Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I've been processing trauma through cartoons about my childhood!

credburn has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Oct 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Ronnie face :stonklol: was created for

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Emzedoh posted:

I have to admit, I'm regretting my choice to read ahead after we cut to Lyndon. I just had to know!

I made a similar mistake with Brain Chip so I've had the experience to resist reading ahead in Trixie. So far.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

the squirrels have no facial features at all and yet are so emotive

it's like your brain automatically fills in what their faces should be like based on body language and tone it's cool

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hempuli posted:

Well then - who can figure out (without having read the comic before) why the stars vanish?

Figuring it out on my own in the original Trixie Slaughteraxe thread, before the resolution was even written in the comic is one of my high points in life. No cheating possible!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Or even simpler, the simulation stretches out in a ball with a radius of a few light years from earth.
Past that there's nothing, so there's no further light travelling towards earth.

Basically, the incoming starlight was a finite resource which was used up.
That would explain why all stars went out at the same time, even though some are millions of light years away.

And I mean, it kinda makes sense to build it that way. Unless you expect an all-consumingly massive supernova from a distant sun, the rest of the universe probably doesn't affect your death simulation, that much. And in that case everyone is instantly hosed anyway.

I guess there could be glitches, like the sudden lack of astral navigation, which could lead to or recontexualize a death, but maybe that thing simply isn't built for long time predictions. Let's be honest. Lyndon would have offed himself years ago.

Or maybe the sceptre does a little precomputation. Based on his health and current situation, it didn't expect Lyndon to survive the year. In fact, he would have died a few seconds later l, when they fled the embassy. So there was only enough dedicated memory space for a couple light years. Due to the fact that he's artificially being kept alive, the simulation sphere is all alone now.

For context, this was the latest comic at that time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Steven Universe did basically the same thing with a holodeck setup running out of computing power trying to simulate an entire town and becoming unstable.

It's not usually applied to prophetic magic, but it seems a valid idea. There's always problems when you try to abuse a kind of magic far enough, and not just for the sake of teaching mostly nonsensical lessons but likely outcomes when magic specifically has limits and requirements to function- and it's not 'smart' enough to know what it can and should be faking.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pacifist magic only allows you to cause the deaths of little things, and in the past spells bave resulted in the scepter being used, without Lyndon forgetting them. The only concluaion is that this entire world is miniaturized inside the gem on the scepter.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

A while back I read a scifi short story where scientists bounce a laser off a planet orbiting another star. Everything breaks because it turns out they were in a simulation and it didn't have the computational capacity to suddenly expand from only having to do an accurate simulation of the solar system, to having to simulate out 5 light years

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Hempuli posted:

Yeah, Im' really happy to be reading these later bits, the comic has really picked up while when I quite reading it was more about a dangerous road-trip without all that much going on. Thanks for posting it, Kit!

Glad you’re enjoying it! And yeah I agree that I kinda prefer this more personal bend the second adventure is following. The first adventure was pretty cool but really it was just about a job

Stand Still. Stay Silent

Bird Lord

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I like bird lord

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hempuli posted:

I like bird lord

According to an exhaustive google search, a seagull can only carry 1kg at best. Therefore five hundred seagulls (i.e. a thousand wings) would not be able to lift up a car, except maybe a very tiny one :colbert:

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

The dude is from Circumstances.

Tie breaker - do you have a tattoo of Roast Beef not sleeping well

The next seven panels go something like this: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

those gulls are too smug for me, somethings up

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Good morning I have remembered to post Hark! A Vagrant.

Homage to the Road to Animal Farm

I made another comic called ‘Eric Arthur Blair Shoots an Elephant’ but it was like 90% text and some pictures mooshed in the corner. After these history comics are done maybe I will make things that break out of six panels.

ps what good is any British comedy without a zany chase scene

I’ve been sketching wonder woman, is it because I see Watchmen posters everywhere I go and my mind is riddled with superheroes? Oh I forgot her bracelets.

