Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I reinstalled the game to give it a try, and the high points were, it's still Overwatch, Mystery Heroes is still in, and in a very pleasant surprise, Mystery Heroes doesn't give a single poo poo who you've got unlocked.

The downside, and it's major, is that after just one evening playing, I miss the lootboxes.

I played enough to clear three Daily Challenges and got up to rank 3 on the battle pass. In OW1, that would've been four lootboxes -- 2 level-ups and 6 Arcade wins. Four lootboxes means I would've gotten 16 things, even if any amount of them would've been dupes.

My haul for the night: one player icon.

This seems like an insane grind for very little reward. Pay for the battle pass or get next to nothing at extremely spaced out intervals. Even if you do pay for the battle pass, get the same cosmetics as everyone else. Want to get what you want for the hero you like best? Get hosed, buddy -- you get 60 coins a week. Max. If you grind eleven challenges, every single week. A single skin costs 2000 coins.

So basically I'm looking at a new game where my choices are to get absolutely no cosmetics, or pay money every nine goddamn weeks to get the same cosmetics as everyone else, where if I grind like a madman day in and day out, I can have one skin of my choosing per year. As a treat. Oh, and also if I don't want to pay money and I fall behind on the grind, I can get locked out of entire goddamn heroes, possibly permanently? Or, at the very least, judging by skin costs, without shelling out an exorbitant amount of real money later?

gently caress this. Rather than playing for a while until something else comes out that grabs my attention for a bit or I get sick or just don't want to play and I fall unrecoverably behind on the grind and can't catch up, why don't I just skip to the end and stop playing right away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Does crossplay allow console players to play with pcplayers in comp now? That seems like an oversight. Console comp was a lot softer and pretty fun when you only played against console pool so thats a bummer. It also runs surprisingly well on switch but screw queing comp if its a global pool

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CapnAndy posted:

I reinstalled the game to give it a try, and the high points were, it's still Overwatch, Mystery Heroes is still in, and in a very pleasant surprise, Mystery Heroes doesn't give a single poo poo who you've got unlocked.

The downside, and it's major, is that after just one evening playing, I miss the lootboxes.

I played enough to clear three Daily Challenges and got up to rank 3 on the battle pass. In OW1, that would've been four lootboxes -- 2 level-ups and 6 Arcade wins. Four lootboxes means I would've gotten 16 things, even if any amount of them would've been dupes.

This seems like an insane grind for very little reward. Pay for the battle pass or get next to nothing at extremely spaced out intervals. Even if you do pay for the battle pass, get the same cosmetics as everyone else. Want to get what you want for the hero you like best? Get hosed, buddy -- you get 60 coins a week. Max. If you grind eleven challenges, every single week. A single skin costs 2000 coins.

So basically I'm looking at a new game where my choices are to get absolutely no cosmetics, or pay money every nine goddamn weeks to get the same cosmetics as everyone else, where if I grind like a madman day in and day out, I can have one skin of my choosing per year. As a treat. Oh, and also if I don't want to pay money and I fall behind on the grind, I can get locked out of entire goddamn heroes, possibly permanently? Or, at the very least, judging by skin costs, without shelling out an exorbitant amount of real money later?

gently caress this. Rather than playing for a while until something else comes out that grabs my attention for a bit or I get sick or just don't want to play and I fall unrecoverably behind on the grind and can't catch up, why don't I just skip to the end and stop playing right away?

You know you can just play games because the gameplay is good instead of grinding meaningless cosmetics you can’t even see. You know that, right?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like how the game doesn't show you any more what rank other players are. Presumably because they're relaxing matchmaking requirements to solve the queue times.
The whole "we won't tell you what rank you are until you lose 20 times" thing would support that idea as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I like how the game doesn't show you any more what rank other players are. Presumably because they're relaxing matchmaking requirements to solve the queue times.
The whole "we won't tell you what rank you are until you lose 20 times" thing would support that idea as well.

