Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

people who can't control their fomo and need to express their status through skins fund online shooters now and you should be happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hashy posted:

people who can't control their fomo and need to express their status through skins fund online shooters now and you should be happy

I'd MUCH rather they made OW2 subscribtion-based to fund it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jack Trades posted:

If there's never anything worthwhile on it then you don't have to bother with it.

Which is why they're locking new heroes behind it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hope that whoever came up with the battlepass business model stubs their small toe every single day for the rest of their life.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jack Trades posted:

I hope that whoever came up with the battlepass business model stubs their small toe every single day for the rest of their life.

I really don't mind it when it's only cosmetic poo poo. Putting heroes in it is jumping the shark in a massive way.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Glad I drunk purchased the Watchpoint pack months ago so I could play Overwatch 1, because they didn’t give me poo poo for OW2. Guess I won’t play until they fix that.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Zokari posted:

why is the overwatch thread so mad all the time

Back in the good old days we had the separate whining thread for whiners and for people who wanted to mock them.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

did the three hours of US primetime database maintenance not fix people not getting their purchases? lol

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Hashy posted:

did the three hours of US primetime database maintenance not fix people not getting their purchases? lol

Server stability emergency maintenance did not fix unrelated problem, no.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

oh I got confused when they literally said it was for account/ownership poo poo my bad

quote:

3 p.m. - 4 p.m. PDT: Servers will be down while we’re rolling out a fix to address some bugs related to account merge, login, and the First Time User Experience. Players won’t be able to access the servers during this time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Asking me to pay 7bux for OW1 hero intro is really loving egregious.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

No worries.
The account merge thing messed people's ability to log in and play the game. Not everyone and not for every region.
And some Ow1 veterans accounts were treated as brand new accounts and had to do FTUO.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jack Trades posted:

It is pretty loving hilarious that after all this time of prepping the game to be f2p they didn't actually fill it with anything new and just hope a ton of new players come into it and buy the old stuff.

and that's only half of the joke, the :effort: battlepass is the punchline.

I don't know if it's funny or sad that the actual game is way way better now but everything surrounding it is such a mess that Blizz is getting roasted universally.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Literally every role feels better now in a miracle of design that I can't make sense of given how much of a mess this all looked to be for the last however many years. I did not think 1 tank would ever work and it would be a complete mess. Tanks feel powerful, DPS feel more impactful and have various niche roles that all feel important, and healers are maybe the highest skill ceiling in the game but not punishing to play.

i played a few more matches today and it does feel better than old overwatch. i guess my main issue is just how they removed the tank barrier stuff but never tuned down overall damage/healing alongside it. add in overwatch's peculiarities like the lack of strafing momentum and how impactful headshots are to damage, and the end result is that you either instagib people or you never kill them because all your damage gets healed away as they A-D strafe. it'd be interesting to see how the game would play with slightly larger health pools, though that would probably make a bunch of DPS heroes even more hard to deal with. and honestly it'd be cool to see them try the game without the silly A-D strafing poo poo 6 years after release but lol i doubt it

edit: well to be honest i think i dislike how healers can generally continue healing forever instead of it being a limited resource (like how moira works) but that's basically overwatch at its core so i doubt it can be changed

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 7, 2022

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, those are overpriced as hell.

Old OW1 crap should have been used as extra filler for battle pass so new people could get something to wear.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Minorkos posted:

A-D strafing

this is the thing i hope they fix with overwatch 3.0 overwatch 3: the final chapter. a tracer A-D+crouch spamming with the right cadence has her blinking back and forth at 144hz forth like Schrodinger's hitbox. its baked into the balance though, baby dva is like a mosquito only because theres absolutely no placing your cursor on where she is or know she will be, only where you think she might be

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It would take a pretty generous interpretation of the word “sequel” to consider this one. It kept my load outs, key maps and video settings!

The game is still fun, it’s still very much overwatch but the 5 a side setup does make it feel a bit more sparse.

The progression system is plainly less interesting for someone who plays sporadically and can’t commit to a season-long battle pass.

