Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

its really a shame because, yeah, unironically i agree. all of these reboots should be jumping genres and i can't think of a single one that's done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

My partner was hella bummed when Joe Pera Talks with You got canceled.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The scenes with David Hyde Pierce are from a movie, The Perfect Host, and it's... Sort of a twisted take on Niles. Or a take on a twisted Niles, whichever.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That DICK! posted:

i watched frasier and star trek TNG back-to-back when the pandemic started, two shows i hated as a kid but figured i'd like more as an adult, and while i loved TNG i could never really come around to frasier. it wasn't bad, but it was rarely ever very funny to me. couple mild chorts an ep. it was worth it though for the episode of TNG where Frasier shows up, blew my loving mind

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOoqnhn_6I0

Wow.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

That DICK! posted:

its really a shame because, yeah, unironically i agree. all of these reboots should be jumping genres and i can't think of a single one that's done it.

Fresh Prince?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
If people like Frasier, I highly recommend watching "Boss", with Kelsey Grammer as the mayor of Chicago, houseofcarding his way through local politics while struggling with early-onset dementia.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 6, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

thrawn527 posted:

I feel like I'm missing something big that was actually good, but I'm drawing a blank. This entire era of reboots and revivals have been a loving nightmare. I have no doubt Frasier will be the same.

Twin Peaks The Return was the best television show (and movie!) of the 2010s.

The solution is clear: The Frasier reboot is masterminded by David Lynch, and Kelsey Grammar has no idea what is going on but is kept in a constant state of terror throughout.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Read After Burning posted:

My partner was hella bummed when Joe Pera Talks with You got canceled.

Your partner was correct and maybe you should share more stuff idk.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Random TV News:

New trailers for White Lotus Season 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Baflc_0XVfY

and The Idol (the new Sam Levison joint): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6g6R6x17yA

Also The Outer Range was renewed, with some shuffled some writers behind the scenes.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Random TV News:

Also The Outer Range was renewed, with some shuffled some writers behind the scenes.

Good. The Outer Range lost steam as the season progressed and ended on a fart.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Unkempt posted:

Your partner was correct and maybe you should share more stuff idk.

I liked it too, it was basically ASMR: The Show. :kiddo:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/velma-show-scooby-doo-mindy-kaling-hbo-1235394898/

yo this sounds so sick

"Velma" with Sam Richardson voicing Shaggy, Constance Wu is Daphne, Glenn Howerton is Fred, and of course Mindy Kaling is Velma

quote:

The voice acting cast also features Jane Lynch, Wanda Sykes, “Weird Al” Yankovic, Russell Peters, Melissa Fumero, Stephen Root, Gary Cole, Ming-Na Wen, Ken Leung, Cherry Jones, Frank Welker, Fortune Feimster, Yvonne Orji, Sarayu Blue, Nicole Byer, Shay Mitchell, Debby Ryan, Kulap Vilaysak and Karl-Anthony Towns.

According to the logline, the series tells “the origin story of Velma Dinkley, the unsung and underappreciated brains of the Scooby-Doo Mystery Inc. gang. This original and humorous spin unmasks the complex and colorful past of one of America’s most beloved mystery solvers.”

coming to HBO Max in 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHdtsWn7sgE

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MCU Daredevil is so much better than Netflix Daredevil.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

muscles like this! posted:

MODS?!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Solar Opposites were renewed for season 5 (season 4 hasn't come out yet)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Look like the Solar Opposites are going to syndication!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Battlestar Galactica was great, but I kinda don't count that, because it's not the same crop of recent reboots, but sure, include that if you want.

Was BSG the first time that “reboot” was used instead of remake? I feel like that’s at least the first time I heard that term get used for a remake.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Was BSG the first time that “reboot” was used instead of remake? I feel like that’s at least the first time I heard that term get used for a remake.

The first movie I remember getting the label was Superman Returns in 2006, which is a few years after bsg. The reasoning offered by the studio was that it was in continuity with the Donner films but replaced the Richard Pryor and Cannon ones with new material.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Just feels like Daredevil in two different runs. A dour and bloody Ed Brubaker inspired Daredevil, and a happy go lucky Mark Waid inspired Daredevil. But if you squint you can see how one turned into the other.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Trying to introduce someone to Patriot on Amazon Prime. It's one of those shows that I'd love to talk about but NO ONE has seen it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chairman Capone posted:

Might have been that or the SciFi channel Dune, which was about the same time.

Probably BSG.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Just feels like Daredevil in two different runs. A dour and bloody Ed Brubaker inspired Daredevil, and a happy go lucky Mark Waid inspired Daredevil. But if you squint you can see how one turned into the other.

I've never seen either but I thought Netflix DD was more heavily inspired by Miller's run?

Also isn't all this stuff canon to each other and they're working on an adaptation of Born Again? That's not a very happy go lucky work.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Trying to introduce someone to Patriot on Amazon Prime. It's one of those shows that I'd love to talk about but NO ONE has seen it.

