Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

BabyRyoga posted:

You essentially have to ignore tanks completely and dive the backline.

Heaven forbid somebody actually shoot at a Mercy for once in their miserable lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Inept posted:

Riot uses AWS, Apex uses GCP. This isn't uncommon for large games.

I wouldn't be surprised if Blizzard already has invested a lot in their own hosting/infrastructure as they've had extremely popular online multiplayer games since the late 90s before cloud was really a viable option. For the most part I'm guessing this is a significant net benefit to Blizzard in terms of long term operating costs, and that they're willing to put up with some launch day woes to continue using the infrastructure they've built. I expect they even do have some ability to dynamically increase/decrease capacity (to a point) and some ability to move server resources between games depending on what is popular at the moment, though clearly not enough to fully handle launch day spikes.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I haven't played Overwatch since 2017 I think, and I've tried booting up OW2 a few times and so far have not yet been able to get past the login que.

e: I see some things are transferring over from OW1. If I hadn't logged into my OW account since 2017 will stuff still transfer over?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I haven't played Overwatch since 2017 I think, and I've tried booting up OW2 a few times and so far have not yet been able to get past the login que.

e: I see some things are transferring over from OW1. If I hadn't logged into my OW account since 2017 will stuff still transfer over?

Change your region to Asia on the launcher and you'll get right in (matchmaking will put you in the correct local servers)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BabyRyoga posted:

Kiriko's japanese accent is fine. But her white accent is too white. I guess? I dunno, something just feels way off.
have you literally never met a second-generation immigrant? jesus, goons.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I'm loving junker queens awful accent. If you told me the voice actor was a seppo I'd believe you but she's australian. I desperately hope that there's a lore dump where it turns out JQ is from burbank or something and is just desperately affecting the accent
that is just how australian “people” sound, op

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

TenementFunster posted:

have you literally never met a second-generation immigrant? jesus, goons.

You're right, but also she's supposed to have been born and lived her entire life in Japan.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Honestly when I first saw Kiriko i thought it was a Tracer skin...

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

BabyRyoga posted:

Well, I mean, lack of solo-carry potential in any team-based game is always frustrating, right? It just feels like the DPS role has lost a lot of solo-carry potential, whereas the other roles have gained it.

Dps/tanks/healers can still solo carry. You just have to be literally better than others.
Git gud.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I've been carried by multiple genjis so far. That ult is wild right now. Dash combo aint bad either.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

You're right, but also she's supposed to have been born and lived her entire life in Japan.
she’s a fictional character! millions upon millions of real people speak multiple languages without a noticeable accent regardless of their place of birth. someone in middle age should not find this remarkable.

you know blizzard had a meeting about the potential downsides of speaking unaccented american english vs. asking a voice actor to Do A Full Metal Jacket

also butthurt that in JP version of OW2, Kiriko is voiced by Fairouz Ai and i can’t pick that as an option.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

TenementFunster posted:

she’s a fictional character! millions upon millions of real people speak multiple languages without a noticeable accent regardless of their place of birth. someone in middle age should not find this remarkable.

you know blizzard had a meeting about the potential downsides of speaking unaccented american english vs. asking a voice actor to Do A Full Metal Jacket

also butthurt that in JP version of OW2, Kiriko is voiced by Fairouz Ai and i can’t pick that as an option.

Someone tell Sally Amaki (the voice actor) she sounds too white! I'm sure she'll appreciate that feedback.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

headcase posted:

I've been carried by multiple genjis so far. That ult is wild right now. Dash combo aint bad either.

Sojourn is great at carrying too. Railgun bonanza can wipe the whole team one headshot at a time.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

whalestory posted:

Honestly when I first saw Kiriko i thought it was a Tracer skin...
it took me a dozen rounds to realize Junker Queen was a new character and not just an Avavar/Crossfit skin for Mercy

DrBox posted:

Someone tell Sally Amaki (the voice actor) she sounds too white! I'm sure she'll appreciate that feedback.
you know the voice director was SO close to asking Sally to “uh, you know…” after her first take but blizzard was already having a tough news week

i really wanna hear Fairouz Ai’s english lines tho. she rules.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 6, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

i really wanna hear Fairouz Ai’s english lines tho. she rules.

she's jolyne's VA, right? i'm sure she nails it, she always brings a huge amount of energy in

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
can yyou skip the Play of the Game

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I miss the "Torb loving around nowhere near the match while his turret shreds everyone" potgs

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Countblanc posted:

it is necessary to watch the entire thing to show respect to your fellow players for their game-winning "shooting a gun at two people" play

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

TenementFunster posted:

Then why'd you bring up her fictional background as reasoning? Languages are hard, people hang on to their accents even if they grew up speaking the same language. I think her voice is cool, but it is remarkable for someone to live their entire life in one country and to speak the language of another without a hint of an accent. Remarkable but not worth making a big deal over.

