Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wibla posted:

Yell at your coworkers as well? Who's the main point of contact with the customer?

I'm a consultant and I'm 100% assigned to them so they think they own me, and my coworkers are all nerdy pushovers. I'm already the person they send in to be the bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Meeting invites that are received without even a basic agenda gets declined, if you want to just chew something over then use Teams

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Meeting invites that are received without even a basic agenda gets declined, if you want to just chew something over then use Teams

half my org uses sfb, less than half uses teams, the rest only use emails

:shrug:

edit: and usually when they keep blowing us off we set up a meeting so we can talk shop about what needs to be done because too loving bad something has to happen at some point.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

half my org uses sfb, less than half uses teams, the rest only use emails

Deloitte?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KillHour posted:

My coworkers already set bad expectations and they accept them as soon as they are sent so I'm kind of boned. I yelled at my boss about it.
If you have a boss you auto-decline anything outside your contracted hours.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

KillHour posted:

I'm a consultant and I'm 100% assigned to them so they think they own me, and my coworkers are all nerdy pushovers. I'm already the person they send in to be the bad guy.

The late part sucks for sure, but I think it'd be fair to say you should just tell them to respect your time lol

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Is there something going around? I had like six sales cold calls today, some of which to a phone number not connected to my title.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

One of our more painful clients got bought out by them a while back. Sucks to be them but it’s at least not my problem any more.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

We're partnering with them right now for a major migration of systems. The only people less organized than them is our org, so it's going great. We're 22 months into this 6 month project.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

We're 22 months into this 6 month project.

:drat:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Don't even ask how many millions its costing you.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 4, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Does anyone know how Deloitte upward-failed itself into its perceived status as a useful institution?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mustache Ride posted:

Don't even ask how many millions its costing you.

Yeah but those millions are GOOD waste, because at least that cash isn't being used to pay employees.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Welp. Maybe tomorrow, on day 2 of a 3 day pentest engagement, the nightmare client will actually bother to answer my questions about how I authenticate with their API.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

Does anyone know how Deloitte upward-failed itself into its perceived status as a useful institution?

Because being the C-Level who pissed away millions on their services looks bad. Thus you can never blame them when you have peons who can eat the blame.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Potato Salad posted:

All the decision makers got taken to nice dinners and got tickets to exclusive events

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

poo poo not pissing me off, one of the annual projects that used to involve a giant pile of paper like it's the 80s, is under new management this year. The requirements were delivered via word document, and it's leveraging existing functionality to advertise better!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Potato Salad posted:

Likely lobby money which then got them VIP status for government projects.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Potato Salad posted:

Enough very important people got burned by them and would be thus embarrassed by proxy that it's kinda an emperor's new clothes situation. Nobody buy a guileless young boy (new intern) would dare say that the emperor is naked (this idea is loving retarded and will cost us millions).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Let's try to find another way to say that in the future please.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Potato Salad posted:

Having experienced their competition, I'm guessing that they're all equally bad and so there is no escape really

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're all approaching this assuming that consulting companies are hired to achieve a solid aim. I think it's just cargo culting - C-levels bring in companies like Deloitte and KPMG because that's what other C-levels do, and they can get a good few years out of meetings with a consulting firm before moving on to another company and doing the same thing.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

Let's try to find another way to say that in the future please.

It would be mod brained to hire Deloitte.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I applied for a job in Deloitte once after I'd already been consulting for a small company for a couple of years. Didn't realise it at the time but they were just curious as to why I'd even bother when everything I was unhappy with about the place I was working for was the same but worse at Deloitte. Oh well!

tactlessbastard posted:

Username/post combo new high score! :golfclap:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I worked for Deloitte IT internally for six years and it's a complete loving mess. Fun to work with the latest and greatest Microsoft toys, though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Having experienced their competition, I'm guessing that they're all equally bad and so there is no escape really

There's bad, but then there's malicious incompetence. Deloitte is straight up evil and often times unethical.

Deloitte isn't just an MSP, they are a Prime government contractor. If you are a smaller business, you have to work through a Prime to get government work.

Deloitte was our Prime and goddamn were they the most abusive relationship ever. Since they were the prime, all communication to the government had to be moderated through them. They would also routinely have closed door meetings with the government about our project without our involvement. Typically the outcomes of those meetings would be "Hey, we promised x by y date. Get it done."

No involvement with our PMs, the dates would often be during the current sprint. The existing committed to work also couldn't be bumped either, it was all additional stuff.

