Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Kerrzhe posted:

you think they would delay an expansion by 6 months?

Fanfest is practically just an expansion hype event, why would they release an expansion right in the middle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kerrzhe posted:

you think they would delay an expansion by 6 months?

Keep in mind that they're deliberately stretching out the patches a little longer, which is gonna add up over time.

By current estimations 6.3 is gonna be in late December-early January (I'm guessing later because they haven't really wanted to release a new patch over Christmas in the past). That puts 6.4 in the April-May region, and 6.5 back in August-September. I probably wouldn't put it in summer 2024, but I would reasonably expect early 2024. It can also give a natural pacing to the Fanfests: NA can be the 7.0 reveal and first job, Europe the full platter including second job, and the Japan fanfest can be 'gently caress yeah that was great, let's talk 7.x now'.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The pattern pretty regularly had the x.0 patches around 4 months after the last Fanfest, up until Endwalker broke it by going 6 months afterwards. There's been a lot of positions needing to be filled in all the recent Live Letters (so much XIV talent helping out on XVI has probably contributed significantly to this) which MIGHT make it later, but if we say 4 months from, say, March, that'll put it in July 2024.

Going by patches, well, it's supposed to be around 4 months between the big numbers now for Endwalker - 6.0 was December 3, 2021. 6.1 was April 12, 2022. 6.2 was August 23, 2022. 6.3 will probably be late December 2022/early January 2023. 6.4 will then likely be May 2023 - just enough time that the Las Vegas Fanfest can use significant panel time to talk about it in retrospective, since it will be the one that has the least amount of info on 7.0, but also too soon to discuss 6.5 in earnest. 6.5 will likely come out in September 2023, with 6.55 coming out October 2023 (probably timed for after Fanfest? it'd be pretty late in the month, but 5.55 was after the Endwalker Fanfest, too). That makes it kind of iffy to come out even in July, since it'd be 9 months after 6.55 (5.55 -> 6.0 was 7 months). April's a little early, though - somewhat traditionally, the game's been a summer release (2.0 was August 27, 2013; 3.0 was June 23, 2015; 4.0 was June 20, 2017; 5.0 was July 2, 2019). They might just shoot for June 2024 - it'd be around 8 months of 6.55, which isn't amazing for the players, but it'd let them "realign" releases back to the old standard and give the team some extra time to incorporate the new hires.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh new lead story designer??

The guy who wrote the dancer quests, the blm quests post HW, the ShB magic role quests and Tataru's grand adventure

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Oh new lead story designer??

The guy who wrote the dancer quests, the blm quests post HW, the ShB magic role quests and Tataru's grand adventure

Specifically it was mentioned he did the 6.2 Tataru quest, possibly because he might've also done the Mhach story.

He's also the guy that worked with Matsuno to implement both his storylines, which is pretty rad.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 8, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

Specifically it was mentioned he did the 6.2 Tataru quest, possibly because he might've also done the Mhach story.

He's also the guy that worked with Matsuno to implement both his storylines, which is pretty rad.

It is pretty rad, but it also doesn't inspire me with much confidence, as I don't really like the Mhach story, or the Matsuno storylines, or the Tataru quests so far.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Tataru isn't done so I can't count it. I liked the Bozja story stuff even though i don't like the BSF gameplay. Ivalice was okay but it must be pretty shaky if you haven't played FFT or FF12. Mhach had some neat stuff but idgaf about the actual sky pirates. So... cautious mild optimism with some concern? Not like the game is written by only one person though

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I really liked all the blm quests and mhach at least. I'm enjoying the tataru quests too

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
it'll be panned for its lack of sad dilfs (dilves?)

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

What a job to get though. "Hey buddy you're on for writing the story after the giant culmination that everyone and their brother thinks is just the greatest. ...Good luck!"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Scanning through the Twitter thread, was the only gameplay-related content discussed "there will be pvp/pve number tweaks in 6.28"?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GloomMouse posted:

Tataru isn't done so I can't count it. I liked the Bozja story stuff even though i don't like the BSF gameplay. Ivalice was okay but it must be pretty shaky if you haven't played FFT or FF12. Mhach had some neat stuff but idgaf about the actual sky pirates. So... cautious mild optimism with some concern? Not like the game is written by only one person though

It's actually more shaky if you have played them since most of the characters involved in that storyline come off looking bad with the exception of a minor antagonist from FF12.

