play and combo with each other, because it looks like they were designed that way on purpose.

I don't even mind the lower quality components.

Yeah, mine showed up today too. Looks great! I can't wait to get it to the table. Sounds like you will be coming at this from the very experienced with Spirit Island direction. I will be approaching it from the I played a demo of it finally at Gen Con this year and haven't played a full game yet direction.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How does it track damage on towns and cities with the token?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Bottom Liner posted:

How does it track damage on towns and cities with the token?

The flip side of the tokens is an on-fire version. For cities if they take 2 damage you put an energy marker down next to them to represent the second damage.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
By the way,

quote:

Hi Kazzah,

We're launching our next Spirit Island expansion, Nature Incarnate, on October 18th at 10am CDT- exclusively on BackerKit Crowdfunding.

Spirit Island: Nature Incarnate includes everything from new Spirits, Aspects for existing Spirits, Events, Powers and the new side of a harrowing Adversary. A new mechanic for select Spirits serves as the highlight for this expansion, bringing the fight directly to the Invaders in more ways than ever before.

We're excited to host our first project on BackerKit Crowdfunding, but we know that the first 24 hours of any campaign are critical. Spirit Island wouldn't exist without a crowdfunding campaign like this, and we're determined to keep bringing quality content to the table and your collection as long as we have the support of fans like you.

Can we count on your pledge on October 18th?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Still sitting by, waiting for the day they announce some sort of Spirit Island Big Box.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Morpheus posted:

Still sitting by, waiting for the day they announce some sort of Spirit Island Big Box.

It'll be at retail right next to the Feast for Odin Mega Chest™.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Horizons of Spirit Island and Under Falling Skies successfully snagged at 33% off. Horizons will arrive this weekend and Skies next weekend!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how in Horizons of Spirit Island's ~lore~ the graboid spirit is said to have been really small and mostly insignificant until it managed to eat a small piece of some other larger, more powerful spirit and evolved into a much more threatening thing. The spirit it ate a piece of ended up being one of the new spirits for the Nature Incarnate expansion.

I'm surprised they had enough restraint to only namedrop one upcoming spirit lol

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I played the graboid before and it was a lot of fun to play it: it's passive can appear minor at first, but it's pretty significant in the long term, and I liked how its mechanisms and growth options allowed for a "spread out and snag them" gameplay. Overall I was impressed how they still managed to pack so much conveyance of theme even in relatively simple packages, although for some veterans of Spirit Island the spirits in question will be a tad too much on the simple side to be interesting in the long term.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

FulsomFrank posted:

It'll be at retail right next to the Feast for Odin Mega Chest™.

Spirit Island seems to actually be delivering expansions and not just designer diaries about ideas for expansions, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I played the graboid before and it was a lot of fun to play it: it's passive can appear minor at first, but it's pretty significant in the long term, and I liked how its mechanisms and growth options allowed for a "spread out and snag them" gameplay. Overall I was impressed how they still managed to pack so much conveyance of theme even in relatively simple packages, although for some veterans of Spirit Island the spirits in question will be a tad too much on the simple side to be interesting in the long term.

Sounds perfect then. It sounds like a great way to get the game to the table before moving up to the main box. I'm curious to see how well the Horizons spirits work with the main and expansion spirits.

Also curious to see if Nature Incarnate will include any of the previously named/described but not yet playable spirits like Voice of the Deepest Gorge.