Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

sorry to the thread for the sweep picking poo poo and pretentiousness

my life sucks right now, and i'm very stressed and kinda going through it. browsed the forums at the wrong time

the thread needs gasoline sometimes, i appreciate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Major Operation posted:

It might have something to do with circuit diagrams mostly being drawn from left to right, leading to the circuit board layouts tending towards that design as well (at least in the early days). Circuit boards are installed through the bottom of the pedal, and then the pedal gets flipped over, changing the circuit flow back to right to left.

No evidence on this one, just an idea I've had about it before.

This makes the most sense to me. Engineers still don't give a gently caress about end user accessibility

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

luchadornado posted:

Is there a reason pedals aren't left to right? It's kind of maddening to me for some reason.
I'm pretty sure it's that most guitar players are right handed, so the cable comes out of the guitar on the right side, and having pedal inputs on the left would mean the cable getting in the way as it snakes in front of you. Some of the early pedals were set up with input on the left and output on the right (ex: fuzz face) or input on left, output on the back (ex: Maestro FZ-1), but I'm not sure when the consensus was formed on the current way of doing things.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Probably because that's the way Boss/Roland did it and everyone adopted to the standard.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

landgrabber posted:

my life sucks right now, and i'm very stressed and kinda going through it. browsed the forums at the wrong time

I hope that your stresses lessen and there are more daily good things that help you to be happy LG, rooting for you from the internet!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Thumposaurus posted:

Probably because that's the way Boss/Roland did it and everyone adopted to the standard.

And of course Japanese is read right to left.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Do Japanese circuit diagrams have a general signal flow from right to left? In undergrad I once got points knocked off a logic circuits lab report because I made the signal flow go top down because it made sense to me at the time. Also I didn't have a CAD license so I made everything in MSpaint

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also a few weeks ago I subbed for a clinical audiology class. The lecture by the professor was about the mechanics in their equipment that suppress noise so I made the second slide a picture of the Grinch griping about noise and had a few examples of weird sources of noise in audio electronics, such as:
Fluorescent lights
Leaving your phone in a recording booth
Aerosolized metal flakes in the atmosphere from fireworks redirecting radio signals
Ground loops
Letting wires touch
Not plugging a cable all the way in
A cable dying

But mostly the lecture was about differential amplifiers, balanced cables, filters, clipping effects / square gating tone pulses, and other boring things. Really I just wanted them to know why in the world they needed to know about this stuff, and I'm really glad that a lifetime of playing guitar taught me these things first hand.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
man i'd be hard pressed to not shitpost that one up

"...and here you can really hear the tone of the dying 9v batteries in Eric Johnson's overdrive pedal"

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

landgrabber posted:

I'm sorry also for my acerbic responses and references to you over benign musical opinions, drunkposting is my problem and I am working on it.

Keep kicking rear end, lg. Don't sleep on that Boss Katana though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jonny 290 posted:

man i'd be hard pressed to not shitpost that one up

"...and here you can really hear the tone of the dying 9v batteries in Eric Johnson's overdrive pedal"

I already hit them with the ole fourier series when talking about clipping and didn't want to torture them that much

(basically I showed this when talking about adding/subtracting sine waves for differential amplifiers and again in the clipping section, then said "don't memorize this stuff")

But my entire goal in teaching is to have people understand why and how things are, instead of just requiring them to memorize random rear end facts like a parrot, which they're just going to forget immediately after the test. I wanted to them to know why the high pass filters on their machines are usually set to 300, as most didn't know about 60hz noise and where it comes from and also the few who knew didn't know about 3 phase power and it's annoying harmonic that pops up a lot. Turns out that most labs around here in florida complain a lot about 60 and 180 hz noise during the warmer months, but notice it goes away in the evenings (when the HVAC system with a bunch of 3 phase motors turn off).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dr. Faustus posted:

Just for the sake of clarity, I only use these blocks for changing strings so I can remove all of them at once and clean the fretboard.

So all the various trem blocks go under the fine tuners in the recessed cavity. 9V for deep routs, domino just for floyds with really shallow routs. YMMV. The duct tape pillow is the best if you have the tape and don't mind wasting some.

