Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

Nice! Where is that at? Looks similar to a few places on Lookout Rd, but not quite.

Hah, you nailed it, I was doing lookout road repeats this afternoon. That's just the overlook at Windy Saddle Park.

Any other favorite rides close by?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Lookout is my go-to.

If you haven't done it yet, Squaw Pass Rd from Bergen Park is fantastic. Was up there last week and there's some decent color. It's a 14.7 mile climb, 3300 ft, 4.2% grade. So, long and mellow. Some great views up near the top.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

Lookout is my go-to.

If you haven't done it yet, Squaw Pass Rd from Bergen Park is fantastic. Was up there last week and there's some decent color. It's a 14.7 mile climb, 3300 ft, 4.2% grade. So, long and mellow. Some great views up near the top.

Haven't yet but I should. That's the first climb on the triple bypass right? Friend and I might do it together next year.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Correct.

Triple Bypass is fun. I did it in 2019. Speaking of which, both sides of the second climb, Loveland Pass, are also awesome. And in that area, Guanella pass, out of Georgetown, is pretty rad.

There's of course lots of front range climbs, like Golden Gate, Coal Creek, Dear Creek, but I feel like they're always a bit higher traffic.

In town, I generally just stick to the paths and the parks. Less out of concern for cars and more because stop and go for intersections is a drag.

edit; actual content:

That Ritchey Road Logic was a good frame.

dema fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 7, 2022

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

dema posted:

Lookout is my go-to.

Second, I love this climb for all the reasons stated. It’s a great way to do Evans when the road is clear too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

I wanted to replace the aging cable-pulled disc brakes on my commuter with proper hydraulics but the only levers compatible with Tiagra 3x10 are some horrid off-series things. Once I'd committed to a groupset upgrade things got away from me a bit and I ended up with a full GRX800 1x drivetrain, new wheels to allow me to go 10t at the back and a carbon touring fork. It's now about 3kg lighter and very close to the limited edition Croix de Fer Decade that Genesis made in 2015 which is what I wanted at the time anyway. I need to get some GravelKing slicks to finish it off but I can't decide between the blue or the ginger.

Lightbicycle delivered my 88mm wheels just in time for the last couple of races of the triathlon season as well. They make a really satisfying whoosh sound and the DT240 freehub is much less obnoxious than the Hunts I had on (briefly) before.

I upgraded my training bike from Tiagra to 105 in January as well so it's been an expensive year for bike parts but I'm pretty happy with what I've got now.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bikes good

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

+

=

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Spotted this gorgeous Peugeot Montreal Express mixte a week or so ago at one of the Goodwill bins/outlet spots in Portland. They wanted $25 for it, but as Augtober ended and I had to move my "shop" back into the garage, I knew I didn't have space for it, or really any use for it. I could have flipped it, but I already have a couple of extra bikes I need to get rid of, so I left without it. Yesterday I was on one of the weekly thrifting loops my wife I and take (she's been selling on ebay for 20+ years, so we're in thrift spots A LOT), and as I was looking over their bike options I was fixated on a particularly saucy late 90s 18" GT Timberline with gorgeous green metallic flake paint. They wanted $150 for it, but if it's there on Friday when we'll likely be back, it'll be half price and I'll grab it then, but this isn't about that bike. As I was looking it over there was a woman looking at a couple of the others they had and eventually asked a couple of questions that led to us talking for a bit and me explaining that I like to refurb 90s mountain bikes as a hobby then resell them. She gave me her card and said "perfect, I don't want to do any of that, I'll take one of yours." I don't really have anything on hand that would suit her, but said I'd keep my eyes open. Later that morning I remembered the Peugeot, and since I was planning on driving past that particular Goodwill on my way to watch the Portland Thorns win their 3rd NWSL title, I figued I'd stop in and see if it was still there. Not only was it still there, but they' dropped the price to $10. I quickly walked it to the cashier, tapped my debit card and was on my way down the road.

Today after running some morning errands, I started to dismantle it for some light maintenance before reaching out to my new friend Esther. The farther I got into it, the more impressed I got. There are definitely some aged plastic bits, but the hardest bolts I had to remove were the chainring bolts. Everything else just took the "right" amount of force to break free. I sprayed some WD40 on a green scrub pad and the surface rust on the bars disappeared. There's a small hand full of fasteners soaking in vaporust as well as the chain rings. All it really needs is a saddle, tires and a rear shifter. I'm gonna replace the cables/housing since I'm assuming they're close to 40 years old (pretty sure this bike is an 85) though they're not in bad condition and I'm not entirely convinced the chain was ever on the big ring. I found a brand-new woman specific Forte saddle for $7 at a different Goodwill during those morning errands, so that part is sorted. That's enough back story before we get to pictures.

God I love this paintjob.

Took this just the first visit. (Looking at that pic again, I need to go back and grab some bikes for parts stripping.)

These are all on the stand in my garage.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Are those brake lever clamps 40 year old plastic, or is that white paint?

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
introducing: the first bike i have ever owned, a barracuda carina

Development
Jun 2, 2016

w4ddl3d33 posted:

:five:

highme
May 25, 2001

Love that Barracuda :ck5:

Wifi Toilet posted:

Are those brake lever clamps 40 year old plastic, or is that white paint?

