Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Well, I have learned to ask that question and see if the mask slips. Good looking out everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CarForumPoster posted:

Your answer wasn't very good lol I'd ask follow up questions to that vague trash for sure. You would not meet the win condition. Also "not hold it against you" is a stupid win condition. You can build momentum in an interview, "not being held against you" is not the best one can do.

There are perfectly good reasons slightly or significantly improve my view of someone as a candidate for why they left a job after 6 months:
- I've been studying [thing my entry level req is for] and moving to that role wasnt possible in previous job. So excited to start.
- I started a business and boy marketing was harder than I thought. Since you all do that so well, I'm excited to focus on what i do best.
- I went on maternity leave and last place was too small for FMLA. Understandable, ces la vie. I'm excited to get back to work.
- My spouse/partner got an amazing opportunity and my last place was in office only. I was sad to leave but this seems really well aligned with what I did there.

+1 again. Of the people who got hard fired for performance <1 yr, maybe 50% of them have a good canned answer for this. We're straight up telling our goon friend here what to say and he failed to spin it properly even though it its an open book test with the teachers notes right there.
You are wildly out of touch if you think a good candidate is going to mention wanting to go on maternity leave as a reason for leaving a previous job.

Also, I’d have some serious side-eye for someone who took a job and left because they weren’t promoted in 6 months.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What you say (assuming it isn't overtly stupid) doesn't actually matter nearly as much as how you say it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

What you say (assuming it isn't overtly stupid) doesn't actually matter nearly as much as how you say it.

This is also very true, which is why it's important to have something ready to go and to keep it positive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Eric the Mauve posted:

100%

I hire for consulting; it's a super convenient test of "can you take a bad situation and provide a reasonably plausible explanation that is positive and forward looking while maintaining your credibility and acknowledging your agency" because that is what the job is a lot of times

it is astonishing the number of people who are applying for consulting jobs and can't seem to do this!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dik Hz posted:

You are wildly out of touch if you think a good candidate is going to mention wanting to go on maternity leave as a reason for leaving a previous job.

Also, I’d have some serious side-eye for someone who took a job and left because they weren’t promoted in 6 months.

It is an extremely common response for female paralegals and legal assistants. Maybe you're not in touch with that group?

The job change (bullet 1) is meant for an industry shift. E.g. they're currently working as a pharmacy tech and they just finished their code bootcamp and are applying for an entry level frontend dev position.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CarForumPoster posted:

It is an extremely common response for female paralegals and legal assistants. Maybe you're not in touch with that group?

The job change (bullet 1) is meant for an industry shift. E.g. they're currently working as a pharmacy tech and they just finished their code bootcamp and are applying for an entry level frontend dev position.
The general advice is to avoid bringing up protected classes and statuses in an interview because ethical employers can’t use them to make hiring decisions so you’re putting the hiring manager in an uncomfortable place by doing so. Even if the manager is well meaning and supportive, the candidate comes across as naive to many hiring managers by doing so.

Also, suggesting you want a job because you’re planning on taking a bunch of leave conveys a rather naive outlook as well.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

downout posted:

Reading your post reminded me that a lot of your fundamental recommendations are reflected in google's tech writing couse.

The first part(s) take ~3hrs and are invaluable IMO https://developers.google.com/tech-writing

Wait, what the gently caress? Is this free? I have done shittons of writing in my software career, but I'm always leaning on the old 'liberal arts degree' to try and communicate. It's been reasonably successful so far, but could always get better or at least faster.

