Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jabor posted:

The only thing an entry-level programming job requires is that you're able to program. You can break into the field without any qualification at all (though it can be difficult since you'll generally have to prove that you can program somehow). If you're confident in your ability to, right now, write a program that does what you want it to, there's no reason you can't start scoping out entry-level jobs right now.

If you're not yet confident in your ability to write a program - make sure the courses you're taking are going to fill that gap. Coding boot camps can do this with 12 weeks of focused effort, so it's definitely possible with a year of part-time effort as long as you're putting that effort in the right direction.

heck the danish state has been taking in people with no programming skill and training them for a while now (as a way of filling their ranks since they are unable or unwilling to pay market rate)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tosk posted:

First post in YOSPOS, this seemed like a good thread to look for advice. Preface, I'm not in the US, I'm in South America, so I'm just looking for general tips rather than any regional specifics

I'm fairly young by SA standards and I did my undergrad in Biology. I've always been interested in programming so I did a few minor funded data science projects, learned R etc. Now I'm doing programming and math courses from a computer engineering degree to actually develop marketable abilities. I'm working now so I've only done a year or so of credits towards this, to give an idea.

I realized as I was investigating bioinformatics postgrads that tech world just has way better quality of life where I am than academia (and everywhere else, but especially outside the first world) and I want to make the switch. I'm thinking of still doing the MSc in Bioinformatics, just to have the title and because I can pretty much fill up the coursework with the engineering stuff I'm doing now.

Right now I have a job that's fine and allows me to continue to study a bit on the side, but I want out asap. A year from now, I want to be working in any kind of entry level computer science job that will start helping me build a resume in the field. Am I underreaching given I already have a degree, overreaching because I will need to know way more than I will with ~2 years of engineering courses, or does it seem like a reasonable goal?

This is just a general appeal for advice from the life experience of people in yospos, as I feel like I basically have no perspective about whether I'm going about this the right way

I can't not answer in the context of the USA because it is all I know and it is very important. So this assumes you're looking at places with a USA culture of hiring, regardless of where they are.

If your goal is to write code and dont care what its on, you don't need an additional degree. In fact it is a waste of time compared to self study when we're talking about making web apps, gluing APIs, iOS games, devops, etc. If your goal is to work on some hard science poo poo, the MS is the wrong MS and won't help much. E.G. cyber-physical systems and you're writing embedded code with strict performance requirements.

An M.S. in bioinformatics is below a C.S. degree. Use your time to do projects that demonstrate your capabilities. Bonus points if you can make a tiny amount of money off one of those projects. If someone had a Latam bio degree and a CRUD app that earned $500/mo they'd be the top of pile candidate for entry level, 100%.

Here's a post I did that I think addresses your question which is "how are degrees viewed in tech world hiring?"

CarForumPoster posted:

I was very curious what the breakdown was since the advice I am leaning toward with strawberrymoose with coding is that he'd better have some good projects to show off because he's gonna have a tough go at coding jobs.

~40% were Indian developers with hilariously bullshit resumes that didnt provide a GitHub despite me saying it was the one hard qualification requirement in bold and including it as a required question to apply.

Of the remaining ~60% I went through and wrote their degrees. I may have missed a couple. I separated degrees into the tier I view them in for entry-level developers. Bold are the ones I interviewed or I at least wrote some favorable notes on. Ugrad means they're currently in undergrad, otherwise they'd graduated. The places in parenthesis are where their undergrad was from.

FWIW getting a USA job in LATAM, I've had good experiences hiring people who were raised in Latam and moved to USA for work and I think that is pretty common in my state. I hear a lot of good experience working with Latam based developers and there are some startups focused on getting Latam workers USA tech jobs.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Speaking from a US perspective: An MS in bioinformatics isn't great preparation for a job outside of bioinformatics, but if you want to pursue work in that field it's better than most of your other choices. It's also easier to move around between related career paths with some experience than it is to make a switch for your first job. If you think you can handle a few years doing comp bio, go for that and then reevaluate.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Degrees absolutely make a big impact when doing international visas for knowledge workers. Having a science MS is good; as is a CS BS (countries have carveouts for different skills). I know multiple high-skill people who had MAGMA offers who ended up in Vancouver or Toronto because they couldn’t get a US work visa.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Thank you to everyone for your advice.

I live in SA but I'm a US citizen so if I wanted to return there in the future I wouldn't require a visa, but that's nonetheless great to know.

I wouldn't mind working in bioinformatics, especially in industry, but I am mostly considering it as a faster option to an advanced degree than actually going for a second bachelor's in engineering. Given the advice I'm receiving though, I am more inclined to focus on CE until getting a job and then evaluating if it's worth finishing.