But no, I don't block anything in the spring cavity, sorry.

oh even on lo-pros, where they have the weird arrangement under the "base plate" unlike normal floyds? I never got the 9v trick but I've only ever had lo-pros

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

its because, like manga, guitar pedals are for nerds

lol

landgrabber posted:

lol i figured -- good luck with the poo poo

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Got the 6 string SLS restrung and set up in C Standard with a custom .56-11 set. I'm totally going to learn Thunderhorse this time, especially the sweeps. I took a peep at the GP file and I'll definitely have to start with 25% speed, it seems wild. The intonation is off a few cents on a couple of strings, but I'm not even going to bother because thats the one Floyd thing I agree on being a pain in the rear end. I should try one of those little hooks you can get to help with it.

is it sharp or flat? sharp by a few cents is pretty bad, but flat up the neck is not so bad.

definitely respect your taste in guitars tho -- another nice one

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Thanks! I always felt like a basic bro with my affinity toward double humbucker superstrats, but it's just what I like and is comfortable. And yeah, it's definitely a little sharp at the 12th fret compared to the open harmonic.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm left footed! when i play soccer or any kicky thing i always prefer left. Maybe not the exact same thing but i definitely notice it. Useful for my motorcycle riding at least.

I read all as mostly. I learned it from Pete Newell's Big Man Moves VHS.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm left footed! when i play soccer or any kicky thing i always prefer left. Maybe not the exact same thing but i definitely notice it. Useful for my motorcycle riding at least.

you're a monster

gregday
May 23, 2003

Finally redesigned the music wall to accommodate the new lineup.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

gregday posted:

:swoon: I want all of these.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

gregday posted:

:captainpop:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

gregday posted:

Is it an optical illusion or is the Gibson body significantly smaller than the Epi? Also, what Acoustic is that?

Also,

gregday
May 23, 2003

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Is it an optical illusion or is the Gibson body significantly smaller than the Epi? Also, what Acoustic is that?

Also,

Optical illusion. In person they are nearly identical but the Gibson is a little bit thicker.

The acoustic is a Breedlove Stage Exotic Concert CE
Myrtlewood. It’s my favorite acoustic I’ve ever played.

gregday fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 6, 2022

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The combination of not drinking, selling some stuff and realising deposits exist mean it's NGD.

I've just pulled the trigger on a Epiphone 1961 Les Paul SG in white. I'm no longer a Little Fender Boy I'm a Gibson(ish) man. I'm almost 40. It's Dad time.

It does mean my VM Jaguar will be looking for a home. I like it, but we fight a little too much.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

The combination of not drinking, selling some stuff and realising deposits exist mean it's NGD.

I've just pulled the trigger on a Epiphone 1961 Les Paul SG in white. I'm no longer a Little Fender Boy I'm a Gibson(ish) man. I'm almost 40. It's Dad time.

It does mean my VM Jaguar will be looking for a home. I like it, but we fight a little too much.

White SG club :buddy:

When I first looked for a guitar to get for Christmas at 15, I considered an SG because it looked badass. Then I went for years and years thinking Nah, it’s a little over the top. Now I’ve swung back around again to realizing it’s both badass and beautiful.

I’d love to pick up an ES-339 or a D’Angelico DC Mini but I want them all on display and I’m just plain out of wall, so at this point I’m adopting a 1 in = 1 out policy. That’d probably mean the Epi goes, but I’ve had it 15 years and made a lot of little tweaks to it so I love it too much to let it go. It’s like my hot rod at this point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Disco Pope posted:

Epiphone is better anyways!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

:amen:

gregday
May 23, 2003

Gibson owns Epiphone, right? So I won’t go to hell for putting this on my Epi.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
my trick to not wanting fancy guitars is to never play them. somebody tried my acoustic this weekend and said "the action on this is so high, how do you even play it, it's awful!" hey, it works for me *shrug*

i had an epiphone joe pass hollow body that got destroyed in a flood, that was a tremendously good guitar for $500

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I love when people play my cheap guitars and go "holy poo poo this thing rules how much was it" because I did a good setup on it and then they get all confused when they hear I got it for $300 with a case included

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

Tokai > Epiphone!

