Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

OhFunny posted:

I believe the debate in the Republic Senate wasn't about deregulating the banks to get additional loans for more clone troops vs paying to keep the power plants running, but doing the former vs opening peace talks.

Padmé manages to get the Senate to vote for peace talks, but the power plants on Coruscant get bombed by pro-war Separatists and the attack whips the Senate into a frenzy and they scrap the peace talks vote to continue the war.

That's right, but I remember there's the scene where Padme talks to her handmaiden and the handmaiden is like "I can only afford to give my kids a bath once a week and they have to do their homework in the dark" and Padme uses that in her speech in the Senate about how the Republic is using its funding for the war instead of the people, so maybe I'm just conflating that in my memory. I remember some Legends source from the Clone Wars era also specified the Republic sending power to Coruscant across interstellar distances which kind of boggles the mind but it's Star Wars for you.

Anyways in surprising news, a new Legends short story just came out, tying into The Old Republic: https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20220804

Also, next wave of Essential Legends: Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void, Republic Commando: Hard Contact, and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Kind of lol overall for those being "essential", especially the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Welp. Finished Ronin. It reminds me of the 2013 Space Pirate Captain Harlock movie in that someone recommended it to me and also it makes no sense right until the very end, and you're not super clear on the motivations of anyone until then nor what they have achieved even when you're finished. I'm not sure the premise needed to go that epic that fast TBH.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

Welp. Finished Ronin. It reminds me of the 2013 Space Pirate Captain Harlock movie in that someone recommended it to me and also it makes no sense right until the very end, and you're not super clear on the motivations of anyone until then nor what they have achieved even when you're finished. I'm not sure the premise needed to go that epic that fast TBH.

Same as Mando season 1. The Duel is a really cool short film in isolation and comes primed to spin off into a bigger thing the moment it's successful and Disney considers it worth expanding.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I need to finish it. I’ve had it since release but other stuff keeps getting in the way. Plus it messes with my brain by making me puzzle out just how different from mainline SW stuff it is.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I enjoyed how dense Ronin is with its world-building, which yes, makes it a little hard to understand everything, but what's there is an interesting twist on the setting

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH the problem is the world-building isn't really that dense, it's that it's hidden at the end. We don't even know why Rei'izu matters until the last third of the book, and what happened to it that everyone keeps obliquely referencing throughout is in the last two or three chapters.

Casimir Radon posted:

I need to finish it. I’ve had it since release but other stuff keeps getting in the way. Plus it messes with my brain by making me puzzle out just how different from mainline SW stuff it is.
Here's the twist! It's not different. They actually refer to Kenobi's death in it, as a thing that happened "long ago".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Also, next wave of Essential Legends: Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void, Republic Commando: Hard Contact, and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Kind of lol overall for those being "essential", especially the first one.

Some of the Essential Legends collection choices seem to be designed to drum up interest in upcoming canonical products. Re-releasing the Republic Commando books and Dark Rendezvous make sense with the new Bad Batch season and the Dooku-heavy Tales of the Jedi series coming up. Dawn of the Jedi's a bit trickier, but they've been including a lot of Old Republic stuff in the collection that isn't really "essential". They're putting a lot into the High Republic era in the new canon, so that could why they're reprinting Legends-equivalent stuff, but there were also rumors that Taika Waititi's movie could be a Dawn of the Jedi type thing, since the piece of concept art shown when it was announced had something that looked a bit like a Tho Yor. Though considering Waititi hasn't even seen the prequels (or at least doesn't remember them enough to know Natalie Portman was in them), it's not super likely he's dug deep enough into the EU to get to Dawn of the Jedi.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Han and Leia wedding book comes out today. Is anyone planning on reading it? I'm tempted as the synopsis sounds like a classic 90s Bantam plot which could be fun... but I also hope it has a plot beyond talking about how great the space hotel is.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It's definitely next in line after I wrap up Padawan. The premise of a younger Obi-Wan striking off on his own to find a planet carved into the walls of the Jedi Temple dining hall is pretty cool but oops he gets there and it's your basic lost boys plot with a touch of Zonama Sekot. Still, his frenetic internal monologue makes it entertaining enough for me to keep going.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Here's a quick question: is the Old Republic referred to as the "Galactic Republic" in Tales of the Jedi? I know the Bantam books just call it "the Old Republic" in line with the ANH comment, and its TPM which firmly establishes the term Galactic Republic, but I'm curious if it was used in TOTJ or if that just sticks to "the Republic."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

