Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Carcinogens with Chinese Characteristics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
RIP Hong Kong, I visited you before you died, I better hurry the gently caress up and get to Taiwan before it dies too.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
:smith:

Ukraine kinda gives me hope about holding out against a forceful assimilation. I still think if China really decided to make their lives awful, a large number of them would emigrate at any chance they could get. They could hold off a military invasion and still end up completely crushed.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ukraine has a credible military of its own. that is the main and in fact only tool they have for fighting their assimilation: literally fight, with artillery. where is the hongkong peeps indirect fire? oh wait they dont have any. or direct fire, tbh

taiwan may be able to hold out but give up on hk, imo. macau is almost done

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ukraine also has the advantage of being recognised as a sovereign state by the international community.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Never forget there's a strategic difference between a land invasion and a naval one, and it's because needing boats+airplanes. A land invasion can take years to lose. A naval invasion you can lose in an afternoon.

E. Spelling. Loose. Coffee?

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 7, 2022

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Pretty sure you can loose a land invasion in, like, three days. To lose a land invasion could take a good while, especially if the belligerent threatens nukes if you push him back to the border and he keeps sending chattel across it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

:smith:

Ukraine kinda gives me hope about holding out against a forceful assimilation. I still think if China really decided to make their lives awful, a large number of them would emigrate at any chance they could get. They could hold off a military invasion and still end up completely crushed.

Ukraine is a sovereign nation whereas HK was formally transferred to PRC control in 1997. China doesn't need to conduct a military invasion because they already fully control the area, both in terms of real, enforceable power, and international recognition.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If China ever does decide to invade Taiwan it's not going to be a surprise. It would be the largest amphibious operation in history by a mile with huge amounts of easily observable preparation. Plus all of Taiwan's spies in the mainland keeping them updated.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
largest amphibious operation in history by a military that hasnt shot another army in anger in 50 years (ladakh doesnt count, they literally fought w polearms)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Aren't most Chinese soldiers one child policy kids? Imagine the backlash if they start taking casualties.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

McGavin posted:

Aren't most Chinese soldiers one child policy kids? Imagine the backlash if they start taking casualties.

the pla certainly did, which is why their post-gulf war doctrine calls for more indirect fires

(they changed it up after the american persian gulf war because their previous doctrine was extremely similar to the iraqis' and the americans fuckin rolled the iraqis)

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Pretty sure you can loose a land invasion in, like, three days. To lose a land invasion could take a good while, especially if the belligerent threatens nukes if you push him back to the border and he keeps sending chattel across it.

Sink the boats, crash the planes, naval invasion ends. That is not a possibility when soldiers can just keep walking into combat.

E. :doh:

Anyway, Taiwan could decively win the war in an afternoon if the chips fall right, and the CCP is unlikely to try without being drat sure they won't. I just want to point out that if the CCP got it wrong, people would be surprised how quickly that war would be done.
Save for the mainland trying to bomb everything left standing on the island, but that's not annexation, only expensive, and ends when the CCP wants to use their money better. Taiwan doesn't cease to exist then.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 7, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

WarpedNaba posted:

to go all-in on pedantry, land invasions typically have months of pre-invasion buildup. Russia started building up for the latest round of their invasion of Ukraine in ~november/december 2021. FSB roughly tripled their manpower in Ukraine, and started working overtime with basically an unlimited budget for about another year before that.

so yeah no one is 'loosing' a land invasion in three days either

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 7, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
and they try to have operational uncertainty so it just looks like posturing. the cia basically knew the contents of putins rear end in a top hat so they called it correctly but the ukranians didnt. most of the cia's assets in the prc are dead for extremely humorously stupid reasons so they cant do that in the taiwan case

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Yeaaah, but marshaling forces to a naval invasion that could have a possible chance of taking Taiwan is not on a scale that you can do for a lark. Doing it a couple times to obfuscate if you'll go over or not, or when, is economic insanity. It means hoarding and preparing insane amount of supplies to the staging areas and then - moving it back again. And if that's not done, you're either not serious or will not win if you try.
Land is much more flexible about that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
having the war in the first place is economic insanity anyways. what's a dollop more insanity as the amuse-bouche? nation-states have drawn down their GDP by like, half and still went ahead with doomed and non-doomed wars

