Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anybody know the best app for playing audiobooks transferred from a PC? Like a player where you can import files and the like rather than only buying them in-app

BookPlayer

(no iPad version though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Violator posted:

If you use Plex, Prologue is terrific.

Not sure what Plex is, are you referring to the health science database that’s Google’s first result?

I’m just looking for something I can import mp3s etc of audiobooks into and it all be organised in an intuitive way

Bound and Bookplayer both look excellent, thanks for the recs!

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 27, 2022

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Not sure what Plex is, are you referring to the health science database that’s Google’s first result?

I’m just looking for something I can import mp3s etc of audiobooks into and it all be organised in an intuitive way

I think Downcast does this, without a cost. Take a look there.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Bound and Bookplayer both look excellent, thanks for the recs!

Plex is a Netflix for your own media library. You have to have the server software installed on a computer somewhere, not really worth it for this if you aren’t already using it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

tuyop posted:

Plex is a Netflix for your own media library. You have to have the server software installed on a computer somewhere, not really worth it for this if you aren’t already using it.

I have it on my laptop and paired with a few minutes setup and a $4.99 app purchase could stream all my music with it but just use it for tv and movies.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I have it on my laptop and paired with a few minutes setup and a $4.99 app purchase could stream all my music with it but just use it for tv and movies.

Yeah I guess “worth it” really depends. I do agree that the app looks real slick

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anyone else on 16.0.2 using Spark as their email client have notifications disappear quickly and the badge icon either not display the correct number of unread emails or not display at all?

What's weird is this didn't happen during the 16 betas at all.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic posted:

Anyone else on 16.0.2 using Spark as their email client have notifications disappear quickly and the badge icon either not display the correct number of unread emails or not display at all?

What's weird is this didn't happen during the 16 betas at all.

I’ve had that happen over the years with Spark. Usually toggling notification badges in the app and restarting my phone has fixed it. If not I’ve sent them angry tweets before and that made me feel better.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I moved off Gmail to Fastmail and switched back to Apple Mail with iOS 16 (and am eagerly awaiting Ventura for better search on Mac) so this doesn't really affect me:

Spark has now paywalled some basic features, and all non-premium emails have 'Sent with Spark' under the signature.

I guess they were missing out on a lot of potential income only charging enterprise and team customers. It's also now available on Windows.

I don't begrudge any company moving to subscription models, but it sucks to have an app auto-update and put features you previously had access to behind a paywall. The usual good faith way to do it is to give existing customers the features they already had beforehand…

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

101 posted:

I moved off Gmail to Fastmail and switched back to Apple Mail with iOS 16 (and am eagerly awaiting Ventura for better search on Mac) so this doesn't really affect me:

Spark has now paywalled some basic features, and all non-premium emails have 'Sent with Spark' under the signature.

I guess they were missing out on a lot of potential income only charging enterprise and team customers. It's also now available on Windows.

I don't begrudge any company moving to subscription models, but it sucks to have an app auto-update and put features you previously had access to behind a paywall. The usual good faith way to do it is to give existing customers the features they already had beforehand…

They might feel a little crunched lately because they’re in Ukraine. I too use Fastmail but switched away from Spark due to account security concerns and general uncertainty after spring 2022.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

tuyop posted:

Yeah I guess “worth it” really depends. I do agree that the app looks real slick

it owns. compare it to all your other fidollar shakes

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

They might feel a little crunched lately because they’re in Ukraine. I too use Fastmail but switched away from Spark due to account security concerns and general uncertainty after spring 2022.

you don't trust apps made in Ukraine?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

101 posted:

Welp :smith:

I checked out Fastmail but it starts at $3/month and I've already got enough things I'm paying for monthly and don't want another one. Guess I'll keep using the free version of Spark until I find it to be completely unusable.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
lmao I can't understand these priorities

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Crime on a Dime posted:

Those are two different sentences. I don't think maw has an issue with them being in Ukraine. Just that, it explains why they want a bigger revenue stream now.

People's security concerns with Spark are about them storing all your emails on their server.

Rageaholic posted:

Welp :smith:

I checked out Fastmail but it starts at $3/month and I've already got enough things I'm paying for monthly and don't want another one. Guess I'll keep using the free version of Spark until I find it to be completely unusable.

Fair enough. I was trying to get rid of as much Google stuff as possible, wanted something that played nicely with IMAP standards so I could get push in Apple Mail, and wanted to switch to my own domain so I'm not vendor locked in the future.

