Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

last time i played kenshi i made a character who was so stealthy she could sprint right into most any faction leader's room, knock them out, carry them out of town without being spotted, and then naruto running all the way across a desert to my base to put them in a meat grinder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's really not much that you need to know for Kenshi, it looks far more complex than it actually is - in reality there's not a whole lot of important things going on mechanically :v:

1) Almost nothing in the game can actually kill you. The only way you can die, on default settings, is getting eaten by the small number of creatures that will eat you, which is like 2 or 3 enemies in the whole game.

2) You get better at things by doing them. For example, you get tougher by getting beaten up. So like, getting in fights against hordes of starving dust bandits right outside the hub is a legit way to progress your character becase they will beat the crap out of you then leave you there to rest and heal up. You increase Strength by running around with a lot of weight in your bag, etc.

That's pretty much everything you need to know for the entire game. So for example to get a solid start going, have all of your party members mine copper outside of the staring town. Sell the copper to make money. Have one of your characters ferry it between a vendor and the mining point in a big backpack. Keep that backpack stocked with a bunch of ore at all times just to weigh it down so that person gets stronger and faster from all the ferrying, etc.

Everything else you can explore and learn at your own pace but it's very much a game where... that's pretty much it, and how much fun you have with it is dependent on your ability to make up and follow your own goals and stuff like that.

e: Also the combat mechanics are incredibly horrendously bad in every conceivable way and incredibly not fun to engage with, both while struggling to raise your combat skills and when they are maxed out. It is not worth the time or effort to understand it on a mechanical level, and it's best dealt with by massively overtraining everyone and/or kiting with crossbows.

e2: I think Kenshi is an extremely bad video game that has a lot of novelty factor with how weird its training and character progression are but ultimately there's nothing exciting or interesting or particularly reactive to do in the entire world and there's just pretty much no game to it at all. I played 38.7 hours of it to form this opinion. It's the video game equivalent of having a bunch of action figures and a big diorama to play with them in, everything that actually happens is going to happen primarily in your imagination and not in the actual game. The building and construction system sucks and is pretty much non-existent, the tech tree sucks, the settlement management sucks and is pretty much non-existent, there are no meaningful interactions between factions, nothing is as dynamic as it appears to be, etc.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 7, 2022

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Kenshi is good

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Bit late on the Barotrauma discourse, but it's a great time with ~4 people. Ideally 5 so you can have one person on every main job, but it's doable with 2-3 people or even solo offline if you can get used to managing task priorities for the dumbass bots.

Bots can do three things very effectively with minimal intervention as long as they've been told to: man the turrets, repair machinery, and weld leaks in the hull. They can be pretty expedient with first aid too, but tend to be a little overzealous with application of healing items. The biggest thing about bots, though, is that they don't respawn. Players do, albeit with extremely harsh skill penalties, but at least it doesn't put a dent of $3,000 in the coffers every time one of you snuffs it.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

computer_ posted:

Kenshi is good

Kenshi is good and also a poorly thought out pile of garbage.

edit: I don't think this is a particularly unique state of affairs, honestly. A lot of my favorite games, ie: modern Fallouts, Dwarf Fortress, STALKER, Rimworld, Owlcat's Pathfinder games, are in a similar state of being magically spectacular and also barely coherent mobile junk-heaps in their design or technical aspects.

Sinatrapod fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 7, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I'll wait for Jack and Stux to weigh in before forming an opinion on Kenshi.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I like the idea of Kenshi more than I like the idea of playing Kenshi. I tired in the past and it's UI and general presentation threw me and I refunded it.

I imagine it's a lot of fun for some people, but I just can't get into the 'jank' it has. I recommend watching some youtube stuff around it to see how it plays, what people end up doing, etc.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

My best Kenshi memories are watching ambigousamphibian playthroughs. Much better than actually playing it myself.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Anyone play this game called Kenshi?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/233860/Kenshi/