Roadhog though, why the gently caress does Roadhog sound American?

verbal enema posted:

I miss the "Torb loving around nowhere near the match while his turret shreds everyone" potgs
Had an incredible POTG in a recent match that was Ashe immediately getting headshot and lying dead on the ground while Bob killed people in the distance.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Countblanc posted:

You can leave game and requeue as soon as you hear the announcer say victory or defeat, but you'll miss out on that sweet battle pass progression bar dopamine hit. Don't you want to see numbers go up!?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Vermain posted:

she's jolyne's VA, right? i'm sure she nails it, she always brings a huge amount of energy in
yes. she rules and we should get to pick which VA we hear for each character. The Lost Otaku demand subs not dubs, blizzard!

it is remarkable for someone to live their entire life in one country and to speak the language of another without a hint of an accent.
disagree. it is absolutely weird to complain that a real woman speaks two languages too well for delicate goon sensibilities.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Had an incredible POTG in a recent match that was Ashe immediately getting headshot and lying dead on the ground while Bob killed people in the distance.

Yessss

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vermain posted:

it is necessary to watch the entire thing to show respect to your fellow players for their game-winning "shooting a gun at two people" play

i have no respect for overwatch players, myself included

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PantsBandit posted:

Played quite a bit of my girl Pharah the last couple days. Good news, people still don't know how to look up!

Overwatch players pay even the slightest bit of attention to whatever is not directly in front of you challenge (IMPOSSIBLE)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got into a game and got yelled at for playing lucio and was called a troll.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Anyone else just get booted out, had an update apply, and now get repeated "sorry can't log you in" messages?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Got into a game and got yelled at for playing lucio and was called a troll.

Just hide chat and mute voice. Makes the game infinitely more enjoyable, and you'll smile knowing anyone malding at you if you're not playing well or won't swap are just shouting into the abyss.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Inept posted:

is blizzard's official line still "there's a ddos" and not "we aren't using a cloud provider and can't scale our poo poo"

quote:

UPDATE: Today we’ve patched a server that is critical to the login experience, this change has increased login reliability. Beyond queues, we’re in progress with another server update that will reduce the occurrences of players being disconnected once they’re already in game.
We’re also adding nodes to ease the pressure of our player database being overloaded. Adding nodes requires replication of data, which inherently adds more pressure to an already stressed system, so we’re doing it slowly to not cause any further disruption.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Rebus posted:

Anyone else just get booted out, had an update apply, and now get repeated "sorry can't log you in" messages?

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1578131418953252891

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Kind of them to put out an in-game message

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Rebus posted:

They put upa notice about 15 minutes ago about an emergency update, should be back up within an hour (Blizzard Time).

I had just gotten through the queue for the first time and started a game. :(

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Rebus posted:

Nah, but I was idle at the main menu the past hour mere seconds before I checked this thr--MOTHERFUCKER!!! [Exits and re-launches] Oh, there's a banner that says they'll be shutting down and doing maintenance from 15:00-16:00 PDT.

Well the important part is that it took me ~45 minutes to go from launch to main menu earlier today. Guess I'll watch the evening news.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Can’t have long prime time queues if the servers are down at prime time 👨‍🔬

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

I've still not got round to changing my graphics settings for fear of watching the login countdown again...

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Rebus posted:

I've still not got round to changing my graphics settings for fear of watching the login countdown again...

Probably has a lower chance of requiring a restart than randomly getting kicked mid-game and having to restart the client to login.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Andrigaar posted:

Probably has a lower chance of requiring a restart than randomly getting kicked mid-game and having to restart the client to login.

Some changes require a client restart...

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Rebus posted:

Some changes require a client restart...

Only to take effect. The game doesn't restart itself when you click "apply". So unless it's a setting that's preventing you from playing at all, you'll get to it later.

Now shoo off with your ellipses.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

Just hide chat and mute voice. Makes the game infinitely more enjoyable, and you'll smile knowing anyone malding at you if you're not playing well or won't swap are just shouting into the abyss.

Yeah turn off voice chat in the options (persists), and shift ctrl C every time the client starts. Put on an album/playlist.

If you do this every time you play you're not even throwing because you'll just end up where you end up, in terms of ranked play.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Good news everyone, they're patching out the DDOS attack

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Here's a pretty good video that goes over every change from OW1 to OW2 to watch while the game is down (WHILE YOU ALSO GO OUTSIDE AND GET SOME FRESH AIR NERDS). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgczDOhCqjI

There are even nerfs I didn't realize (like tracer's damage going down).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Bug Fixes:
- Based on US player demands, Kiriko now sounds more, well, you know…
- Zaraya palette-swapped to Ukrainian