Here's a quick question: is the Old Republic referred to as the "Galactic Republic" in Tales of the Jedi? I know the Bantam books just call it "the Old Republic" in line with the ANH comment, and its TPM which firmly establishes the term Galactic Republic, but I'm curious if it was used in TOTJ or if that just sticks to "the Republic."

i think old republic is what it becomes post clone wars. the galactic republic is probably the offcial title and the republic is the short name. like US/USA is short for United states of america, etc.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, but I was more curious about when in the real world the term "Galactic Republic" was developed, and if it was before Lucas first uses the name in TPM.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, but I was more curious about when in the real world the term "Galactic Republic" was developed, and if it was before Lucas first uses the name in TPM.

I can tell you that the phrase "the Republic" appears in the intro to the '76 novelization by Alan Dean Foster, and the phrase "Galactic Empire" in the opening crawl for ANH, so I would guess it was around from fairly early on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think old republic is what it becomes post clone wars. the galactic republic is probably the offcial title and the republic is the short name. like US/USA is short for United states of america, etc.
I vaguely remember seeing some RPG stuff define "the Old Republic" as everything before the Jedi-Sith War, with "the Galactic Republic" being everything between that and the Empire. These are both transparently wrong, as Tarkin refers to "the last remnants of the old Republic" in A New Hope, which people have decided to Meaningfully Capitalise in retrospect.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I never liked that the EU definition emerged as the Old Republic being pre-1000 BBY, because not only does that make Tarkin's statement make no sense, but there are plenty of sources from the Bantam era where Old Republic refers to what would later become the prequel era.

I think the "Old Republic = 1000 BBY" identification only emerged after Attack of the Clones when there was the combined statement of the Republic only being 1000 years old and there not being a war since the foundation of the Republic, so there needed to be a way to reconcile that with both the ANH "1000 generations" line and all the wars that the EU had already featured.

Anyway, speaking of Bantam era EU, I just saw that someone on YouTube is doing a full animated adaptation of Heir to the Empire. Good counterpart to the Dark Empire adaptation! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIXGhtpYcgXdpREUecruJR1Yy3h8w4d-s

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

during the prequel era "old republic" means the pre-ruusan reformation republic because it's contrasting the old republic to the current republic. during and after the empire, "old republic" means all forms of republic pre-empire

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The early drafts of Star Wars referred to it as the "Republic Galactica", and opening crawl in the first issue of Tales of the Jedi refers to it as the Galactic Republic, so I think the term was floating around as the actual name of the Old Republic for a while before the prequels (or at least before the release of the prequels. Lucas started writing Episode I in 1994, so the inclusion of the term "Galactic Republic" might have been something the authors got from Lucasfilm to align with the upcoming movie).

Interestingly, while the characters in the comics usually refer to it as just "the Republic", the narration boxes sometimes call it "the Old Republic", I think because the idea of multiple Star Wars projects jumping around the timeline wasn't really something that was done at the time. Since everyone was used to a general forward progression in the timeline, they had to remind the reader every once in a while "hey, this is happening in the past".

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
There's a wookiepedia article for bananas so maybe they have banana republics too

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, I never liked that the EU definition emerged as the Old Republic being pre-1000 BBY, because not only does that make Tarkin's statement make no sense, but there are plenty of sources from the Bantam era where Old Republic refers to what would later become the prequel era.

I think the "Old Republic = 1000 BBY" identification only emerged after Attack of the Clones when there was the combined statement of the Republic only being 1000 years old and there not being a war since the foundation of the Republic, so there needed to be a way to reconcile that with both the ANH "1000 generations" line and all the wars that the EU had already featured.
Nah, the line in Attack of the Clones is

Ol' Sheev posted:

I will not let this Republic that has stood for a thousand years be split in two.
which seems like a short time for a thing to last when someone like Yoda was almost around for all of it. I assume we're meant to take Palpatine metaphorically, but Star Wars fans are painfully literal so... :shrug:

Jazerus posted:

during the prequel era "old republic" means the pre-ruusan reformation republic because it's contrasting the old republic to the current republic. during and after the empire, "old republic" means all forms of republic pre-empire
The Ruusan Reformation happened as a result of the Jedi-Sith war, so that tracks exactly to the "1000 years ago" silliness.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 30, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

The Ruusan Reformation happened as a result of the Jedi-Sith war, so that tracks exactly to the "1000 years ago" silliness.

it was specifically invented to calm down the rampaging nerds iirc

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, and it turned Jerec into an incredible idiot as well, since they retconned him to being one of the Jedi Temple's librarians (and Jocasta Nu's padawan). Him not knowing about Ruusan, its significance in the history of the Jedi, and its impact on the Republic's calendar is like a Vatican librarian not knowing what "BC" refers to.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, I never got the impression that Jerec was particularly smart or anything...