I don’t really understand why OW1, a game I paid for, got replaced by OW2. It was relatively seamless for me. It just feels weird. It’s like a huge mega patch that implies a lot of future costs for the whole cast of heroes. What was previously free - new heroes - now costs. And no one really asked me if I was on board with that.

I’m not mad in the slightest, I just don’t really have a frame of reference for this type of change. I liked OW and it’s sad to know that is just … gone.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They wanted to milk people for more money so they made it f2p and to get more publicity did the minimum amount of things they could to call it Overwatch 2.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
In terms of 'free stuff' the loot box system was better too. I'm not sad to see it go, but the replacement is a step back in that regard at least.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Capped this silly sequence from a comp match last night where I solo ult the enemy JQ after she caught 3 of us with her ult because gently caress it lmao. It ends up being 3v4 in favor of the enemy team, and I almost die but my Ana lights me up with a clutch nano and we secure the last kills. Push is pretty fun imo, especially as JQ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3TN6ZwMWH0&hd=1

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It would cost you 12000$ to buy all cosmetics in OW2 and vast VAST majority of them are just OW1 cosmetics.

12000 is a way larger number than 60.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jack Trades posted:

I'd rather they keep Battlepass poo poo.

If there's never anything worthwhile on it then you don't have to bother with it.

they already described how every new hero they release from now on is going to be unlocked through battlepass grinding (or instantly with realmoney)
unfortunately, this automatically makes it 100x more relevant than ow1's cosmetic-only lootboxes

they haven't yet described what the mechanism will be for unlocking a character after their initial bp is over though

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Oh hey Overwatch I havent played that in six years lets see what this new one is about.

"GIVE US YOUR PHONE NUMBER"

lol nope, Uninstalled already.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

They've already said they're dropping the phone number requirement for most people who played OW1 as of tomorrow.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-2-launch-status-update/700480

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Jack Trades posted:

I'd MUCH rather they made OW2 subscribtion-based to fund it.

I was really hoping switching to a battle pass system would provide for this. I didn’t realize they would then also make everything else so loving expensive. So now there’s three classes: free, buying BP as subscription, and whales. It really bugs me that this is how they want to treat the game going forward. I wonder how Halloween is going to go with all of those cosmetics. If there’s no way to earn holiday skins people might riot.

Jack Trades posted:

It would cost you 12000$ to buy all cosmetics in OW2 and vast VAST majority of them are just OW1 cosmetics.

12000 is a way larger number than 60.

This exact image was posted this before and as I asked then I ask again now: how much is this after the battlepass is taken into account?

Extra questions: considering lootboxes were on average 10 boxes per legendary skin, how much would this be in lootboxes? Or how much in time spent earning lootboxes?

OW2 is more expensive but I need a comparison point. Someone buying every skin in the game piecemeal is not a realistic comparison for anyone to present.

Fake Edit: Reddit is reporting that controller settings could be what’s causing some of the mouse aiming issues.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Redezga posted:

They've already said they're dropping the phone number requirement for most people who played OW1 as of tomorrow.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-2-launch-status-update/700480

Yeah sadly I think I never actually owned OW1 I played it during a free weekend early in its life. I genuinely don’t see why they need my phone number when they have my details in the battle net account.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

"OK"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

they already described how every new hero they release from now on is going to be unlocked through battlepass grinding (or instantly with realmoney)
unfortunately, this automatically makes it 100x more relevant than ow1's cosmetic-only lootboxes

they haven't yet described what the mechanism will be for unlocking a character after their initial bp is over though

Absolutely lmao.

I had all the new heroes unlocked from the start (without spending money on the game other than the initial ow1 purchase at its launch, which from what I read online might be a bug but gift horse) so I was hoping they would do the sensible thing and just have grossly overpriced cosmetics and not lock their landscape changing heroes behind a big pay wall. Nope.

Looking forward to every new hero being grossly overpowered for a month to drive purchases before getting patched down to normal levels.

