Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Soul Glo posted:

I only had it on in the background, did they address any new thermal solutions (VAPOR CHAMBER COOLING, or however they might frame it as a selling point) or make mention of improved 5g reception?

It’s gotta be difficult to be on a stage and recognize your best selling product had some Serious Issues that need fixing.

Google doesn't go into the specifics of the actual internal hardware beyond what is enabling software features and they aren't going to make a callout in a presentation like this for problems that not everyone has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The Galaxy watch can, so I would say yes.

Good luck finding what you need since it's such a nebulous metric.

There's always going to be someone complaining about battery life due to some reason so social media is going to be inconsistent. Reviews aren't going to flush it out either.

You are basically going to have to wait like 6 months for a wide aggregation of reports.

What I'm looking for is an improvement over the 6 Pro, especially on 5G. So I don't care about numbers, just the relative comparison

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

What I'm looking for is an improvement over the 6 Pro, especially on 5G. So I don't care about numbers, just the relative comparison

I'm just saying that's going to be tough and you aren't going to get that from official reviews. I've yet to see a review that does extensive 5g modem battery tests and even if they did it's still going to depend very deeply on local cell network.

Engadget has a succinct break down of the Zoom enhancements and first impressions.

quote:

Similar to before, from 1x to 2x, the 7 Pro uses the 50-MP main sensor to take short-distance shots, and then crops as needed. But from 2x to 5x, the phone fuses images from both the main and telephoto lenses to create a more detailed composite. Then between 5x and 10x switches completely over to the zoom cam, with Google using pixel binning to reduce total resolution down from 12MP. And then above 10x, the phone uses full-res crops from the telephoto cam before the phone hits its full 30x magnification. I know this is all extremely techy, but the end result is a much smoother zoom experience across and more detailed shots that look better than anything I’ve seen from practically any other phone. That said, I’m going to want to do some more testing before I make any final judgments.

Sounds like it probably puts the dual camera telephoto on the S22 Ultra on notice. I already remarked having both in hand that the 10x digital zoom from the P6P camera with the better sensor was pretty darn close to the 10x optical lower resolution sensor on the S22 Ultra. So, it seems like this may push it over the edge.

Also, I love how everyone made a big deal about how game changing the iPhone 14 Pro was doing 2x "lossless" with a crop, but Google has been doing it since last year and has now enhanced it with better HDR+ bracketing.

Another thing I didn't see mentioned in the presentation was screen brightness. Both phones are now 1000nit screens with 1500 (1400 in the case of the 7) peak brightness.

Another thing to note the ultrawide is not the same between the Pro and non-pro models. I feel that was glossed over. The Pro has a 125.8 degree FOV with autofocus (which enables macro) the non-pro retains the 114 FOV and lacks autofocus (explains why there is no macro.)

I don't like how google is creating more differences between the cameras of the Pro and non-Pro beyond the telephoto.

Also, despite leaks, the FFC is still fixed focus.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 6, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel like if they get a better modem and better thermal management it's going to be a major win, even if the rest of the specs are the same.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Do we have any indication of how long the pre-order period will be for the US if that matters)?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

We do know (or at least it's been tipped) that they are using a this year exynos modem now instead of one from 2019. The whole SoC is a smaller manufacturing process as well.

"Thermal management" is a funny topic as there are widely different expectations. Some don't want the phone to get warm, but that could be a sign of an excellent thermal system since it's managing to dump heat. Some don't want throttling, but that could cause a device to get very warm. It's all a balance.

So, do you want warm surface temperatures and consistent performance? Different scheduler behavior for more efficiency? Smaller process for less heat at the same performance? Smaller process with more performance at the same heat level?

There was a lot of "my phone gets warm" in the Pixel 6 conversations but not much "and it's affecting performance." My Z Flip 4 still gets warm too and it has a SD8+ Gen 1.

So again, this is another thing that's never going to go away in conversations since it's become embedded in social media. If the phone is ever slightly above ambient, the Pixel is going to have a thermal management problem because that's the way things go now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

Do we have any indication of how long the pre-order period will be for the US if that matters)?