Also the dread of seeing rank go down every match because you had a troll or leaver really sucked the desire to play out of a ton of competitive players.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Also the dread of seeing rank go down every match because you had a troll or leaver really sucked the desire to play out of a ton of competitive players.

That's just a post hoc explanation on their part.

They claim a lot of things, like changing the balance to not require hard counters anymore. Yet Pharah is completely unchanged.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

CapnAndy posted:

Just play the game dude - cosmetics in overwatch always seemed like a slight distraction to me and I never really cared much, it was fun to get loot boxes, but I have no desire to even click on the battlepass.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Bottom Liner posted:

You know you can just play games because the gameplay is good instead of grinding meaningless cosmetics you can’t even see. You know that, right?
I do! That's part of why I'm so disappointed in OW2, because I can just go do that instead.

And personally I think "cosmetics are meaningless" is disengenous -- self-expression is a pretty basic desire, and if they truly didn't matter, nobody would want them, but fine, for purposes of this, they're meaningless. Heroes aren't, and if I can already tell that I'm gonna lose my appetite for grinding before I unlock them, is a game where you slowly pile up a screen full of lock icons on character select really okay to you?

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 7, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

gently caress SNEEP posted:

None of those are free to play games.

Neither was Overwatch, it was $60 for six straight years.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just ignore how every facet of capitalism steadily makes your existence a little worse every minute of every day and consume the product.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
Any news on when exactly the phone number requirement for legacy players will be dropped besides the nebulous "October 7th"?

Don't feel like sitting in queue again only to be told "you need a phone number".

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Bottom Liner posted:

How much is Blizzard paying you to white knight every even slightly negative comment against them, m8? Or do you just love the taste of boots?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

That's just a post hoc explanation on their part.

They claim a lot of things, like changing the balance to not require hard counters anymore. Yet Pharah is completely unchanged.

Nah, it's a legit change to make comp not feel dogshit because micro adjustments every match really suck in practice. And Pharah is fine lmao.

Jack Trades posted:

Just ignore how every facet of capitalism steadily makes your existence a little worse every minute of every day and consume the product.

:rolleyes: if your existence is deeply tied to cosmetics in a f2p game, you're a lost cause

CapnAndy posted:

I do! That's part of why I'm so disappointed in OW2, because I can just go do that instead.

And personally I think "cosmetics are meaningless" is disengenous -- self-expression is a pretty basic desire, and if they truly didn't matter, nobody would want them, but fine, for purposes of this, they're meaningless. Heroes aren't, and if I can already tell that I'm gonna lose my appetite for grinding before I unlock them, is a game where you slowly pile up a screen full of lock icons on character select really okay to you?

Yeah, characters in BP is absolute garbage, everything else though is meaningless nonsense that doesn't matter at all. Self-expression =/= dress up in a video game, what dystopian cyberpunk hell do you want?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It sure is neat that the only issues with overwatch 2 are related to cosmetics

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

And Pharah is fine lmao.

You're really gonna claim that Phara doesn't require countering? REALLY?

EDIT: I mean, I know you're being disingenuous on purpose, I'm mostly curious about how you're gonna try to justify that.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
it's hilarious they rolled back moira's enfeebling orb from beta. i still believe she's the best dps in the game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

You're really gonna claim that Phara doesn't require countering? REALLY?

EDIT: I mean, I know you're being disingenuous on purpose, I'm mostly curious about how you're gonna try to justify that.

Please define hard counter

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Please define hard counter

Please define the word "define".

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

love2 que heals in comp and get yelled at for playing heals wrong. if you want heals done a certain way play heals idgi

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Please define the word "define".

I accept your surrender.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I miss the chill overwatch meimei thread. Is it archived?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

I accept your surrender.

Likewise

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Jack Trades posted:

It acts like Genji's Deflect or Sigma's Absorb, where it interacts with projectiles but not beams, but until those it also for some reason blocks melee attack, which nothing else in the game does.

gengu deflect has always blocked melee

black.lion fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 7, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bottom Liner posted:

I accept your surrender.