Everyone on this thread has seen it at this point, we've been championing it for half a decade.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If Stiltman didn't appear in Daredevil than it is garbo

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Rewatching The Americans. That show is a masterclass in how much can be communicated without saying a word.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Like in sign language or Morse? Don't leave us hanging

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Like in sign language or Morse? Don't leave us hanging

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Two episodes in Mike Flanagan's new thing. It's okay, not that scary but I think Midnight Mass was the only one that approached that kind of atmosphere for me.

Wanted to comment though, that this is ostensibly set in the nineties -- complete with a vintage Sylvester McCoy Doctor Who branded pinball machine -- but it feels so inconsistently leveraged. The music choices, the occasional reference to slow Internet or films of the time, but everyone mostly talks using modern idiom and there's a meta awareness of horror, including a full on discussion about jump scares, that doesn't feel like it's of its time.

But I wasn't really around during the time, can anyone else comment?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Very happy that Solar Opposites got John Kassir to reprise the Cryptkeeper role for the Halloween special.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

But I wasn't really around during the time, can anyone else comment?

I haven't seen the show but yeah joking/discussing/awareness of horror movie tropes was absolutely a thing in the 90s, part of what made Scream such a success was that the characters were written to joke/chat around ideas that a lot of people were already doing.

It wasn't just the 90s either, I was only a kid but even so the 80s was so full of talk about standard horror movie concepts - the last girl, fake out scares, signposting upcoming deaths etc - that movies were already leaning into the campiness of it all.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Getting your carotid cut isn't at all fatal in Hannibal, huh.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Crypt Keeper getting mentions back to back in Solar Opposites and Beavis and Butt-Head this week.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Twin Peaks The Return was the best television show (and movie!) of the 2010s.

The solution is clear: The Frasier reboot is masterminded by David Lynch, and Kelsey Grammar has no idea what is going on but is kept in a constant state of terror throughout.

That tossed salad and scrambled eggs you like is coming back in style.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Looten Plunder posted:

Everyone on this thread has seen it at this point, we've been championing it for half a decade.

You're right, I meant in person. :smith:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't seen the show but yeah joking/discussing/awareness of horror movie tropes was absolutely a thing in the 90s, part of what made Scream such a success was that the characters were written to joke/chat around ideas that a lot of people were already doing.

It wasn't just the 90s either, I was only a kid but even so the 80s was so full of talk about standard horror movie concepts - the last girl, fake out scares, signposting upcoming deaths etc - that movies were already leaning into the campiness of it all.

Oh yeah, Scream is such an obvious touchstone -- I feel dumber for not having thought of it. But there's still something about how not-period the entire thing feels. Every time there's a reference to dial up or liwhatever it takes me out of the thing. Maybe it's the super digital photography, I dunno.

Every episode is structured so the first half is the ongoing plot, and the back half is given over to a story within a story -- kinda like LOST's flashback structure, where each episodic story is designed to shine a light on an individual character in the ensemble. Except, and this is what I'm enjoying, these stories provide insight into the way the characters self-narrate their own histories, give insight to the kind of fiction they like, etc. They're also, it feels, deliberately clumsy as a result, actively using mary sues, wish fulfilment, ridiculous genre shifts (the fourth episode is a black and white noir set in a spooky haunted highschool with a deliberately hamfisted message about how Gays Are People Too). Occasionally the supporting cast interrupt the story to razz on the plots too, just to emphasise the fact that these stories-within-stories are meant to be a little lovely. It's fun.

As a result, the show really isn't that scary so far, though the end of the third episode genuinely got me for a few minutes. And there's a really good supporting performance from this Irish tiktok lady (don't laugh, she's actually pretty good). Some of the other performances are pretty decent too.

It's not, like, high art or whatever. But I'm having a good time nonetheless.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Das Boo posted:

Getting your carotid cut isn't at all fatal in Hannibal, huh.

It's survivable with excellent emergency care or if you are Lawrence Fishburne

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/velma-show-scooby-doo-mindy-kaling-hbo-1235394898/

yo this sounds so sick

"Velma" with Sam Richardson voicing Shaggy, Constance Wu is Daphne, Glenn Howerton is Fred, and of course Mindy Kaling is Velma

coming to HBO Max in 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHdtsWn7sgE

She's crushing the voice. Looks fun, hopefully it's not so meta that it gets on my nerves.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
FYI if you liked Red Dwarf in the '90s, they digitized the Red Dwarf Magazine on WebArchive and you can browse the pages here: https://archive.org/details/red_dwarf_smegazine

This looks like the TVIV general chat thread so :shrug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've announced a Harley Quinn special to air next Valentine's Day appropriately titled "Harley Quinn: A Very Problematic Valentine's Day Special."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Love Stole the Day posted:

FYI if you liked Red Dwarf in the '90s, they digitized the Red Dwarf Magazine on WebArchive and you can browse the pages here: https://archive.org/details/red_dwarf_smegazine

This looks like the TVIV general chat thread so :shrug:

smegazine???