Thankfully no, I thought it was plastic at first too. The plastic covers a standard metal band. One lever looked cracked and needing replacement when I started pulling it apart but it had slight crease/indentation from the factory to allow the plastic to flex.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

w4ddl3d33 posted:

every time I would walk up to this bike I'd hear heart singing barracuuuuuuda dun da da dun dun dun duuuuun

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm not sure the new ski lift is going to be done for this winter

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 31, 2022

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I like doing the Eroica rides. For those that don't know what they are, the rides are usually in the 120 mile range, half of it on gravel/dirt roads, and you have to do it on a road bike older that 1986. People show up to ride in wool jerseys, hairnets and more or less period correct cycling gear. With few exceptions it has to be a steel frame, no aero brakes, downtube shifters, no clipless pedals, etc. There are also shorter rides ranging from 25 to 90 miles typically. I usually do it on a Mavic equipped Vitus.

Anyway, I have been telling the 2 guys I do these events with, that we need to get Schwinn Varsities and wear jorts, tube socks, Converse high tops and tank tops, and then do the short ride. The friend have not been receptive. I told them I am going to do that next year anyway.

Cue to me driving home from work the day before the garbage is picked up. Right across the street someone is throwing away this.

You better believe I ran across the street and grabbed them. The brown Varsity is all original except for the pedals and saddle. The blue whatever is all original except for the saddle. I don't think is is a ladies Varsity, but it is an electroweld frame. The "upgrades" from a Varsity are the frontfreewheel crankset and Shimano Positron II shifters. The oddball Schwinn specific 26x1-3/8 tires still are good and the tubs hold air. Both bike need vary little work to make them rideable. Should be a fun little project.

Edit: The 26" ladies' bike is a Caliente.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cat Ass Trophy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 31, 2022

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Those Schwinns looks cool as heck and your idea for the Eroica sounds rad.

Do you have any pictures of the Mavic equipped Vitus?

highme
May 25, 2001

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I like doing the Eroica rides. For those that don't know what they are, the rides are usually in the 120 mile range, half of it on gravel/dirt roads, and you have to do it on a road bike older that 1986. People show up to ride in wool jerseys, hairnets and more or less period correct cycling gear. With few exceptions it has to be a steel frame, no aero brakes, downtube shifters, no clipless pedals, etc. There are also shorter rides ranging from 25 to 90 miles typically. I usually do it on a Mavic equipped Vitus.

This sounds a lot like an idea I had a couple of years ago to coincide with the OG Gambler 500 in Oregon (which if you're not aware is a wilderness trash clean up event in beat cars). Was gonna call it the Grambler 50 and have it be a 50 mile gravel ride on a bike $50 or less.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I picked this up today for 50 dollars

My endgame for bicycles is to have a tandem/cargo bike for day to day riding with the ability to easily get another human on the back if need be, as well as a frame that can carry the weight of groceries and such

And having that folder for when I just need to zip around or fit it in the back of the car

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I made an upgrade/change on my bike. Recently at the second hand shop near the dump I found a pair of Spidel retro-friction shifters for $5 (!) and fitted them over the weekend. Having read online about them being amazing and the best friction shifter ever invented, I was prepared to be underwhelmed.

But they're actually pretty nice! The shifting action is so smooth, and takes the same amount of force to move up and down and it feels like locating the right place of each gear is easier than with the old Superbe ones. They stick out a little more and I don't think they look quite as nice as the Superbe ones but they look pretty good.

First Priest
Feb 12, 2010
Who said summer is over (Bikes are cool and good).

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

Those Schwinns looks cool as heck and your idea for the Eroica sounds rad.

Do you have any pictures of the Mavic equipped Vitus?

This was before Eroica Gaiole in 2017.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I have to read these posts several times to stop my brain from parsing "Eroica" as "Erotica."

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Did a long ride yesterday afternoon. Had some nice light near the end:

Going to be replacing this thing soon. Before EoY, I hope.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

This was before Eroica Gaiole in 2017.

Nice!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

dema posted:

Going to be replacing this thing soon. Before EoY, I hope.

Steel for steel? What parameters for the replacement?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Aluminum for aluminum. Tired of the lack of braking power with rim brakes on my eight year old Enve's. Especially if it's at all wet.

12-speed Di2 will probably be nice too. Most of the group set is also eight years old. At least the shifters, brakes and RD are.

dema fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 4, 2022

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

w4ddl3d33 posted:

My daughter would shank you for it, great purchase

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Put a giant front bag on my old Cinelli

Ugly but useful

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

eat fries out of it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is that decaleur supposed to go all the way out so the arches sit over the handlebar? Would be quite a big moment arm if so.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Is that decaleur supposed to go all the way out so the arches sit over the handlebar? Would be quite a big moment arm if so.
Yes. Generally they also have shock cord that hooks on the dropouts to keep it from bouncing too much.

Also,

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

eat fries out of it

case
Mar 27, 2005

jamal posted:

I'm not sure the new ski lift is going to be done for this winter

Looks better than this one.

The other filthy one

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
new apartment storage setup

Venge
Cinelli Vigorelli Road
Cinelli Gazetta

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Venge crew rise up

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I still haven’t thought of a good name for her.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What bars you running? I keep flirting with flat bars on my beaux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

resident posted:

I still haven’t thought of a good name for her.

Janis the Destroyer