Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

Math You posted:

Got pretty soaked in a big downpour the other day (in my rain coat).

If you're mostly doing on-trail hiking I have a silpoly jacket from lightheart gear that I really like. It's totally waterproof and there's no membrane to eventually wear out. The fabric itself is not breathable, so it's cut a little bulkier than other jackets and it has huge pit zips for ventilation. Definitely recommended, unless you're spending a lot of time going through really thick brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Math You posted:

It was pretty cheap and lasted a decent length of time but the membrane around the top half of it is pretty torn up, so I think it's time to send it to poo poo up a landfill for 8,000 years or whatever. Who said I wouldn't have a legacy!?

I was considering getting something a bit nicer and perhaps even breathable but I'd like it to be long lasting.
Any recs? My budget would be around $200.00.
Hell, I'm wondering if an actual waterproof poncho is the real environmental/economical play

For casual use I picked up a Goretex jacket at out nearby Eddie Bauer outlet a few years ago. I am not sure of the model name but there is still something similar available at the outlet and probably online. Being from SoCal I don't use it here often, but it has served me well in NZ and the UK for many a rain and wind filled day. It is not quite parka length and is unlined, so it feels a bit unpleasant against my skin if I am wearing short sleeves underneath. But for the super sale markdown price of $40 it was worth it. Packs down to the size of a 1l bottle but is not the lightest option out there. Mrs. Trophy and I have matching ones so we look like complete dorks when touristing abroad in the rain.

But a few weeks ago I bought one of the Zpacks rain jackets. And holy crap that thing is awesome, but $100 over your budget.. I tested it in the rain only once during the hurricane remnants that came through here. It was very odd weather for us. Hot, humid and rain. The ventilation was better than any rain jacket I have ever owned and the rain just beaded up and fell off. I bought it because we are going to the Channel Islands national park in December and I wanted something light that packs down small. Mrs. Trophy knows it was probably expensive but has not asked me how much it was, but she knows my spending habits and how to use the interwebs. I am sure I will be tightening my belt and getting one for her too. At least it is cheaper than bike racing.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Math You posted:

It was pretty cheap and lasted a decent length of time but the membrane around the top half of it is pretty torn up, so I think it's time to send it to poo poo up a landfill for 8,000 years or whatever. Who said I wouldn't have a legacy!?

I was considering getting something a bit nicer and perhaps even breathable but I'd like it to be long lasting.
Any recs? My budget would be around $200.00.
Hell, I'm wondering if an actual waterproof poncho is the real environmental/economical play

Marmot PreCip is the best typical rain gear.

None of it will be breathable for long no matter how much you spend. Its all just complicated temperature control in the long run.

Depending on where you typically hike, what the use case for this jacket is, you may want to look at a cheap poncho too. Thats my go to now 90% of the time, until we get really cold/sleet rain here in MN.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
It's crazy heresy in North America, but I thought it was interesting that every single guide on my Kilimanjaro trip last year had a big rear end umbrella. They had hard shells available as well, but they definitely preferred hiking with the umbrella when it wasn't too windy (which seemed to be sustained 15mph+). I asked why and they said it was a normal thing in Tanzania, and that an umbrella was much easier to deal with than constantly taking layers on and off, and they didn't mind the extra weight. They don't recommend them in traveler packing lists because they're tricky to handle in the wind and don't secure easily to the daypacks most guests are using on the mountain.

I have tried hiking with an umbrella one time since and it felt kind of weird, but I was nice and ventilated and dry. I was alone for the whole hike thanks to the lovely weather so I didn't even suffer any incredulous stares.

Not sure I would bother on a longer overnight trip but it cant work just fine on a day hike.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Umbrellas are great with no wind but they're bulky and wont work on narrow trails with tall foliage.. you'll constantly be getting it snagged on stuff. But otherwise if you don't need trekking poles and are willing to hold it all day they are super nice.

