Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ardennes posted:

I mean of the 300,000 strong frontline invasion force during Iraq, 75,000 were Marines.

Also, the navy is going to handle the fact it is overstretched as it is while providing direct fire support to marines. I guess the assumption is the Solomon Islands won’t put up much of a fight in the first place.

don't worry im sure the f-35s will solve the problem of fire support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

don't worry im sure the f-35s will solve the problem of fire support

That is true, the F-35 solves everything, especially when it gets its lasers.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Rutibex posted:

so the US Marines is now al qaeda

al qaeda didnt win a war against them. they're the taliban.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ronkainen7k15/status/1577469783662301184

https://twitter.com/ronkainen7k15/status/1577573797615763456

general dynamics unveiled their concepts for the new tank and stryker upgrade

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

KomradeX posted:

So what the M27 is just a fully auto M4? That seems less than ideal compared to the ammo capacity of the 249, you know the thing you could really use while laying supressive fire

The barrel is longer, although much shorter than the M16. It's supposed to be more accurate than either, which is it's whole conceit as a suppressive fire weapon, that the bullets hit much closer to the target and therefore suppress the enemy better. I don't buy it personally.

Filthy Hans posted:

I had no idea anyone still flew the F4, let alone a first-world country like South Korea

Iran probably, they used them in 2014 against ISIS.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

I did the halo vehicle sculpts for McFarlane and made all submissions metallic grey like this because the management went gaga over the renders and approved faster. I wonder if one of the other vehicle artists from that project picked up the trick and was involved in these preproduction renders.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Filthy Hans posted:

I had no idea anyone still flew the F4, let alone a first-world country like South Korea

Turkey has them too. Phantom never dies o7

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

they also fly the P-3 Orion, which is just one year younger than the F-4

the effectiveness of the P-3 can be measured by the fact that everyone on both sides uses some variant of it, both Iran and countries like Canada, and those that don't seem to use something that looks like you'd cribbed a P-3s design notes

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They want to put a 30mm on the Abrams but not the Stryker?

I can’t say I get it, personally, but I’m sure it will be profitable. That’s a lot of weapons for 3 guys to maintain, and they can’t do it from inside the hull separated from the breech and ammunition feed.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They want those sweet recurring payments and support engagements.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

The army can spend 200 General Dynamics gems for 1 lootbox. Which has a 50% chance of containing 120mm ammo, and a 1.2% chance of containing active protection.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/zhao_dashuai/status/1577617969940951040

quote:

An entire squad of soldiers carrying the QTS-11 OICW smart rifle...🧵

It has an integrated 20mm airburst grenade launcher.

A built-in ballistics computer, used to calculate the distance to target.

As well as a thermal imaging camera.

The integrated 20mm grenade launcher can hit enemies hiding behind cover with airburst mode

The gun's camera is connected to a helmet mounted scope, which allows the soldiers to see around corners

The 20mm grenade also has impact and anti-armor types

This is not the first time I've seen an entire squad issued with this weapon.

But the brief appearance in the this PLA documentary does suggest it's continued usage

Wires that connects the helmet mounted scope with the control terminal

Reconnaissance units are likely to be the main users of this weapon system

If you look at the image above, the black ring on their necks are actually throat microphones

This is a direct communications link between soldiers and upper echelon officers and friendly artillery

PLA can have some boondoggles, as a treat.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I looked up why the XM-25 failed and lol $93,000 per gun

not the only reason the project was scrapped but even so that's ludicrous

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
for $93k I'd rather have an armored car with a machine gun. maybe I'm bad at being a soldier

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I remember spending many hours playing soldier of fortune 2: double helix which had the OICW. 13-year old me found it overstuffed with confusing features and not worth the trouble even then.... i was clearly born with deep natural intuition about military procurement

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Cookie Cutter posted:

I remember spending many hours playing soldier of fortune 2: double helix which had the OICW. 13-year old me found it overstuffed with confusing features and not worth the trouble even then.... i was clearly born with deep natural intuition about military procurement

Same. Throwing knives on the other hand...

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

is that "the gun can see around corners" poo poo useful at all in a way a mirror on a baton isn't? it's always seemed awkward and unrealistic to me. needing to use both hands to poke your gun around a corner feels cumbersome and advertises your appearance a lot more than just mounting a gopro on a selfie stick

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

indigi posted:

is that "the gun can see around corners" poo poo useful at all in a way a mirror on a baton isn't? it's always seemed awkward and unrealistic to me. needing to use both hands to poke your gun around a corner feels cumbersome and advertises your appearance a lot more than just mounting a gopro on a selfie stick

It’s not, and they’ve been trying for a long time

The dirty little secret of Corner-Shot specifically is that it’s Israeli and hence has extensive marketing behind it. Israeli arms are export-oriented and they spend ungodly amounts hyping them up.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:56 on Oct 7, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
why do you need to shoot the gun around the corner

like... why not bounce a grenade? blind-fire by holding the regular loving gun around the corner? GO AROUND ANOTHER WAY???

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
well, if there's something around the corner that you want to hit and it's too far away to throw a grenade then having a grenade launcher that you can aim seems like it could be useful

not sure if it's so useful as to justify the price tag, but i guess china has money to spare

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

why do you need to shoot the gun around the corner

like... why not bounce a grenade? blind-fire by holding the regular loving gun around the corner? GO AROUND ANOTHER WAY???

Ultimately not all tactical problems have technological solutions and it drives people a bit crazy.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The additional problems with the original OICW which China is unlikely to have solved are.

Putting all that stuff on one weapon made it way too loving heavy.