So, the teams were in a perpetual state of crunch like the worst game studio ever. 10 hour days 7 days a week for weeks upon weeks.

They would also pull poo poo like filing a bug over functionality when the functionality worked exactly how it was detailed in the specification. When that was pointed out, they would say "But it's not working they way they thought it world work in practice, so it's a bug and needs to be changed." The real reason there is that there was a certain budget for ongoing maintenance that included x number of hours a month and they knew if they classified enhancements as bugs, they didn't have to pay us for them (even though I'm sure they got more money from the government for the extra work.)

So why put up with this at all? Blackmail. Any time we would push back even slightly on the unreasonable demands, they would send a written letter to the government expressing concern over us as a subcontractor (being sure to send us a copy) and then privately directly to us threaten to blackball us from government work forever if we didn't just roll over.

I have never seen such broken moral in a dev team and I lost count on the number of times I saw the PM on the project run to the bathroom in tears.

No not do business with Deloitte if you can any way influence the decision making process.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thomamelas posted:

Because being the C-Level who pissed away millions on their services looks bad. Thus you can never blame them when you have peons who can eat the blame.

"Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM", as we said in the '70s.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

Perfect, I love it. No notes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is it time for the Deloitte Agile subway map again?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

poo poo that pisses me off: a significant portion of our cctv network had a short outage this morning and I haven't figured out why yet :argh:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Wibla posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: a significant portion of our cctv network had a short outage this morning and I haven't figured out why yet :argh:

You are in a movie and have been robbed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Wibla posted:

Someone briefly knocked over the switch connecting everything to the recording box.

Why no, I've never done that. Why do you ask?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Someone called our prod line for urgent issues (usually the only people who call are nuance when they're having datacenter issues)

They were very insistent that they called u-haul. It took a while to convince them otherwise and then they called back the next day looking for uhaul again. Lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dunno-Lars posted:

You are in a movie and have been robbed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wibla posted:

It's because the companies that make that poo poo are still using 30+ year old code and it's held together with duct tape and the hopes and dreams of your facilities manager.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

So mystery partially solved: A switch is starting to fail, rebooted and somehow triggered an STP root change that made a lot of noise :argh:

Several L3 routers along the way are misconfigured and I guess I know what I'm doing next week.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Assigning the ticket to someone else and going on vacation?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We hired Deloitte to manage migration away from the legacy domain left over from before we were acquired. I'm the rear end in a top hat who asked how they were planning to handle change control for the GxP systems in Manufacturing and QC. Then I had to explain what GxP meant (validated systems for highly regulated work). They ended up not breaking anything in those areas, so I like to think I helped anyone from ending up in the Million Dollar Club.

Also, it was fun making a consultant squirm.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Someone called our prod line for urgent issues (usually the only people who call are nuance when they're having datacenter issues)

They were very insistent that they called u-haul. It took a while to convince them otherwise and then they called back the next day looking for uhaul again. Lmao
Way back I used to work for a place with the misfortune to have the same phone number as a lovely delivery company, except we were based in the capital and they were in the arse end of nowhere so the area codes were different. Everyone would just ignore the area code and dial as if they were in Dublin. It would often take quite a while to convince them we were a security consultancy and not a delivery company. Over Christmas to new year when we were shut you'd get the same person ringing once a day ignoring the voicemail message telling them who we were and getting more and more upset about their lost package and nobody answering the phone every time.

Wibla posted:

So mystery partially solved: A switch is starting to fail, rebooted and somehow triggered an STP root change that made a lot of noise :argh:

Several L3 routers along the way are misconfigured and I guess I know what I'm doing next week.
I was so close to calling it! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
So I decided to try this "applying to new jobs" thing thats in fashion and so far the experience has been interesting.

After a couple of "Sadly we wont be going forward with your application this time" messages I finally got further than 2nd round of interviews to learn.. that there are more than two rounds of interviews.

1st: Screening call with recruiter, 30 min.
2nd: Interview with actual company HR & future boss: 1h 30min.
So far seems normal, the real kicker comes after:

3rd: TAKE HOME APTITUDE TEST, 2-4 HOURS DEPENDING ON HOW FAST YOU ARE.
4th: Remote interview part of aptitude test, 2 hours.

Spoke about this with current coworkers and they were like "yeaa.. those are a thing now. Theyre meaningless but everyone keeps having you do them"

I spent a part of my free weekend answering like 300 different "agree/disagree" questions and then filling in couple dozen "complete this series of numbers / shapes" puzzles. I feel like a lab rat.

Sormus fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 8, 2022