Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

For maintaining mount, S mount is amazing. Not easy to get into but extremely controlling. I'll often tap lower belts with pressure alone from there and I'm not a big guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Mhmm power ride. It's pretty short and more conceptual than techniques so I wouldn't say there's one section to reference.

On the topic. I gave our local king turtle a hell of a run using the riding mechanics in that series. He was pretty complimentary especially given my length and weight combo isn't usually associated with crushing top pressure.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 3, 2022

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Thanks very much for the tips, everyone! I think I had it stuck in my head that mount is so close to the top of the hierarchy of control that getting to high mount is just something you should always try to do but I hadn't really interrogated that knowledge against where most of my success attacking actually comes from (side and back). Definitely going to keep trying though so I can develop the feel for it. After all, even if I lose position it just means practicing getting back there

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Keep mount > concede mount but stay on top > yolo dive for their legs or a rolling back take.

But inverse order if we're discussing most fun to do.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Keep mount > concede mount but stay on top > yolo dive for their legs or a rolling back take.

But inverse order if we're discussing most fun to do.

Kesa > reverse kesa > all positions

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My coach told the story today of how, my first night, the guy teaching the fundamentals class was making everyone do lunge-squats down the mats and sprints back. I was never very athletic and, trying to sprint back, I lost my footing and did a full stride face plant. My coach, on the sidelines watching the class unfold, grimaced and thought to herself "gently caress, he's not signing up". Well:

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

Congrats!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

:mummyface: Congrats.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Hell yeah, congrats!!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

YASSSS :mummyface:

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

This story gives me hope I may one day have a coloured belt. Congrats!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goongrats!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Congrats Jack B Nimble. Chose your screen name aspirationally I see.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks all; me and another guy are her first white to purple and it's a satisfying feeling for everyone.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

rad

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Hell yeah, welcome to the club!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nestharken posted:

Hell yeah, welcome to the club!

Thanks, so when we skip warm ups do we, like, wait in our cars and watch through the front window to see when they're done? Or just leave the house late? :smugdog:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thanks, so when we skip warm ups do we, like, wait in our cars and watch through the front window to see when they're done? Or just leave the house late? :smugdog:

Play on phone in changing room.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Congrats man!

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC

Jack B Nimble posted:

Nah after a couple of weeks at purple you won't have to watch. You'll just know, like how my shoulder aches right before a storm.

Congrats, by the way!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
:mummyface: way to go

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, purple belt is when you should start taking ownership of your training and really develop your own game. How you skip warm-ups is up to you!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well I'm pretty sure I have turf toe and it hurts like hell so I'm guessing I won't be up for that competition that's like 2 weeks away. Probably gonna go to the doctor in a couple days when I get a chance...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

A little surprised to see Craig Jones and my coach giving each other a hard time in my gym this morning, but a thrill to see the leopard print bootie shorts in person.

Mannetosen
Aug 22, 2010

What's all this racket up here, Barnett? You watchin' your girl cartoons again?
Congrats! Purple belt is a big achievement.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Tyro posted:

Well I'm pretty sure I have turf toe and it hurts like hell so I'm guessing I won't be up for that competition that's like 2 weeks away. Probably gonna go to the doctor in a couple days when I get a chance...

tape it

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm an old man of 40 years and recently started attending my local judo classes. After only two months I have a bit of cauliflower that has formed in my left ear. It was a stupid thing.. we were practicing escaping from hold-downs and I dragged my ear across the mat. I then ignored the pain for two weeks before looking into it. I didn't realize it was something that could be addressed by draining the blood.

Long story short: I'd like to get some ear protectors to use for a year or so while I get more accustomed to grappling. Any recommendations?

Or if you have an alternative recommendation or advice, I'd love to hear that too!

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 6, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They make soft wrestling protectors, I'm prone to cauliflower ear myself and wore them for a little while.