A 20mm grenade is far too small to be remotely useful.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

The additional problems with the original OICW which China is unlikely to have solved are.

The average is 40mm? I thought it was 20mm. This is very unsettling.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

bedpan posted:

The average is 40mm? I thought it was 20mm. This is very unsettling.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its how you shoot it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The whole concept of OICW was trash, the program was trash, it only produced garbage. The XM25 proved to be a giant pain in the rear end on soldier trials in Afghanistan and the XM8, like the G36, proved to be a very good, very expensive rifle, that is more than is required.

Probably the G36 will be the last of its kind. First, because the problem of shoulder fired small arm is largely “solved” in terms of accuracy, weight, reliability, and the only thing that will happen now is increases in cost. Second, because it was ambitious and innovative and pushed the materials and technology of the time and calibre as far as they could go, where the smarter solution is to emphasize marketing, schmoozing government officials and designing a weapon to be maximally profitable.

XM8 like the Remington ACR and FN SCAR, was not so improved from the previous generation of rifles as to justify the cost, and ahead of it’s time in that the MIC did not have enough sway to get that signed off on anyway.

The good news about TWO new cold wars is we might see a return of poo poo like this.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

Can we make the 20mm grenade explode like the 40mm if we spend the GDP of a small European country? Only one way to find out!

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Part of me is sad that the G11 was never put into production because I really appreciate the batshit insanity of it's action. It's like if you dosed a gunsmith with LSD and had them design a rifle.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

genericnick posted:

Can we make the 20mm grenade explode like the 40mm if we spend the GDP of a small European country? Only one way to find out!

They are trying this with stuff like DIME and MAC but they are almost certainly a warcrime and so uptake has been slow, only seeing use by the Israelis in Gaze and the US drone campaign.

It’s cost astronomical amounts of money and lasted decades, so the real success was the friends we made along the way.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The FN P90 is a cool gun

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The FN P90 is a cool gun

it looks dumb, op

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

The FN P90 is a cool gun

what if we funded more guns on the basis of looking cool

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Danann posted:

what if we funded more guns on the basis of looking cool

if looking cool was what mattered then the US soldiers would be rocking the Steyr AUG, which ironically is the best of the 5.56 rifles anyway

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Retromancer posted:

Part of me is sad that the G11 was never put into production because I really appreciate the batshit insanity of it's action. It's like if you dosed a gunsmith with LSD and had them design a rifle.

no idea about anything gun related but reading hte wikipedia on this is lol

quote:

Premature ignition of ammunition from heat in the chamber, known as cook-off, was a major problem with early prototypes of the G11 where synthetically bound nitrocellulose, formed into blocks, was used. Normally, when a cartridge is fed into a chamber, its case insulates the propellant from igniting until its impact-sensitive primer is struck by a firing pin or striker. The case aids in insulating the propellant from the heat of the chamber and it takes time for the temperature to rise sufficiently inside a chambered round to ignite the propellant. In addition, in a traditional rifle, extracting a hot case removes heat from the system. As a result of doing away with traditional cases, the G11 was found to be unsafe and had to be withdrawn from the 1979 NATO trials. The high rate of fire and lack of cartridge cases made cooking off a significant problem; the heat buildup in the G11 chamber was immense because the chamber had no provision for cooling like a reciprocating bolt system, which allows hot air to leave the chamber when the bolt is retracted and the chamber is exposed to air. The vertically swiveling chamber also made gas sealing at each end at such high pressures impractical, as opposed to a cross-sectional round-inside-round bolt-to-chamber fit with proper gas sealing.

To solve this, Heckler and Koch formed a partnership with Dynamit Nobel, which redesigned the cartridge to use a new high ignition temperature propellant (HITP). The cook-off problem was reduced by using a denatured HMX propellant with a special binder and coating for the ammunition that increased the spontaneous ignition temperature by another 100 °C above that of standard, nitrocellulose (180 °C) propellant.[11]

wouldnt it be easier to just design a normal gun? i assume normal guns do not have this proble.m

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

lobster shirt posted:

wouldnt it be easier to just design a normal gun? i assume normal guns do not have this proble.m

they do, but it doesn't happen as easily because when you eject the cases you're also ejecting heat

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

In theory caseless ammo is lighter and doesn't spray hot brass everywhere when you shoot it. But it's also way trickier to design and also, yknow, all that

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

they do, but it doesn't happen as easily because when you eject the cases you're also ejecting heat

why can't they just design the gun to eject the heat then?

unbelievable this is still a problem

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lobster shirt posted:

That’s the problem with pretty much all of the attempts to make some sort of crazy future ammo.

Caseless ammo getting wet, or expanding or contracting with temperature or humidity changes is an unsolved problem. Well, I suppose it was solved in the 1800’s with the development of metallic cartridges.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

That’s the problem with pretty much all of the attempts to make some sort of crazy future ammo.

That is why everything, all small arms, should be chambered in .45-70 Government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

In theory caseless ammo is lighter and doesn't spray hot brass everywhere when you shoot it. But it's also way trickier to design and also, yknow, all that

Lighter ammo is theoretically a Game Changer(tm) since you can carry more bullets per guy or ship per truck for a given weight and then shoot more bullets out of your guns at people but it comes with cool drawbacks like "oops all misfires" and "war: famously a very clean and dry activity that is friendly to powders"

Danann posted:

PLA can have some boondoggles, as a treat.

Wow this gun is super heavy and has heavy ammo and heavy electronics and needs batteries

Option 1: the virgin 'regular gun instead'
Option 2: the chad 'attach gun to battlemech'