Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
i had a self found monk and started working on a cleric but the cleric got stuck at 21 because Unrest loving sucks and you either find a good party or do nothing at all. game's fun but it has some severe issues sometimes, especially when you don't have friends to level with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i absolutely do not have what it takes to play this game at this point in my life, modern mmos and even live eq have spoiled me too much

ty to all the goons that chimed in to help earlier but holy dang I must have had crazy mental fortitude when this stuff was new

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I bet you tried to open the map and panicked

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i did in fact do that, which in retrospect is weird because i knew there were no maps going in

second time i panicked was when I remembered I had to keep track of my /loc before dying, except I remembered this after dying

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Weak

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The biggest problem with p99 for me is that I have to remember to grab my corpse BEFORE rage quitting for two weeks or I have to get all my gear again

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

30.5 Days posted:

The biggest problem with p99 for me is that I have to remember to grab my corpse BEFORE rage quitting for two weeks or I have to get all my gear again

Nah, the GMs will summon your corpse if it poofs. I've had it happen a few times now.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

blatman posted:

i did in fact do that, which in retrospect is weird because i knew there were no maps going in

second time i panicked was when I remembered I had to keep track of my /loc before dying, except I remembered this after dying

take that loving AV off you pathetic scoundrel!!!!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol using a map program. I'll never not have the hand drawn maps in a browser tab.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

How, after all this time, do you not have every zone memorized?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

shirunei posted:

take that loving AV off you pathetic scoundrel!!!!!

i will not

it reminds me of when i had a pair

edit: also i'm probably gonna give it another shot but i'm gonna do my original main of a human necro

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

blatman posted:

i will not

it reminds me of when i had a pair

edit: also i'm probably gonna give it another shot but i'm gonna do my original main of a human necro

Yeah, starting off with an untwinked melee is the most brutal way to go on P99. Necro/enc for a first char are far more enjoyable. Just try to stick it out to level 12 or so and you'll start to pick up steam.

If you do decide to go necro I'd encourage you to check out this guide - https://wiki.project1999.com/Sesserdrix%27s_All_in_One_Necromancer_Strategy_Guide

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Gnome Necro. Dump creation points into Dexterity.

Melee caster gets a bunch of cheap dexterity gear, memorizes Vampiric Embrace, and goes to town on everything.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

honestly that gnome necro bone knight strategy sounds hilarious but i'm just gonna do the same strat as human, maybe slightly less effective but i get a rad eyepatch

now what I should have done was started in freeport because these sewers are a dumpster fire but I did luck out and get a cracked staff from my first mob, pawned it for all the good level 1 and 4 spells so when I have time to sit down and play later in the weekend I can just poopsock it for a few levels

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

You will regret the night blindness.

My bone knight is 18 and kicking rear end. I kinda sorta miss being an iksar though.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
Iksar is the minmax pick because of racial regen, but drat are they stupid looking in robes. Also, I'm pretty sure you get ultra/infravision spells outright if not built into your DMF/Lich spells right?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

its been awhile and i can't really look up the wiki on my phone atm but i'm pretty sure necro gets deadeye or something at a fairly low level for night-seeing

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol using a map program. I'll never not have the hand drawn maps in a browser tab.

wow, never memorized how to run through Skyshrine (except to armor quest mobs or Yelinak)

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

retpocileh posted:

Iksar is the minmax pick because of racial regen, but drat are they stupid looking in robes.

Wow which dumpster did you find this opinion in

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

regen is really good for necros

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Iks look amazing in robes and they also have the best 2hs animation. These are just facts.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

retpocileh posted:

Iksar is the minmax pick because of racial regen, but drat are they stupid looking in robes. Also, I'm pretty sure you get ultra/infravision spells outright if not built into your DMF/Lich spells right?

If you aren't in skeleton form, are you even necroing?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Made back all the exp I lost and I'm now comfortably in 34 with new spells. I got a ton of extra cash from grinding back up so I should be able to afford the rest of my spells for a long time.

Thinking about doing that Testament of Vanear quest. Not sure how heavily camped the Highpass NPC is, though.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

are SKs any good at soloing? i dumped all my cash into my cleric but sitting at unrest LFG 24/7 loving blows dick so im considering iksar sk

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Dizz posted:

are SKs any good at soloing? i dumped all my cash into my cleric but sitting at unrest LFG 24/7 loving blows dick so im considering iksar sk

If you want to solo as a melee, monk and SK. But they’ll be worse at soloing than say a shaman, necro, enchanter, mage, etc.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

DizzyBum posted:

Made back all the exp I lost and I'm now comfortably in 34 with new spells. I got a ton of extra cash from grinding back up so I should be able to afford the rest of my spells for a long time.