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Yeah, in-game he's definitely just a power-hungry guy (Sariss kind of seems like the brains of the group), but apparently the novella tie-ins made him more of a manipulator, and then they made him Jocasta Nu's padawan in that post-prequel EU cleanup period where they had Abel Peña doing magazine articles and RPG supplements to consolidate all the weird disparate lore bits that had popped up over the years.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 31, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yoda asked jocasta nu to take on jerec as a padawan because he was a meathead that needed some book learnin'

it didn't stick

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It's a pretty good prank to put the blind guy in charge of the library. I wonder if holograms come in braille?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

To be fair, I never got the impression that Jerec was particularly smart or anything...
His role in the Galaxy of Fear book he’s in involves him being tricked into flying his Star Destroyer into an asteroid field by a 13 year old, and a space worm destroying it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That checks out.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Arquinsiel posted:

That checks out.

Also gets trolled into near-rage by Thrawn in one of the audiobooks based on the Dark Forces game(s) as I recall, though he had the decency to recognize and respect Thrawn for pulling it off.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
A long time ago there was a thread called Let Us Read Terrible Star Wars Books For You which IIRC spun out of this thread originally. I believe the thread was goldmined at some point, but a lot of the images no longer worked. So funny story, I saved local copies of 62 (all?) pages of that thread with the intention of reading them on a flight I took a decade ago, failed to move them on to my laptop, then forget about them until yesterday when I was trying to clean up my hard drive. So if anybody wants to relive the glory days complete with 30 kb images, I've uploaded a zip file to my drive here.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rochallor posted:

A long time ago there was a thread called Let Us Read Terrible Star Wars Books For You which IIRC spun out of this thread originally. I believe the thread was goldmined at some point, but a lot of the images no longer worked. So funny story, I saved local copies of 62 (all?) pages of that thread with the intention of reading them on a flight I took a decade ago, failed to move them on to my laptop, then forget about them until yesterday when I was trying to clean up my hard drive. So if anybody wants to relive the glory days complete with 30 kb images, I've uploaded a zip file to my drive here.

That's awesome! The thread is actually linked in the OP of this thread, and I think most of the images work again, but you do need archives to read it, so I just went and added your zip link to the OP, too. Thanks!

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 20, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah I wasn't sure what was going on with waffleimages. I know it was borked for a long time, then it got unborked, but not totally? I figured somebody would enjoy it, I certainly did back in the day.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Well that is Fate of the Jedi finally finished after so long! Ironically enough we’ll never know the actual fate of the Jedi unless it gets talked about in Crucible or something.or if you wanna count the Legacy comics which I think I might get too next since Mr,Tattoo Ghost Man in the last book was Darth Krayt the whole time and we were suppose to just know that?! :psyduck:

I’m having a hard time deciding if I like Fate better than LotF or not. They both have strong beginnings with some pretty bad pacing issues in the middle but I suppose other than finding everything surrounding Abeloth to be over the top rediculous I suppose nothing in this series made me mad like some of the stuff that happened in Legacy near the end.

Even as stupid as these storylines were getting I can see how super abrupt everything had to stop when the buyout happened because yikes that’s still a lot of hanging threads left over. Were there ever any statements about what the ultimate goal was gonna be for all of this?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hey, dunno if I asked this, but what's the thread's thoughts on Solo's 11 Scoundrels.

I, personally, really enjoy it. It has enough Zahn-isms, but no character is really omnipowerful and omnipotent. Also, lol at the reference to another Lucas/Ford movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Both series are terrible but the worst stuff is in LOTF. They got Traviss to ragequit so she didn’t contribute to stinking up FOTJ. Crucible doesn’t wrap poo poo up at all other than [spoilers]Lukrle, Leia, and Han finally committing to stepping back and letting the younger generation take charge. Something that was supposed to happen after NJO.[/spoilers] Denning either didn’t get it adequately communicated to him that the EU was over, or didn’t take it seriously because he just sets up more bullshit with Ship and Vestara. That said it’s the least bad thing he’s ever written.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hey, dunno if I asked this, but what's the thread's thoughts on Solo's 11 Scoundrels.