For me, personally, I've had my ears drained twice and my ears, after three years, are only a little lumpier than when I started but it's a lot less of an issue nowadays because I can just sort of... stop people from squeezing my ears so much, both because I'm more skill ful but I'm also just more aware of when someone is squeezing a dumb headlock for no reason and I can just tap/ask to reset. So, yeah, I gained almost all of my cauliflower ear in my first year and now it's a lot less of an issue.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Oh I did, and I went to another class the next day and it seemed mostly ok. The last few days at work have been pretty painful though. Trying to figure out the line between "hurts" and "injured" is a bit harder now that I'm in my 40s.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

My coach told the story today of how, my first night, the guy teaching the fundamentals class was making everyone do lunge-squats down the mats and sprints back. I was never very athletic and, trying to sprint back, I lost my footing and did a full stride face plant. My coach, on the sidelines watching the class unfold, grimaced and thought to herself "gently caress, he's not signing up". Well:

Congrats!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

starkebn posted:

A little surprised to see Craig Jones and my coach giving each other a hard time in my gym this morning, but a thrill to see the leopard print bootie shorts in person.

Was it just a drop-in between flights or something?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

It was while no-one else was here, I was just doing the morning cleaning. He's in town for a seminar somewhere else (Base training centre?) and I guess my coach asked him to train. Competing at ADCC has it's advantages I suppose.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
JFYI there's an EBI this month and it's Absolute division

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also in sparring today myself and my opponent kept trading sweeps/reversals from bottom half in a chain that lasted nearly 3 minutes. It was very stupid but very fun.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So i learned a very valuable lesson yesterday, so I like to play with different grappling rules sets. I've done mma, combat jiu jitsu, sub only, different clothing, etc,etc and I like to play around in those spaces. Over the last few weeks in ibjjf gi ive been seeing what happebs if while on bottom what happens if i just put my hands and arms behind my head and basically the answer three things. 1) if theyre new or have no imagination its like an iron wall. Theyll try mount chokes but get rolled off 2) a little bit higher on the scale and theyll go knee on belly to crush it out of you, in which case if you can flex into it and not let them see you in pain theyll get bored and eventually cycle around to option 1. 3) the good people with imagination will try to crush a rib with their elbow from side forcing you to frame on them and gtfo. This leads to an easy arm capture.

This of course comes with the caveat that your chances of accidentally taking a shot to the face increases exponentially.

No big reason to post this but, i thought it was interesting how without strikes you can get away with truly ridiculous stuff if you dont care about points until you reach a certain level of opponent.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 7, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do you mean you lay your hands under your head like you're resting, flat on your back?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Do you mean you lay your hands under your head like you're resting, flat on your back?

Pretty much except I am fairly flexible so i kinda stack my arms under my head., so long as they dont spin for my legs or try to break my ribs its fairly defensible. My thought on how to deal with it would be to try to roll me up on to my side where my top arm would be no longer hidden but three weeks of experimenting and multiple different schools and experience levels and no one did it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My initial thought was start a paper cutter and go to side control but I'm constantly abandoning mount in favor of side control anyway because otherwise I get rolled over.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

My initial thought was start a paper cutter and go to side control but I'm constantly abandoning mount in favor of side control anyway because otherwise I get rolled over.

Its a good thought.
People try,
Its real hard to dig the collar out between my shoulders neck and head in this config. Youd be better off with trying to thread your or my lapel through the crook to pry my arm out. Or attempting the no gi variant where you crush the throat with forearm.

Im not saying the position is the silver bullet , top ten trick black belts hate or even something anyone should do, I just like playing around to see all the possibilities in grappling. Its just a weird quirky position that works out in a very very specific set of circumstances A) if theres no striking B) no leg attacks or worry about them C) high pain tolerence D) your opponent just doesnt know how to cope with shenanigans and E) you dont care about getting out of bottom at that specific point in time. F) points dont matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah no it's a neat experiment, I might try something similar just for laughs.