Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

You'd really think ~~THE FREE MARKET~~ would have addressed this by now by subsidizing employee childcare like they did with healthcare, because they benefit if new parents keep working for them instead of quitting because they can't afford daycare

This would obviously also suck for the same reason employer-provided insurance sucks, it's just weird to me that there hasn't been an attempt at it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

almost like the cruelty is the point or something? unbelievable I know

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

loquacius posted:

You'd really think ~~THE FREE MARKET~~ would have addressed this by now by subsidizing employee childcare like they did with healthcare, because they benefit if new parents keep working for them instead of quitting because they can't afford daycare

This would obviously also suck for the same reason employer-provided insurance sucks, it's just weird to me that there hasn't been an attempt at it yet

depends on the employer, some build daycares for their employees then offset it

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah i've worked at two companies that had on-site childcare

a friend of mine works for a community college that offers low-cost childcare to students, which is cool, but not to employees, which is less cool

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

loquacius posted:

because Nixon is a piece of poo poo and for some reason afterwards people just stopped trying (I guess)

when our kid got sick at day care my poor spouse would get sick worse for some reason. pre kid 0 urgent care ..after kid, urgent care a lot.

these days it has to be worse. our 6yr old was sick since Friday and after 4 antigens and a PCR it’s just”some virus” that the dr said. but anything could be “the symptoms”

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
As weirdos who still mask our kid, we haven't had a single bug brought home.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My kids mask but we've still been sick for like two months. Dunno if it's surface-contact germs or just poor fit or unmasking for lunch.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

we’re all masking but my kid was sick for a few days(PCR neg) so probably lunch time is the big hole in our plan. we’re continuing to dodge bullets. my kid’s online chart is full of negative pcrs. but hey all the corsi cubes in the house helped rest of us not get sick.

let’s look at the Walgreens tracker for kids…

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ah crap that reminds me need to schedule the under 5 booster

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

brugroffil posted:

Ah crap that reminds me need to schedule the under 5 booster

There's an under 5 booster?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Well technically the third shot in the primary series

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid is getting his third covid shot next week. he's had like zero reaction to the first two, hope we get lucky the third time.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
my son is one of the longest babies in the world

ONE HUNDREDTH PERCENTILE

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my kid was off the page for a while like a 4ft tall 60 lb 4 yearold but shes come back closer to the curve thankfully

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

long son

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Both New Son and Short Son were better reads.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

My son is so fat we gotta c section apparently. Hel yeah.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Wide son

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Ah! My stout son

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Microplastics posted:

my son is one of the longest babies in the world

ONE HUNDREDTH PERCENTILE

Top tier ratattason

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
My kid had a 100th percentile head circumference which they were worried about but he grew into it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in my experience theres gotta be like a scam going where your pediatrician goes "oh yeah idk about this baby's neck looks a little crooked, let me refer you to a physical therapist for evaluation" to get a little kickback even though the kid is fine.

oh wait its called us healthcare and medical billing

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AxGrap posted:

My kid had a 100th percentile head circumference which they were worried about but he grew into it

hopefully not the 100th percentile on the way out the chute

stump collector
May 28, 2007
My kid started having nightmares or night terrors in the last two weeks. Wow this succs lmao.

Since he wakes up within an hour or two, I guess it must be night terrors since he hasnt hit REM yet. anyone experienced this?

having a hard time finding useful info on anything since the web is inundated with dumb content aggregated bullshit these days.

we’ll be reaching out to his pediatrician but i figured id ask here.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I get those and one of my two kids does too. for me the night terrors go dreaming dreaming dreaming, feeling of being followed, feeling of being surrounded with no way out, scream and wake up.

usually it’s not hard to just go back to sleep afterwards. my wife catches them before I wake up most of the time and just wakes me before I pop.

they bother my little guy though when he has them. he’s upset for quite a while afterwards. it’s getting better as he gets older and he knows it just dreams now.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

loquacius posted:

If you have a young child, for many people the choice between a single-income and dual-income household is wholly aesthetic, because the parent that earns less will be making about as much money, total, as it costs to get the childcare necessary for a dual-income household.

