Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Excelzior posted:

what is Natlan going to be, though? Mesoamerica /w Incan, Aztec, etc?
Presumably. The name sounds Nahuatl, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Excelzior posted:

what is Natlan going to be, though? Mesoamerica /w Incan, Aztec, etc?

Never enough pyramids, I guess.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Eimi posted:

The Mandarin voice over really has the feel of whoever was hanging out at the office that day. Meanwhile the Japanese cast is insanely star studded, full spared no expense. It's pretty clear what one Mihoyo put their money into.

The Chinese voice cast is really good, though? No idea about their star status, but they're really, really good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Eimi posted:

The Mandarin voice over really has the feel of whoever was hanging out at the office that day. Meanwhile the Japanese cast is insanely star studded, full spared no expense. It's pretty clear what one Mihoyo put their money into.
Even if they hired the most famous chinese voice actors, who outside of china would even know? Japan has a unique culture where voice actors can regularly become celebrities just for voice acting.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 7, 2022

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

silvergoose posted:

The Chinese voice cast is really good, though? No idea about their star status, but they're really, really good.

Yeah I find them generally really excellent. It's definitly got a different style though, feels more subdued and natural vs the exaggerated style common in anime and English dubs. Paimon sounds like she could be someone's excited little sibling :3

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

When it comes to Paimons voice, less is more

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I can't stand English Paimon but Chinese Paimon is fine (although I don't speak Chinese, maybe it sounds worse if you do?)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just use the English dub to ensure nobody will ever respect my opinion about the voice acting

I couldn't switch at this point if I wanted to, I'm way too used to like Kazuha and Ayato's English voices and now their Japanese voices sound wrong to me. (I do like the Chinese ones, though.)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

My only problem with Chinese voices is that you don't get subtitles for the things your characters randomly say on the field or in combat, and for all I know they're mercilessly mocking me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

My only problem with Chinese voices is that you don't get subtitles for the things your characters randomly say on the field or in combat, and for all I know they're mercilessly mocking me

Yeah this is actually one of the reasons I go for English dubs in the first place in video games. I like to understand the in-battle or field lines as well, and those are almost never subtitled in games.

Sometimes I still use the Japanese voices anyway, like in Yakuza: Like a Dragon, but I still end up wishing I understood what characters said when they did their attacks or leveled up or things like that.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
A true connoisseur learns Japanese just to enhance their enjoyment of video games. If I keep playing Genshin for much longer, I'll have to learn Mandarin too.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FractalSandwich posted:

A true connoisseur learns Japanese just to enhance their enjoyment of video games. If I keep playing Genshin for much longer, I'll have to learn Mandarin too.

No, learn canto, save the dying language we need you

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FractalSandwich posted:

Duolingo is legitimately making it easier for me to understand the game yes.

Not the reason I'm doing it, but it's a benefit!

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhvEIQj92w0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85TxwtgubuI

Nilous character trailer is out for those who are interested. Minus the lack of dancing its about everything you might expect

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
nilou is the most mora friendly character ever released. Level 1 talents with level 1 dull blade and she's at peak performance.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

No Wave posted:

nilou is the most mora friendly character ever released. Level 1 talents with level 1 dull blade and she's at peak performance.

I know you're making a joke about her main strength being her passives that affect the rest of the team, but her Q does seem like a fire-and-forget off-field hydro damage thing, so even if it's relatively weak it seems like you want to level that one up at least.

Edit: Unless you're intentionally not using it to avoid conflicting hydro applications or something?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Qwertycoatl posted:

I can't stand English Paimon but Chinese Paimon is fine (although I don't speak Chinese, maybe it sounds worse if you do?)

I switched to Chinese entirely because of Paimon and I don't regret it, my experience with the game became so much more enjoyable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Chinese's biggest advantage is that everything is properly lip synched and it's wild Genshin just has the quite literal worst in regards to how much money they pour into it.

They fixed the first batch of hangouts and then *never again*

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What quest am I missing if it's still saying I haven't unlocked swapping them back and forth? I already did the entire story and got the Bathysmal Vishaps unlocked. Am I missing something?

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUV_DLp4Bdw

Regarding Paimon chat sometimes I think her Japanese voice actress just has ADHD based on her videos for the JP channel

Kale
May 14, 2010

Got Tighnari, Candace x2, Kuki Shinbou and a couple of 4 star weapons in about 33 pulls. Probably gonna do at least a couple more x10 pulls but debating whether to go for Venti or save my guarantee. Kind of leaning towards the latter. Anyway good pulls.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sanctum posted:

:hellyeah: I got tons of those from going into the chasm for ore every once in a while. Depending on my route I'll kill 2-4

Bottom right teleporter. I remember every inch of every area because that's how my brain is wired. :shepface:

the ones I could never find my way back to are these two:

I randomly stumbled onto them while exploring one day so I have the achievement that requires beating all 9, but when I was farming mats for Isshin I couldn't figure out how to get back there. There's like 3 different z-levels around that one spot on the map an you have to come at them all from different directions.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I randomly stumbled onto them while exploring one day so I have the achievement that requires beating all 9, but when I was farming mats for Isshin I couldn't figure out how to get back there. There's like 3 different z-levels around that one spot on the map an you have to come at them all from different directions.