I would like to eventually move beyond web apps, APIs, etc because I glimpsed more interesting, more data sciencey problems in Biology, but anything is fine in the meantime. I figure that I can start wherever and eventually I'll figure out what I'm more specifically interested in.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Quote is not edit, sorry. :(

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you are a us citizen you can just up and ignore the existence of south america when you apply to places the delta in cash and working conditions is large

they do not actually hire bioinformatics peeps for the hard problems in biology ime, they hire straight cs peeps mostly and teach em biology or they hire straight bio peeps and teach em computers

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

At least in the US if you want to do data science in biological contexts having a relevant degree is fairly important.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you are a us citizen you can just up and ignore the existence of south america when you apply to places the delta in cash and working conditions is large

they do not actually hire bioinformatics peeps for the hard problems in biology ime, they hire straight cs peeps mostly and teach em biology.

Do you mean look for remote work at a US job from here, or just move back? I definitely plan on leaving South America because pay/conditions are better elsewhere, but I felt like it would probably go: study and start working in CS here for a few years to develop a resume, apply to jobs elsewhere

Your second sentence is pretty much the impression I got as I finished my degree in Biology. The interesting problems to me were mostly more computational and math-oriented than undergrad bio prepares you for, hence why I've started doing CE courses.

In the future, it would be cool if I could use the Bio degree to make my way to more interesting problems because yes I find them interesting, but if I never spend another hour of my life playing with sequence data, I'll still survive. :P

Thanks again everyone, the perspective from people farther along and in other places is very helpful

Tosk fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 5, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
remote work used to be for peeps with at least 3-5 years of experience only. obviously the roni changed this completely, but some assholes are militating changing it back. for really truly inexperienced peeps they kind of have a point, you do learn poo poo at the office fairly faster if everyone else is at the office and you can ask questions in person

the web app blub pays better than the hard bio stuff. in my sisters buddys case literally 3x better lol

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 5, 2022

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tosk posted:

study and start working in CS here for a few years to develop a resume, apply to jobs elsewhere

this is probably underestimating yourself pretty heavily, no matter the plan i think you can go at it a lot quicker than this.

a good cs education is good, but like pretty much all education it is at least 50% about shaping people who are novices at seeking out and absorbing the right kind of information (e.g. kids).

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

getting real tired of these coding interviews where they ask you to code up a feature, you do it, and then you get a rejection because they want stronger coding skills.

much better than algo poo poo but uh don't tell me if you get this done you're good and then i get it done i'm not good.

figured this is the place to discuss this.
this has happened to me 3 times now. not sure what other people are doing during to get offers if you have any insight. please help.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

KidDynamite posted:

this has happened to me 3 times now. not sure what other people are doing during to get offers if you have any insight. please help.

9 times out of 10 its not your coding skills but something different and completely out of your hands

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

my personal feeling is that it's just failing to satisfy the interviewer's personal turbonerd peeve. my personal failures include:
1. fumble too much in the online coding thing because it's not your regular ide
2. you were told to explain your thinking, then you spend too much time talking about your thought process and whoops no time to super-optimize that problem (unless you already did in leetcode and can solve it in your sleep)
3. you were expected to write production quality code but the interviewer was like "lets start simple and make it more detailed later"
4. some other candidate was a code wizard and made you look like a nobody

imo i consider these cases bullets dodged - i.e. probably you would not have liked working there anyway

disclaimer i never got a job when the process included a whiteboard coding exercise

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KidDynamite posted:

post the assignment and code and we'll review your PR

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

post the assignment and code and we'll review your PR

https://pastebin.com/6zKbzbvC

reqs are down at the bottom. interviewer said do 2-4 write it to get it done and don't use the architecture i discussed during system design round. stopped me when i finished 4 and asked about how i would make it fit said architecture and test.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sez its locked?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

oh my bad pw is lljk

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
did they say anything specific beyond "stronger coding skills"

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

raminasi posted:

did they say anything specific beyond "stronger coding skills"

Nope. They mentioned I did well on the debugging round, then went on to the sorry no detailed feedback, keep in touch for future roles portion of the rejection.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i don't know swift so i can't rule out any glaring problems with your code but remember that at ninety percent of these companies the candidate evaluation process is completely unscientific, the training is nonexistent, and the interviewer corps has no incentive other than to make themselves feel smart. statistically speaking, i think that this is probably correct:

4lokos basilisk posted:

my personal feeling is that it's just failing to satisfy the interviewer's personal turbonerd peeve. my personal failures include:
1. fumble too much in the online coding thing because it's not your regular ide
2. you were told to explain your thinking, then you spend too much time talking about your thought process and whoops no time to super-optimize that problem (unless you already did in leetcode and can solve it in your sleep)
3. you were expected to write production quality code but the interviewer was like "lets start simple and make it more detailed later"
4. some other candidate was a code wizard and made you look like a nobody

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

no problem with this particular kid but I don't think I have what it takes to work in MANGA techland if it requires posting like this https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1577432200408367104?s=19

