Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
what a jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

very cool video. i'm super impressed with jim lill! years ago i made this post asking the question this video answers:

Helianthus Annuus posted:

can i swap components to make one classic tube amp sound like another classic tube amp? what are the limits, before i have to just buy a different amp?

from the results in the video, it turns out that you can get very close by just altering the order of EQ stages and amplification stages in the amp's signal chain -- no need to even use different components.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I got mixed feelings about that comparison, though it is cool what he's doing overall (loved his guitar tone video).

Ok, yeah you can effectively minimize the differences between amps by finding the settings where they sound the most similar and that is a neat demonstration, but it isn't really getting at how the different circuit designs as a whole make certain behaviors way easier to get out of this or that amp preferentially. It's neat that he's able to reduce them to similar sounds in a very specific context and even loosely replicate their tones with a fun "amp" in a tacklebox too, but when the folks making amps aren't just ripping off other designs and tweaking them slightly there's some clever engineering that goes into getting particular characteristics from them. Biasing for example is precise when done correctly but often kind of fudged - I had a Univalve which is a really simple (almost '60s style) single ended class-A circuit, cathode biased, but the bias was not "self biasing" as marketing sometimes made it seem but rather just a low fixed bias that was safe for most any tube but not ideal for most any tube either. Still sounded good, you could change tubes in it and get slightly different behaviors, but if you were to take the same circuit and bias it for a particular application correctly, reckon it'd do better. I did like it though. Negative feedback vs. no negative feedback can sound different, depending on how the circuit is designed, but it's not something you're likely to be able to easily demonstrate between switchable options on one amp, or between amps, it's more like intrinsic to the design of a given amp and changes how you can interact w/ the overall sound shaping. And amplification changes with different biasing methods also; that Univalve would not get the same output per tube (like, maybe only half as much) as a fixed bias class-A/B design.

Absolutely true that the overall amp tone has to do with filtering and where are you filtering - gain staging and how much amplification / clipping is going on. But this isn't news, if you've followed the development of e.g. mu-amp transistorized circuits that just aim to replicate amp designs but with JFETs etc. (which have been popular in DIY circles for a long time, following on Jack Orman's work in the late '90s especially) then it isn't really revelatory that you can get a pretty close approximation of the overall shape of the sound of a tube amp with solid state electronics. Pedals would not be as popular as they are if they all sounded like rear end and only tube amp behaviors were acceptable, there is a lot of corksniffing to contend with to the contrary but I feel like it's been plenty well shown from guitarists preferring pedals to get their tones even back into the genesis of pedals. I mean, poo poo, there was that one console that had a failing channel that made a fuzzy sound that worked on records, then Revis Hobbs - a local EE - was tapped to cook up a transistor circuit that could do the same trick - voila, fuzz is born, and guitarists fuckin' loved fuzz ever since, tons of famous fuzz tones in huge hits. And plenty of distortion loving pedal users in the decades since - I'm probably hammering on this point too much but I just mean to say, the guitar tone world has been bigger than tube amps for a while.

(by the way here's the fuzz before there were fuzzes from that fateful recording, while I'm digressing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2WBBcH6OPU&t=86s

I like James Brown's thinking - not the Godfather of Soul, I mean the guy that designed the 5150 and a buuuunch of other stuff (made the Amptweaker pedals for the longest though he sold the brand when he became the lead designer for Fender on the EVH gear). The 5150 Iconic is a recent design of his that replaces what would have been tube gain stages with a nice high gain MOSFET circuit in the preamp section, but still uses tube gain stages in the preamp after that for their nice sounding clipping when heavily driven like that, and also uses a MOSFET rectifier. gently caress that amp sounds nice - I bet the musician that could pick it from a high gain tube amp in a blind test is rare. Because that dude knows wtf he's doing when putting together a circuit to achieve particular ends. I do agree with Jim L. that paying too much attention to particular "holy grails" that light up forums conversation from musicians who are probably repeating poo poo they heard anyway, versus paying attention to the sound and what it does for you, can waste your time, for sure.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 7, 2022

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

One thing that stands out to me is that by the end with the tackle box he's essentially made a variation of the old solid state 'amp in a box' concept, like the D&M simplifier or similar. Which is a good example of how much tone stack and gain staging creates the general tone of an amp, and can pretty similar at recording volumes but..its not an amp, as in its not a thing which makes sounds loud.