Probably until the launch date which appears to be Oct 13th.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Holy crap. Google are finally selling Pixel phones in Denmark (and I would imagine in the other Nordic countries as well)

Edit: No watch though, and no message about throwing a pair of Pixel Buds Pro at your when ordering a Pro.
Oh well, at least I can finally upgrade my 2XL and have local service in case it needs repair, instead of sending it to Germany and using a remailer company.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 6, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Only £270 for the Pixel 6 as a trade in on the UK Google Store. The cheap bastards.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tiny.

https://twitter.com/captain2phones/status/1578049860728659970?s=61&t=WPhtrYCJ9H951iHDp0RgNw

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ugh I wish there was a 45mm+ version. It's way too small for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's funny how a day after I went on my rant about how creators don't seem to go all in on the Apple ecosystem, this video comes out that actually addresses it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMpe_hqSQUs

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i was wondering why this thread suddenly shot up 100 posts over night, but it seems like it's cause google had their pixel 7 conference/presentation

anything interesting come out of it?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Mr Interweb posted:

i was wondering why this thread suddenly shot up 100 posts over night, but it seems like it's cause google had their pixel 7 conference/presentation

anything interesting come out of it?

The tablet and watch are coming out

I think the included VPN is neat on the phone, and the new sharpening features on blurry photos. But outside of a few new features, pretty much everything was known going in.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Honestly I am so stoked for the tablet/docking station thing. It looks so useful and interesting.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, I was pretty underwhelmed by the Pixel Watch. I really like the design, but that battery is astonishingly weak. Less than 24h means sleep tracking is pretty much out. I appreciate that it can charge quickly, but at least a couple of days would have been nice.

Since I'm not averse to chonk on my wrist (currently daily drive with a 45mm Shinola chrono), I went ahead and ordered a GWatch 5 Pro, which should roll for at least 2 days at a time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pixel 7/7 Pro launch highlights/changes

Both Phones Hardware
New Tensor G2 with updated TPU
Brighter Screens (1000 nits with 1500 or 1400 peak nits)
Updated Design Language
More recycled material

Pixel 7 specific hardware
Updated selfie camera to match the 6 pro and 7 pro
Smaller 6.1" screen with slimmer bezels

Pixel 7 Pro specific hardware
Updated 5x optical telephoto
Updated Ultrawide with wider FOV and autofocus to enable macro mode
20% flatter front glass

Tensor G2 Enabled Features
Night Sight capture time is halved compared to first gen tensor, lessening the chance of motion blur
Blur reduction via merging of Wide and Ultrawide is enhanced and can include more than just the face
Blur reduction of old photos via Google Photos (this one I feel is dubious since why can't this be done server side for all Google Photo users?)
2x lossless zoom (crop) on main camera with HDR+ bracketing for denoising
2x-4.9x multicamera merge to enhance zoom before optical zoom range starts (Pro only)
5x-10x Zoom ranges use pixel binning with digital superzoom (Pro only)
10x-30x uses crop with HDR+ bracketing on full sensor resolution (Pro only)
Clear Calling (realtime background noise reduction of the incoming call)
Translation speed improvements
Face Unlock

Other
Smaller fab process should lead to better power efficiency and it's been reported by not confirmed that the devices are using a much newer exynos modem

In all, an iterative, but meaningful update to the line. It's interesting how they appear to be trying to differentiate the Pro even more from the Non-Pro with the ultrawide changes.

AlexDeGruven posted:

I went ahead and ordered a GWatch 5 Pro, which should roll for at least 2 days at a time.

Three is actually what I'm seeing for the most part. If I plunk it on the charger only when I'm showering, it goes a week without having to do a full charge.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Amazon and Best Buy are both offering $200 gift cards with Pixel 7 Pro, and $100 gift cards for Pixel 7 orders.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

THF13 posted:

Amazon and Best Buy are both offering $200 gift cards with Pixel 7 Pro, and $100 gift cards for Pixel 7 orders.

So they are basically matching the google store offer, just with money that can be spent on more stuff. Good option if you aren't planning on picking up the watch.

