Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Pope Guilty posted:

Overwatch has apparently forgotten that I've been playing for years and I'm restricted to a handful of heroes and given a message that I must unlock the others. This is especially annoying given I've been playing as those other characters in OW2 up until now.

yeah wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i played yesterday and everyone was unlocked and now theyre locked again

how tf does this happen

e: seriously could this have launched worse?

Zokari fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 8, 2022

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Zokari posted:

We'll find out when they launch PvE. :frogbon:

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Father Wendigo posted:

We'll find out when they launch PvE. :frogbon:

Will we though?

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

also i just realized i have access to kiriko even though i didnt buy the battle pass

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Zokari posted:

also i just realized i have access to kiriko even though i didnt buy the battle pass

Did you own OW1? aka this exact same game?

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

imagine dungeons posted:

Did you own OW1? aka this exact same game?

that didnt stop them from locking almost every other character!!!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Having kiriko unlocked but not ana was a big wtf moment from me last night

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
And down for maintenance again.

I haven't really played many PC games other than Overwatch and Apex. This many nightly maintenance closedowns normal?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cowslips Warren posted:

And down for maintenance again.

I haven't really played many PC games other than Overwatch and Apex. This many nightly maintenance closedowns normal?

This might shock you but no

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

I never had the FTUE issue until after the patch/update that supposedly fixed it. oops! returning players that get this poo poo are probably going to be saying "gently caress this" more than new players are going to get overwhelmed by being able to pick too many heroes. feels like an issue that could have been fixed by recommending heroes to people

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

I don't want to be too negative here so I will say I've enjoyed my games of Mystery Heroes. I did shred face as Junker Queen for a stretch and that was nice.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I'm a bad dps but I like playing as Sojourn. She makes me feel like I can aim.

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

Zokari posted:

i played yesterday and everyone was unlocked and now theyre locked again

how tf does this happen

I got the locked hero bug tonight too, and just :lol: at this point. What does the code look like that it could possibly trigger locking arbitrarily half the roster?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

8 minute queue for tank and 5 minute queue for dps

people don't want to play queueverwatch they haven't fix it lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lmao they just put a new maintenance note on the launcher for right now after the servers went back down.

Just take it offline and fix it my guys, just let it go for like half a day then be done.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lmao @ the ~hero unlock~ poo poo causing so many issues

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Furnaceface posted:

Sojourn is fun, even in the hands of a terrible player like me, but in a game with super exaggerated voice lines she sounds like the least Canadian person ever. That sucks more than anything else they added or removed. :colbert:

e: She has a ketchup chips spray. OK, I can work with this.

expect their next canadian hero to be an indigenous mountie

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I don’t understand why my aim is bad in Overwatch.
In a game like Valorant for example I consistently get kills and headshots.
In this game it’s like 80% of my shots miss.

I don’t get it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

overwatch is the most mechanically demanding mainstream fps game for aiming b/c they decided to stick w/ the instant ad strafing cracked out movement combined with strong healing

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

xgalaxy posted:

I don’t get it.

it's a combination of higher movement speed, models with wildly varying heights, a lack of any kind of horizontal momentum so that you can wiggle in place effectively with AD, and greatly increased verticality

the secret to OW is that, unless you're aiming at a large target that you can track reliably, you have to flick to be able to land most of your shots. my aim is miserable when i'm trying to accurately track targets and passable when i'm twitching my wrist and hoping for the best

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

xgalaxy posted:

I don’t get it.

What the last two posters said + be aware of maintaining stable FPS as hardware lag will gently caress you hard. I can't explain it succinctly but essentially if you aren't maintaining stable FPS your game state will be ever so slightly 'out of sync' with the server.

Try lowering your graphics quality if you haven't and be mindful that during hectic fights your FPS may drop despite seeming stable in like spawn or the training area.

im depressed lol fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 8, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Vermain posted:

my aim is miserable when i'm trying to accurately track targets and passable when i'm twitching my wrist and hoping for the best

I dont play dps a lot and when i do i dont often play hitscan but when i play ashe i make an alarming amount of headshots just wildly doing this instead of carefully aiming

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the dichotomy of OW having heroes that require some of the most cracked aiming and flick shots in modern FPSes coexisting with the autoaim gorilla man has always been deeply amusing to me honestly

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I dont play dps a lot and when i do i dont often play hitscan but when i play ashe i make an alarming amount of headshots just wildly doing this instead of carefully aiming

i think it's because making a conscious effort to track falls apart when you're trying to hit a tracer that may as well be in a quantum superposition, since it requires a predictability in movement that isn't really there unless you have the analytical abilities of kasparov. flicking is far more of a "the model is here right now" thing, and if you're fast enough and accurate enough you'll land it. it's overriding the natural tendency to try and foresee a future position in favor of just blasting 'em where they actually are in a 0.1s period of time