Rain coats are miserable but they check the boxes that hikers need.. light, compressible, and work in all conditions.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Looking for a high performance but drippy goretex shell to use for inclement weather in town and trail. The Arcteryx beta in lucent is pretty sick, but they’re out of stock and pricey. I’m also seriously considering a REI stormbolt in black, but looking for other suggestions.

Also, who makes good merino wool sweaters that don’t look overly hiking-y?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

Dunno what overly hiking-y looks like but maybe this? https://www.firstlite.com/products/...-baselayer-tops

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I know temp ratings are usually “will not die” ratings but I’m trying to find a hammock under quilt for a weekend that has a low of 30. I’m looking at the ENO Blaze. Good news is this isn’t backpacking life of death, it’ll be in the woods behind a cabin and I’ll prolly keep a fire going nearby.

I have a 17 degree down hammock and top quilt I could combo with it. Big part is keeping my booty warm when the bag compresses.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I banged my ankle up pretty good on my trip this weekend while wading up some rapids. Lucky to have just gotten away a couple hours of pain and a nasty looking scab/bruising.
While I love my Keen Newports they don't protect your ankle at all. Even a trail runner would have material near your fibula that might blunt an impact.

I'm looking for something that will offer me more protection, but needs to drain and dry well.
When I'm on portage trips I am often wading and then hiking fairly difficult trails while heavily loaded, in the same wet footwear. Grip on wet rock is also of paramount importance as you might imagine.

With all the GTX products flying around it seems that use cases where daily flooding of the boot is to be expected are a bit niche, but thought it was worth the ask.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Maybe a pair of gaiters with the shoes you already use? Not sure if they make any with meaningful padding, but there are some tough fabric ones out there.

Edit: I'm picturing something like this https://www.amazon.com/Leg-Shield-Low-Gaiters-Comfortable/dp/B09N45PTH7 although I think you'd need to sew a strap on those to go under your shoe or else they'd probably ride up the ankle and be kinda useless.

armorer fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 3, 2022

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Rolo posted:

I know temp ratings are usually “will not die” ratings but I’m trying to find a hammock under quilt for a weekend that has a low of 30. I’m looking at the ENO Blaze. Good news is this isn’t backpacking life of death, it’ll be in the woods behind a cabin and I’ll prolly keep a fire going nearby.

I have a 17 degree down hammock and top quilt I could combo with it. Big part is keeping my booty warm when the bag compresses.

I have not heard good things about the ENO Blaze.

If you're looking for a cheap UQ check out Arrowhead Equipment. They make Apex quilts that are cheap and generally well regarded. I have a 45F TQ/UQ set and a 20F UQ, both have performed well to their temp limits.

Underquilts are where people tend to feel the cold the most, so practice your setup to get it hanging right. Something like these can greatly help with that if you find yourself in need - https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ridgeline-quilt-hooks/

Heavy Sleeper
May 30, 2020

Math You posted:

I banged my ankle up pretty good on my trip this weekend while wading up some rapids. Lucky to have just gotten away a couple hours of pain and a nasty looking scab/bruising.
While I love my Keen Newports they don't protect your ankle at all. Even a trail runner would have material near your fibula that might blunt an impact.

I'm looking for something that will offer me more protection, but needs to drain and dry well.
When I'm on portage trips I am often wading and then hiking fairly difficult trails while heavily loaded, in the same wet footwear. Grip on wet rock is also of paramount importance as you might imagine.

With all the GTX products flying around it seems that use cases where daily flooding of the boot is to be expected are a bit niche, but thought it was worth the ask.