I've played a simplifier (or hellx or sans amp or whatever) into a hi fi style SS amplifier and its not the same as having a 100w Marshall kicking you in the teeth. A lot of the feel of an amp is about how it responds to volume.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I know you can modify some of the layout of the signal chain in guitar processors like the fractal and Kemper lines and also a tiny bit in the katana, but do any have the ability to tailor the dsp stages and add filters between them?

Also curious how those DSPs are structured, like do they just load a version of SPICE and pipe the guitar signal through them?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Realtime SPICE-style simulation would be too computationally demanding. Here's a paper that specifically examines how some of the crucial aspects of a device's electrical behavior (in this case, Analogman King of Tone) can be computationally simplified to achieve good results: https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~kaichieh/KingOfTone.pdf

Some modern modeling methods rely on machine learning and are probably a little bit "black box" as a result, though. Neural DSP, Mercuriall, and the more recent offerings from Native Instruments and IK Multimedia, for example. But there are still folks out there doing good work coding it all themselves, like Igor Nembrini.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Got a Hondo HDLPS-2AB to match my HD-770

These two are keepers, now to decide what LP copies are going to get sold.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Agreed posted:

Realtime SPICE-style simulation would be too computationally demanding. Here's a paper that specifically examines how some of the crucial aspects of a device's electrical behavior (in this case, Analogman King of Tone) can be computationally simplified to achieve good results: https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~kaichieh/KingOfTone.pdf

Some modern modeling methods rely on machine learning and are probably a little bit "black box" as a result, though. Neural DSP, Mercuriall, and the more recent offerings from Native Instruments and IK Multimedia, for example. But there are still folks out there doing good work coding it all themselves, like Igor Nembrini.

That's what I figured. I have a very rudimentary understanding of modern DSP because it's one of those things like coding where I try to do it as little as possible otherwise you get pigeon holed into doing it forever because you're the only one around who knows how to do it (also see why I make any excuse to avoid touching Matlab for fear of contamination) so I don't really have an idea how these things now work.

DSP is also one of those things where you can either live in a cardboard box eating dried cockroaches by making amp Sims for a living, or work at a telecom and retire at 35

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

widefault posted:

wood is good these are both sexy as hell

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

widefault posted:

Double cut LP is a seriously underrated shape.

gregday
May 23, 2003

mweber posted:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

I know you can modify some of the layout of the signal chain in guitar processors like the fractal and Kemper lines and also a tiny bit in the katana, but do any have the ability to tailor the dsp stages and add filters between them?
I'm not answering the right question but I can say for sure I have seen one of the most popular methods in the Fractal world for modeling SRV's tone used to take one amp model and, deep in the menus, swap out the tone stack for one from another amp circuit. Pretty sure components of an Ampeg model went into this Frankenamp (different tubes may have been modeled as well, I forget) and it sounded great. I believe this started on the AxeII but someone like GreatGreen might remember more.

As far as filters and EQs and stuff between amp/FX blocks the Fractal has more than I can think of and tons of controllers like LFOs and Synths to run them as well. It's way too much for me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

mweber posted:

I'm not a fan on the figured ones, but the flat lp junior/special doublecuts are :kiss:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

New Polyphia drop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixoMFAK4U0E

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I respect Tim Henson's fully embracing the premise here from the jump.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Finally - a polyphia song I can play as well as they can

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm not a fan on the figured ones, but the flat lp junior/special doublecuts are :kiss:

Love my Firefly DC LPJ.

I like the double cut carved top LP because it just looks “wrong” in sort of the same way as maple fretboards on LPs.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

mweber posted:

Love my Firefly DC LPJ.

I like the double cut carved top LP because it just looks “wrong” in sort of the same way as maple fretboards on LPs.

Yep. Ash & Maple to make it really wrong.

I'm kind of tempted to see if one of the Chinese makers will make me a set neck version with a chambered body, black neck binding, and a natural headstock face as well.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

widefault posted:

I'm kind of tempted to see if one of the Chinese makers will make me a set neck version with a chambered body, black neck binding, and a natural headstock face as well.

How come no black knobs?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

How come no black knobs?

None in the parts box that fit, and I need to fix the wiring so may change the pots and don't want to buy any knobs until I know what's getting changed.