You can unlock a shortcut from the Ad Hoc Main Tunnel area straight to that room (basically, going south from the waypoint located just north of that picture, but also going waaaaay down below)

To initially reach it you go into the passage going west from the eastern waypoint in the Main Mining Area, turning north into the big open area, up and around the outside of said area, then west to the Underground waterway room where the knights are

e : VVV the shortcut is demonstrated below in the video!

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 8, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

edit: wrong directions originally, replaced now

Yeah those are tricky.

You actually want to take that teleport point, jump off the platform, turn west and look for a cave and follow that and the lake that you're looking for should be on the right.

https://i.imgur.com/A7zHtQi.mp4

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 8, 2022

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
That clip shows the way in from a different teleport point than the one pictured, through a route which may or may not be open depending on whether you unlocked the shortcut when you were first messing around in the chasm.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

yeah the map shows the unlock path, then the video shows the shortcut path which is is NOT from that waypoint

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Clarste posted:

Who is that weapon even good for? I'm not too familiar with spear-users.

I gave it to Candace. It's fine, she's fun to hit things with, and most importantly, it looks good.

Otherwise probably Xiangling or Rosaria, like everyone else said.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I'd completely forgotten about those dudes, and the map couldn't be bothered to show me them, for whatever reason seriously they're not hilchurls you can just have the stupid book show all of them

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Elentor posted:

I switched to Chinese entirely because of Paimon and I don't regret it, my experience with the game became so much more enjoyable.

As a new player it was a little weird hopping back from Inazuma to Mondstadt for some extremely early game world quests that I skipped. Paimon sounds distinctly different and not as high pitched in the earlier content.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Kale posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUV_DLp4Bdw

Regarding Paimon chat sometimes I think her Japanese voice actress just has ADHD based on her videos for the JP channel

My favorite Genshin VA is Itto's Chinese VA who is basically Itto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l1DwRpFE9c

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

His JP va is Nishikawa Takanori aka T M Revolution, aka the dude singing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt5FRNcd0WU

They really need to get Mizuki Nana to voice an electro claymore char.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Real Cool Catfish posted:

That clip shows the way in from a different teleport point than the one pictured, through a route which may or may not be open depending on whether you unlocked the shortcut when you were first messing around in the chasm.

Excelzior posted:

yeah the map shows the unlock path, then the video shows the shortcut path which is is NOT from that waypoint

Oh so I had it right the first time. I had the top teleporter screenshotted at first but then I changed it.

I can't really put the barriers back up and map it out that way though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Eimi posted:

His JP va is Nishikawa Takanori aka T M Revolution, aka the dude singing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt5FRNcd0WU

They really need to get Mizuki Nana to voice an electro claymore char.

There's no way she's not someone they have in their back-pocket to voice a big money character.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

There's no way she's not someone they have in their back-pocket to voice a big money character.
My money's on the Tsaritsa.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Oh so I had it right the first time. I had the top teleporter screenshotted at first but then I changed it.

I can't really put the barriers back up and map it out that way though.

Well, maybe the barriers can be opened from either side, I don't remember. Either way, it's probably good to open them all up; at least part of the researcher's quests are behind them I think. And just like the seed you get from finding the big [non-talking] mushroom, you'll probably need the introduction letter from him for something.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
The Japanese track has the likes of Miyuki Sawashiro and Akira Ishida, with a high probability of an eventual character voiced by Takahiro Sakurai. So as far as I'm concerned, the Chinese track is a no-go.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I like the english track because Zhongli's VA uses the exact same voice for him as he does Gabriel Agreste in Miraculous Ladybug and I find the similarities too funny to give up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

FractalSandwich posted:

My money's on the Tsaritsa.

It's going to be Asumi Kana unless they throw a swerve and she's not a Bronya.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zenostein posted:

Well, maybe the barriers can be opened from either side, I don't remember. Either way, it's probably good to open them all up; at least part of the researcher's quests are behind them I think. And just like the seed you get from finding the big [non-talking] mushroom, you'll probably need the introduction letter from him for something.

Yeah I just mean, I've already done combing through the Chasm entirely and I can't reset it to give better directions now for anyone who hasn't opened everything already.

Unrelated to everything, I wonder how far into the game we have to be to get a second 5* food recipe.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 8, 2022

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Unrelated to everything, I wonder how far into the game we have to be to get a second 5* food recipe.

Character dishes are basically +1 star/suspicious, in terms of their effect (highly unscientifically based on looking solely at hp dishes, which seem to max at 3☆ anyway), so you have eula's. Seems she's the only one who makes a custom 4☆ dish.

That said, maybe for Sumeru? It's been 2 nations again, not that one time makes for a pattern. I can only assume when we get a new one, it'll require at least one of the region's most annoying ascension materials. After all, we've got that stupid mushroom platter dish that uses Collei's mushrooms. Plus, at the time adeptus' temptation was a pain to make, due to a scarcity of crabs (it was for me, at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

I know she was in Honkai as Kallen Kaslana so theres definitely a precedent of Mihoyo working with her