Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

this is a post Epstein world and you think that’s for shock value?

I mean fair enough, it wasnt just the child sex worker aspect it was the child sex worker academy that specifically bothered me. The Epstein comparison is astute and contextualizes it a bit more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
You sent me to whore Gundam school.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Terminal autist posted:

I mean fair enough, it wasnt just the child sex worker aspect it was the child sex worker academy that specifically bothered me. The Epstein comparison is astute and contextualizes it a bit more

I wonder if the Gundam writers were also aware of the Dutroux Affair.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Terminal autist posted:

I was typing up a post of mcgillis backstory and just deleted it. Its never comes out and says what happens but its really explicit in showing it and frankly just way to dark for a show about giant robots to sell toys

It’s a show about child soldiers (the unfun kind), slavery, horrific medical body mutilation done to the poor, and how all of it’s interconnected in a big web to the power of capital and the elites who profit from it. Mcgillis’s backstory as horrid as it is fits perfectly into that. It’s not like all the other stuff wasn’t already just as bleak and effed up.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The writers wouldn't even have to be particularly aware of bourgeois pederasty to come up with those details, because pederast relationships between powerful men and their groomed understudies has historical precedent.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Terminal autist posted:

The new Gundam is great and yeah its nice to see. IBO had clearly coded gay dudes and ladies but was to cowardly to actually show it. It also had some really hosed up pedophilia/grooming whatever was going on in the turbans. Great show but that and whatever was going on with mcgillis backstory just felt gross for shock value.

Yamagi wasn’t coded gay, he was just gay. There’s even a scene where someone flat out tells Shinzo that Yamagi likes him.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

sometimes u live just long enough to kill a motherfucker

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

watched cyberpunk it was really good.

Golden Kamuy and Mob Psycho 100 are back !!!!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

On this day yesterday 10 years ago, the first episode of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure aired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUyTmUwEUy8

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

Are there any manga or anime (ones with significant audiences, that is) that include organized labor themes, even as a throwaway plot point? Off the top of my head all I can remember is Akko getting unionpilled in that episode of Little Witch Academia where the school service staff goes on strike, and the Dungeon Meshi manga (soon to be anime!!!!!!) where Chilchuck starts a union for halflings after adventurer parties kept using them as monster bait.

Patlabor ovas have a union organizing episode where one side becomes literal Nazis as a meta gag

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Clip-On Fedora posted:

On this day yesterday 10 years ago, the first episode of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure aired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUyTmUwEUy8

im going to get back to watching it now

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

SexyBlindfold posted:

Are there any manga or anime (ones with significant audiences, that is) that include organized labor themes, even as a throwaway plot point? Off the top of my head all I can remember is Akko getting unionpilled in that episode of Little Witch Academia where the school service staff goes on strike, and the Dungeon Meshi manga (soon to be anime!!!!!!) where Chilchuck starts a union for halflings after adventurer parties kept using them as monster bait.

IBO has a serious union arc but like everything else in that series it ends grimdarkly for them

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Watched the first episode of Fuuto PI. No henshin and they didn't play the themesong. 0/10

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Watched the first episode of Fuuto PI. No henshin and they didn't play the themesong. 0/10

sounds more like farto pee if you ask me!!!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

sirtommygunn posted:

Watch the original up to the end of the Soul Society arc and then write a little fanfiction ending in your head because it will be better than anything that happens after that.

Absolutely not true. Yeah the main story goes to poo poo but you still have things like "I'm going to use my secret technique of using a proper two-handed kendo stance instead of just doing whatever the gently caress" and the last arc in particular has some of my favorites like one villain is a luchador and his special power is to create a tiny hype man who powers him up by cheering, or another guy who can make anything he imagines real who dies from stroking out or the legendary sword maker who has a sword with the power of "is sharp" and it's so dumb it's great.

the manga is better though it's quicker to read and the chapter titles are a thing of beauty as well

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Do It Yourself, the series about a high school DIY club has the classic anime scene where the experienced older student realizes this otherwise unassuming freshman might be something special, but instead of it happening because the freshman inadvertently revealed a hidden unpolished natural talent or skill, it’s because her name is Yua Serufu.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ok now I gotta watch this show

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Neat art style.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ok I'm sorry I have to post again because Akiba Maid Sensou is indescribable.