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 8, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also keep in mind counter-strike/valorant makes it a lot easier to hit people than a lot of other fps games

low ttk, slow acceleration to counter-strafe, getting tagged by bullets causes players to be snared, players need to be at ~0 movement speed to shoot accurately, and the gameplay revolves heavily around being better at pre-aiming where people are already going to be which makes aiming a lot easier

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I get the need, but I can't believe they're doing a multi-hour maintenance for the second prime time evening in a row.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It was a good idea to make Overwatch 2 free to play, but people move on from free to play games extremely fast, especially if their launch isn’t working. The longer Blizzard can’t get their poo poo together, the faster Overwatch is just going to return back to being a mostly dead game again.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Maybe they should have waited a few days before doing the viewer giveaway thing because now they're just streaming cinematics because they can't turn their stream off.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Veev posted:

Maybe they should have waited a few days before doing the viewer giveaway thing because now they're just streaming cinematics because they can't turn their stream off.

on this note, i dunno if it's just the twitch app being garbage, but i had to exit out of seagull's stream and reenter after getting the kiriko voiceline, since it was counting her skin as a separate "quest" and didn't track any time after it completed until i refreshed

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Vermain posted:

on this note, i dunno if it's just the twitch app being garbage, but i had to exit out of seagull's stream and reenter after getting the kiriko voiceline, since it was counting her skin as a separate "quest" and didn't track any time after it completed until i refreshed

I think it said you have to accept the first reward before it starts counting for the next one, which would be a nice surprise for anyone leaving the streams on overnight.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
My experience with OW2

Day 1: logged on late at night, queue was pretty bad, but not horrible, left it on while I played some path of exile. Played two games of quickplay which felt decent-good, but were over quickly. Clicked ranked out of curiosity and made it 2/3 through a game before getting booted back to 30,000 on the queue screen, gave up for the night.

Day 2: agreed to play a couple games with a friend who likes OW a lot and it took a while to figure out why the game was returning a 'user can't be added to group as they're on the wrong version of the game' bug when we would try to group up. Left game and sat through queue again before googling the solution. Played 1.5 games before getting booted out back into 15+ minute queue. gave up for the night.

Day 3: was going to play with some friends who were playing and wanted +1, plans cancelled due to primetime maintenance.

My impression of the gameplay as it currently stands is actually not bad from what little of it I've played: it seems largely like there's a more coherent vision for what they think the game should be and I think tanks and supports being stronger was a really good change. imo the games I played of ow2 felt much better than the beta version did. This is probably the most positive thing I've said about OW in probably 4+ years, btw. Overall though, my experience has been that the server issues are so loving bad that the game is all but unplayable unless you're really dedicated to sitting in queues. Idk what's going on over there, but I can't believe it launched like this.

Also they would have a far better game if they deleted widowmaker straight up.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 8, 2022

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

It's nuts that blizzard launched wotlk classic, a new d2r ladder season and ow2 within a week of each other. Their server engineers are probably pretty unhappy right now

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

It's nuts that blizzard launched wotlk classic, a new d2r ladder season and ow2 within a week of each other. Their server engineers are probably pretty unhappy right now

Yeah...I'm almost certainly an outlier demographic, but I'm actually interested in both OW2 and D2R season 2 and am probably just going to skip season 2 outside of playing yesterday while OW2 was down as a D2 ladder reset requires full attention to really get the full experience. I can't believe they launched it all in the same week rather than at least giving a week or 2 of buffer.

In unrelated news, the URL for linking your bnet to twitch for the drop is currently returning 502 bad gateway so you can't even link accounts right now.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im back in

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
had a great time laughing at every aspect of this launch

finally played it last night w/ a friend, duo queue support, got a potg on brigette and then out dpsed dps as moira while still topping healing. overwatch! its still bad!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
moira owns sorry ur a lame

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Minera posted:

had a great time laughing at every aspect of this launch

finally played it last night w/ a friend, duo queue support, got a potg on brigette and then out dpsed dps as moira while still topping healing. overwatch! its still bad!

BabyRyoga posted:

You essentially punish the enemy team for being bad and not dealing with her more than any other healer in terms of raw numbers. But at diamond or masters and above she starts to fall off because its way less likely you can put yourself in risky positions to DPS and still live. Even players in plat will probably hit most of their shots if you test them too much, they just have much shittier positional awareness.

re: Moira. If you are popping off with her that much, it's because you are probably playing against bad people

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Buh. Getting disconnected immediately when I try to log in now. The two games I've managed to play so far have been fun I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Got in to three games. The first two said I didn't pick a character and then pushed me back to main menu. The third I got to select, and then spent the minute trying to actually leave the spawn point, and then turn in circles repeatedly. I suspect my team had similar issues because the enemy team pushed through in record time.