This is actually considered an intended policy outcome for conservatives because they know that the parent who earns less is usually the woman and so it's an economic bludgeon to restore the Natural Order back into the Family.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

stump collector posted:

My kid started having nightmares or night terrors in the last two weeks. Wow this succs lmao.

Since he wakes up within an hour or two, I guess it must be night terrors since he hasnt hit REM yet. anyone experienced this?

having a hard time finding useful info on anything since the web is inundated with dumb content aggregated bullshit these days.

we’ll be reaching out to his pediatrician but i figured id ask here.

What worked for us was waking up our son when he was having them. He happily went to sleep again afterwards

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

This is actually considered an intended policy outcome for conservatives because they know that the parent who earns less is usually the woman and so it's an economic bludgeon to restore the Natural Order back into the Family.

Man you would think they'd try to make it economically feasible to actually support a family on one income in the long term then, oh wait just remembered who we're talking about nvm

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Any recommendations for left handed preschool scissors? Ours didn't work well and broke quickly.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

loquacius posted:

Man you would think they'd try to make it economically feasible to actually support a family on one income in the long term then, oh wait just remembered who we're talking about nvm

prosperity gospel demands the poor suffer

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

loquacius posted:

Capitalism also seems to require a large pool of cheap eager labor and you don't get that when people's needs are met.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

PerniciousKnid posted:

Any recommendations for left handed preschool scissors? Ours didn't work well and broke quickly.

My daughter loves her fiskars

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I posted in here before about it, but my dad and his wife sure do love ignoring our request to keep our daughter's social media presence as private as possible. We only have a walled off Instagram account that has every privacy option strictly controlled, and we know there are situations where she is going to end up in pictures out there no matter what. However, my dad's Facebook and Instagram are both completely open and public and he threw up yet another batch of photos from this weekend and I'm officially losing my patience

I'm also a little bitter because it all comes across as ticking a box - look how great and awesome of a time we had! Only I spent half my time on my ipad betting on football and not interacting or playing with my granddaughter. We are happy to put photos they like on her page and text stuff to family members but this poo poo with ignoring a simple request is frustrating

I have estranged family members who are loving crazy and weird and poo poo and I'd prefer them not ever seeing my daughter in any form

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Calmly and rationally explain why posting it willy nilly is a bad thing and if it happens again don't let them take photos or send them photos you take. If they take em anyway tell em to gently caress off, no contact. :sever:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
You can always report photos of your kid on social and have them taken down if you want to go nuclear too.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah we don't need to go nuclear but I already messaged him about it and a reminder about why, if it happens again then there will be some serious discussions about respecting boundaries

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a funny thing my kid has recently gotten into is: he really likes watching videos of babies at the beach and telling them not to eat sand. he gets so jacked up saying "no no no, no eat sand baby". weird little child. but at least he knows not to eat sand!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

what I ended up doing to keep all the Facebook brained people in my family in line (it’s not just old people)is make a private photo share group using iCloud. however I understand not everyone is on an i device. is there something similar cross platform that is easy to use even for the non-tech minded?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

We use Tinybeans, which basically is a private invite-only mini-social-media specifically for showing people pictures of kids without showing the whole world, and it has cross-platform and web interfaces too. My mom can use it so it must be pretty easy

Won't stop grandma and grandpa from posting their own pictures wherever they please of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

sonatinas posted:

what I ended up doing to keep all the Facebook brained people in my family in line (it’s not just old people)is make a private photo share group using iCloud. however I understand not everyone is on an i device. is there something similar cross platform that is easy to use even for the non-tech minded?

I have a Google Photos album that we upload kidpics to. The grandmas love it because it gives them email updates when we post new things and they can comment on stuff. Doesn't really address the underlying issue with social media boundaries though because they can just grab the photos or take their own and throw them on their Facebook anyway.

It does open the door to my favorite dumb boomer thing my MIL has done though: gifting us physical, printed photo books composed of low-res, screengrabbed versions of our own photos. Thanks...