Ba'gamnan deserved a better fate, even if becoming the Yasunori Matsuda dragon is pretty cool.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I like the Sky Pirates and I want my own Parrock. Make that the next island sanctuary.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Dareon posted:

<Heart of the Party> is very easy to get and feels good to show off, it was my first title and one I wore for quite a while. I generally run with titles not shown to reduce screen clutter, but for some reason (I didn't set it properly) that doesn't apply to alliance raids, and I usually see two or three HotP in Crystal Tower.

Alliance name plate settings are it's own thing separate from party, self, and others. You'll have to tick that box as well.

TopHatGenius posted:

For me it's gotta be a mixup between <Deep Canal Raider>, <The Excruciatingly Excited>, and <The Azure and Omega>.

Also what ever is the latest one unlocked. I'll rock what ever is new for a bit.

Is there a title that is close to "Confusedly Panicked?" that would accurately reflect my constant state.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/1578632447289442305

the utensils rule, the scarecrow scythe is pretty good, the feo ul nouliths are alright, the cloak scythe weapon is decent but kinda bland

The wings are perfect. I've been using the kinna wings to complete my evil faerie SGE glam.

Finally I can really be Oberon, queen of the fae.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Zeruel posted:

it'll be panned for its lack of sad dilfs (dilves?)

deelf

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I am so pumped for spooky scarecrow scythe

Countblanc posted:

Scanning through the Twitter thread, was the only gameplay-related content discussed "there will be pvp/pve number tweaks in 6.28"?

no action changes until 6.3 too which...yeah they're not going to redesign mechanics in a minor patch

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 8, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Blockhouse posted:

no action changes until 6.3 too which...yeah they're not going to redesign mechanics in a minor patch

sure, i just figured they'd talk about the relic, or criterion, or something else coming in .25

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cutlery weapons for Sage is basically as good as Moogle weapons so I'm down for that.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Although it wouldn't kill them to have moogle weapons for the new jobs!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dynamis is still going to be on the west coast, right? Asking because it affects if I decide to move my alt there or my main.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont think they have said but i would assume it will be in the same place as the others.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How long before Fanfest do tickets usually go on sale?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

For whoever is interested in going, I hope however they sell tickets is handled better than the last in person fanfest.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I will be going to fanfest or die trying

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

I will be going to fanfest or die trying

The lineup for die trying isn't very good this year. Go to fanfest.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Servers down. Post glams.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

jjac posted:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

How long before Fanfest do tickets usually go on sale?

I also need to know this cause I also want to go

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

jjac posted:

I was in a frontline when the DDoS or whatever happened and since most of our opponents D/Ced but I and a few others didn't, we cruised to victory.

Glam:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I love Dancer! I love Dancer!

5.3 major spoilers time, Sprout Adventures:

I like Elidibus' game, using the hero ambition and light as a weapon. Clever stuff in a LIGHT GOOD DARK BAD setting as traditional at heart as FF. Buuuuut I did initially groan when his solo began. "Ah, but you slayed those who antagonized you. Is not there blood on your hands? Did they not have loved ones? Perhaps you should've let Lahabrea destroy your world!" Nah m8, miss me with that morality, self defense is perfectly fine. But the longer I ran the solo the more I appreciated what the writers were doing. This wasn't some clown trying to apply pathos at the last second by asking a protagonist if maybe violence is morally wrong at its core and resisting people in conflict is as bad as those who start the conflict, this was a nice glimpse into the build up of Elidibus and how he sees things. Very smooth.

Another fun solo duty... I appreciate that FF14 makes these engaging in gameplay, great story, or both. There's so many times my very meta-aware brain sees a set-up like this and barks out "Oh I can't lose, press 1-2-3 to advance." But make it entertaining or the story meaningful and I can even appreciate stuff like Zenos or Ranjit kicking our asses since it serves a great, classic story beat and Square has always known when to hand the heroes a loss and to punctuate it without being obnoxious. If you've ever wondered what the bad version looks like I believe the all time champion is still Mass Effect 3. Anyways!

This is a deliciously thick content patch with great brisk pace. The last two have had a lot of walk and talk, but hey, it's important to get us accustomed to the way things are, the changes in the setting, and to do a lot of setup that the viewer takes in subconsciously so they appreciate it later. It's nice to do much less talking and go solo duty, dungeon, trial. This entire time that build up includes my precious G'raha being in trouble and petrifying. Nooooo.. he's so good, if anything happens to him, I'll beat up Eorzea, all of it. >:| Same for the lil kid that wants to be an apothecary, I'll protect her smile too.