Astral makes some good wet shoes with various support/protection levels depending on your style and have rubber designed for gripping wet slippery rocks. They are all designed to drain pretty quickly but the fabric can take a while to dry, during the summer this isn't an issue but if it's cold you can get a pair of NRS wetsocks to keep you a little warmer. My other option is usually a pair of xtratuf/muck/rubber boots but these wont work if the water you're wading in is deeper than the tops, you can dump the water out but they will be damp for the rest of your trip. NRS boundary boots are awesome and dry unfortunately my feet don't agree with their shape.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
We have a 3 day, 2 night backpacking trip coming up at Channel Islands NP. On the last day the boat does not leave the island until later in the afternoon, so we have time to put in a nice day hike. The park has a place to store our gear between camp site check out and the boat departure. Rather than haul our packs around, are there any compact (when not in use) smaller bags like the Sea to Summit ultrasil 18l that anyone would recommend? If it can work with a bladder of some type, even better.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

We have a 3 day, 2 night backpacking trip coming up at Channel Islands NP. On the last day the boat does not leave the island until later in the afternoon, so we have time to put in a nice day hike. The park has a place to store our gear between camp site check out and the boat departure. Rather than haul our packs around, are there any compact (when not in use) smaller bags like the Sea to Summit ultrasil 18l that anyone would recommend? If it can work with a bladder of some type, even better.

REI Flash 18

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I was just about to say the REI flash series. I just picked up a flash 22 off my local buy nothing group for free and its great. I had been wanting a summit pack that I can bring along on backpacking trips which works better than the lid of my pack.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

highme posted:

REI Flash 18

Yep, the Flash 18 is our go-to for that sort of thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My only nitpick with the flash 18 is the new ones only have a single strand of webbing down the back. My old one that finally got too many holes to repair had two at the corners and it was easier to lash stuff to the bag.. could do criss crosses with shock cord and have a nice place to stuff sandals or poles or whatever.

And lol just checked their site and there's an even newer one that has no webbing at all. C'mon REI, you're ruining a legend.

Beezus
Sep 11, 2018

I never said I was a role model.

Head Bee Guy posted:

I swear by Smartwool.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Unbound is stylish merino.
https://unboundmerino.com/collections/sweaters

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Just ordered some Sawyer Permethrin spray, wondering if anyone had some Cool Tips & Tricks when spraying. I'll probably just get a cheap tarp to spray stuff on my driveway because I don't want to annihilate any of the critters in my yard.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Manzoon posted:

Just ordered some Sawyer Permethrin spray, wondering if anyone had some Cool Tips & Tricks when spraying. I'll probably just get a cheap tarp to spray stuff on my driveway because I don't want to annihilate any of the critters in my yard.

I've always run a piece of paracord or something as a makeshift clothesline, and hung whatever I'm spraying from that.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

armorer posted:

I've always run a piece of paracord or something as a makeshift clothesline, and hung whatever I'm spraying from that.

Well that's a better idea more than likely, at least I won't have to flip anything.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Manzoon posted:

Spray away and keep out of direct sunlight.

I buy the concentrated stuff and dilute down then soak my clothes and whatnot. Cheaper and seems to last a bit longer.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Spray away and keep out of direct sunlight.

I buy the concentrated stuff and dilute down then soak my clothes and whatnot. Cheaper and seems to last a bit longer.

I saw the livestock strength 10% formula on amazon but wasn't willing to commit to that just yet for my own diluting purposes, haha. I assumed it was sunlight sensitive, I've got a pretty good shaded spot in my yard to set up a line and hang all my clothes and gear, thanks though.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I've never bothered to keep it out of sunlight while spraying it. I think that's more for long term storage? Definitely make sure it's fully dry before bringing it in, particularly if you have pets/cats. Make sure you spray some socks too, don't forget about those.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Yeah, my spray list is boots, socks (2 pair), pants, shirts (x2), jacket, backpack, tent (footprint and rainfly too if I have enough). I'll see how much I have left after doing that much from a 24oz bottle. I only ordered it online because I couldn't find any at a local outfitter which surprised me. Will definitely be using some nitrile gloves when spraying this on.

I'm just doing a 2.5 mile hike in overnighter one weekend in November to test my setup, but hey I don't want any kind of crazy tick diseases.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Manzoon posted:

I'm just doing a 2.5 mile hike in overnighter one weekend in November to test my setup, but hey I don't want any kind of crazy tick diseases.

