Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Sherbert Hoover posted:

it looks dumb, op

mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lobster shirt posted:

no idea about anything gun related but reading hte wikipedia on this is lol

wouldnt it be easier to just design a normal gun? i assume normal guns do not have this proble.m

this has been a problem with machine guns since the beginning

early ones were liquid-cooled but too heavy for infantry use, most modern machine guns instead have removable barrels so if you've got the barrel hot enough that it could warp you yank it out and put in another one

modern gatling-style guns don't have multiple barrels to stay cool, they have multiple barrels so they can boost the firing rate way up, the guns still overheat the same way regular machine guns do in a similar span of time

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

bedpan posted:

That is why everything, all small arms, should be chambered in .45-70 Government.

Someone figured out how to make it more expensive with .458 SOCOM, based on the sales pitch that East Africans don’t feel pain or experience fear lol.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Filthy Hans posted:

G11 Overheating Issues

Because of how the G11 firing cycle worked, there was no way to cool the chamber. Even with metallic cartridges, it would have been an enormous problem. Not only was the rate of fire high, but without an extraction sequence there was no way to get a blast of fresh air to lower the temperature, let alone firing from an open bolt , like machine guns.

When you look at all of the delicate timings and precisely moving parts in the sequence, remember that firearms jam when they get hot, or cook off, or have the rate of fire change, it seems like one of those perfectly spherical cow things where the engineers built a magnificent mechanical clock but a useless firearm because they neglected the problem of heat.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Has the US MIC tried an obvious solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9s2ayNU204&t=8s

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

it was solved in the 1800’s with the development of metallic cartridges.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

All of these were legitimate problems with the G-11 and caseless ammo in general, also I have no clue how one would field strip and clean one and I would love to see someone attempt to. but HOLY poo poo THE ACTION ROTATES INSTEAD OF MOVING BACK AND FORTH IT'S SO SICK

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bedpan posted:

why can't they just design the gun to eject the heat then?

unbelievable this is still a problem

they should put the heat into the bullet so it does extra fire damage

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

maybe they should put it underwater, that would cool things down. give it to the frogmen divers.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Filthy Hans posted:

if looking cool was what mattered then the US soldiers would be rocking the Steyr AUG, which ironically is the best of the 5.56 rifles anyway

:wrong:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
BULLPUP EVERYTHING

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Retromancer posted:

All of these were legitimate problems with the G-11 and caseless ammo in general, also I have no clue how one would field strip and clean one and I would love to see someone attempt to. but HOLY poo poo THE ACTION ROTATES INSTEAD OF MOVING BACK AND FORTH IT'S SO SICK

Goons once upon a time loved that gun more than their own family: it is the closest thing to a functional prop from Aliens.

gradenko_2000 posted:

BULLPUP EVERYTHING

Bullpups are bad, but at least they sort of had a point during the Cold War, but everyone would just go with a carbine for mechanized infantry at this point.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Filthy Hans posted:

if looking cool was what mattered then the US soldiers would be rocking the Steyr AUG, which ironically is the best of the 5.56 rifles anyway

apparently United States ICE uses the aug. wonder how its used.

e: also this tiny town in PA with barely 5,000 people and 12 cops is on a short list of police departments nationally with then p90. what the hell do they do with it lol.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutztown,_Pennsylvania

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 10:27 on Oct 8, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i know about all these weird guns becasue they were in Fallout 2 :tipshat:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still shocked that the SIG SPEAR isn't in the new CoD

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rutibex posted:

they should put the heat into the bullet so it does extra fire damage
caseless ammo = put the heat into the bullet to deal fire damage
regular ammo = save the cases for an alt-fire grapeshot

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Yet again, the AK-47 proves to be the superior weapon.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

90s Solo Cup posted:

Yet again, the AK-47 proves to be the superior weapon.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
while we're posting hosed up lookin guns

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cuttlefush posted:

ah the needler pistol

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
there is a funny possibility that the chinese OICW leads to the squad carrying less poo poo overall, if only because they're in love with squad organic automatic grenade launchers already and 20mm launchers would be a net reduction

but also they're just probably not actually going with it at all for general use, since the qts-11 is based on the qbz-03 and they literally just adopted an entirely new rifle with the qbz-191

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
20mm grenades... that seems too tiny to bother with

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

indigi posted:

20mm grenades... that seems too tiny to bother with

Explosive bullets smaller than that are a warcrime under the Hague Conventions, so I think might drive part of it.

Otherwise, yeah 20mm and 25mm and worked great as cannon ammunition, but autocannon and grenades differ significantly in range, velocity and rate of fire.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cuttlefush posted:

the Degtyaryov 27, also known as Stalin's Record Player

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
how's it shoot underwater

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

weird gun posting had me looking up stake guns and i found this article

https://www.pcgamer.com/an-ode-to-the-stake-gun-and-the-macabre-glory-of-sticking-dudes-to-walls/

quote:

An ode to the stake gun and the macabre glory of sticking dudes to walls

From Painkiller to BioShock 2, game developers understand that sometimes, we want to be sickos.

