Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

davecrazy posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean?
History is written by the winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

davecrazy posted:

When you lose a war, there's no-one to appeal the verdict to. It's sort of a much less poetic version of "war is the last argument of kings".

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

so he plans to appeal his dumb purchase to the SC lmao

how much you wanna bet they hear the case?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Iamgoofball posted:

I'd be interested in your analysis of what basis the Court would have to assert jurisdiction over a Delaware state law contract dispute being heard in Delaware Chancery Court.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kalman posted:

I'd be interested in your analysis of what basis the Court would have to assert jurisdiction over a Delaware state law contract dispute being heard in Delaware Chancery Court.

The basis of "gently caress you we do what we want how we want and nobody will tell us otherwise" which this court has no qualms exercising.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

The basis of "gently caress you we do what we want how we want and nobody will tell us otherwise" which this court has no qualms exercising.

Name one case where the Supreme Court heard it without being one of the classes defined in Article III Section 2.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Iamgoofball posted:

No. He has recently become very concerned about nuclear war and controversially suggested that Ukraine just give Russia most of what they want. The backlash was very severe. Elon is probably still worried about nuclear war and has also been sulking about the bad reaction his suggestion got. This stupid tweet is probably somehow related to that.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Rigel posted:

No. He has recently become very concerned about nuclear war and controversially suggested that Ukraine just give Russia most of what they want. The backlash was very severe. Elon is probably still worried about nuclear war and has also been sulking about the bad reaction his suggestion got. This stupid tweet is probably somehow related to that.

Unless he's proposing private military action if he goes to SCOTUS and loses.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
The man does own icbms.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Rigel posted:

It's this. He got dumpstered on Twitter and is trying to change the subject.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Unormal posted:

The man does own icbms.

Starship is considered viable for USSF Rocket Cargo which is spec'd as an 85 ton payload to anywhere on earth within 1 hour. That's one hell of a daisy cutter even if his payload is conventional!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Kalman posted:

Name one case where the Supreme Court heard it without being one of the classes defined in Article III Section 2.

Espinoza?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Are some of you new to Musk? There's no real meaning to what he tweeted he's a moron.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
I always figured it was kind of dunning kreuger thing. He thinks he's smart at business, so he *must* be smart at everything else.

That or Russia told him they want to use SpaceX rockets, but the sanctions are stopping them.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

davecrazy posted:

"did u know that force exists?"

*slams another spoonful of captain crunch cereal*

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Unless you’re thinking of a different case, that was a constitutional challenge on the basis of the US constitution, which is well within A3S2.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Meatball posted:

I always figured it was kind of dunning kreuger thing. He thinks he's smart at business, so he *must* be smart at everything else.

That or Russia told him they want to use SpaceX rockets, but the sanctions are stopping them.
He’s not even that smart at business. At best, he’s lucky.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I always hear, even from his detractors, that he has a level of genius but... where?
He was born into wealth, got lucky with PayPal and now has immense wealth.

SpaceX and Tesla have both produced really good products... but how much of that is Elon other than providing the capital? Sounds like he just has tons of money to hire the actual smart people.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Doesn't Musk have Asperger's? He definitely comes across like a guy who is not great at reading the room.

Asperger's symptoms posted:

Problems making or maintaining friendships
Isolation or minimal interaction in social situations
Poor eye contact or the tendency to stare at others
Trouble interpreting gestures
Inability to recognize humor, irony, and sarcasm
Inappropriate behaviors or odd mannerisms
Problems expressing empathy, controlling emotions, or communicating feelings
Lack of common sense
Tendency to engage in one-sided conversations (about oneself)
Fascination with certain topics
Interpretation of information as literal
The preference for a strict schedule or routine

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I always hear, even from his detractors, that he has a level of genius but... where?
He was born into wealth, got lucky with PayPal and now has immense wealth.

SpaceX and Tesla have both produced really good products... but how much of that is Elon other than providing the capital? Sounds like he just has tons of money to hire the actual smart people.

