Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

sophon in the machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Armadillo Tank posted:

the fact they emit photons (visible) means they interact with the electroweak force and have effective mass

they are physical

the means of production of it might not be a physical we can interact with

I think it is more accurate to say that they definitely have a physical component.

If the theory that they possess tech that can directly gently caress with perception and memory is true, they may be entirely physical but I'm not prepared to rule out a metaphysical component as well.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

so, what, like photons have spirits or sumpthin

cmaaaaaaaaan

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Armadillo Tank posted:

post reminds me: since UFOs can gently caress with nuclear weapon systems this also means they can gently caress with the electronics in computational physics modeling

this means they are entirely capable of preventing discoveries or retarding exploratory research

uaps sent the super mario 64 bitflip to gently caress with speedrunners

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rickshaw posted:

Oh, definitely not as far as I've seen.

Dolan was on Theories of Everything last year and when asked about Lazar said "yes, I think I believe Lazar's story." Dude's been hooked like the rest of em :(

He excuses Lazar's lying about his education with "it was the 80s, everyone lied!" And says Lazar was the first person to bring Area 51 and UFOs into the public which naw, people were seeing U2s there decades before and thinking they were UFOs.

Its just sad that someone like Dolan who generally seems like a reasonably thorough researcher is such a dupe for ol lying Bob.

Human.Frank
Jun 2, 2022

Armadillo Tank posted:

post reminds me: since UFOs can gently caress with nuclear weapon systems this also means they can gently caress with the electronics in computational physics modeling

this means they are entirely capable of preventing discoveries or retarding exploratory research

At the very least they would have access to the internet and would be able to shitpost with the best of us.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

uaps sent the super mario 64 bitflip to gently caress with speedrunners

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228468728_Performance_and_Quality_of_Random_Number_Generators

i was banned from twitter for saying historically accurate things about the queen

while i was there i found d thread from a physics researched talking about outcome variance in computational quantum chemistry that was heavily (~10% diff) effected in result by different RNG system picked

also i just got work so i can't post

not sure if that is the right article but i can't check :(

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

That's not really how modeling in science works. What the scientists do is observe something, write down the numbers, and then try to come up with a model that spits out curves which fit the observed numbers. It's even more boring than it sounds. You don't get some amazing new breakthrough theory from the models, so there would be no reason to magic field hack all the computers to prevent the model from spitting out the secrets.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Lazar’s critical error was claiming to be a physicist rather than an engineer

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

radar came here to learn the secret of ligma

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Rah! posted:

radar came here to learn the secret of ligma

what's

the secret

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

A lot like the prison planet stuff

Physics experiment falsification is hard to verify

Prison planet can be verified by turning off your monitor and going outside

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slavvy posted:

Physics experiment falsification is hard to verify

Prison planet can be verified by turning off your monitor and going outside

never

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

here's a lost time story that is pretty out there
https://www.reddit.com/r/Experiencers/comments/xxnphk/i_cant_believe_im_posting_here_no_offense_to/

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/rosscoulthart/status/1578461335255674880?s=20&t=sxDhG1C0CqoUBhLZenHSCQ

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

https://reddit.com/r/aliens/comments/xxdnch/disclosure_is_here/

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Yes.

if there are UAPs in a war zone where the Russian army is directly engaging Ukraine armed by NATO as a proxy, this is exactly where I'd assume that the UAPs are, in fact, just US black tech devices of some kind. As opposed to aliens buzzing a ground war in europe. But, maybe the alien craft is being driven by Gérard of Amber and watching terrestrial ground wars is the whole reason he's here

Interesting theoretical OSINT project comparing known artillery battery positions, munition types, and direction of fire over the period of time the observatory was reportedly seeing these things.

That might be too many speculative variables to produce anything worthwhile, but it does feel odd for Avi to just chalk the entire report up to "artillery" while providing no further details and also not having any kind of background in military hardware that'd give that assertion weight.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

lol oh no my guy reading Zeceriah Stitchen books

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Pryor on Fire posted:

That's not really how modeling in science works. What the scientists do is observe something, write down the numbers, and then try to come up with a model that spits out curves which fit the observed numbers. It's even more boring than it sounds. You don't get some amazing new breakthrough theory from the models, so there would be no reason to magic field hack all the computers to prevent the model from spitting out the secrets.

Look at this buffoon

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Was this posted? https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/physics/2022/press-release/ Local realism fake lol

Non-local consciousness moves ever closer to the realm of repute :lsd:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Rickshaw posted:

Look at this buffoon

cargo cult science

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I loving hate lee adama so much

so much

e: also lol at the idea that there is "nothing in our solar system that can sustain us" like come the gently caress on we know what isn't true

Human.Frank
Jun 2, 2022

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Was this posted? https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/physics/2022/press-release/ Local realism fake lol

"" posted:

One experiment used signals from distant galaxies to control the filters
and ensure the signals could not affect each other.
whoops

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

weird stuff

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tighclops posted:

I loving hate lee adama so much

so much

e: also lol at the idea that there is "nothing in our solar system that can sustain us" like come the gently caress on we know what isn't true