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
update on my interview, apparently did bad and did not get the position. I took everyones advice and stocked up on 10-12 questions for the CEO regarding his company, the future, and the technology. Interview took about 40 minutes broken down by 15 mins of him talking and introducing himself, 5 minutes of questions. 15 minutes over me and my history and another 5 for some more questions. I felt the problem was his introduction was fairly through and he really broke down his company, the tech, their goals and the limitations of said tech. This knocked out about a good 4 - 5 questions I had. The questions I did ask he did explain and was detail again where they're really focusing on one field and one field only. so i asked about the future and expansion and he again came back to being focused on their niche. fair enough. we talked about myself a bit, work experience going to school, what i want to do as an engineer and why i chose that company. Last 5 minutes I was out of questions so I asked the more general type: what are you and or the engineering lead looking for in this position, and what does the job offer in the future in terms of advancement and new technology. Those were the only two I had left and the interview ended there, he told me he was going to consult with the lead engineer my first interview was with and decide on which candidate they were going forward with. I thought I spoke well enough but i'm guessing not outstanding in any department as to what I brought to the table so they sent me an email later saying they passed on me. This position was not in a location I wanted to relocated to so i'm not extremely bummed about the missed opportunity but getting rejected is a kick in the teeth nonetheless. Going to work on presenting myself and having some better questions pooled. Thanks for the advice you guys, I felt better prepared for the interview and will definitely land the next one.

Spambort fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 6, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Spambort posted:

update on my interview, apparently did bad and did not get the position. I took everyones advice and stocked up on 10-12 questions for the CEO regarding his company, the future, and the technology. Interview took about 40 minutes broken down by 15 mins of him talking and introducing himself, 5 minutes of questions. 15 minutes over me and my history and another 5 for some more questions. I felt the problem was his introduction was fairly through and he really broke down his company, the tech, their goals and the limitations of said tech. This knocked out about a good 4 - 5 questions I had. The questions I did ask he did explain and was detail again where they're really focusing on one field and one field only. so i asked about the future and expansion and he again came back to being focused on their niche. fair enough. we talked about myself a bit, work experience going to school, what i want to do as an engineer and why i chose that company. Last 5 minutes I was out of questions so I asked the more general type: what are you and or the engineering lead looking for in this position, and what does the job offer in the future in terms of advancement and new technology. Those were the only two I had left and the interview ended there. I thought I spoke well enough but i'm guessing not outstanding in any department as to what I brought to the table so they sent me an email later saying they passed on me. This position was not in a location I wanted to relocated to so i'm not extremely bummed about the missed opportunity but getting rejected is a kick in the teeth nonetheless. Going to work on presenting myself and having some better questions pooled. Thanks for the advice you guys, I felt better prepared for the interview and will definitely land the next one.

I’ve had this set of facts occur when I already had a candidate that I was pretty sure was going to get the job but wanted to interview one or two more for some reason. Eg maybe I wasn’t sure the other candidate would accept the offer or maybe they were the first one to reach 2nd interview stage. Or maybe we have diversity policies that necessitate evaluating multiple candidates. When I get to this point I’m being very picky and directly comparing new people against them.

Nothing about what you posted stands out as needing some coaching. Don’t beat yourself up.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CarForumPoster posted:

I’ve had this set of facts occur when I already had a candidate that I was pretty sure was going to get the job but wanted to interview one or two more for some reason. Eg maybe I wasn’t sure the other candidate would accept the offer or maybe they were the first one to reach 2nd interview stage. Or maybe we have diversity policies that necessitate evaluating multiple candidates. When I get to this point I’m being very picky and directly comparing new people against them.

Nothing about what you posted stands out as needing some coaching. Don’t beat yourself up.
100% agree with CFP here. Getting the job or not often has nothing to do with your performance in an interview for any number of reasons.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

To add to the "don't beat yourself up" message: the default is failure and remind yourself that you're interviewing them. The position being in an unfavorable location is a huge strike against them, and they have to overcome that. You may not get the next one and that's okay.

CEOs are also challenging interviews, because nobody really checks their judgement on things and they can dislike you for any reason. I try to always be overly respectful of their time. If I ran out of questions, I'd say I'm excited about learning more from the hiring manager and SMEs and thank them for taking time to meet with me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That honestly sounds like you did everything right. That can happen and still not get a job offer. The fact that he explicitly mentioned the lead engineer seems to me that they had a skillset in mind. The fact that you got all the way to the CEO means you qualified, they just found someone who had a specific experience, skill, relation, whatever.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? Is this free? I have done shittons of writing in my software career, but I'm always leaning on the old 'liberal arts degree' to try and communicate. It's been reasonably successful so far, but could always get better or at least faster.