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

True, except for...
The War changes the border. A fake out doesn't. These politicians might be insane, but they don't spend money if they don't get what want. If/when fornInt says they're going to go over it's because they're going.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 7, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

bob dobbs is dead posted:

having the war in the first place is economic insanity anyways. what's a dollop more insanity as the amuse-bouche? nation-states have drawn down their GDP by like, half and still went ahead with doomed and non-doomed wars

well you might convince Taiwan to take its security situation more seriously, you risk pre-emptive sanctions, and a whole shitload of bureaucrats spend the next month planning out the worst conceivable sanctions that they can think of to deter you if you do go ahead with your plans.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
A day late, but I post about Thailand in here all the time and no one has ever seemed to care. I'm also married into a Taiwanese family and lived there for a long time, so maybe that got me thread cred?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kharnifex posted:

RIP Hong Kong, I visited you before you died, I better hurry the gently caress up and get to Taiwan before it dies too.

Taiwan owns, definitely go check it out.

Thankfully I don't think they're in the same boat as HK at all so I wouldn't worry too much for the foreseeable future.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

thetoughestbean posted:

Nah, it was just the specter of communism

There's a thread title in here somewhere!

Haunted by the Spectre of Communism

Or

Ghosts with Chinese Characteristics

E: needs more zing

url fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 7, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
There is no way that China can do any sort of surprise attack on Taiwan. They'd be more subtle if they yelled "WE ARE GOING TO INVADE YOU ON NOVEMBER 16, 2023" every day for the next year

The second anyone sees any sort of buildup it's going to alarm the Taiwanese and cause an increase in US force posture. Despite the walk backs I think the Chinese have seen it's very clear from Biden at least it wouldn't just be a fight between Taiwan and China, it'd be Taiwan and the US vs China

Also I recognize that Biden speaks his true mind way too much, especially for a sitting president, but I also don't entirely believe these particular slipups are just oopsie. I think they send a message to Beijing publicly while maintaining "oops the President just misspoke!" plausible deniability for the government at large

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/its-entirely-illegal-for-china-to-open-police-stations-here-says-ottawa

Ya dont say?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

During the HK protests Mainland Chinese police cars were seen driving around Australia, no idea who pulled that stunt

*Edit I'm told it was tankies with stickers from aliexpress

Kharnifex fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 7, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

url posted:

There's a thread title in here somewhere!

Haunted by the Spectre of Communism

Or

Ghosts with Chinese Characteristics

E: needs more zing

Haunted by the Spectre of Communism With Chinese Characteristics

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Kharnifex posted:

During the HK protests Mainland Chinese police cars were seen driving around Australia, no idea who pulled that stunt

I didn't know this happened, but I'll be honest, this is absolutely deliciously hilarious.

I'm giddy deciding which bit is best.

They're openly disrespected at home, it's why the military is always nearby. It's brilliant to think it would work in another country.

I wanna see them try this in the US.

url fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 8, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Almost like the whole way police work is quasi-legal and shady af, no matter where they're from

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Atopian posted:

Haunted by the Spectre of Communism With Chinese Characteristics

The Ghost of Plun Qing Past

url fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 8, 2022

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Kharnifex posted:

could you imagine how much more chabuduo cops would be in china if they actually got bmws

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
also going back to ghost chat, my date with a vampire still hands down best supernatural themed show ever

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Vampires are great, every date ends with some succ

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

url posted:

The Ghost of Plun Qing Past

A Haier plane of existence.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Atopian posted:

A Haier plane of existence.

:nice:

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Kharnifex posted:

Tankies can only salivate about the riches they could have in China with their home-study HSK 3 scores and fervent devotion to Chairman Mao and Uncle Xi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXdMsKJjp_c

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

PITY BONER posted:

Tankies can only salivate about the riches they could have in China with their home-study HSK 3 scores and fervent devotion to Chairman Mao and Uncle Xi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXdMsKJjp_c

Funny thing is, dancing monkey jobs went the the way of the dodo due to government policy. A Tankies only hope would be, what, being a CCP shill like that Andy Boreham guy?

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 9, 2022

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Kharnifex posted:

If Taiwan dies too shortly after, we know it was you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Welp.