Maybe this newfangled French Police thing is the ticket

I figure since I mentioned Robert Peel twice in comics without ever making one about the man himself, it was about time.

Sometimes, instead of just ‘Cartoonist Kate Beaton,’ I see myself referred to as the more specific ‘Cananadian cartoonist Kate Beaton.’

WHYEVER COULD THAT BE

At least a nice hairdo is named after you. It’s true! Where would the Rockabilly be without the Pompadour?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Carthag Tuek posted:

those gulls are too smug for me, somethings up
gulls are always smug laughing birds, nothing new

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You know, I don't know why, but I just kind of assumed that when someone was an official mistress of the king, they would be single. But today I learned Madame Pompadour was married. The King tried to make Charles Guillaume Le Normant d'Etoilles take an ambassador position so he'd be out of the way but he refused, so the king just declared Madame and her husband legally separate (but not divorced, because of course you couldn't just get a divorce! What do you think we are? British!? Divorce wouldn't be legalized in France until 1792, just over 50 years later).

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Eren and Joost bond over word salad, and Super Taxi leaves Joost alone, satisfied that he's in good caring hands! He reflects on how amazing and sad it can be to meet people! We whoosh away from the hospital...

Read right to left:

...and back to Jodocus manor!

:monocle:

Chapter 17 - Birthday Halleluja: END

Volume 2 - Hell's Cake: END

shlurp shlurp

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

If a girl reacts to something you just said, the way Casey reacted to Lydia's callousness, know you've hosed up immensely.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Nov 28, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

:smith:

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON BACK

so many good panels this update let's goooo

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm confused what happened. Abigail threw the blade and then not-Sonic just tripped or something.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

rydiafan posted:

I'm confused what happened. Abigail threw the blade and then not-Sonic just tripped or something.

They didn't want to show a guillotine slicing the dude's feet off, because it's not that kind of comic.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Shoes came off: they dead
Shoes came off but with feet still inside: they fine

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ah, the feet still being in the shoes is what I missed. Thanks!

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Comrades! It is time for another chapter of Kutszure Sensen. This one is a little longer though, so I'm breaking it in two.

That's right, Nazis kidnapped Santa Claus.

Incidentally, did you know Slovenia has three Santas Claus?
https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-three-santas-of-slovenia/

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hempuli posted:

I like bird lord

Birb Lord rocks

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Apologies if it was posted but look what comic shows up on this special by Justin Roiland

https://youtu.be/9gUgnS5hbsc

Megg Mogg and Owl

Mr Ice Cream Glove has a new favorite as of 23:42 on Oct 7, 2022

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Hempuli posted:

Lumskhund 19
Lumskhund 20
Lumskhund 21
Lumskhund 22

Lumskhund 23

Lumskhund 24

Lumskhund 25

Bristlecone 1

Talking character deaths: 44
Deaths altogether: 83+
Scepter of Deaths: 10+

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
ah hah! I guessed right about the stars going out at once!

also lmao ripped Lyndon

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

credburn posted:

I've been processing trauma through cartoons about my childhood!

Hooray, maths can be fun!!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

ah hah! I guessed right about the stars going out at once!

also lmao ripped Lyndon

This whole arc is basically a Certified Lyndon Painatorium moment

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Genuinely literal :lol: when I saw those abs

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Emzedoh posted:

Comrades! It is time for another chapter of Kutszure Sensen. This one is a little longer though, so I'm breaking it in two.

That's right, Nazis kidnapped Santa Claus.

Incidentally, did you know Slovenia has three Santas Claus?
https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/the-three-santas-of-slovenia/

this reminds me of the time a nazi in chile shot santa claus

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Mr. Fix It posted:

this reminds me of the time a nazi in chile shot santa claus

What?

*googles*

Oh god, it's so much worse than I thought it would be.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Emzedoh posted:

What?

*googles*

Oh god, it's so much worse than I thought it would be.
Huh how bad are we jesus loving christ

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Lol at all of Trixie Slaughteraxe everything owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hempuli posted:

Lumskhund 23