Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Helith posted:

I'm sorry, it's us, we have all your rain

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1577854772660490240

would you like it back now?

The wild thing is, having a series of rolling floods that seem to occur in every season is the better of two options, given what El Niño years are like. During the 2019/2020 fires like 600 people died of smoke inhalation alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me

thank you Sebastian/ Samuel E Wright

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Helith posted:

Im in outback Aus, proper semi-arid climate. We built a huge dam start off the year that's big enough to capture 1 in 60 year rain events.

It's overflowed 4 times this year, we've had to set up a permanent pump to keep it down so it doesn't chew out one of the walls.

The coming drought will suuuccccckkkkkkk (or this is new normal, who knows)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
that's why it's hotta under de watta

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Helith posted:

Yes, please, it will help save your wombats.

Portland area is also getting bonus smog, so it's really uncomfortable.

There's a smoldering wildfire about 40 miles from me that isn't contained at all, and I'm trying not to think about what's going to happen with two more dry, hot weeks.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

lol a bunch of my plants rotted when it was pouring rain in june and now theyre all fried and crispy because it hasnt rained properly here since then once afaicr

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

silicone thrills posted:

I feel like such a limp moron watering my plants man.

I gotta get a drip irrigation system set up if this is gonna be our future.

Sorry, but you’re not allowed to adapt to changing environmental conditions in any way.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

we are all hosed here

lambs to the slaughter

Under the sea

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001
*xylophone solo played on bars of bone upon which horrors that defy explanation as if ones own tongue were trying to hide from what it must describe*

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

silicone thrills posted:

I feel like such a limp moron watering my plants man.

I gotta get a drip irrigation system set up if this is gonna be our future.

otoh they rule, otoh I've really pay attention to the way the soil is drying out this fall, running the circuits longer and punching in new and bigger emitters to keep up with it. What used to keep the plants happy doesn't anymore. I'm sure this is fine.

The Oldest Man posted:

lol a bunch of my plants rotted when it was pouring rain in june and now theyre all fried and crispy because it hasnt rained properly here since then once afaicr

But at least the corn got a chance to ripen. I waited so long for the soil to warm up to germination temperature that I didn't think there was enough growing season left.

Environment Canada has downgraded their prediction for the east coast of the island from 60% chance of showers on Monday to 40%. I'm going to assume that's actually 0% at this point. If we do get rain it will probably be another of those "leave circular marks in the dust" events.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

OrangéJéllo posted:

*xylophone solo played on bars of bone upon which horrors that defy explanation as if ones own tongue were trying to hide from what it must describe*

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Hexigrammus posted:

otoh they rule, otoh I've really pay attention to the way the soil is drying out this fall, running the circuits longer and punching in new and bigger emitters to keep up with it. What used to keep the plants happy doesn't anymore. I'm sure this is fine.

But at least the corn got a chance to ripen. I waited so long for the soil to warm up to germination temperature that I didn't think there was enough growing season left.

Environment Canada has downgraded their prediction for the east coast of the island from 60% chance of showers on Monday to 40%. I'm going to assume that's actually 0% at this point. If we do get rain it will probably be another of those "leave circular marks in the dust" events.

That's 40% of the forecast area predicted to get rained on, not that you individually have a 4-in-10 chance of receiving rain

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I planted a couple peppers for the hell of it in May and now they're shooting up and flowering.

Seattle is the new pepper growing region lol

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Failson posted:

Yes, please, it will help save your wombats.

Portland area is also getting bonus smog, so it's really uncomfortable.

There's a smoldering wildfire about 40 miles from me that isn't contained at all, and I'm trying not to think about what's going to happen with two more dry, hot weeks.

gonna be eighty fuckin four today in the portland burbs lmao what the hell

otoh the sun has been good for my little porch garden, which had kind of a rough start this spring

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BoothBaberGinsburg posted:

gonna be eighty fuckin four today in the portland burbs lmao what the hell

otoh the sun has been good for my little porch garden, which had kind of a rough start this spring

Shifty Nipples posted:

it's some fuckin bullshit i tell you hwhat

Shifty Nipples posted:

bring back the flood of '96

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the pnw stands for pathetic no water

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Real hurthling! posted:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Someone in my neighborhood garden patch planted a banana tree ages ago and it looks cool but no one ever thought it would produce.