They largely succeed despite Elon, not because of anything he brings to the table. Hell, a lot of why Tesla has such a deserved reputation for lousy QA is his meddling in production procedures and pushing unrealistic requirements on manufacturing, and I recall reading that everyone he worked with at Paypal regretted the experience.

He's a rich dumbass who lucked into success due to superficial nerd enthusiasm for Science of the FutureTM!

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 7, 2022

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The smartest thing Elon ever did was be born the son of an owner of a South African apartheid era emerald mine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

Doesn't Musk have Asperger's? He definitely comes across like a guy who is not great at reading the room.
I have Asperger’s and I promise you that he is just arrogant and not very smart

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

i am arrogant and not very smart and I promise you that this is correct, he has me disease

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m smarter than all you dumbasses but I’m not arrogant at all

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

FlamingLiberal posted:

I have Asperger’s and I promise you that he is just arrogant and not very smart

yeah, please, musk is the last person we want as the face of ASD. forget about him and watch a hannah gadsby

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

His idea of "business" is "write a check to take ownership of something someone else made, then say he made it".

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

being raised by someone like musk's dad will gently caress you up enough, but then you add on top of that the thing that billionaires do whether they know it or not where their lives begin to curate around only those who appeal to you by gladhanding, nervous emotional accommodation, and straight up sycophantry

even just a few years where people don't wanna talk over or correct you because they want to be cool with cool billionaire guy will gently caress you up unless you have a sufficiently self aware, humble, and protectively cynical nature, and the children of the super rich don't get this, they get "these are real people, these are clean my house and stay invisible people"

we don't need to go hunting through the DSM for which type of neurodivergence it represents imo

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Kalman posted:

Unless you’re thinking of a different case, that was a constitutional challenge on the basis of the US constitution, which is well within A3S2.

It was a case where a state supreme court interpreted state laws and the state constitution, a domain where SCOTUS traditionally has (and has even admitted it has) no jurisdiction. SCOTUS went "hey you know that 150 year old provision in your state constitution which is also duplicated in 3/4 of the constitutions of the other states? Even though this breaks our own past rulings, we just noticed actually it happens to violate the US Constitution based on our brand new interpretation of the 1st Amendment. Suck it." Seems to me that violates federalism even more than your case.

I don't think IAmgoofball was saying SCOTUS will create a new cause of action out of whole cloth beyond what is specified in Article III (correct me if I'm wrong), just that it will use whatever flimsy 'constitutionality' pretext it feels like to hear whatever case it wants to intervene in, exactly like it did in Espinoza. But if you really want that for some reason, Marbury v. Madison?

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 7, 2022

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

It was a case where a state supreme court interpreted state laws and the state constitution, a domain where SCOTUS traditionally has (and has even admitted it has) no jurisdiction. SCOTUS went "hey you know that 150 year old provision in your state constitution which is also duplicated in 3/4 of the constitutions of the other states? Even though this breaks our own past rulings, we just noticed actually it happens to violate the US Constitution based on our brand new interpretation of the 1st Amendment. Suck it." Seems to me that violates federalism even more than your case.

I don't think IAmgoofball was saying SCOTUS will create a new cause of action out of whole cloth beyond what is specified in Article III (correct me if I'm wrong), just that it will use whatever flimsy 'constitutionality' pretext it feels like to hear whatever case it wants to intervene in, exactly like it did in Espinoza. But if you really want that for some reason, Marbury v. Madison?

The Montana court said "this doesn't violate our constitution nor does it violate the First Amendment." The plaintiffs appealed it to the Supreme Court claiming it violated the First Amendment. That's quite neatly a "case[] ... arising under this Constitution." SCOTUS doesn't have jurisdiction to interpret a state law or constitution as applied within the state, but they have always had jurisdiction to examine whether those comply with the U.S. Constitution. And in the Espinoza case, the Court quite explicitly did not rule on the Montana constitutional provision, they just said the state law violates the Constitution.