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

remember when he got fat for a season?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fat adama best adama lol

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

hay guys, I'm lee adama

*gets fat as hell*
*sacrifices the newer, nicer ship to save the old busted one that was just slammed into the atmosphere*

Bob Socko has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Oct 7, 2022

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Fly Molo posted:

fat adama best adama lol

The best part of this is like two episodes later they have him completely ripped again in the gym saying something like "boy am I never letting that happen again"

I think his actor did a great job with what they gave him but that character is responsible for the final destruction of space fairing technological human civilization because he couldn't imagine anything better

The ultimate lib

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pontificating rear end posted:

These records probably exist on dozens of computers, having countless redundant and mirrored copies. Entering data into the system would be easy, but deleting records will almost certainly be extremely hard if not impossible. There's definitely no centralized unified system of college records, going back decades.

They probably exist on exactly one computer that's still running windows 98 and is stuffed in the back of a closet

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

They probably exist on exactly one computer that's still running windows 98 and is stuffed in the back of a closet

this but Windows 3.1

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tighclops posted:

The best part of this is like two episodes later they have him completely ripped again in the gym saying something like "boy am I never letting that happen again"

I think his actor did a great job with what they gave him but that character is responsible for the final destruction of space fairing technological human civilization because he couldn't imagine anything better

The ultimate lib

liberals would literally prefer going back to the stone age and dying of dysentery over treating their labor (space robots) like intelligent beings with rights. it’s very sad

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

an explainer for the simple minded among us (me)
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-universe-is-not-locally-real-and-the-physics-nobel-prize-winners-proved-it/

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

You know, if Hoffman is right (he is) you would naturally expect nature to diverge from what we consider intuitive or natural or reasonable as you push to length and time scales outside our normal perception, i.e. the very large and the very small

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I am tumbling down a gnosticism rabbit hole

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Gnosticism is fascinating if nothing else.

Honestly complex and systemic cosmologies generally own.

Like, Gnosticism is a good entry point, but kabballah, the older strains of astrology, neoplatonism, and a few others are fascinating in that there is a systemic understanding of the cosmos. It's not merely heralding specific mythologies as true. I think some people forget that those old dead dudes more or less had the same brains we do, and the educated had far fewer distractions between them and just thinking about this poo poo all day, and those rabbit holes are loving fascinating even if you're unable to put any stock in them as approximations of reality, they are elegant in their design.

I swear, between orthodox christianity and post-enlightenment rationalism has more or less slaughtered our ability to imagine other systemic understandings of reality even though they're really cool!!!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

sharknado slashfic posted:

https://leesalutes.ytmnd.com/

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

watch out for archons

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Riot Bimbo posted:

Gnosticism is fascinating if nothing else.

Honestly complex and systemic cosmologies generally own.

Like, Gnosticism is a good entry point, but kabballah, the older strains of astrology, neoplatonism, and a few others are fascinating in that there is a systemic understanding of the cosmos. It's not merely heralding specific mythologies as true. I think some people forget that those old dead dudes more or less had the same brains we do, and the educated had far fewer distractions between them and just thinking about this poo poo all day, and those rabbit holes are loving fascinating even if you're unable to put any stock in them as approximations of reality, they are elegant in their design.

I swear, between orthodox christianity and post-enlightenment rationalism has more or less slaughtered our ability to imagine other systemic understandings of reality even though they're really cool!!!

I'm (was?) nominally christian but honestly this makes so much more sense then the christian interpretation of the bible, and frankly the bible makes so much more sense (as a "document") when you read what was in the directors cut. I was actually reading Manly P Hall's Secret Teachings of All the Ages kabbalah chapters which lead me into gnosticism.

blatman posted:

watch out for archons

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm (was?) nominally christian but honestly this makes so much more sense then the christian interpretation of the bible, and frankly the bible makes so much more sense (as a "document") when you read what was in the directors cut. I was actually reading Manly P Hall's Secret Teachings of All the Ages kabbalah chapters which lead me into gnosticism.

:hai:

I read the bible as the esoteric document it is now, it's not about what is "in" and what is "out", and some of the apocrypha is apocrypha for a reason. Some of the infant gospels are just bad, even as this stuff goes, really bad. Jesus fanfic, really.

But like, I earnestly think the value of these documents is to contextualize the movement. We are so far removed from the time, place, and culture of both the OT and NT, and American Christians especially are uninterested in that context, but merely having it radically changes how you read the material.

You had this de-centralized grass roots thing that got co-opted by the roman state, but a Christian in Alexandria, a Christian in Corinth, and a Christian in Jerusalem, for a long time, really only had Jesus between them in common. It's an interesting "what if" exercise to ponder these texts as part of a different orthodoxy than the one we got.

I feel like by the time we get the Nicene creed, it's largely positioned to serve the ends of the state more than earnest spiritual purpose, so going to the non-canon documents helps to figure out what was actually subversive about Christianity to the Roman state. Sects like Sethian gnosticism, where the Gods of Greece and Rome are both extant & evil kind of re-contextualizes its suppression, for example