Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CuddleCryptid posted:

The difference is that the new content replaced the old content and is objectively worse outside the core hero redesigns. Even then, if a new gun unlocks in TF2 or CoD it doesn't completely delete all the other guns.

What the gently caress are you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

check out gundam, it looks like a cheap knockoff of a real game but is somehow fundamentally better designed than overwatch

the movement owns, you glide and dance around, and while there are burlier characters and characters with mild healing/support abilities it doesn’t have the ludicrous hard trinity roles that blizzard keeps trying to force into every fame

also the cosmetics are a joke so you’ll never be disheartened that you can’t get the hot new holiday skin for your husbando

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Bottom Liner posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

stop posting jfc, you add nothing here

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Wheeee posted:

check out gundam, it looks like a cheap knockoff of a real game but is somehow fundamentally better designed than overwatch

the movement owns, you glide and dance around, and while there are burlier characters and characters with mild healing/support abilities it doesn’t have the ludicrous hard trinity roles that blizzard keeps trying to force into every fame

also the cosmetics are a joke so you’ll never be disheartened that you can’t get the hot new holiday skin for your husbando

Is that actually good? I hear positive things about it but it's counterbalanced with people saying the process to unlock Mechs is awful and slow

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sandwolf posted:

How much is Blizzard paying you to white knight every even slightly negative comment against them, m8? Or do you just love the taste of boots?

Bottom Liner posted:

So clearly the right solution is to impose personally invasive and gross verification screenings on those marginalized groups that make them feel even less welcome in the scene, right?

Like, they identified a problem and came up with the worst possible solution that only makes it worse, much like their diversity calculator tool.

Bottom Liner posted:

It is pretty loving hilarious that after all this time of prepping the game to be f2p they didn't actually fill it with anything new and just hope a ton of new players come into it and buy the old stuff.

and that's only half of the joke, the :effort: battlepass is the punchline.

I don't know if it's funny or sad that the actual game is way way better now but everything surrounding it is such a mess that Blizz is getting roasted universally.

Bottom Liner posted:

Old characters are locked in a quick unlock system to ease new players in to the game.

That’s not the same unlock system that the new character releases will have. They will all be locked like Kitsune so grats on falling for that trap.

Bottom Liner posted:

I really don't mind it when it's only cosmetic poo poo. Putting heroes in it is jumping the shark in a massive way.

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, characters in BP is absolute garbage

Try harder next time. I've been consistently critical of Blizzard while also saying the actual gameplay changes are for the better.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Finally managed a moment to play and my thoughts were:

Wait, am I seriously queueing just to get into the game menu? I can't just load the game to look at skins or saved highlights?

The Battlepass has nothing in it that's any good.

Why is the new Japanese character who is from Japan just another set of American voice lines?

Mystery Heroes! Lovely.

Junker Queen pretty fun, and great ocker voice performance. Her gun is rubbish, but the knife and axe feel great. Chasing down and crunching that Mercy was nice.

Hmmmmm, reward didn't score that much, HotS style Challenges, but going into the BP. No way to just randomly acquire things? This treadmill feels WAY slower than OW1, and more things I don't want. No idea what those cards are, and weapon charms don't feel right for this game.

Oh, I've been kicked out.

Ursula Le Goon
Jan 3, 2013

am i blind or did they remove the group up feature? solo queueing in this game still sucks

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I just tried to grind Push maps for cheevs and god I hate that mode. As soon as one team gets an actual lead, the game is over apart from waiting it out. I've only had one (1) experience of an overtime comeback.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

CuddleCryptid posted:

The difference is that the new content replaced the old content and is objectively worse outside the core hero redesigns. Even then, if a new gun unlocks in TF2 or CoD it doesn't completely delete all the other guns.

The only shooters that completely wipe and redesign are Battle Royale games that have to keep changing the map to keep people interested in their extremely basic core loop. In every other shooter I can imagine when you release a sequel you don't just delete the servers for the old game. Battlefield One hasn't been erased from existence just because 2042 came out because hey, maybe some people like how things were set up.