Thinking about doing that Testament of Vanear quest. Not sure how heavily camped the Highpass NPC is, though.

Can't speak for green, but on blue I don't think he is anymore. Killed him last week and he was all by his lonesome, just watch out for the super bandit in there.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Twinked melees can really destroy poo poo early on though, and they’re great for duoing

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

i'd be fresh. too lazy to resell my cleric stuff and liquidate it to SK gear.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I've been reading this thread for years, but haven't played past level 7 or so. I'm pretty interested in playing bard, for group content since soloing doesnt interest me. Is bard a good chill group choice? I've seen jokes about EQ bards developing carepl tunnel, definitely don't want that frantic of a style of gameplay.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

I've started a halfling cleric on green named Inkernal, currently level 7. It's my first Green character but the lower level zones look a little more active than on blue. Any other goon noobs feel free to hit me up for grouping if we are close.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mustang posted:

I've been reading this thread for years, but haven't played past level 7 or so. I'm pretty interested in playing bard, for group content since soloing doesnt interest me. Is bard a good chill group choice? I've seen jokes about EQ bards developing carepl tunnel, definitely don't want that frantic of a style of gameplay.

To play a Bard well you want to weave songs which is an active playstyle and requires a ton of clicking.

But you could also just throw one song on and chill. Not like everything needs to be minmaxed in a game from 1999

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Bybus Slago posted:

Can't speak for green, but on blue I don't think he is anymore. Killed him last week and he was all by his lonesome, just watch out for the super bandit in there.

He wasn't there last night on Green. Logged in this morning and he was up, so I clobbered him. :thumbsup:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

this necromancer is much more fun than the untwinked sk

i figure i will leave the sk for a future project

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

blatman posted:

Necro is so great. FD, DA, heals, lifetaps, charm, good summoned pets, big dots, snare, fear, etc etc.

My necro is my favorite character these days.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Pratan posted:

You will regret the night blindness.

My bone knight is 18 and kicking rear end. I kinda sorta miss being an iksar though.

I tried a bone knight and got to about 20 or so. I had to continuously remind myself that the build only “kicks rear end” in EQ terms, as in it doesn’t get absolutely plowed by blue con mobs solo like most builds do. There’s still a fair amount of downtime.

Maybe I was playing it wrong though, or fighting the wrong mobs.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

blatman posted:

SK is just a necro that auto attacks more and doesn't have any of the fun spells to cast. Really casters are the way to go for an active playstyle. I love my monk but it's not exactly engaging play aside from pulling or doing splitting shenanigans, my shaman is much more fun.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Ruggan posted:

I tried a bone knight and got to about 20 or so. I had to continuously remind myself that the build only “kicks rear end” in EQ terms, as in it doesn’t get absolutely plowed by blue con mobs solo like most builds do. There’s still a fair amount of downtime.

Maybe I was playing it wrong though, or fighting the wrong mobs.

I can still take even con mobs. I am also twinked to hell. Should be fun for awhile still.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Ruggan can you list your spell set and where/what you're killing? I think you're doing something wrong

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

an iksar marauder posted:

SK is just a necro that auto attacks more and doesn't have any of the fun spells to cast. Really casters are the way to go for an active playstyle. I love my monk but it's not exactly engaging play aside from pulling or doing splitting shenanigans, my shaman is much more fun.

I’m convinced the only reason I played EQ for as long as I did was because pulling/splitting was as engaging as it was. I started a dwarf warrior on release and got stuck at 30 and swapped to monk and it was over.

Perfectly timing your pulls to the pace of whatever group you’re running with or breaking the way mobs teleport through walls for boss pulls is still one of my fondest memories. It always felt like I was doing something. The closest I’ve come to that was when I rolled an ench on P99 and started spinning plates, still fun but it always felt reactive rather than just controlling the flow of how things were going.

Ugh, now I’m thinking about playing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Ruggan can you list your spell set and where/what you're killing? I think you're doing something wrong

This was a few months ago, and I have a new computer without P99 installed, so... unfortunately no. Maybe if I pick it back up at some point.