It fruited this year.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

lol

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

500excf type r posted:

That's 40% of the forecast area predicted to get rained on, not that you individually have a 4-in-10 chance of receiving rain

Highly localized cells that just dump water on the highways, flushing the summer's accumulation of tire dust into the streams and poisoning the fry of any salmon that successfully spawned.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

silicone thrills posted:

Someone in my neighborhood garden patch planted a banana tree ages ago and it looks cool but no one ever thought it would produce.

It fruited this year.

orange you glad they planted bananas?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

RandomBlue posted:

/

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

RandomBlue posted:

Wheany posted:

/

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

It fruited this year.

good for that tree

did you eat one?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Nah I hope whoever planted it enjoys the fruits of their labor tho. I don't have a plot there, I just like to walk through and ooohhh and ahhh at the stuff people got growing

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

silicone thrills posted:

Nah I hope whoever planted it enjoys the fruits of their labor tho. I don't have a plot there, I just like to walk through and ooohhh and ahhh at the stuff people got growing

if its bananas wouldnt that technically be the berries of their labour

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Look at this lovely mixed berry spread I made it’s got all the classics like tomatoes and eggplants and pumpkins!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

500excf type r posted:

This is actually completely wrong. Rain chances are point probabilities, it has zero to do with aerial coverage. A 40% chance of rain does in fact mean, if you had ten setups with similar conditions it would rain in four of them.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

I know this isn't the place for sincerity, but growing up here, these new-normal dry arid years are just breaking the last shred of mental health I've got.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

move to the north east
it rains here and the temperature goes from 0 to 100 so nobody makes embarrassing posts about how its 84 degrees halp im dying

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Failson posted:

I know this isn't the place for sincerity, but growing up here, these new-normal dry arid years are just breaking the last shred of mental health I've got.

Failson, if you can’t be sincere in the weather thread I’m not sure you could be sincere anywhere

And yeah the bottom line is I want it to start raining again so we can watch everyone realize they’ve forgotten how to drive in rain over the summer

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Failson posted:

this thread and the biosphere thread are exactly the places for sandwiching sincerity between shitposts tbh

they are less informative threads and more a loose collection of people sitting around shooting the poo poo as the world turns to ashes

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

move to the north east
it rains here and the temperature goes from 0 to 100 so nobody makes embarrassing posts about how its 84 degrees halp im dying

i'm from texas so the heat is whatever, but my fall dresses ain't gonna wear themselves :colbert:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Hexigrammus posted:

theres a field of corn ive driven past every week for months and not a single ear on any of the stalks. they're drying out now so im guessing the whole field was a loss and they've stopped watering it

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Failson posted:

blatman posted:

this thread and the biosphere thread are exactly the places for sandwiching sincerity between shitposts tbh

they are less informative threads and more a loose collection of people sitting around shooting the poo poo as the world turns to ashes

adding on to this most serious topic megathreads in cspam - biosphere collapse, doomsday economics, the health care threads are all places you can sincerely engage with fellow goons

most posts in them are not that, but the doompostiest threads all understand what they do to brains

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
The end of the world gets everyone down sometimes.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Complications posted:

adding on to this most serious topic megathreads in cspam - biosphere collapse, doomsday economics, the health care threads are all places you can sincerely engage with fellow goons

most posts in them are not that, but the doompostiest threads all understand what they do to brains

covid thread and epstein thread, same vibe usually

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
there are multiple fragile bubbles keeping American society afloat, it's just a question of which one pops first and in what order the others follow

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

there are multiple fragile bubbles keeping American society afloat, it's just a question of which one pops first and in what order the others follow

the bubbles are all eminently sturdy and robust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they have bubble solution mixed with a plastic that makes the bubbles more sturdy now. since plastic film getting everywhere is probably nbd this is good and safe

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 15:39 on Oct 9, 2022