If you are a fan of the Yakuza game series you have to watch that first episode.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

christmas boots posted:

Absolutely not true. Yeah the main story goes to poo poo but you still have things like "I'm going to use my secret technique of using a proper two-handed kendo stance instead of just doing whatever the gently caress" and the last arc in particular has some of my favorites like one villain is a luchador and his special power is to create a tiny hype man who powers him up by cheering, or another guy who can make anything he imagines real who dies from stroking out or the legendary sword maker who has a sword with the power of "is sharp" and it's so dumb it's great.

the manga is better though it's quicker to read and the chapter titles are a thing of beauty as well

You're right there are still occasional good moments but I didn't mean there was literally nothing of value after that point. It's just the good gets spread out over so much bad that I don't think it's worth anybody's time to keep watching after Soul Society.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Patlabor ovas have a union organizing episode where one side becomes literal Nazis as a meta gag

https://i.imgur.com/gCrhsfs.mp4

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

sirtommygunn posted:

You're right there are still occasional good moments but I didn't mean there was literally nothing of value after that point. It's just the good gets spread out over so much bad that I don't think it's worth anybody's time to keep watching after Soul Society.

Oh yeah, there's like a good moment every 15 or so chapters and even then half of it is just a good idea poorly executed or a dumb thing presented so straightforward it can only be amazing. And the anime pacing is terrible so don't consume it that way if you're gonna. 100% agreed

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

HerraS posted:

bleach is about introducing ghost mengele and then just deciding hes a good guy now

Mayuri is one of my favorite Bleach characters and I really wish he got a lot more screentime, but a pretty big chunk of that screentime should be him getting called out and dunked on for being such a twisted rear end in a top hat.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ideally someone should stick Mayuri's brain in a computer (pref against his will) and just have him exist as a floating head in a tube like that guy from Tron and let him run Soul Society's mainframe or some poo poo.

I. M. Gei has issued a correction as of 01:38 on Oct 7, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bleach just isn't worth the time investment anymore. Most of the people ITT are way too old for the mindset which thinks that's the coolest poo poo ever. It's really only fit for actual teenagers, since it at least has a lot of style.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'll probably dip in on episodes that interest me, but i certainly won't follow it week to week.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

*enka-ishly* moe moe kyun...

akiba maid war aots

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
oh poo poo there's a new season of Encouragement of Climb too? There's too much anime!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

wolfs posted:

*enka-ishly* moe moe kyun...

akiba maid war aots

wtf was that

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

ep 21 of LOGH rules so hard. Yang reluctantly puts down the coup forces so the enemy commander live broadcasts his own suicide and then the coup cop goes full fash beating protestors in a stadium.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

genericnick posted:

wtf was that

Raw anime, injected straight into your eyeballs.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Bojack Horseman is a good anime

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

Bojack Horseman is a good anime

Just because he raped a teenager doesn't make it anime.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

leftist anime Pui Pui Molcar returns. Requires Japanese IP

https://twitter.com/molcar_anime/status/1578520547104653317

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

PerniciousKnid posted:

Just because he raped a teenager doesn't make it anime.

Almost! And technically the age of consent in New Mex

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Gundam: the witch from mercury only has two eps out but it whips rear end and is literally just utena so far

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Witch from Mercury has me bigly curious about what's going on outside of massive inter-corporate group feuding

might go see if the actual Gundam thread knows what's going on

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its not a very good thread

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
oh do you post there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

wolfs posted:

Witch from Mercury has me bigly curious about what's going on outside of massive inter-corporate group feuding

might go see if the actual Gundam thread knows what's going on

It turns out the series is an adaptation of The Tempest, not Utena.