Free and solid content, can't beat it. It's big on reinforcing the concepts of clarity and brevity. Which I did not practice when getting my degree.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I've had two full interview processes where everything is going right and I'm clicking with the team, and I expected offers. I get rejected and later find out they were using me to make sure they had a qualified candidate for comparison, so they could hire the person they'd already picked. Recruiters gave that up because I badgered them about wasting my time, and they wanted to be off the hook. You are sometimes in a situation where you can't succeed.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

downout posted:

Free and solid content, can't beat it. It's big on reinforcing the concepts of clarity and brevity. Which I did not practice when getting my degree.

Need a 15 page document? I need 4 hours.

Need a 1 page memo? I need 4 days.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

bort posted:

I've had two full interview processes where everything is going right and I'm clicking with the team, and I expected offers. I get rejected and later find out they were using me to make sure they had a qualified candidate for comparison, so they could hire the person they'd already picked. Recruiters gave that up because I badgered them about wasting my time, and they wanted to be off the hook. You are sometimes in a situation where you can't succeed.

It's extremely common. I'd go so far as to say most jobs that get posted, they already know perfectly well who they're going to hire and it's just fulfilling process requirements. It's really important to internalize early in your career that your emotional response is wrong, it's not in the slightest way a personal rejection.

Even in OP's case, if he got to the final round he impressed someone enough that there might be future opportunities that come from it.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Lockback posted:

I'd focus more on specific externalities honestly. "The company was great, but the Database Engineer position required knowledge of wiring runs, electrical design, etc. This was unfortunately not a good fit for either of us but I am glad for the opportunity and now looking for that next long-term landing spot."

If they ask "Database Engineer did wiring?" You can kinda joke like "I know, right? I suggested maybe changing their job posting" with a smile. That keeps things positive and makes you look like someone who can handle situations without being a detractor.

I worry a little about vague "unforeseen changes", that would sound a little red flaggy to me. So I'd suggest a little specific but keep it positive. For what it's worth, I don't think hiring managers will be too concerned given your whole history.

This is very good advice. I think I’ll be taking this. I spoke to the recruiter who helped me get this job and he was understandably shocked at what happened. He didn’t know why they expected me to know how to wire or install poo poo since neither he nor I never said I did or presented I would. He also reiterated a lot of what you all said that sometimes you just end up in a company that’s a bad fit.

He’s looking at some positions much closer to my home which would be nice. I’ve also applied to a few positions.

Thank you all for the advice and support. It has meant more to me then you know.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
In general if you end up somewhere and someone asks you to do something that isn't even within the list of logical things for you to learn then you can just refuse it. If you pitch it as "I can learn but I don't know what I'm doing so it'll take ages and I might gently caress it up" they'll probably realise that they'll be better off not asking.

TheJanitor
Apr 17, 2007
Ask me about being the strongest janitor since Roger Wilco
Polishing up my CV and would appreciate some advice on it: https://user.fm/files/v2-24d6d55d15545e67d3d778107c01ad5e/CV%20for%20SA(1).pdf. It's formatted nicely using Latex when I have access to my normal PC, this pdf's formatting is just temporary. The main thing I'm struggling with (other than trying to cram in real numbers everywhere) is that it feels very backend/devops heavy. I do feel quite competent at the frontend side of things but it doesn't really come across which might impact full stack dev applications. It just feels much less impactful to talk about "Made a pretty component" or "wrote some cool css". Perhaps that's all fine and i'm overthinking it?