The new content is the old content, it just plays a bit differently, outside of the 2CP maps being gone. It is weird to completely kill previous game when a sequel comes out, but as everyone has been saying, without the PvE it's more of a v1.5 or expansion than a sequel. They could've just switched to 5v5 while keeping it OW1, and then you're be playing the game you paid for, however I think your complaints would still be the same. OW itself has even had some very major changes that remove the ability to experience the original gameplay, e.g. the addition of hero limits, many significant hero reworks (e.g. Mercy rez & sym TP/shield gen changes which drastically altered game strategy, and other reworks where they essentially removed a character and added a new one that plays significantly different). So I suspect it's more that you don't like the changes introduced in OW2 rather than the sequel killed the originally. It sucks when an online game you like gets changed in a way you find worse, but this isn't some new thing. I'll admit major gameplay changes are rare within the FPS genre (outside of BRs as you mentioned), but it is a thing that happens with multiplayer games (especially MMOs, ARPGs). CoD isnt' really a fair comparison because they're pumping out a new version pretty much every year so they can just make the major changes in the new version. Games like OW that have a single release for 6+ years are going to have more major changes mid-release to keep the game going.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011

Ursula Le Goon posted:

am i blind or did they remove the group up feature? solo queueing in this game still sucks

me and pals have had to use /invite

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Splinter posted:

The new content is the old content, it just plays a bit differently, outside of the 2CP maps being gone.

Wait, Valskya, Hanmura, Lunar Colony, Paris, Anubis, etc are gone? I loved those maps!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

My only previous experience was the open beta of overwatch 1 and I just wanna say that Zarya owns

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Coward posted:

Why is the new Japanese character who is from Japan just another set of American voice lines?

sometimes she says "daijobu"

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is that actually good? I hear positive things about it but it's counterbalanced with people saying the process to unlock Mechs is awful and slow

Unlocks are bullshit yea, it’s as bad as any other modern game.

What it doesn’t do however is take away something you paid for already, which makes it a little less annoying.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i remember people in the halo infinite thread yelling about how you shouldnt care about unlocks and should just play the game

and that game turned out great!!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Coward posted:

Can't believe Sally Amaki is being bullied by Japanese and Americans for not sounding Japanese enough

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Concurred posted:

sometimes she says "daijobu"

It's clear the voice actor can speak Japanese, as the couple of Japanese voice lines are solidly delivered. So why make me cringe at every thing she says in English, and deliberately pronounce it kit-SOOOO-nee?

And I will still complain about characters from (and representing) non-English-speaking countries that don't have voice lines in their native language. Looking at you, Hanzo, Lucio, Pharah, Rein and Torb (and it'd be nice for Doomfist and Orisa, and for Mercy to have more than one)

e: ^^ nothing at all against the voice actor, it's clearly a casting/voice-direction decision, or a lore choice. Character stated to be raised in America/has an American parent or guardian? Fine.

Coward fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 7, 2022

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

10min 15 min 20min QP queue lmfao

Solefald fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 7, 2022

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Is there honestly no way of just loading up the menu to look at your Hero Gallery without queuing?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

correct, you need to be connected to their servers to see or do anything because everything is stored in the cloud

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Coward posted:

Is there honestly no way of just loading up the menu to look at your Hero Gallery without queuing?

there is a button on the main screen for that?

lol my brain read that as queuing for a match lol my bad

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Eej posted:

Can't believe Sally Amaki is being bullied by Japanese and Americans for not sounding Japanese enough

nobody, at least here, is talking poo poo about the actor herself

but i searched her name out of curiosity and now i know why some weirdos in here get defensive on her behalf

quote:

In 2016, Amaki moved from Los Angeles to Japan by herself to pursue voice acting, as she felt that anime brought a positive influence on her life and wanted to contribute back.[5] She took and failed many auditions, in part due to her limited Japanese proficiency, until in December 2016, she successfully auditioned for Yasushi Akimoto's idol and anime girl group project, later named 22/7, despite her reluctance to become an idol in addition to becoming a voice actress.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
yeah thats why good job

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

yea it kinda is, sorry

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I don't think that any of the actors are bad, they just can't have any accent that isn't immediately understood by American midwesterners that haven't met someone who is less than a 6th generation immigrant before. They can have a bit of a flavor but nothing that isn't perfectly phonetic to its spelling.