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it doesnt lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

distortion park posted:

no problem with this particular kid but I don't think I have what it takes to work in MANGA techland if it requires posting like this https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1577432200408367104?s=19

marketing intern?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

linkedintern

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
as a student and intern, whenever i see someone in my age group post like that on the linky i block them

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i strongly recommend never, ever posting to linkedin. if you need to use its communication features, they should be 1:1 correspondence through the messaging function

unless you're a recruiter or a hiring manager doing recruiter-type stuff. in that case go nuts

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

advertising a trade show booth, webinar, new product launch and so forth seems reasonable. so long as it’s something you’re actually directly involved with, the people you’ve worked with before in your network might actually be interested. for a couple seconds anyway

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
the other day i had an introductory interview. they liked my devops experience even though it is a software engineering role and i am somewhere between a junior and standard engineer experience wise. at one point they asked me what my experience / understanding is with mvc and frameworks, so i told them about some projects but that it was all in college and free time tinkering. at the end the manager gave me an honest review of his thoughts which was refreshing. he mentioned that the technical is one hour and that he is confident in my ability to handle the infrastructure part, but thought my lack of mvc experience might mean i would struggle with the “modeling data” section. what do they mean by this and what should i study for the technical? ive played around making burp and fart apps with rails and django, and had to write mvc stuff from scratch so are they just referring to abstracting things into a model with inheritance if needed, or is it something more high falutin?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i havent heard "mvc" used non-pejoratively in probably 8 years so you can probably relax

just work a few tutorials for whatever framework they use and try to remember where you're supposed to put the different parts of the system

if they haven't told you the framework or expect you to write your own mv&c its probably going to be a shitshow that noone could pass, not even a carbon copy of the hiring manager

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
just name things the right way

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Corla Plankun posted:

i havent heard "mvc" used non-pejoratively in probably 8 years so you can probably relax

just work a few tutorials for whatever framework they use and try to remember where you're supposed to put the different parts of the system

if they haven't told you the framework or expect you to write your own mv&c its probably going to be a shitshow that noone could pass, not even a carbon copy of the hiring manager

they mentioned that they use rails but i have mostly used python instead of ruby. the prompt for the technical is that i can use any language i want so ill do some rails videos but use python if theyre just asking me to write logical classes. thanks for the help.

barkbell posted:

just name things the right way

poo poo

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Corla Plankun posted:

What is MVVM, really? Does anyone truly know?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

there's more and better python jobs so you should probably not sweat this at all if you fail to get a ruby job in 2022, just get that good good interview practice

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

KidDynamite posted:

https://pastebin.com/6zKbzbvC

reqs are down at the bottom. interviewer said do 2-4 write it to get it done and don't use the architecture i discussed during system design round. stopped me when i finished 4 and asked about how i would make it fit said architecture and test.

i only took a quick glance at it, but i was kinda twigged by all your class properties and ui elements being public vars instead of private lets (where possible, obviously some of them needed to be vars).

also in the urlsession i think [unowned self] is the fotm for closures instead of weak, but i couldn't swear to that.

*edit*

i was getting ready for dinner when i looked at this and didn't give it a proper look, i've got some questions if you wanna pm or something. better still if you can get pokeyman to look at it.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 7, 2022

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

today i had my first technical for a development job. turns out i spent all my time studying the wrong things. they had me do data parsing for a while, and while i did OK, it took some time to get into the swing of it again. probably the hardest part was thinking about the problem while having a conversation with the interviewer at the same time. it was good experience but i dont expect a call back on this one

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

thats a real good attitude and its gonna serve you well. one practice interview in the bank, ezpz

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Bored Online posted:

today i had my first technical for a development job. turns out i spent all my time studying the wrong things. they had me do data parsing for a while, and while i did OK, it took some time to get into the swing of it again. probably the hardest part was thinking about the problem while having a conversation with the interviewer at the same time. it was good experience but i dont expect a call back on this one

interview yields vary from about 5% to 50%. 50% is more like "i did international computing olympiad when i was 15" sorta peeps so you should just shove more stuff onto the pipeline

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

yeah i will get back at it with the applications. this interview challenge was a lot like solving an aoc problem so ill start running some of those as part of my prep work, and maybe double down on a framework i actually care to learn to beef up the resume. thanks for the comments and guidance. i didnt really have a whole lot to say except that i passed a milestone with this first swe interview and sometimes you just gotta post post post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bored Online posted:

yeah i will get back at it with the applications. this interview challenge was a lot like solving an aoc problem so ill start running some of those as part of my prep work, and maybe double down on a framework i actually care to learn to beef up the resume. thanks for the comments and guidance. i didnt really have a whole lot to say except that i passed a milestone with this first swe interview and sometimes you just gotta post post post

nice! imo those sorts of interviews are actually better than the leetcode style algorithm ones. While parsing some data isn't exactly what most people do day to day, it's much closer than implementing a linked list or w/e. my previous place had one that involved reading from a properly formatted CSV - you could use a library though so it was pretty easy.