Edit: Preemptively editted down to one page after removing keyword stuffing skills section / some weaker points https://user.fm/files/v2-d793c74c192fdcd861c79508b14b0bda/CV%20for%20SA(3).pdf

Edit 2: https://user.fm/files/v2-3d46b0a88cb3489746e9fd21b065d42e/CV%20for%20SA-2.pdf

TheJanitor fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 11, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

TheJanitor posted:

Polishing up my CV and would appreciate some advice on it: https://user.fm/files/v2-24d6d55d15545e67d3d778107c01ad5e/CV%20for%20SA(1).pdf. It's formatted nicely using Latex when I have access to my normal PC, this pdf's formatting is just temporary. The main thing I'm struggling with (other than trying to cram in real numbers everywhere) is that it feels very backend/devops heavy. I do feel quite competent at the frontend side of things but it doesn't really come across which might impact full stack dev applications. It just feels much less impactful to talk about "Made a pretty component" or "wrote some cool css". Perhaps that's all fine and i'm overthinking it?

Edit: Preemptively editted down to one page after removing keyword stuffing skills section / some weaker points https://user.fm/files/v2-d793c74c192fdcd861c79508b14b0bda/CV%20for%20SA(3).pdf

Thoughts as they happened:

-This is PACKED with words. Makes it difficult to glance through.
-You're in Ireland, be wary of the advice you get from us Americans. Cultural norms can play a huge role in what is expected from a resume.
-M Eng in 2015, coding jobs since 2013, kinda ugly resume? Senior dev! Nice!
-Is a team lead, good.
-Is gonna want a remote job.
-Maybe its the redacting but I have deployed multiple Django apps and Postgres DBs and have no idea what this is supposed to be telling me:
code:
Designed, implemented and product-owned Formulas at Startup. More powerful and flexible than competitors
formulas, whilst remaining as simple to use as excel. Takes seconds to calculate results for millions of rows
using the power of PostgreSQL. Built using ANLTR4, a custom python AST, typing system and generator that
produces Django Expressions, with a Javascript/Vue autocompleting editor. Highly extensible, new formula
types and functions can be plugged into the language easily by plugin authors.
-Formatting typo on self employed line
-Self employed but no talk of business metrics. At Sr Eng/team lead level, I expect a little knowledge of business stuff even if not a PM and no desire for frontline management. Need some business deets. Be prepared to discuss in interview.
-Seems to own or touch large parts of software dev processes. Talks about details of writing code as well as productivity tools around deployment. IMO a good thing for a startup senior to have.

Overall: It's decent, though wordy. The picture of a senior who isn't afraid to jump in where needed is made clear, so long as I am willing to grant you the time despite your blocks of text. Some people might not be willing to give you that time, its worth cleaning up a bit. Make your Sr-ness more obvious at just a glance so they'll give you the time. Ask yourself "How can I say this same bullet with fewer words?" Loop over each bullet. put down resume, come back in 3 days, repeat process. Use that newly found space to embiggen the job titles, dates and educations.

EDIT: Some missing pieces that might be nice:
- Business metrics as above. Resume is very very products focused. That may be okay, particularly if its what you want, but understanding how the product impacts the business is useful.
- You're a lead but no talk of mentoring or code reviews. Ultra-technical-only resume might get you passed over for lead roles without the "other" parts of being a lead. Simplifying the deployment process in a way that affects a large number of people is a point well made though.
- Its not super clear that you've kept your skills up to date. That skills section you deleted...maybe bring it back and talk about some of the more recent popular tech stack and deployment stuffs. Serverless functions, cloud based deployment options, any technologies that have risen to prominence only in the last 5 years and you expect will be important in the next 5 years.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 11, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd bring the skills section back and maybe turn the last 2 or so jobs into single line items to free up the room. I also would probably prefer this to be formatted in an easier way to read and be 2 pages vs solid text like it is here and fit on 1.