It’s got stellar reviews and says it’s a rts/rpg

its an extremely sandbox rpg, mixed w something like rimworld. the rts tag kind of works, because you can end up controlling a lot of characters/units, building a base etc. but you can also play the game with one character, never get into making your own base and live out of established towns etc. theres no direct storyline, youre just dumped into the world, and theres no quests either. you can meet npcs who directly ask you to do something, or overhear something, and then decide to do that if you want but theres no formal quest tracking or systems. its also extraordinarily punishing, you start off incredibly weak, and every stat requires training through doing to become more effective. you have to get into fights to get better at fighting, even though you will lose every fight. this means avoiding enemies like a lot of the wildlife, or slavers, who will either eat you or take you away rather than just leaving you once theyve beaten you up. if that sounds very fun you have the correct brain to spend 100s of hours on kenshi. if it sounds like absolute misery, probably try before you buy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

there's nothing exciting or interesting or particularly reactive to do in the entire world and there's just pretty much no game to it at all. I played 38.7 hours of it to form this opinion. It's the video game equivalent of having a bunch of action figures and a big diorama to play with them in, everything that actually happens is going to happen primarily in your imagination and not in the actual game. The building and construction system sucks and is pretty much non-existent, the tech tree sucks, the settlement management sucks and is pretty much non-existent, there are no meaningful interactions between factions, nothing is as dynamic as it appears to be, etc.

have to disagree, the world is very reactive. the save ive been playing for the past year, ive entirely wiped out the holy nation and imprisoned their leaders, and their former settlements have been taken over by other factions that im aligned with. its one of the best parts of the game: seeing the world actually adjust to your actions, and there are mods available that push it even further if you want.

and the factions do interact. its completely possible to find a settlement destroyed by another npc faction having attacked it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

CHAOS;HEAD NOAH for PC to launch via Steam as previously planned on October 7

'Valve has re-examined CHAOS;HEAD NOAH and decided to reverse course.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

GreenBuckanneer posted:

BREAKING NEWS: Coup at Valve sees Anti-Anime Cabal removed from power as Schoolgirl Lingerie faction takes over.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kenshi is one of those games that I've watched a lot of people play a lot of on youtube but when I finally decided to buy it after hearing near universal praise for it here I discovered it's pretty much loving awful to play and I should just leave it to the people making content and I certainly shouldn't have taken longer than two hours trying to see if I could learn to like it. More power to you if you like Kenshi and can play/understand Kenshi but woof that game is not my kind of game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

In different news, tales of symphonia needs an auto text advance. Yes I know it's an 18 year old game. I don't care.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Kenshi is a great game if you have the time and inclination to really obsess over something. Like if you have a whole weekend with no plans and when you aren't playing Kenshi you are looking up information online about Kenshi, when you stop for lunch you are thinking about what to do next in Kenshi. If you approach games more casually or have time constraints it will be harder to get into the zone.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Pwnstar posted:

when you aren't playing Kenshi you are looking up information online about Kenshi, when you stop for lunch you are thinking about what to do next in Kenshi.

:haibrow:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

FishMcCool posted:

BREAKING NEWS: Coup at Valve sees Anti-Anime Cabal removed from power as Schoolgirl Lingerie faction takes over.

There is a curse, it goes: May you live in interesting times!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I can’t enjoy goalless sandbox like kenshi. Maybe if someone mod a story into it to give me reason to visit various places, and throw in an invading big bad that I have to build up a resistance force against it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm the same way with sandbox games. Too directionless

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish I knew who to contact about turning my Kenshi code into something Steam recognizes. I bought that weirdo bad great game in 2013 when the developer was very ardent about not putting it on any platform like Steam. I'm looking at the email now and it links to the indiedb demo file in which you input the code to unlock the full game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Stux posted:

its an extremely sandbox rpg, mixed w something like rimworld. the rts tag kind of works, because you can end up controlling a lot of characters/units, building a base etc. but you can also play the game with one character, never get into making your own base and live out of established towns etc.

This is gonna sound petty (and maybe I was missing some control options or something, didn't spend a lot of time with it) but big part of why I couldn't get into Kenshi was that the interface/controls made it feel like I wasn't controlling a character and instead I was issuing orders.

I guess when you get into the portion of the game where you're controlling multiple characters this makes sense and may be necessary, but the quality that often pushes me over the edge and makes me see through the jank in weird games is a certain level of immersiveness that makes my brain go into "RP mode" and that extra layer of separation in Kenshi made it difficult. Not sure if it would actually be playable but a first-person or over-the-shoulder mode in that game would definitely interest me

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Jimbot posted:

I wish I knew who to contact about turning my Kenshi code into something Steam recognizes. I bought that weirdo bad great game in 2013 when the developer was very ardent about not putting it on any platform like Steam. I'm looking at the email now and it links to the indiedb demo file in which you input the code to unlock the full game.

Forward the email to gaben@valvesoftware.com

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Jimbot posted:

The developers actually have a forum for this sort of thing. Apparently.