Fastmail ticked all those boxes and I honestly have zero complaints. Great service.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Anybody know the best app for playing audiobooks transferred from a PC? Like a player where you can import files and the like rather than only buying them in-app

I don't know if it's the "best" because it's the only one I've used, but Bound does all the things I like in an audiobook reader. Can import from desktop or cloud locations.

FCKGW posted:

Lots of mobile plans have unlimited speeds but “video streaming capped at 720p” or whatever. Since Fast.com is a product of Netflix then it makes since it would be throttled on some providers.

I’ve found https://speed.cloudflare.com to be better than Speedtest anyways.

Thanks for this link, I like the way data is presented here over Ookla (also no ads yay!). Lol at Cloudflare showing me getting 20mbs or so down over the work vpn, Oookla says 9mpbs, but Fast.com is saying I'm getting 90mbs.

highme fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 4, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Crime on a Dime posted:

101 posted:

Those are two different sentences. I don't think maw has an issue with them being in Ukraine. Just that, it explains why they want a bigger revenue stream now.

People's security concerns with Spark are about them storing all your emails on their server.

Yeah my more specific security concern was connected to something I read about how they handled account credentials.

My biggest concern for Spark with the war was that it just wouldn’t get updated or that they’d need to shift their product strategy to do such things. Maybe some security concerns from being caught in “cyber crossfire” or having servers seized.

Mail.app does most of what I need anyway and is better integrated so it was an easy choice even if I like how Spark searches and sorts.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If Mail.app did Gmail push, I'd just use that, but alas.

Violator
May 15, 2003

101 posted:

Fair enough. I was trying to get rid of as much Google stuff as possible, wanted something that played nicely with IMAP standards so I could get push in Apple Mail, and wanted to switch to my own domain so I'm not vendor locked in the future.

Fastmail ticked all those boxes and I honestly have zero complaints. Great service.

Same for me. When G-Suite was originally announced as shutting down I switched to Fastmail and have been very happy with it. I don't mind paying for reliable mission critical services.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

If Mail.app did Gmail push, I'd just use that, but alas.

Same.

For now I’m content with using Gmail, especially now that Google finally updated it to work with ProMotion properly.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

101 posted:

Same reasons I did the same, it’s nice having an inbox that isn’t full of spam.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Loved Spark for years. RIP
The cost is a bit steep for me. :(

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i'm gonna throw readdle a year sub for spark cuz they're p cool. will see how i feel after 11 months or so

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Digging all the love for Fastmail in this thread, I’ve been using them for like a decade to host my personal email and they’re great.

My favorite feature is that they are the only service whose push notifications work perfectly with mail.app on all Apple platforms. I tested my domain mail with iCloud’s new-ish native hosting and lol the notification state wouldn’t update across all apps until you opened each one. Like I’d check all my mail on my Mac and have no unread, but the stupid badge would stay present on my phone and iPad until I actually opened mail.app there and THEN it would refresh and update. Whereas, with Fastmail, I know that if I read an email on one platform, it’ll be marked as read and the app/badge updated within a second everywhere else.

Amazed that they’re outdoing Apple’s own poo poo at this game.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Has anyone else had a problem where the Notes app on iOS is not syncing with iCloud? All my settings should be correct (not storing notes locally, have it set with the right iCloud account). My phone doesn't receive updates on a note unless I make a local modification to it. The worse part is that new notes created elsewhere (like on my Mac) won't be seen by my phone unless I restart the Notes app.

My Notes app on my Mac is updating properly so it's just my phone that's having this problem. Anyone else had this?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

drainpipe posted:

Has anyone else had a problem where the Notes app on iOS is not syncing with iCloud? All my settings should be correct (not storing notes locally, have it set with the right iCloud account). My phone doesn't receive updates on a note unless I make a local modification to it. The worse part is that new notes created elsewhere (like on my Mac) won't be seen by my phone unless I restart the Notes app.

My Notes app on my Mac is updating properly so it's just my phone that's having this problem. Anyone else had this?

Is background app updates refresh disabled for it? A few major iOS versions ago, it stopped syncing for me (would sync after a force app exit, but not otherwise) when that was disabled.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Thanks, that seems to have done the trick! Guess I was overzealous in turning off background app refresh. Never would have thought of that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Glad it worked! It's still really bizarre to me that their developers managed to introduce a bug like that (and it saddens me that it still isn't fixed) , but at least the workaround is easy enough.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Thanks astral. I never found that answer when I was looking and I stopped using Notes when it stopped syncing for me - a few iOS versions ago.

