Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I went ahead and ordered a 7 Pro. Hoping its not too huge. $400 for my Pixel 5 that I paid $350 for two years ago is pretty great, and that $200 credit will be nice. I was on the verge of buying some Pixel Bud Pro's anyway to replace my old Soundcores that are starting to show their age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm pretty soft on this 7, I got the 6pro, and I'm pretty happy with it. Just a note that Best Buy has $100 more trade in for Pixel6pro. I'll sleep on it and consider if I want the 7pro tomorrow. I was hoping to get the buds or watch or something with it, but a $200 Best Buy gift card not too shabby.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I decided to go with the regular 7 (I think my first launch-day Pixel; I've had all the odd-numbered ones). I didn't see $300 in value for the Pro compared to the regular, especially after reading the Android Police guy's first impressions of the materials.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

hooah posted:

I decided to go with the regular 7 (I think my first launch-day Pixel; I've had all the odd-numbered ones). I didn't see $300 in value for the Pro compared to the regular, especially after reading the Android Police guy's first impressions of the materials.

The pro comes with an extra $100 googlebux, but I still agonized over that too. In the end the extra camera sounded interesting and an effective $600 off made it worth jumping for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's really the cameras. Macro, autofocus on the ultrawide and the enhanced telephoto.

As pointed out, technically the price difference is only $200 based on the difference in preorder bonus.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The cameras are what are tempting me to consider the 7 Pro, although I still have grave misgivings about a curved screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I wish it was flat, at least it's less curved than last year and it's looking like the actual screen part isn't extending into curved part, but I'm not 100% on that.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Can't trade in Pixel 6a on the 7 Pro, fk you Google :mad:

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.
I feel like I can't not trade in every year for 440 in credit for my p6 for a 599 p7. I am stupid.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I think the 7 will feel too big for me so even the nice cameras on the Pro couldn't tempt me. Macro is one of the few things I miss about my old phones (the ones with physical buttons) and this was tempting, but not quite enough.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I will never go back to a non-foldable

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I really am thrown off by the chrome(brushed metal?) treatment on the camera bump. I'm not sure why but I think it's a step backwards aesthetically.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
How does the Pixel trade-in actually work? Google looks like they are offering like ~$325 for my 4xl towards a 7. Do they charge the full amount up front or charge the pixel 7-$325 and hope I mail it in to them?

Edit: apologies if this has been asked before, my app is being weird

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

$700 from verizon for my mom's pixel 4xl isn't bad. Using the google credit for a watch once I get it. Not bad.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Captain Yossarian posted:

How does the Pixel trade-in actually work? Google looks like they are offering like ~$325 for my 4xl towards a 7. Do they charge the full amount up front or charge the pixel 7-$325 and hope I mail it in to them?

Edit: apologies if this has been asked before, my app is being weird

You pay full price, mail them your old phone (they'll send a small box with a return label), and if it matches the description you get the trade in amount back on your payment method. You have like a month to send in the old phone.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Ordered a white P7 Pro. Haven't had a pixel since the 2XL and thinking it's time to get off the Samsung train. The Google store seemed to be surprisingly...not hosed. That was nice.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mental Hospitality posted:

The Google store seemed to be surprisingly...not hosed. That was nice.

Agreed. Seeing people's experiences with the Google Store on Pixel Day before, I definitely had doubts about my ability to actually order anything. It went quite smoothly (although I wasn't actually offered the 0% financing option; I could only pick the cards that Google Pay already knew about).

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020

sirbeefalot posted:

You pay full price, mail them your old phone (they'll send a small box with a return label), and if it matches the description you get the trade in amount back on your payment method. You have like a month to send in the old phone.

I trade in with Google every year and will also note a few years ago they said my screen was cracked when it was not at all when shipped in their provided box. So take pictures of it before you ship it. It was a nightmare to try to get them to believe me.

Other years have been smooth with no issues.

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

Thoughts on the Motorola Edge 30 Fusion?

It's AU$899 vs AU$999 for the upcoming Pixel 7. AU$499 after trade-in discounts. I just wonder if I'm making a big mistake by not going for the "better" brand.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
So glad to see that Google has guaranteed that this year's phone products are also absolute trash by putting a loving front fingerprint sensor on them. gently caress you, Google. gently caress you.