I, personally, really enjoy it. It has enough Zahn-isms, but no character is really omnipowerful and omnipotent. Also, lol at the reference to another Lucas/Ford movie.
It’s pretty fun. I wish it had leaned harder on other heist movies for inspiration since I find the Ocean’s movies kind of insufferable.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, Scoundrels is one of the best things Zahn has written since the Bantam era. Partly because it's so refreshing - I think it's his only book without Thrawn and the Chiss being prominently featured, but also it's so different from even the typical "Zahn plot." Also there are a surprising number of EU references to it. It connects (slightly, but it still connects) to the obscure Yavin Vassilika comic from the early 2000s. It's a good corrective to the narrative about Zahn not reading or respecting the work of other Star Wars authors.

Casimir Radon posted:

Denning either didn’t get it adequately communicated to him that the EU was over, or didn’t take it seriously because he just sets up more bullshit with Ship and Vestara.

Crucible was published mid-2013 but I think Denning finished writing it before the Disney sale. Either that or he had already finished the bulk of it and could only massage the ending a bit to take the sale into account. I remember he addressed it at the time.

I remember back in 2016 there were fake listings that went up showing that Denning had been hired to write a new trilogy in the post-ROTJ Disney canon and I am so glad that, for all its faults, the new Disney era has remained free of both him and Traviss.

Is Traviss even still writing? I don't think I've seen anything published by her in close to a decade.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Google says she has this new sci-fi series from last year called Nomad where Hard Men AI have to make Hard Choices about which parts of humanity get to survive the coming apocalypse. It's not quite Mandalorians or the COG flavor of military worship that we're used to but i guess you write what you know right? :allears:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, Scoundrels is one of the best things Zahn has written since the Bantam era. Partly because it's so refreshing - I think it's his only book without Thrawn and the Chiss being prominently featured, but also it's so different from even the typical "Zahn plot." Also there are a surprising number of EU references to it. It connects (slightly, but it still connects) to the obscure Yavin Vassilika comic from the early 2000s. It's a good corrective to the narrative about Zahn not reading or respecting the work of other Star Wars authors.

What's funny about Scoundrels is how similar it is to several other non-Star Wars Zahn novels. He loves writing sci-fi heist books. The Quadrail books are all like that, as is The Icarus Hunt.

The Icarus Hunt was my favorite book back in high school and college, I've read it countless times. When I finally met Zahn at Celebration Orlando in 2017, and I had him sign my weathered and worn out paper back copy of Icarus Hunt, he said, "Oh! A classic!" That thing is sitting on my nightstand right now.

Scoundrels was like a crossover of his genres. If you liked Scoundrels, I really recommend the books I just mentioned. They're a lot of fun!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

There, proof...not that anyone was asking for it.

It was a big deal for me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One of the funny things about Scoundrels is it moves the beginning of the Han/Lando feud even closer to ESB. Originally it seems like it was implied that losing the Falcon to Han was the start, then Crispin has the Ylesia liberation end up with all the smugglers Han brought in getting ripped off, then a comic has it be the Yavin Vassilika affair start it. Zahn has Lando kind of, if not forgive him for these past issues, at least grit his teeth because he needs some money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've only read (I think) one non-SW Zahn book, and I thought it was The Icarus Hunt, but looking it up now it might have been Cobra I was thinking of. I do remember thinking the Quadrail books looked fun. Looking it up now, so many of his books that I thought were pre-Star Wars were actually after

Casimir Radon posted:

One of the funny things about Scoundrels is it moves the beginning of the Han/Lando feud even closer to ESB. Originally it seems like it was implied that losing the Falcon to Han was the start, then Crispin has the Ylesia liberation end up with all the smugglers Han brought in getting ripped off, then a comic has it be the Yavin Vassilika affair start it. Zahn has Lando kind of, if not forgive him for these past issues, at least grit his teeth because he needs some money.

If I remember right, the comic still has it be the Ylesia stuff from the Crispin book. It's definitely brought up, and Han's girlfriend Bria is in it.

I haven't thought about the Bria character in years probably before thinking about this now brought her back to memory. I wonder if she was an influence on Qira from the Solo movie, in that she basically has a similar backstory then goes the opposite direction.