I did change the poker chip to black

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

widefault posted:

Oh yeah, that’s the stuff right there.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I said come in! posted:

I've decided that I don't like recording with my guitar hooked up to my Mac. Phone mic, or Blue Yeti mic properly setup by my amp is the way to go for me I think. Just trying to still figure out personal preference.

yeti is not good at all for recording a guitar amp.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Malaria posted:

I also wanted to learn wacky tremolo techniques, but every Floyd Rose guitar I've bought I sold within 6 months because I hate dealing with them, and I just block my strat trem because they never stay in tune.
I've always been super impressed with how Jeff Beck uses his trem. It's so crazy.

I dont get this... how is this such a common complaint. I whammy the everloving poo poo out of mine, both up and down, and they pop right back into tune perfectly. and they're just ordinary strat trems. I really would like to get hands on with someone's "not staying in tune" strat sometime and figure out what's wrong.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

What was wrong with mine is it was a 6-point MIM trem and no matter how much time you spend trying to get the screws perfectly even and balance the tension with the claw, it just wouldn't friggin' work, ALWAYS come back slightly different after usage. That's after installing locking tuners, changing the nut for a very well-cut one set up for the string gauge in use, replacing the bridge saddles, and every drat else thing I could think to do. So I finally blocked it after more than 15 years of putting up with its poo poo. Still love that guitar :)

I've had three different trem bridge equipped guitars that I had no problem getting to stay in tune. One was a Kahler on an '80s Jackson, one was a Fender System 2 on a MIJ strat, and most recently (and one I still have and use regularly) is this Charvel with a Floyd Rose in it. All of those worked great, no issues, great tuning stability - the Floyd Rose is my favorite among them, just Works and stays in tune forever.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 8, 2022

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Doctor Dogballs posted:

I dont get this... how is this such a common complaint. I whammy the everloving poo poo out of mine, both up and down, and they pop right back into tune perfectly. and they're just ordinary strat trems. I really would like to get hands on with someone's "not staying in tune" strat sometime and figure out what's wrong.

Probably a nut not cut all that great, or even badly wrapped strings on the tuning post. At least those are 2 common issues, anyway

Agreed posted:

What was wrong with mine is it was a 6-point MIM trem and no matter how much time you spend trying to get the screws perfectly even and balance the tension with the claw, it just wouldn't friggin' work, ALWAYS come back slightly different after usage. That's after installing locking tuners, changing the nut for a very well-cut one set up for the string gauge in use, replacing the bridge saddles, and every drat else thing I could think to do. So I finally blocked it after more than 15 years of putting up with its poo poo. Still love that guitar :)

I've had three different trem bridge equipped guitars that I had no problem getting to stay in tune. One was a Kahler on an '80s Jackson, one was a Fender System 2 on a MIJ strat, and most recently (and one I still have and use regularly) is this Charvel with a Floyd Rose in it. All of those worked great, no issues, great tuning stability - the Floyd Rose is my favorite among them, just Works and stays in tune forever.

Didn't see this post. Since it's a strat trem, by block, did you deck it or actually have to fully block it from any movement?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 8, 2022

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

gahh!! clipped my picking nails for an interview and my fingers are not happy about it. drat respectability

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Doctor Dogballs posted:

yeti is not good at all for recording a guitar amp.

Gah! Okay, might be time to go look at a good mic for what I am wanting to do. This is just what I had on hand.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The Sm57 or 58 or another inexpensive xlr dynamic mic through an audio interface like a Scarlett 2i2, or just plug directly into the interface and use an amp Sims in your daw.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, a 57 or 58 (the only difference really is the grill) is pretty much ideal for most guitar work and it's very very durable. Like there's an old joke about how you could use a 58 to hammer nails, but I've actually literally hammered a nail with a 58 before.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sm57 is the mic used for presidential addresses because it’s the most bulletproof.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, a 57 or 58 (the only difference really is the grill) is pretty much ideal for most guitar work and it's very very durable. Like there's an old joke about how you could use a 58 to hammer nails, but I've actually literally hammered a nail with a 58 before.