Man, I was a year too early, looking back at some of the stuff I posted about the 6 pro came to pass with the 7 pro.

bull3964 posted:

The newest Google camera app in the 12 Beta 3 mentions "ultratele". Given that the camera specs of the Pixel 6 XL (Pro?) is looking like a 48 mp 5x optical periscope zoom, I suspect they are going to iterate on Super Res Zoom and crop on that sensor to get a very high zoom value that, while not quite as good as optical in the same range, will do pretty drat good in adequate light.

bull3964 posted:

48mp telephoto has me excited with super res zoom.

The sensor can pixel bin at full resolution for the 5x zoom (or whatever the native optical of the periscope is.) Then it can use super res zoom on a cropped sensor with 1:1 pixels to achieve a higher zoom level with little loss of quality in good light.

bull3964 posted:

One thing is I wouldn't be quick to discount the 4x zoom on the Pixel 6 pro. It is a high MP sensor (but not stupidly high) which means it will probably snap both binned photos and non-binned photos would would give it a LOT of latitude for digital zoom in favorable light conditions to the point where it may not be far off the 10x zoom that the S21 ultra can do at 10mp. It would be interesting to see what they could do with super res zoom snapping a picture with the telephoto in both binned full sensor mode combined with a cropped native pixel mode to obtain higher zoom levels.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

AlexDeGruven posted:

So, I was pretty underwhelmed by the Pixel Watch. I really like the design, but that battery is astonishingly weak. Less than 24h means sleep tracking is pretty much out. I appreciate that it can charge quickly, but at least a couple of days would have been nice.

Since I'm not averse to chonk on my wrist (currently daily drive with a 45mm Shinola chrono), I went ahead and ordered a GWatch 5 Pro, which should roll for at least 2 days at a time.

Isn't the battery quoted at 24hr with nonstop (by the second) HR monitoring enabled? If so, I'm assuming it'll be much longer if you make it less frequent- like the defaults on the Apple and Galaxy watches.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My three days with the GW5 Pro is with continuous heart rate and AoD on.

That's the thing that irks me the most about the Pixel Watch. Had they included a larger case option they could have just thrown battery at it and it would have been really nice. Tiny watch, tiny battery.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

Three is actually what I'm seeing for the most part. If I plunk it on the charger only when I'm showering, it goes a week without having to do a full charge.

This is exactly my use case, so that's good to know.

I loved my Moto360, but the battery sucked so I had to charge it every day.

Android Wear didn't do sleep tracking at the time, but it still would have been nice to have more than a day at a time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My Garmin Venu 2 lasts 9 days with full-time HR and sleep SpO2 tracking lol

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Are there store links for the new tablet and its dock?

vvvvvv my p4xl doesn't look ancient any longer, thanks

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 6, 2022

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
$100 trade in for a Pixel 2 that I keep in a drawer. Snap purchased a 7 based on what they showed off today, first new phone for me in a very long time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

They didn't cover the security of the face unlock at all and whether you could unlock it by simply holding up a picture of someone to the front facing camera (which Apple defeats by having the big cutout for depth sensors to distinguish photos from actual faces) so I assume it'll be super insecure.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

My Garmin Venu 2 lasts 9 days with full-time HR and sleep SpO2 tracking lol

Cortex M4, 256mb of RAM, and a very specialized OS will do that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

They didn't cover the security of the face unlock at all and whether you could unlock it by simply holding up a picture of someone to the front facing camera (which Apple defeats by having the big cutout for depth sensors to distinguish photos from actual faces) so I assume it'll be super insecure.

It's the convenience face unlock that OnePlus and Samsung have had that people have been screaming for Google to bring back. It's not a high security biometric (it can't be used for payments for example) just like the face unlocks in those phones.

It can't be a depth mapping secure biometric without more sensors and the cutouts to house them.

Enable it or don't enable it. People asked for it so Google put it in.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Cortex M4, 256mb of RAM, and a very specialized OS will do that.

For sure. I am a big fan of Garmin devices and their ecosystem and the only thing that could have made me switch to a Pixel Watch would have been a 45mm+ model and multi day battery life. Oh well, rip. It's still very slick!

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

THF13 posted:

It seems like the Best Buy trade in is less generous though (doesn't even list a Pixel 3 at all). I can't find Amazon's trade in information, but I assume they do trade ins?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I have the pixel 6 pro and I'll probably get the 7 pro.