Although to be fair Tokai prices have gone way up in the last 10 years it seems.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah I don't think I'll ever touch a Gibson for real. I'll just psych myself into thinking I need it. I should get a set up on my firefly but honestly I enjoy playing it just as it came out of the box.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

Tokai > Epiphone!

Although to be fair Tokai prices have gone way up in the last 10 years it seems.

Never heard of Tokai, but I am now GASing for this: https://reverb.com/item/4757606-tokai-ate-70-pr-japan-paisley-pink

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Tokai was making better Strats and Teles than Fender in the late 70s. They also made them for Hondo.

Hondo Professional Series, Strat dates to 1979 and the Tele to 1980. Tokai also made Fender Lead copies for that Hondo Pro Series, but I don't think they ever sold them under their own brand

Factory stripe job on the bottom one, all date to 1980. Having had a chance to compare, these are noticeably better guitars than a Fender Lead from the same time period.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How do I tell if my guitar needs a setup or has high action? My first ever guitar feels hard to play but it's also the first guitar that I've ever played so I have no frame of reference for stuff. Like I feel like I have to push the strings hard but that's also a guitar noob mistake....

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Could be high action, could be strings that are too heavy gauge wise, or you could just not have a good frame of reference yet like you said. You can buy a string action gauge on amazon pretty cheap. I like to set my guitars up with about 1.25mm action on the bass side and about .75mm on the treble side, that's over the 12th fret, and on an electric. Acoustics will be different I guess, I don't know much about them. What guitar do you have?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Could be high action, could be strings that are too heavy gauge wise, or you could just not have a good frame of reference yet like you said. You can buy a string action gauge on amazon pretty cheap. I like to set my guitars up with about 1.25mm action on the bass side and about .75mm on the treble side, that's over the 12th fret, and on an electric. Acoustics will be different I guess, I don't know much about them. What guitar do you have?

I have a mim fender strat with .9 strings. I'll probably cop a string action gauge just to have hard data on my guitar's action instead of guessing, didnt even know those existed lol

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
That's a decent string choice and shouldn't be hard to play at all as they are a reasonably low tension set. I'd get a string action gauge, and a set of allen wrenches that will fit the saddles on your bridge to adjust action, and one to fit your truss rod. Those are the two main things you need to tweak to get a nice action going. There's a bunch of guides on youtube if you want to go down the rabbit hole and learn about it. If you want to grab some feeler gauges and a capo as well, that will let you get an objective measure on your neck relief, however I usually just feel that one out with the "tap test". Neck relief is how much bow you have in your neck vs being perfectly straight. A lot of people are afraid to mess with the truss rod to adjust that, but it's not a big deal as long as you read up on it a bit first, and make small, incremental adjustments and don't try to force anything.

edit: I think a US penny is about 1.5mm thick if you want to try to get a rough idea now. Check from the bottom of the string(without pressing it) to the top of the 12th fret(as in the metal fret, not the space between). If the space is bigger than the penny, your action is probably fairly high. You can check on the low and high E both if you want.

e Also action is largely preference and depends on the guitar. A lot of people are perfectly happy playing with action that's like 1.5mm to 2.0 but I think it feels gross. And if your frets are in reasonably decent shape, there's no reason you'd really need to on a modern electric guitar like that. I'd say 1.5mm on bass and 1.25 on treble is a pretty common action on a decently set up guitar for a lot of people. I like to push it a bit lower, it makes doing legato stuff feel much better too.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 7, 2022

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

For doing a basic setup remember TRAIN

Tune
Relief
Action
Intonation
Noodle

http://www.thornguitars.com/options-htm/setup.htm

Basic guide should get you on the way.

You can measure and adjust things to exact specs and still have it feel wrong. Ultimately you'll figure out what is best for you.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Man, the thumb around the neck F chord is so much harder than the regular bar chord. I guess it's kinda necessary to learn this version if I want to be able to finger pick melodies but gosh is it frustrating.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
working through soma by the pumpkins got the rhythm down gonna try the leads that solo rules gently caress you billy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Fear posted:

working through soma by the pumpkins got the rhythm down gonna try the leads that solo rules gently caress you billy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hYPo2py77A