There's no jurisdictional problem there - the fact that it's a poo poo interpretation of the free exercise clause doesn't mean it falls outside of the ordinary run of cases where a state law or constitutional provision is challenged as violating the federal constitution.

Musk's case lacks any remotely plausible connection to a Constitutional violation, even one the current court would consider plausible.

(Marbury is an even weirder one to point to, since it was explicitly looking at a Congressional enactment for compliance with the US constitution. Which is a case "arising under ... the laws of the United States."

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

They largely succeed despite Elon, not because of anything he brings to the table. Hell, a lot of why Tesla has such a deserved reputation for lousy QA is his meddling in production procedures and pushing unrealistic requirements on manufacturing, and I recall reading that everyone he worked with at Paypal regretted the experience.

He's a rich dumbass who lucked into success due to superficial nerd enthusiasm for Science of the FutureTM!

Yeah, Musk and his companies are basically the Chris Robert's Star Citizen of tech that actually exists, if only because a lot more money is involved.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Meatball posted:

His idea of "business" is "write a check to take ownership of something someone else made, then say he made it".
Exactly

When we see him do a project that is ‘his’, it’s stupid poo poo like The Boring Company

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Are some of you new to Musk? There's no real meaning to what he tweeted he's a moron.

This is true but bc hes the richest man alive we have to pretend his words have meaning bc his insane rambling might actually start a war or some bullshit. Its hosed up as hell, any non hellworld would have executed him by now

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is it possible to put sanctions on Supreme Court Justices?

If the US is putting sanctions on Iran over women killed for not wearing hijabs, and women’s rights are under consideration and the reason, why can’t you sanction the court justices that risk the lives of women here in the US and remain consistent?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gatts posted:

Is it possible to put sanctions on Supreme Court Justices?

If the US is putting sanctions on Iran over women killed for not wearing hijabs, and women’s rights are under consideration and the reason, why can’t you sanction the court justices that risk the lives of women here in the US and remain consistent?

No. Not because they are supreme court justices, but because they are American citizens. There's all kinds of poo poo the government can do to foreigners, including economic sanctions for political activities against our stated national interest which we don't like, that are just not even options at all for citizens.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Can drone strike US citizens anytime though, oddly enough

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If Texas weren't a state we'd have sanctioned them over things like executing the mentally handicapped. I'd love to watch them succeed and the subsequent campaign for the liberation of the democracy-loving people of Texas (and their oil.)

Staluigi posted:

we don't need to go hunting through the DSM for which type of neurodivergence it represents imo

We can say that he's a stupid rear end in a top hat with too much money, and leave it at that - it's honest and correct, and doesn't invite libel or slander because both statements are 1) true and 2) don't besmirch his reputation as a stupid rich rear end in a top hat.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rigel posted:

No. Not because they are supreme court justices, but because they are American citizens. There's all kinds of poo poo the government can do to foreigners, including economic sanctions for political activities against our stated national interest which we don't like, that are just not even options at all for citizens.

Or more succinctly the f in OFAC means foreign

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

moths posted:

If Texas weren't a state we'd have sanctioned them over things like executing the mentally handicapped. I'd love to watch them succeed and the subsequent campaign for the liberation of the democracy-loving people of Texas (and their oil.)

1) Did you post this in the thread / forum you meant to post it in?
2) Don't be horrible.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

moths posted:

why can't we do that? the EU can... say strong words and maybe do something about the governments of Hungary and Poland, we should be able to do maybe something to Texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

VSOKUL girl posted:

why can't we do that? the EU can... say strong words and maybe do something about the governments of Hungary and Poland, we should be able to do maybe something to Texas

Republicans would bust a gasket and scream that they're singled out, then would identify a state that has similar problems, that's typically democrat run, to whataboutism and muddy the water.

Anything that's put in place to stop it gets rescinded by the next Republican admin, and they start sanctioning blue states for bullshit.