According to the FAQ there, old keys should either work on Steam directly (did you try it?) or you can contact them via email at [ orders -at- bmtmicro.com ] with all relevant information.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 7, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

explosivo posted:

Kenshi is one of those games that I've watched a lot of people play a lot of on youtube but when I finally decided to buy it after hearing near universal praise for it here I discovered it's pretty much loving awful to play and I should just leave it to the people making content and I certainly shouldn't have taken longer than two hours trying to see if I could learn to like it. More power to you if you like Kenshi and can play/understand Kenshi but woof that game is not my kind of game.

it requires an exceptionally large brain to understnad

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nyaa posted:

I can’t enjoy goalless sandbox like kenshi. Maybe if someone mod a story into it to give me reason to visit various places, and throw in an invading big bad that I have to build up a resistance force against it.

there is a story its just not focused on you or thrown into your face in cutscenes. in my first play through i kept getting attacked by slavers. while i was recovering in a town i heard some people talking about an antislaver faction led by a guy called tinfist, who lived in the mountains. i decided to track them down, and treked south to find them. when i made it to their base i met tinfist, who asked me to help them dismantle the united cities, whos infastructure was built on slavery. he tasked me with first taking out their peripheral towns, which is where their agriculture was, to weaken the cities. after i had finally gotten rid of all their food production, many of their cities fell into disrepair, and tinfist then instructed me to begin the push on their main cities. as i took them out one by one, the anti slavers moved in. they began patrolling the region to stop the slaver guilds, and they took over a long abandoned city and rebuilt it as the free city. the other cities once liberated came under control of the previously enslaved peasants themselves.

i understand none of this matters thoguh becuasue there werent 50 insipid cutscenes where an npc turns to the camera and tells you what to do, and that despite npcs literally asking you to do things and reacting/rewarding you for it, theres no quest list with a check list and a big arrow telling you where to go. and because of this, theres no story, or direction to the game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also if you build your own base, you are required to build up a resistance force, because various factions will come by and threaten you and ask for tribute, or straight up attack you. this will increase in severity if you retaliate and go on the offensive and attack their towns. if you kidnap and imprision one of their leaders they will mount an elite force to free them etc. you also need to go out and explore the various ruins and areas to be able to continue progressing the tech tree, and to find the best gear as the very top tier items are not craftable. its in fact better at all of this, than most other games, which is why it owns.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Potionomics (thumbs up, not my cup of tea tho): This game has a lot of love and care put into it. It feels like the actual shop and brewing mechanics are a bit simple, and the full game only promises 20 total types of potions you can make, but it might also be a shorter experience. It hopes to win you over with its charm instead, and boy does it have it! Lovely character designs with the most fun character animation I've seen since The Great Ace Attorney, and big personalities to go with them. The load times seem like they'll be a bother if you don't have a fast SSD, hopefully they can tighten them up post-launch. The game is as much about time management as it is the deck-based haggling and shop upgrading, with cauldron brewing taking time, visiting vendors taking time, opening the shop taking time, etc. But at least in the demo, it was sort of railroaded and you couldn't really mess up. Like, the amount of time it took to brew a potion was the exact amount of time it took to visit a vendor, and open up your shop to sell what you already had. If the full game doesn't add a couple of time actions that don't quite sync up (thus forcing some thought/strategizing), then the time aspect's going to feel a bit pointless.

Flowstone Saga (thumbs up, added to wishlist): Zircon was a mainstay of the OC Remix community, and then built up a very popular (at least I assume) VST developer named Impact Soundworks, most known for their Shreddage virtual guitars. But that I guess wasn't enough for them, and they wanted to be a jack of even more trades, so they became a game developer as well, and if you're a roguelike fan you might have heard of, or played, Tangledeep. Since Tangledeep, Zircon's been working on a hybrid of JRPG and Tetris over the last couple of years, but after feedback from the Kickstarter demo had them go back to the drawing board, I honestly had forgotten about the game until its sudden reappearance this week. Whatever was changed between then and now seems to have paid off, because I really liked this demo. The movement is a little too 8-way digital outside of battles for my liking, but I did like that it was a standalone story for the demo, with an island that had a lot of side paths to treasure chests (and more battles). And I sought out battles because, well, Tetris is fun y'all. You clear lines to deal damage to enemies, and you line up 3 or more gems to increase your Heat, which means you deal more and more damage with line clears as your Heat goes up. This means that you don't have to just build up to 4-stack line clears, although you certainly can. If you keep building up your heat, you can also dispatch enemies quickly with quicker and smaller line clears. You also have a special ability based on your job class (because of course there is going to be a job system), and a one-use item in battles that can bail you out depending on the item used. The Tetris gameplay is fine (apparently Zircon has said that having a ghost silhouette of your piece to help you line your drop up is not possible, because the Tetris Company has a trademark on that, fuckin pig fuckers) and addictive, and the music is a treat. Flowstone's definitely back on my radar, although the store page's 2022 release date sounds a little optimistic, I guess we'll see if that's still true.