:sickos:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cuttlefush posted:

how's it shoot underwater

Compared to bullets, darts retain stability in water, for reasons that escape me at the moment. There have been quite a few underwater weapons and they all have elongated projectiles like that.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Compared to bullets, darts retain stability in water, for reasons that escape me at the moment. There have been quite a few underwater weapons and they all have elongated projectiles like that.

seems like directional mass helps

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Oglethorpe posted:

seems like directional mass helps

I think so?

“It is a well-known fact that conventional projectiles lose their velocity quite rapidly when shot in water. This happens because of simple physics laws: the density of water is higher than that of air. That is why it takes just a few meters to completely 'disarm' a regular bullet. To make underwater weapons efficient, you need to use projectiles that are rather long. So, a 115-mm long needle-like flechette was first introduced by the engineers from TsNIITochMash. The special streamline spear-like shape created a caverne (an air pocket) around the bullet thus reducing the resistance. The telescopic sabot in the cartridge's shell casing prevents the combustion gases from being released after the shot is fired and the projectile is pushed out.”

“When shot 5 m underwater, the 5.66 mm projectile reaches its target within the range of 30 m. Lethal range drops as you go deeper underwater making it 20 m when 20 m underwater and just 10 m when 40 m underwater.”

“It can be used out of water if necessary, but barely for anything but self-defense. First of all, its out-of-water lethal range is quite small - 100 m max. Second of all, the assault rifle is designed for underwater use, so when shot out of water, its life resource is spent too fast - instead of the 2000 underwater shots the parts can only survive 180 rounds.”

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

do they have special underwater powder or something in them?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

from what fluid dynamics i can remember im pretty sure that's mostly due to... pressure drag? maybe viscious drag. i don't actually know. maybe neither.

apparently supercavitating ammunition is a thing now. whether it's real, grift, or somewhere in between I don't know either

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

well its got the word super in it so im gonna assume its cool and real

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

lobster shirt posted:

well its got the word super in it so im gonna assume its cool and real

Supercavitation is real. The bullets might be bullshit though.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

The nice thing about AKs is they can have a folding stock.

Also bull pups suck to shoot any rifle-sized ammo because having the barrel 10-or-so inches closer to your face vibrates your head, more pounds your eardrums more, and gives you a larger faceful of poo poo than you might think.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

do they have special underwater powder or something in them?

there's air enclosed in the cartridge, enough for complete combustion

that's why guns can fire underwater or in a vacuum

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

there's air enclosed in the cartridge, enough for complete combustion

that's why guns can fire underwater or in a vacuum

Gunpowder burns itself without any atmosphere after ignition because it's a self-contained fuel (sulfur/carbon) and oxidizer (potassium nitrate) mix. No air required.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

Gunpowder burns itself without any atmosphere after ignition because it's a self-contained fuel (sulfur/carbon) and oxidizer (potassium nitrate) mix. No air required.

oh

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Yeah they should have more ideas about space guns that aren't lasers. The gyrojet was kind of nifty but if I understand correctly a modern m4 or pistol would fire just fine in the vacuum of space, and totally ruin someone's day wearing a spacesuit. Cooling the weapon down might be more challenging than usual but you could wreak some havoc for a while.

I'm sure they thought about it a lot in the cold war. Russian cosmonauts evidently packed pistols in their capsules but only for after splashdown in case of unfriendly wildlife. They wouldn't try to assault and take over the ISS or anything.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

palindrome posted:

Yeah they should have more ideas about space guns that aren't lasers. The gyrojet was kind of nifty but if I understand correctly a modern m4 or pistol would fire just fine in the vacuum of space, and totally ruin someone's day wearing a spacesuit. Cooling the weapon down might be challenging but you could wreak some havoc.

I'm sure they thought about it a lot in the cold war. Russian cosmonauts evidently packed pistols in their capsules but only for after splashdown in case of unfriendly wildlife. They wouldn't try to assault and take over the ISS or anything.

during Star Wars they were researching using space based particle accelerators as weapons but they had no idea how to really make it work, but it sounded cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

palindrome posted:

Yeah they should have more ideas about space guns that aren't lasers. The gyrojet was kind of nifty but if I understand correctly a modern m4 or pistol would fire just fine in the vacuum of space, and totally ruin someone's day wearing a spacesuit. Cooling the weapon down might be more challenging than usual but you could wreak some havoc for a while.

For All Mankind features an arc where alt history US and USSR get into a slapfight on the moon with slightly adapted carbine type guns and the same awkward space suits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51vC_N4RHgM