I mean, Mei has amazing American accented English for someone who has either been in China or Antarctica for her whole life.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 7, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kiriko cinematic drops in a bit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

The fundamentals are very strong but every criticism you've heard of gundam's monetization is true; there's some bafflingly bad decisions in there.

Which is a shame because it turns out that making a class-based shooter where every class is a DPS on roughly even ground with each other works really well. And every suit has a boost dash on a short cooldown so the gameplay always feels fast.

(I do mean roughly when I say that, however.)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Runa posted:

Which is a shame because it turns out that making a class-based shooter where every class is a DPS on roughly even ground with each other works really well. And every suit has a boost dash on a short cooldown so the gameplay always feels fast.

Is that really anything novel though? Class based shooters without tank/healer is definitely not a new concept.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Runa posted:

The fundamentals are very strong but every criticism you've heard of gundam's monetization is true; there's some bafflingly bad decisions in there.

(I do mean roughly when I say that, however.)

Reminds me of Hawken from the sounds of it

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Everything old is new again.

CuddleCryptid posted:

That’s actually a decent comparison at a high level, in terms of being mech-themed games with extremely strong fundamentals and trashy monetization, but they play pretty differently. While Hawken’s mechs had the ability to dash and fly they weren’t extremely agile otherwise and felt nice and chunky, whereas Gundam mechs float and glide around in graceful arcs. There’s no persistent progression/power mechanics in Gundam from what I’ve seen, and it plays much faster, with more emphasis on abilities than Hawken, though less so than OW.

gently caress I miss Hawken.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 7, 2022

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i have been in an any role quickplay queue for 15 minutes, is the game just broken

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Eej posted:

Nah it's down to the voice direction not the VA. Both Hanzo and Genji are voiced by Japanese Americans and were likely told to ham it up a little. For whatever reason they didn't do that with this new character, despite her story being that she grew up with them.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Hawken was great. Sad it died.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 7, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

i have been in an any role quickplay queue for 15 minutes, is the game just broken

They've generally been <1 min for us but suddenly turned to 5+, so maybe. Role QP queue here.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Idk if it helps, but if it's past like 5 min, I just restart the queue

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Thumbtacks posted:

Mine are normally fast but I've had the queue get stuck a couple times. Still some server hiccups maybe.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

The new healer feels lame and boring but I guess it's hard to compete with Lucio

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CuddleCryptid posted:

Hawken was about big stompy western style mechs. In gundam evolution the movement isn't really like that. They feel pretty much just like the humans in overwatch, except that everyone also has 1-3 bars of the universal boost dash meter.

Bottom Liner posted:

Is that really anything novel though? Class based shooters without tank/healer is definitely not a new concept.

They're not new but there's very few of them!

I mean you have games like battlefield or valorant where everyone runs around with the same modern military rifles and occasionally throws out a class-dependent ability once in a while. But for "hero shooters" where each character/class feels like a totally different character and not like a different sub-equipment choice for calladootyman, it's a lot rarer to see a game without holy trinity stuff. Last I can think of is Tribes Ascend? I'm sure there's more I haven't played though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SorePotato posted:

The new healer feels lame and boring but I guess it's hard to compete with Lucio

kiriko is the healer you pick if you want to mechanically flex, in that you have absurd damage for a healer if you can land consistent kunai headshots which is far easier said than done with how slow the fuckers travel and how small their hitbox is

you're otherwise better off playing literally anyone else

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Game’s been fun when I can play it. Mystery Heroes queue is small, so if you just want some game time, play that.

Sucks about the BP and all the monetization poo poo. At least Junker Queen and Sojourn have both been rad to play (I’m more on the fence about Kiriko).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vermain posted:

kiriko is the healer you pick if you want to mechanically flex, in that you have absurd damage for a healer if you can land consistent kunai headshots which is far easier said than done with how slow the fuckers travel and how small their hitbox is

you're otherwise better off playing literally anyone else

idk the 1 second of aoe invincibility seems cool if you know how to use it effectively (i do not)
being able to teleport to allies through walls would be really good in a game that had 2 tanks so one of them could go do flank stuff

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 8, 2022