9 Years of Shadows (thumbs sort of up, kept on wishlist): Ok... they fixed the one major issue preventing Deck owners from playing the demo. However major bugs still exist, which is alarming for a game that was originally set to release in 3 days (now a month away). A frequent bug prevented me from opening the menu, the button just wouldn't work. The magic bar is supposed to recharge whenever you deal damage to an enemy, but if it hits 0, it won't recharge anymore, and I don't think this is intentional, because it doesn't recharge if you lose one of your two hearts either (the way health works in the game, is your teddy bear's magic acts as a health bar, so it drains on taking damage as well as casting magic, and then if you take a hit while the magic bar is drained, you lose a heart). The gameplay is fine, the combat is mostly fun, it's of course gorgeous and the characters are interesting. But if they don't get these bugs under control, it's going to ruin the game.

Forever Skies (will wait on reviews): The gameplay is alright although the amount you can do on a given structure is pretty limited. I guess this is meant to be more like Raft than Subnautica, so I'm a little disappointed. The game basically describes itself as a sandbox when it turns the time limit on and I'm not really a sandbox gamer.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 7, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

On a similar note to what Stux was saying about kenshi, I was trying Wasteland remastered last night and I just think it's too old for me.

It's cute there's a board miniature of the party Hopping around the map but is so old and clunky and lacking a main story quest that you're just thrown to the wolves with all these different systems and having to figure out wtf is going on on your own, I just don't have the patience for that. Even board games come with a quick start guide

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I'm one of those people who lives and dies for Rimworld, bought Kenshi from what I've read from goons, played for two hours, and hated it and never played it again.

The back and forth the last couple pages have made me switch between wanting to try it again and not wanting to try it again like four times.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

GreenBuckanneer posted:

does that include allowing the sketchy DLC, or just the main game?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jelly posted:

I'm one of those people who lives and dies for Rimworld, bought Kenshi from what I've read from goons, played for two hours, and hated it and never played it again.

The back and forth the last couple pages have made me switch between wanting to try it again and not wanting to try it again like four times.

:same:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you need to have a very specific level of derangement to enjoy kenshi but if you do, its truly godlike gaming.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Pretty much agree with all takes on Kenshi. There isn't really a middle ground with it. It is pretty easy to mod tho so a lot of issues people may have with it can be simply eliminated. I only have 120 hours in it but it's been some of the best time burning gaming sessions I've ever had.

Also excited for the next Rimworld expansion.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ymgve posted:

does that include allowing the sketchy DLC, or just the main game?

No idea but there's this review

https://www.kirikiribasara.com/2022/10/06/chaoshead-noah-review-a-masterpiece-marred/

They really like the game, just not this release

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Radiation Cow posted:

My best Kenshi memories are watching ambigousamphibian playthroughs. Much better than actually playing it myself.

Absolutely, yes, and it also made me love ambiguousamphibian.

The torso solo run is riveting.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Givin posted:

Pretty much agree with all takes on Kenshi. There isn't really a middle ground with it. It is pretty easy to mod tho so a lot of issues people may have with it can be simply eliminated. I only have 120 hours in it but it's been some of the best time burning gaming sessions I've ever had.

Also excited for the next Rimworld expansion.

rimworld announcing its new dlc is out in a few weeks just as i start a new acs save is a criminal act ag ainst my person.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Neat.

https://twitter.com/Canadianguyehh/status/1578430003850620928?s=20&t=anV5GgzAn7g7obnRkaDoRQ

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

I wanted to like this game so much but all the levels were designed by trolls. You can be extremely careful looking for each box to try and get the gem at the end but there will almost always be one or two that are hidden out of the camera frame or in places you would never find without a guide. Doesn't help that levels are much longer than the original games, it just got demoralizing going slowly trying to check every possible nook for boxes and then seeing 255/257 at the end anyway.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Collectathons suck rear end and always sucked rear end. The only reason why people still buy them is because they were stockholm syndrome'ed by them as children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

theyre fun