I’ve moved to using Notion for everything. It’s ok but I’d like it more if they had more formatting options - for example if I’m pasting chunks of text from different sources, it’d be nice to either strip all formatting or format them all the same.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Do content blockers work in the in app browsers? I could have sworn they did but I've started seeing ads in Apollo when I open links in the in app browser.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I think blockers like 1Blocker are for Safari only. You have to use something like NextDNS for in app browsers.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

canyonero posted:

I think blockers like 1Blocker are for Safari only. You have to use something like NextDNS for in app browsers.

Yeah, it'll work if you can change the in-app browser to Safari, which should pop out that little separate instance of Safari. If you can't, though, then DNS blocking is the best option.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

tuyop posted:

Yeah, it'll work if you can change the in-app browser to Safari, which should pop out that little separate instance of Safari. If you can't, though, then DNS blocking is the best option.

Yeah and having 1Blocker is great but I rely on Chrome.

Except nope I'm transitioning away from Chrome due to their desktop implementation. I had previously been using Chrome iOS because I was logged in to everything and had my bookmarks there but not any more.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I am using Wipr. I rebooted the phone and ads seem to be blocked again in Apollo. I thought they added the ability of in app browsers (not chrome or Firefox) to use content blockers a couple of iOS versions ago.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It depends on the specific in-app browser. Content blockers should work if the app uses the in-app browser that Apple provides (Safari view controller), but not if they build their own.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
On iOS, I want to limit myself from opening social media apps only when there's notifications. Screen Time would be great except it hides the notifications. Any way or app to do this?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Geno posted:

On iOS, I want to limit myself from opening social media apps only when there's notifications. Screen Time would be great except it hides the notifications. Any way or app to do this?

Set up a focus where the apps are off the Home Screen (not disabled) and allow notifications would probably be the fastest

Just don’t peek into the App Library

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I found that throwing all my social apps into a folder so I’m not really looking at their icons every time I unlock my phone at being a surprisingly effective way of not opening them all the time.

Doubly so for ones that I didn’t put in the folder and so have to actively seek out. Those extra couple of taps ended up cutting my time in some apps by 50% probably and basically never checking Instagram at all.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
From reading the info here on just this last page (I haven't visited this thread in months and even 20 and I'm no speed racer reader), I gather that you all are having the same reaction I've had to Spark's aggressive monetization and pricing efforts.

I was hovering my finger of the iOS app to delete it forever along with its data from my iOS devices, but didn't do it.

I also see that the Fastmail for iOS is looking good so far for a replacement, I've just never used it on iOS.

I've had the same concerns about using Airmail on both macOS and iOS since it's developed in Ukraine and I know the Russians are very good at cyberwarfare and have used it heavily against the Ukraine in Putin's war. Make of that what you will.

In the past I've run into problems using Airmail on both platforms because the settings are so complex and have bugs. One example is I kept getting into a Gmail loop trying to use Airmail to add an account. Turned out it was due to Airmail's in-app tokens (I think those are just browser cookies, essentially) getting corrupted, so once I found the Manage Tokens button and deleted them, everything with allowing Airmail to access Gmail worked perfectly.

Also, I know far less about iOS settings and where stuff like browser cookies are hidden, but I'm learning. Incidentally it's also why I've not upgraded to iOS 16 yet, when 16.0 was released, 3 of the first 5 reported bugs in it were ones I'd have run into myself.

I don't have the brass balls first software release testers do (The Zero Day Crowd, in some respects). My background in IT stuff tells me never to do that since it leads to late nights of coffee consumption and sometimes many in a row.

Here is a joke I hope at least some of you will enjoy for the good screenplay writing. Please remember this film was released about 20 years before he killed the nice woman (and mother) on the set of a western movie he was making, that poo poo was awful. That knowledge will likely taint the metaphor and joke I'm trying to make here, or maybe it'll just add to it, I dunno.

Much swearing, many F-bombs, and triggers in this vid, so definitely :nws: at a minimum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elrnAl6ygeM&t=76s

Anton Chigurh fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Anton Chigurh posted:

I also see that the Fastmail for iOS is looking good so far for a replacement, I've just never used it on iOS.

Fastmail on iOS using the native mail.app is the best email experience you can get on Apple stuff. It works perfectly, and is the only setup I’ve found where mail and notification status truly syncs across all devices (even native iCloud mail is worse at this than Fastmail).

I’ve been using Fastmail for years and it’s the only provider I recommend anymore.