Also, its really great to see someone full-stack actually have real full-stack credentials. I agree this is a pretty great resume, it's just a little hard to pluck out the key pieces.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 11, 2022

TheJanitor
Apr 17, 2007
Ask me about being the strongest janitor since Roger Wilco
Thanks for the feedback, I've gone back to two pages for some much needed whitespace, I do plan to run this all through Latex at the end so it'll come out looking crisp: https://user.fm/files/v2-3d46b0a88cb3489746e9fd21b065d42e/CV%20for%20SA-2.pdf

• I've reworded the formula bit to make it clearer that I created a formula programming language from scratch for this job. (My compilers course uni lecturer was smiling down on me that day)
  • My current job is struggling with business metrics, there are goals per say, but I would be completely making stuff up if I tried to put any normal KPI's on here as we have no idea. I'll keep on plugging away at this as I'm sure I can figure some more actual businessy things ontop of the vague stuff I added. Also perhaps this is a sign I should actually implement some real business metrics.
  • The last 6 months+ for me have been 50+% reviewing/mentoring thankfully, have added a point now.
  • I've wacked on the skills section again with all the random technologies i've been playing with.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Irish CVs tend to be two pages. Don't worry about that. I'd probably stick your undergrad on there too, and even your secondary school if it's one that'll impress the kinds of people who end up making hiring decisions. If this applies to you then you will know about it.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
Hey all,

I have a job interview Monday with a company less then 10 miles from my house.

Thank you all so very much for the rock solid advice and just helpful support during a low point. I’m feeling optimistic for the first time in awhile and I’m on medication to correct any further ADD issues.

Things are looking up.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Morand posted:

Hey all,

Thank you all so very much for the rock solid advice and just helpful support during a low point. I’m feeling optimistic for the first time in awhile and I’m on medication to correct any further ADD issues.

Things are looking up.

You can do it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Morand posted:

Hey all,

Things are looking up.
Hey, my dude. C'mere.

You didn't have ADD issues. You had a lovely job that was asking you to do someone else's job, and a lovely boss who took advantage of your ADD to get his son ahead. This won't happen again because you're on record as having it and you know not to doubt yourself now. You got this. You've never not had it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Random thought today: What do you all put to describe your jobs on LinkedIn? For me, it's just a clone of what's on my resume: that is, accomplishments instead of duties. Anyone here have an opinion if this should be done differently?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Magnetic North posted:

Random thought today: What do you all put to describe your jobs on LinkedIn? For me, it's just a clone of what's on my resume: that is, accomplishments instead of duties. Anyone here have an opinion if this should be done differently?

Agree with you, but I'll add some deets on LI in general.

I use LI as a picture book clone of my resume with some thoughts paid to SEO with the job titles, endorsements, adding recruiters, etc. I've been out of the "use LinkedIn for job hunting" game a LONG time but I nabbed a FAANG with it 10 years ago so I have positive opinions. IMO use it to reinforce the story in your resume.

I think people leave a LOT on the table by not using pictures throughout the resume. Particularly engineers. IMO if you're an engineer, your resume should paint you into one of a few different stereotypes. The SEO and adding recruiters got them to the page, the content converted to an interview. I painted myself as an engineer's engineer, car guy, builder of novel things. My LinkedIn for first job post undergrad had the paper I coauthored with some pics from it, pictures of parts I had machined, and my accomplishments and role in successfully delivered projects.

You can also show that you understand the cultural norms of the role, industry and company on your LinkedIn. For example:
If you're a manager, wear a suit with some exceptions on industry.
If you're in sales, appear super duper friendly.
If you're a litigation attorney, a professional headshot is the way.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Resume online is fine. Ideally you'd want to keep updating it though. So having a more high level view on your resume and your linkedin being more of "here's a hot list of somewhat recent stuff". Keeping your Linkedin with frequent updates will keep your profile on the top of various recruiter lists and whatnot. But I don't do that so copy&paste is fine too.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

I do 3 most important points from my resume and then throw in whatever the generic business description the company has. I've always been told you don't want to give the whole thing away and entice enough for a recruiter to reach out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CarForumPoster posted:

You can also show that you understand the cultural norms of the role, industry and company on your LinkedIn. For example:
If you're a manager, wear a suit with some exceptions on industry.
If you're in sales, appear super duper friendly.
If you're a litigation attorney, a professional headshot is the way.
I'm a penetration tester so what I'm taking from this is facemask, sunglasses, hoodie.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm a penetration tester so what I'm taking from this is facemask, sunglasses, hoodie.