Their first party cases seriously suck now, I bet the fabric ones from the 5 and before would last 5 years, they were good.

Currently posting from inside a metal building and crossing my fingers the new modem helps with service.

I use night sight a lot and twice as fast sounds cool.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just ordered the bellroy case with the phone since that's the one I ultimately settled on last year to blend protection with slimness.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

As bull said, it's really there for convenience. Whether it can be fooled by a picture of you or not is irrelevant. Let's say it CAN be fooled by a picture of you, what does that mean in terms of real risk to the average person?

Most regular people are looking to secure their phones in the event it is stolen, usually because it was left somewhere like a bar, movie theater, etc. Whoever steals your phone in that scenario isn't going to go looking for a picture of you in order to unlock it. If you are worried of a jealous significant other using it to get into your phone then you should really be evaluating your choice in partners (or your behavior towards them) rather than what security you use on your phone. At the end of the day they can simply use your fingerprint as you sleep to get into your phone.

If the contents of your phone are of interest to external agents (you are a head of state, corporate exec, vip, Elon Musk, etc.) You should not be using any kind of biometric security at all. Likewise if your concern is the police or other government enforcement agency getting access. Despite what you may believe about law and order, living in a free country, or your rights, it won't matter. If police or border patrol or whoever want to get into your phone and it is locked with biometrics they will force you to unlock it and nothing will happen to them. You may yell and scream and threaten to sue all you want but there's nothing stopping a couple of human mountains in cop uniforms from grabbing your arm and forcing your thumb into the reader. They could break your thumb in the struggle and still nothing will happen to them, won't even make the news. So if any of this applies to you, don't use biometrics at all.

At the end of the day, the risk vs convenience of face unlock is absolutely worth it for 99% of users, more so when things like payments, banking, and other more sensitive data are still protected behind more secure biometrics and/or passwords.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Nitrousoxide posted:

pictures don't move, and google has been using lots of ML tricks to get depth info from a single lens so they could definitely make it more secure if they wanted. i'm sure we will find out soon how easily it can be fooled

bull3964 posted:

I just ordered the bellroy case with the phone since that's the one I ultimately settled on last year to blend protection with slimness.
i got the slimmest case of all: one made of air molecules

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-tensor-g2-changes/

Looks like G2 changes a bit more than at first glance. Also, it seems everyone missed that the middle cores went from A76 to A78.

Huge changes in GPU.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Looks like I'll be getting a 7 if the reviews are good. Should be more efficient than the 6 on the smaller process, with a better GPU and a brighter screen as well. Good enough!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What’s the word on software update length? I’d like to upgrade my mom from her 3aXL since it is no longer suported, and I wanted to put her on iPhone (mostly because I have one and I’d love to not have to worry about an upgrade for a long rear end time) but she is insistent on staying on Pixel. I’d be willing to get her a 7 if it’ll be supported for a while

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What’s the word on software update length? I’d like to upgrade my mom from her 3aXL since it is no longer suported, and I wanted to put her on iPhone (mostly because I have one and I’d love to not have to worry about an upgrade for a long rear end time) but she is insistent on staying on Pixel. I’d be willing to get her a 7 if it’ll be supported for a while

5 years of security, at least

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Welp, since my Pixel 4XL has been having battery connection issues that cause it to die multiple times a day and it just got it's final security update, I went ahead and pre-ordered a P7 Pro. Really happy it has a version of face unlock, even if it's not overly secure (I agree with everything Desk Lamp said). I order through verizon and they had a deal where you could get a Pixel Watch for $5/mo, which I went for cause gently caress it why not. I actually like that it's on the smaller side (hell, the watch I'm currently wearing is 38mm) and I'll mostly wear it while I'm at work, so I don't care that the battery life is less than stellar. That said, I didn't see any mention of the watch on my order confirmation, so I'm not actually sure if it got added or not. If not, whatever, I don't care enough to buy one, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's probably just as well that I won't be in a financial position to buy a new phone for at least a month or so (and at that point waiting for Black Friday will probably make the most sense) so I don't have to agonize over pulling the trigger on a pre-order.