Dungeon was good! I appreciate the raising of even casual content threat levels. I think it says something that I look at all these light specters and want some of their moves, especially a formal Berserker class. Yes I know Warrior covers most of that. So what. Berserker Boss cool. I appreciate the Shadowbringer trend of raising even casual content threat levels. Speaking of cool, oh boy was that Warrior of Light build up and star gem payoff cool. And that trial is wicked as hell, and boy oh boy did I feel like 200 IQ for remembering Exdeath mechanics, and that mid-fight story beat was great.

Mmm, what a great finale. I could just quote every line G'raha had. Wonderful setups and payoffs. What genius went back to the first try raiding content of 2.x or whatever and grabbed Plucky Exposition NPC #17 and FF3 References Tower to make this expac so wonderful? Everything makes sense, it's a real good trump card, it's great to see the Ascians not as Evil Plot Devices but insane sorcerers of eld that get their comeuppances and get them good, that have their own motives and clash with us because of them, confident in what they believe. Yes, they got me to sympathize with the omnicidal villain again.

Then I hear a clang and Tia is on the ground and I shout No! at my monitor. We've won. But why do I feel so sad?

I've enjoyed FF14 immensely, to the point that I feel silly I didn't get in earlier. After a bit of enduring for ARR I've loved it all and there have been several moments that got me invested. I've definitely felt great excitement, cheered mid fight or been genuinely surprised and shocked and had several moments where things felt heavy and I could see why other people get emotional during the story scenes, and all the memes endure of playing FF14 being a sad experience, especially pushing into EW. But me? I'm a jaded nerd, I can enjoy these things but they're not gonna get me. I might think "I could cry here, I'm certainly a bit sad" but I didn't.

They got me today. Watching him petrify and crying. Aside from loving this wonderful supportive friend, my heart really can't stand a perfectly timed orchestral flourish on top of good sorrowful music in general.

If he doesn't come back in EW I'm going back to the World of Darkness to become a villain. :D

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 8, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Who's this clown?"
THREE YEARS LATER...
"God, why? Why would you do this to my beautiful clown?!"

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Has anyone been to a fanfest sorta describe what’s it’s like? I do not think I will be cosplaying my cat girl if that changes things

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The way you worded it I thought you were ready to beat up the apothecary kid to protect G'raha and hell same. I used to say "yeah ffxiv is good... for an mmo story" but now i just say it's good full stop

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Doomykins posted:

Mmm, what a great finale. I could just quote every line G'raha had. Wonderful setups and payoffs. What genius went back to the first try raiding content of 2.x or whatever and grabbed Plucky Exposition NPC #17 and FF3 References Tower to make this expac so wonderful?

Natsuko Ishikawa wrote both the Crystal Tower raid series and Shadowbringers. So she just brought back her catboy OC from way back!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Consummate Professional posted:

Has anyone been to a fanfest sorta describe what’s it’s like? I do not think I will be cosplaying my cat girl if that changes things

that just means you won't be part of the post fan fest orgy

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

hopeandjoy posted:

Natsuko Ishikawa wrote both the Crystal Tower raid series and Shadowbringers. So she just brought back her catboy OC from way back!

Ah, brilliant!

GloomMouse posted:

The way you worded it I thought you were ready to beat up the apothecary kid to protect G'raha and hell same. I used to say "yeah ffxiv is good... for an mmo story" but now i just say it's good full stop

Haha yeah, edited a bit. I definitely didn't think the word of mouth from fans could be as good as it sounded but it is, FF14 is just a king of the genre and a great bunch of stories to boot.

Oh hey more Eden is open. I'll get to EW someday, I'm being a very good sprout by not even barreling into Eureka or Bozjan yet, though I have been looking at relic weapon models to identify which time sink I want to actually try first. And hey, Bozjan has a nice dancer weapon...

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Not sure if it has been posted, but I just read up on what they said on the Live Letter and:

Yoshi P posted:

The devs are working on enabling the placement of housing estate garden patches at Island Sanctuaries, but there is no estimated release date for this feature yet.

Nice to know they are considering it at the very least.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Zeruel posted:

that just means you won't be part of the post fan fest orgy

I’m pretty sure I’m okay with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Not sure if it has been posted, but I just read up on what they said on the Live Letter and:

Nice to know they are considering it at the very least.

Big if it happens, this will crash the market for all the materials that are primarily sourced from the garden.