They're incredibly similar but just slightly different enough to be annoying to turbo nerds. For practical purposes: get whichever one you can find for the cheapest price. For idiot nerds like me: get both and A/B them on something and pick whatever feels right, or use both and blend them together.

https://www.synapticsound.com/shure-sm57-vs-sm58/#:~:text=The%20frequency%20response%20of%20the,off%20in%20the%20treble%20region.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

This is just my personal opinion but if you're tracking guitar and not doing it in the box, you owe it to yourself to keep at least one, I'd even say two SM57 on hand. You can do so much in terms of recording guitar with a pair of SM57s, and they're relatively affordable. If you're tracking vocals and guitar and money's tight, an SM57 and an SM58 - the SM58 is a great workhorse vocal mic but as mentioned already by others it works fine on cabs, just doesn't have quite the same sonic profile, but there's a lot of benefit to having the option to record your cab with two mic positions.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 10, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A 57 or 58 (strongly recommend a 58 for this for the added protection around the capsule) is also probably the best mic for a rock snare, and 57s or 58s in X-Y are pretty phenomenal for overheads, a super aggressive sound.

edit Hank Williams III recorded Straight To Hell with 58s for everything except for I think kick and vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXeUXmCV5IA

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 10, 2022

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hey guitar thread nerds, been a while. Hope everyone is going alright, and making them tunes.

I've been having a wild time and fun health stuff has lead me to sell some gear. My beloved Gibson Les Paul Classic? It's gonna go, along with a couple other items. Funnily enough, I'm not sad about it. The guitar is amazing, and there is nothing wrong with it at all, the problem is sadly with me. At like 7-8kg (16lbs roughly) it's a heavy bitch, but I love that. My physical health isn't good for it tho. Still plays amazingly and sounds as gorgeous as ever but the reality is I don't play it often, or even rarely at this point. It's in its case, with all the case candy, including the baby photo from the factory, and just sits there.

And well, that just don't sit well with me. So I decided to sell it, hopefully to someone who plays the gently caress out of it. Because what makes me sad isn't selling it, it's the idea of an amazing instrument collecting dust. And at the end of the day things are just things.

The other two items I'm selling are my Reverend Sensei 290 (in red aww ye) and my modified Fender Bassman 100T. Not because they're bad either. But because I forgot I even loving owned them and holy poo poo at that point they need to go. That's multiple thousands of aussie funbucks sitting around I forgot I even loving owned.

My perspective on gear the last few years has shifted, especially after losing my best friend and bandmate. I don't really much care for having gear after a certain point of getting stuff done. I've actually branched into piano and stuff instead of buying more guitar gear. And this is kind of how it all falls together.

I'm planning on getting another LP, by the way, just not a usual one. Keeping an eye out for one of the "awful" cut down ones, with the slim bodies and contours and whatnot. Because I love LPs but having a massive uncontoured chunk of wood just doesn't work for me any more.

This is my E/N about gear y'alll. Just play your instruments, because if it isn't helping create why is it even around?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Yeah, I'm hitting that point where I need to do a mass purge of stuff I don't play.

And in the slim body LP, I noticed the Hondo I just got is a good 1/4" thinner than a regular LP.

Black Made in Japan LP on the left, skinny Hondo dead center, and a Korean Lotus LP on the right. The Lotus is probably going to end up on the sell list because it's just too heavy for my bad shoulder and back. But dammit it's pretty.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Funnily enough that's pretty much the sort of thing I'm chasing. Just a Les Paul, but lighter. Not more aggressive or pointier, not hotter pickups, just like a modernised Les Paul (that isn't an SG).

Gibson made a Les Paul in 2015 called the Gibson Les Paul Less Plus (dumb rear end name) and it's pretty much exactly what I want, except I'd love gloss black.

https://www.12fret.com/instruments/gibson-les-paul-less-plus-sunburst-2015/

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

widefault posted:

And in the slim body LP, I noticed the Hondo I just got is a good 1/4" thinner than a regular LP.

The thinness of that Hondo gives me the twinge...

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
had my duet partner over this weekend and recorded some Bach. at this tempo the piece feels like driving a really fast car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3QW4Tny5Zg

it takes so much mental concentration for me to play stuff like this, i was completely spent after like an hour

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sounds great! Did you two work it up from zero over that hour or come in having worked on it separately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Huxley posted:

Sounds great! Did you two work it up from zero over that hour or come in having worked on it separately?

oh no, absolutely not - we've been working on it for almost a year, off and on, together and separate. took a long time to get it up to that speed