And just lol at the battery life on the watch. What a joke.

There is officially a huge gaping opening in the market for anyone willing to match the basic feature set that Google has with hardware that isn't complete poo poo.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Lmao okay

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ended up pulling the trigger with trading in the 6 Pro for 545 at Best Buy for the base 7. 6 Pro is too big and I've seen enough from the modem and thermal improvements to make it feel justified to me. I also didn't love the curved screen.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Stop putting lovely under-glass fingerprint sensors until you can get them right

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anecdotal, I know, but the fingerprint sensor on my Pixel 6 has been just fine. It wasn't bad before the update that addressed it, but it's been perfectly snappy since then.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does the Pixel 7 still have a bad 5g modem or is it part of the SoC now?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Neat the under screen fingerprint sensor just died yesterday on One plus 8T. Guess I'll wait for reviews but I suppose I'm in the market for a new phone now.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Incessant Excess posted:

Does the Pixel 7 still have a bad 5g modem or is it part of the SoC now?

It’s reportedly using a more modern Exynos modem instead of the older Samsung one in the 6, but it remains to be seen how the phone as a whole functions with it

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Stop putting lovely under-glass fingerprint sensors until you can get them right

Works On My Phone™️

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Man, Google is only offering $213 for a pixel 5 on the Canadian store. Bleh.

I'm really not impressed with google support after my pixel 5 USB-C stopped transmitting data after a year and a half. Not really too excited about dropping another $1k on a phone this soon.

Are you guys going for the 7 or the 7 pro?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would have liked to ping pong to the smaller 7, but I don't want to make the camera compromises.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What's the trade-in value of the P6P?

I really don't need a new phone, but if trade-in is good enough, I'm game.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

They're saying "up to $600" for it in the US store.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FogHelmut posted:

What's the trade-in value of the P6P?

I really don't need a new phone, but if trade-in is good enough, I'm game.

for the 128gb p6p google store is 450, bestbuy is 545

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Amazon has the Pixel 7 pro available plus a $200 Amazon gift card included for free. IMO an Amazon gift card is basically as good as cash and way better than a google store credit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BFCMBJDH?tag=gsmarena093-20&linkCode=osi&th=1

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Twice now my Pixel 6a has restarted for seemingly no reason. Once while switching between apps, the apps showed as blank and then the phone just restarted, and just now I was using Magic Eraser on a picture and upon completing the task and saving the picture, the phone crashed to the black Restarting screen and rebooted.

Obviously I want to do a warranty exchange, but I’m not sure what to cite on the repair page. The closest thing I can see is a Power or Software choice, but having heard how terrible Google’s support is, I fear I’ll go through the process of sending it in only for them to turn it on, see it works and turn around and ship it back, giving me a phone I can’t trust to function properly when I need it to.

Should I even be doing a repair request, or is there a better option for customer service, like, a live chat or something where I can describe the problem to an actual person?

e: Well, I’m gonna factory reset first, I guess. Sheesh this is annoying.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 7, 2022

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

I just ordered the bellroy case with the phone since that's the one I ultimately settled on last year to blend protection with slimness.

Have you had them before and do you happen to know how they stack up against the Spigen Thin Fit?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Does Best Buy or anyone have floor model Pixel 7s out?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

Have you had them before and do you happen to know how they stack up against the Spigen Thin Fit?

Yes, I had one for my Pixel 6 Pro. They are a little thicker than the Thin Fit (which I think is a crap name now that they went to a fully covering TPU border.)

As to how either protects. I dunno.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's already been a teardown of the 7 Pro.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/pixel-7-pro-teardown-shows-better-cooling-cleaner-layout-than-last-years-model

Screen comes off just as easy as last year and it looks like there's much more thermal tape in use. They rerouted some connections so they could use one large chunk of tape rather than a few smaller ones. This should hopefully allow for more surface area for heat dissipation.

Also, it looks like the SoC is covered by copper tape sandwiched between two thermal pads rather than graphite tape last year.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Are there any camera improvements between the base models (Pixel 6 to 7, non pro)? I feel like bull said something about new sensors many pages back, but it was mostly over my head.