Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I do love me a good boom and that's a good 'un.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Reposting a classic

https://i.imgur.com/FYwcNwN.mp4

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

I like the new "Hot Wheels" industrial toys

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

It rolled off the table, it rolled on the floor
And then my poor meatball rolled out of the door

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

“Caterpillar warranty department, how can I help you?”

“What?”

… …

“You did what?”

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's more like "you did it for 20 minutes in an hour instead of our maximum 15? not a warranty issue, but here's the quote if you want us to repair it"

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010

quote:

bacteria have figured out how to digest lignin

Lignin my balls

If it comes around to a new industrial reboot and the previous methods cannot be used we will simply burn down every tree, root to twig to smelt up some pig iron and old scrounged up misc. from our many landfills, to one day build a singular pickup truck. Then do a world war for control of it.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

Cut the wrong wire.

Tools used are tools that shine glow

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

No reversing beepers, and is it just a global requirement for foundry workplaces to be as dark as possible at all times or something?

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

The Real Amethyst posted:

No reversing beepers, and is it just a global requirement for foundry workplaces to be as dark as possible at all times or something?

Probably just the camera exposure being knocked way down so the hot glowy bits don't blow out the entire image into unparseable white.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'd guess the heat wouldn't be friendly to the membranes in beeper speakers either.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

metal as gently caress, literally and figuratively

The Real Amethyst posted:

you want everything to be brightly well-lit while your primary job hazard is identifying glowing-hot metal?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

quote is not edit

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

KoRMaK posted:

https://i.imgur.com/jWWkKE6.mp4
occupational in that sense that the dog is probably working

Holy crap… thinking back to either “White Fang” or (more likely) “Call of the Wild” where I first learned this

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I'd guess the heat wouldn't be friendly to the membranes in beeper speakers either.
Also alarm fatigue. Once you have enough equipment moving around in a given area it's just constant beeping from all directions and people start to tune it out, at which point you lose the benefit while still keeping the ear piercing (sometimes actually to a dangerous level) noise.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

This looks like a Steel Mill Slag Barn (I just designed a ventilation system for one of these earlier this year). It truly is like being at the gates of Hell....

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Use piezos.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Reminder, just to head off any outraged posts: in this video the truck's brakes had failed. The driver was not intentionally trying to drive past the school bus to save time or something. You can hear the panic in his voice because he's terrified he's about to kill a child.

In hindsight it probably would have been better for him to drive off the road and stop the truck with the ditch or a tree, but a panicking brain is no good at seeing alternative solutions. No blame.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just shift it into reverse :rolleyes:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just shift it into reverse :rolleyes:

That's only going to result in completely loving up a $15k transmission. The momentum will chew right through the teeth on the reverse gear and keep on rolling.

Also reverse isn't synchronized so it's just going to make you grind the gears off before ever slipping in.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I thought truck brakes were supposed to close when they lost line pressure?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Ablative posted:

poo poo doesn't always work, and that guy had some real skills in the total-failure scenario

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ablative posted:

Looking at the trailer, it looks like that thing mostly hauls bulk media/trash and it's a daycab. It's probably a construction companies truck and they don't do upkeep, or the springs rusted away or have something holding them open.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Holy gently caress

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Ablative posted:

If they're adjusted correctly, yes.

Those were probably not adjusted correctly, or so worn that they couldn't create enough friction to stop, especially if he was loaded down heavy because there are no scales between points A and B.

E: it could also be the brake valve behind the pedal itself failed.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Kenning posted:

Holy gently caress

:yikes:

my wave machine is bridging everything and I put my hand down on a couple molten SAC solder balls last night and it was extremely unpleasant. Sometimes I hit myself with a 900F airgun in the finger or something and realize that there's no burn or blister and everything is numb because I cooked a small portion of the inside of my finger real fast.

Slamming your bare face into glowing molten whatever is a whole different level.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 7, 2022

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Kenning posted:

Holy gently caress

I remember a discussion about whether that person got their face melted or if they had a face shield that saved them. I think it looks like they have a face shield so that's good I spose.