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah sadly I think I never actually owned OW1 I played it during a free weekend early in its life. I genuinely don’t see why they need my phone number when they have my details in the battle net account.

It's supposed to be an anti cheating thing, to make it harder to :10bux: your way back into the game if you get banned. They could have hired more mods but it's easier to just gently caress over everyone on a prepaid phone plan, they're not whales anyways or they would be on a normal plan.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 7, 2022

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Super scrub played a few more games of Mercy, forgot how much I like flying around the battlefield healing everyone. Still haven't figured out the right mix for using the damage boost, but it probably doesn't help that I'm only playing open queue games where it's 90% dmg dealers and not balanced in the slightest

Still getting kicked out of the game/server for unlocking achievements, but that's what I get for being a god gamer

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Game feels pretty good. Others are pretty good compared to me, man I suck at this.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I feel like I am sucking way more than I did before - I feel like I can never do enough damage because there’s sooo much healing going on.

I did, however, try Echo for the first time and good lord she can annihilate dps and support characters so quickly, so I’m gonna stick with her for a bit

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I am a sick, broken human being, but I enjoy the battlepass progression and daily challenges. It's nice having little goals to optimize and prioritize. I also really don't care about missing skins. It is just a side quest. My only complaint is with the idea of a premium battle pass that costs money. Something about it makes me feel like my daily efforts are sub-optimal if I don't spend that subscription. Oh no, they are in my head :(

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Reaper was already nerfed before in OW1, but he feels even weaker now somehow. The boomier shotgun sound effect does not match up with how little damage he does now. :sigh:

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

well why not posted:

It would take a pretty generous interpretation of the word “sequel” to consider this one. It kept my load outs, key maps and video settings!

The game is still fun, it’s still very much overwatch but the 5 a side setup does make it feel a bit more sparse.

The progression system is plainly less interesting for someone who plays sporadically and can’t commit to a season-long battle pass.

I don’t really understand why OW1, a game I paid for, got replaced by OW2. It was relatively seamless for me. It just feels weird. It’s like a huge mega patch that implies a lot of future costs for the whole cast of heroes. What was previously free - new heroes - now costs. And no one really asked me if I was on board with that.

I’m not mad in the slightest, I just don’t really have a frame of reference for this type of change. I liked OW and it’s sad to know that is just … gone.

it's because this game isn't so much a sequel as it is a F2P relaunch. Blizzard called it Overwatch 2 because it sounds better in marketing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Reaper was already nerfed before in OW1, but he feels even weaker now somehow. The boomier shotgun sound effect does not match up with how little damage he does now. :sigh:

Depends on how you're using him I guess. With the tank changes his damage is a lot slower but his regen is still high enough to 1v1 and win, and he still can do plenty of damage on the backline. With everyone open and softer now with the removal of shields it's easier to get stuck in to the fight.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I think he is pretty strong with one caveat. Armor counters him really hard. I noticed he was getting picked a lot in OWL and he is great at back assassination with a get out of jail free card, and self sustain. He also fine shooting at meaty tanks, but don't bother shooting the yellow stuff. Oh yeah and his ult is really only countered by DVA now.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was playing him in death match and:

1) he seemed to be able to 1v1 any other character up close
2) his shadow glide thingy comes off cooldown very quickly and is great for getting close, escaping, snd even just gaining a little advantage mid fight

I may have just been in a scrub tier death match but he seemed good to me, with the caveat that you needed to arrive within shotgun range fully healed.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
He's strong but he's also cursed with the thing where none of his abilities do damage, just his guns, so if your aim is off you just suck and die. No homing sticky grenade or remote bomb or aoe dot+slow field or whatever to tack on damage, just shotgun

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
New Kiriko menu music tune has the exact same Generic Trap Beat as The Worst Fortnite Song and it fills me with an impotent rage that it is on purpose, that it is a finely crafted marketing decision to be as legally distinct from, but similar to, Fortnite in any way they can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-QJM7mwPME&t=85s

for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXwrMsBfSVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbFhkuvgAM8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
SKR SKRRRTT