Non joke answer: show-dont-tell that you’re not a weirdo

Picture could be a huge help or an instant bin. You need to look trustworthy and sociable.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Hi viz vest and clipboard and you’re golden

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CarForumPoster posted:

Non joke answer: show-dont-tell that you’re not a weirdo

Picture could be a huge help or an instant bin. You need to look trustworthy and sociable.
I just don't bother with a picture at all, and I get a recruiter on average every two days trying to poach me. It'll be interesting when I actually am trying to move.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Hi viz vest and clipboard and you’re golden
Comedy option was me just taking one of the listed options and doing that as a disguise.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
The job(s) I'm currently working will most likely conclude by spring of 2023, so I'm getting ready to find the next stage in my career. However, I lack any clear direction in what that will be. While I plum just don't like working, I also don't know what's out there, so I'm open to any suggestions on roles or industries to apply for. I'm looking to make around $80k (currently grossing $65k) without working myself to the bone. For the past year and a half, I've been overseeing a development project for a lovely college professor who got in over her head on a property investment, so I reckon I could find a job as a property manager for some real estate company, although that sounds potentially heinous. I've also been handling administrative work for that professor's son, who runs a strategy consulting start-up–and while I've found that I despise consulting, those skills should be transferable to company that actually makes something.

Anyway, here is my resume, please rip to shreds. Are the metrics I've included properly contextualized? How could I better phrase something like "handling payroll" as an accomplishment? Should I just nix that whole "relevant skills" section?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Head Bee Guy posted:

The job(s) I'm currently working will most likely conclude by spring of 2023, so I'm getting ready to find the next stage in my career. However, I lack any clear direction in what that will be. While I plum just don't like working, I also don't know what's out there, so I'm open to any suggestions on roles or industries to apply for. I'm looking to make around $80k (currently grossing $65k) without working myself to the bone. For the past year and a half, I've been overseeing a development project for a lovely college professor who got in over her head on a property investment, so I reckon I could find a job as a property manager for some real estate company, although that sounds potentially heinous. I've also been handling administrative work for that professor's son, who runs a strategy consulting start-up–and while I've found that I despise consulting, those skills should be transferable to company that actually makes something.

Anyway, here is my resume, please rip to shreds. Are the metrics I've included properly contextualized? How could I better phrase something like "handling payroll" as an accomplishment? Should I just nix that whole "relevant skills" section?

Thoughts:
nicely formatted resume, easy to glance
Keep skills
Good job painting picture of ops person who can get work done
Ditch “over” in front of $ amounts. I’d make any $ amount $k or $M, seems more professional.

Being in ops focused roles is kinda at odds with doesn’t like to work, those are the workiest. This could get you in at a lot of places though outside of major metros $80k might be pushing it unless you begin to develop expertise that generates or saves $300k+ revenue/yr at a smaller company or >$500k/yr at a bigger one. Coding, sales, property management could all fall within this I’d think, but time to pick something.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 14, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'd also ask what you did between 2018-2021 so if you are gonna leave that gap just have a good answer.

It's a good resume otherwise tho

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'd also ask what you did between 2018-2021 so if you are gonna leave that gap just have a good answer.

It's a good resume otherwise tho

Oh poo poo I didn’t notice the date at all. This resume has 1 year of work on it with three part time jobs. It’s now kinda sus for BS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the input. Your suspicions are correct, and my past work is a bit less glamorous. I previously worked for a tech company, essentially writing copy, for six months from November 2019-May 2020. I got canned (along with a few others) for leaking to the press, so I’ll claim that they downsized and outsourced my department during the early stages of the pandemic (which isn’t untrue). I then spent the rest of 2020 collecting unemployment and learning some programming, but I could claim to be a personal assistant to the property manager boss during some of that time.

I’ll make some updates to the resume and post again