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 7, 2022

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Shifty Nipples posted:

I remember a discussion about whether that person got their face melted or if they had a face shield that saved them.

I've done enough video review in my life that it looks like he was wearing a shield, but still, lol gently caress having any part of your body within a foot of that loving thing uncontained

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Shifty Nipples posted:

I remember a discussion about whether that person got their face melted or if they had a face shield that saved them.

If they got burned then it's evidence that they weren't working hard enough to develop protective sweat, and deserve to be fired.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
you can see the shield flip up after he smashes it into the red hot piece of iron so he's probably ok

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

Could you do this with poured gasoline alone, or is there something else in that pit? We know gas is the ingredient of choice when you want big fireballs but does it have that kind of percussive force when it's not contained in something? Of course I suppose it could be in some closed jerry cans or something, but that goes up awful simultaneously and awful quick.

Mythbusters did the "explosion in the sewer" experiment, and they found out that an explosion travels faster with something to agitate the fuel air mixture, i.e. junk in a pipe blows up faster than a clean pipe.

This science may or may not be applicable to a pile of irregularly-shaped objects as in the video.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Get your face off my fleshlight!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's only going to result in completely loving up a $15k transmission. The momentum will chew right through the teeth on the reverse gear and keep on rolling.

Also reverse isn't synchronized so it's just going to make you grind the gears off before ever slipping in.

I think it is pretty obvious he was joking.

Scratch Monkey posted:

you can see the shield flip up after he smashes it into the red hot piece of iron so he's probably ok

I don't know which would be worse. Getting third degree burns to your face or having a plastic shield melted into your flesh.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would think as quickly as he bounced off it the burn would be very superficial regardless of the heat. Not that it wouldn’t hurt but I don’t imagine it would be disfiguring.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Mistle posted:

Mythbusters did the "explosion in the sewer" experiment, and they found out that an explosion travels faster with something to agitate the fuel air mixture, i.e. junk in a pipe blows up faster than a clean pipe.

This science may or may not be applicable to a pile of irregularly-shaped objects as in the video.

Dumping a bunch of gas on stuff and giving it time to evaporate is dangerous as gently caress, I don’t think it needs any help to do what we see here.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
also the original "myth" setup was a hillbilly chased a racoon into some drainage pipe, and wanted to flush it out did the gas and fire.

they just ended up with a burned toy racoon and giving Buster his first burns. oh and they of course escalated to putting Buster and the racoon into a giant sabot so they get a decent launch.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I would think as quickly as he bounced off it the burn would be very superficial regardless of the heat. Not that it wouldn’t hurt but I don’t imagine it would be disfiguring.
I dunno man, the red-hot metal is probably going to be like 500 degrees C at least. I remember seeing a chart of temperature vs time at which various types of burns occur and they were all surprisingly quick.

Something like this

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

I dunno man, the red-hot metal is probably going to be like 500 degrees C at least. I remember seeing a chart of temperature vs time at which various types of burns occur and they were all surprisingly quick.

Something like this

Sure, but I’ve bounced my hand off an oven element before (supposedly around 1200f) and I’m left with a very superficial burn. It hurts for a minute but doesn’t blister and eventually dries up and falls off, but it’s never been deep. There just limitations on how quickly heat can propagate through a material. Not saying you’re not gonna get burned but I imagine the bonk to the head is worse than the burn he received.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 7, 2022

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Update to Disney's Fantasia: The Dance of the Meatsticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Sure, but I’ve bounced my hand off an oven element before (supposedly around 1200f) and I’m left with a very superficial burn. It hurts for a minute but doesn’t blister and eventually dries up and falls off, but it’s never been deep. There just limitations on how quickly heat can propagate through a material. Not saying you’re not gonna get burned but I imagine the bonk to the head is worse than the burn he received.

I bounced the inside of my arm off a salamander one night and it absolutely burned it on contact. You could smell it almost instantly. It wasn't any kind of full thickness and it only took a little while to heal but I still have scars from it.

He does appear to be wearing some form of PPE so that helps but you can get burned impressively quickly.