Tick diseases just build character

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Manzoon posted:

Yeah, my spray list is boots, socks (2 pair), pants, shirts (x2), jacket, backpack, tent (footprint and rainfly too if I have enough). I'll see how much I have left after doing that much from a 24oz bottle. I only ordered it online because I couldn't find any at a local outfitter which surprised me. Will definitely be using some nitrile gloves when spraying this on.

When you get to the tent, start with the area around the door(s) in case you run out.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Good idea on the doors.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

You know I've got too much character as it is, I'm trying to shed some extra character here and there.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I wanted to test the new tent and sleeping pad I got fairly recently, and set up the tent in my backyard. I must've picked up some chiggers from the grass, because my legs got positively chewed the gently caress up. Normally I can ignore itchy bites/stings, but these were maddening for a few days. I've gotten chigger bites from hikes before, but I didn't expect to get them from camping in my backyard. Guess I need to take more precautions, even in the yard. Bleh.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Dick Burglar posted:

I wanted to test the new tent and sleeping pad I got fairly recently, and set up the tent in my backyard. I must've picked up some chiggers from the grass, because my legs got positively chewed the gently caress up. Normally I can ignore itchy bites/stings, but these were maddening for a few days. I've gotten chigger bites from hikes before, but I didn't expect to get them from camping in my backyard. Guess I need to take more precautions, even in the yard. Bleh.

Ugh. I would go scorched earth policy if I had chiggers in my yard.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I've never, or at least very rarely*, had problems with chigger bites in the yard before, that's why it's so odd. Is it possible for them to go dormant for months, or something? I used the same sleeping bag as when I camped, and maybe I didn't wash it after? I thought I did, but that's the only piece of gear I can think of that could have carried them in, so to speak. That was also... June or possibly even May, and I don't recall getting any chigger bites on that trip, just the one I did in fall 2021. There's no way they can survive that long in dormancy, can they?

* It's possible I've had the occasional chigger bite and just assumed it was a particularly nasty mosquito bite/fire ant sting or something. My memory sucks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I've known some real characters who say they have a tickborne disease yeah

Y'all got any solid recs for belts? Doesn't need to be xl or anything, I just don't know what's good.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 7, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wear one of these all the time

https://grip6.com/

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
My experience with the Amok Draumr has been fantastic so far. By far the most comfortable I've slept while camping. Getting in and out is an experience (especially when trying to get into a sleeping bag), but I got the hang of it pretty quickly.

One thing that really stood out to me was the need for something to stand on while changing, to pack my sleeping things on, etc.

I've heard a length of reflectex works pretty well as a ground sheet and I was already thinking of making pot cozies to save fuel rehydrating meals with the same material. Just thought I'd query the thread for ideas or purpose built products before I move ahead

It seems that "ground sheet" is synonymous with foot print but I'm not looking for something nearly that big. Something to lay out clothes or maybe even sit on.

Math You fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 13, 2022

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Math You posted:

It seems that "ground sheet" is synonymous with foot print but I'm not looking for something nearly that big. Something to lay out clothes or maybe even sit on.

Perhaps use a camping towel? That would do double duty at least if you are trying to cut weight. Might not be the best in wet/muddy environments tho

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Why not use something like a z-lite? You could cut it down to the size you want if the full one is too big.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

I'm looking for tent recommendations. Basic requirements are that it should (very) comfortably fit 2 and require no cords for setup. Weight is not a major concern, I care about durability, venting and waterproofness more. Options in northern Europe are limited, but I'v been eyeing the Marmot Limelight, MSR Elixir and Jack Wolfskin Skyrocket. Any opinions on those three or alternatives would be great.

To give you an idea of whst's available, you can check out this and this.

Thanks in advance!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Get a piece of tyvek. It will be super light and not take up much space. You can fold it up. The more you fold it the more flexible it should become.

Other options I like are a cheap 1 person tent footprint, a z pad, or a camp towel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

There are a lot of companies out there with something similar to this:
https://thehiddenwoodsmen.com/product/signal-panel/

I use that when I'm hammock camping. Alternatively just get a piece of Tyvek house wrap and cut it to the size you want. I did that for a long time as well.