Just gently caress already, geez

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

pretty impressive that they somehow found a way to make unlocking stuff even worse than the old lootboxes

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

black.lion posted:

gengu deflect has always blocked melee

Huh, so it does. I never knew that cause that's one character I never had any interest in playing.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Jack Trades posted:

Huh, so it does. I never knew that cause that's one character I never had any interest in playing.

yar i main rein and play some gonji so ive dealt with both sides of that feature lol

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Jack B Nimble posted:

I miss the chill overwatch meimei thread. Is it archived?

Yeah. It is in archives. There is link on the 3rd OP post.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

im depressed lol posted:

Any news on when exactly the phone number requirement for legacy players will be dropped besides the nebulous "October 7th"?

Don't feel like sitting in queue again only to be told "you need a phone number".

Go time for Overwatch 1 players, no phone number and I'm in.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Good money is on Blizzard quickly dropping the phone requirement because the EU regulatory board told them that they effectively stole a game from everyone without one. Seems to be the way we get all of these kinds of changes.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
JFC let people play the game they bought. I’m not having any issues but that really sucks for those that do.

Honestly though, you’re not missing out on much. Gameplay is still quality but still super stale.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CuddleCryptid posted:

Good money is on Blizzard quickly dropping the phone requirement because the EU regulatory board told them that they effectively stole a game from everyone without one. Seems to be the way we get all of these kinds of changes.

quietly? they made a public statement about it already
only for people who already bought OW1 though, new f2p peasants still need to give up their personal info

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Jack Trades posted:

Cowboy's and Bastion's grenades should have a visual cue when they stick to you, like Echo's does, but they don't. It's bad.

Also I discovered today, after some testing, that Orisa's shield is loving weird and has unique properties that no other abilities do.
It acts like Genji's Deflect or Sigma's Absorb, where it interacts with projectiles but not beams, but until those it also for some reason blocks melee attack, which nothing else in the game does.
It has weird interactions where apparently Junker Queen's Ult is both an AoE Melee Attack AND an AoE Debuff, and Orisa's shield blocks one part of it but not the other.

poo poo's getting weird and it's obvious that they're getting less and less concerned about having consistent rules between character abilities.

I think it's more like DVA Defense matrix and Sigma's Kinetic Grasp.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

quietly? they made a public statement about it already
only for people who already bought OW1 though, new f2p peasants still need to give up their personal info

I meant the reason why they did it, not because they give a poo poo. I can't think of any other reason other than the feature just having absolutely zero people QA it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

imagine dungeons posted:

JFC let people play the game they bought.

We literally cannot play the game we paid money for anymore.

That's kind of the thing.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Jack Trades posted:

That's pretty normal for an online game though, no? Between balance changes, expansions and content updates etc the current state of a game years after you bought it is much different than the one you originally paid money for. Even late OW1 was a pretty different experience than launch OW1.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Splinter posted:

That's pretty normal for an online game though, no? Between balance changes, expansions and content updates etc the current state of a game years after you bought it is much different than the one you originally paid money for. Even late OW1 was a pretty different experience than launch OW1.

Just because every motherfucking company forcefully retires their "services" doesn't mean that I have to like it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is there a way to change the main splash screen? im very tired of looking at cinematic camera pans across the weird evil genji skin

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Can't wait for a worse version of the thing I paid for and losing the ability to play the better game.

Jack Trades posted:

Lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Splinter posted:

The difference is that the new content replaced the old content and is objectively worse outside the core hero redesigns. Even then, if a new gun unlocks in TF2 or CoD it doesn't completely delete all the other guns.

The only shooters that completely wipe and redesign are Battle Royale games that have to keep changing the map to keep people interested in their extremely basic core loop. In every other shooter I can imagine when you release a sequel you don't just delete the servers for the old game. Battlefield One hasn't been erased from existence just because 2042 came out because hey, maybe some people like how things were set up.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 7, 2022