Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Hokuto posted:

I think I speak for every girl SRW fan when I say we would absolutely date Ryo Asuka in a game given the option

Isn't he literally Satan? I mean not gonna yuck your yum I guess but I don't think he got the job based on his people skills.

Also, to add to the list, G Gundam is a Super Robot series and if we're ignoring canon love interests, about 5/7ths* of its male cast is eminently dateable.

*The main examples of the non-dateable 2/7ths being Sai Saici (who is a child) and Schwarz Bruder/Kyoji (who is a cyborg zombie and also most likely still somewhat contagious; probably best to avoid the most embarrassing possible vector for catching DG-cells)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

EclecticTastes posted:

Isn't he literally Satan?

What's your point

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

EclecticTastes posted:

Isn't he literally Satan?

this just makes it better

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

probably best to avoid the most embarrassing possible vector for catching DG-cells
have you had unprotected sex with this man?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Isn't he literally Satan? I mean not gonna yuck your yum I guess but I don't think he got the job based on his people skills.

I'm pretty sure that was a big part of it, considering how everyone was still following his plans even when he was depowered and going way off script.

The terrifying force of destruction and evil thing is just a kind of fallback.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Evil guys are hot.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

idk man, nanobot possession issues or whatever discounted, kyoji is p cute

powerful sideburns too

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Endorph posted:

have you had unprotected sex with this man?

Look, if your high school health class didn't cover DG Cell transmission, I don't know what to tell ya. :shrug:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Every time I see a scene with someone infected by DG Cells all I can think is "man that must itch like crazy"

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

drrockso20 posted:

Every time I see a scene with someone infected by DG Cells all I can think is "man that must itch like crazy"

Imagine having an itch where the DG Cells are, cause like...they cover the skin. Like, do the cells scratch it for you or do you have to live with an itch you can never scratch?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just finished the post-game and lmao that the Quaestor's superweapon does a Terminator thumbsup before it blows

This wasn't really more satisfying than the original ending, they really could've put more effort in here. Still the game was pretty fun! I think I'm doubling back to try the one with Unicorn and Zeta now

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Hokuto posted:

What's your point

More pressingly I don't think Ryo has ever been shown as having feelings for anyone other than Akira. Even in Violence Jack that whole setup is just another layer of self-flagellation on his part.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Gulping Again posted:

More pressingly I don't think Ryo has ever been shown as having feelings for anyone other than Akira. Even in Violence Jack that whole setup is just another layer of self-flagellation on his part.

Oh yeah I don't think a good Ryo route would involve him actually catching feelings for you unless you're playing as Akira Fudo (HONESTLY THIS WOULD RULE THOUGH?? imagine the brutal dialogue options as Devilman). But I think there's room for something cool there regardless.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So has anyone bothered to try Super Expert+ yet, NG or otherwise? I didn't restart halfway through my SE run when the expansion dropped

I assume the battleship is still invincible but the upgrade costs seem absurd. Still, after a point I guess the battleball can't lose, you just have to really prioritize one or two turning levels (which kind of happens naturally anyway). I'm pretty sure at least a few missions and unlocks would be made impossible (especially recruitment ones) as a result so that'd be interesting. As it was outside of the first few missions even SE was a cakewalk but I don't think I have the stamina for a second playthrough lmao

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I built a robot that shows up in 30: https://imgur.com/a/zIUom9q

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Droyer posted:

I built a robot that shows up in 30: https://imgur.com/a/zIUom9q

that toy is insane, it rules

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Good God :stare:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Lost my poo poo when the scale comparison was shaking hands

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I would date Guy Shishio

With is red mane and golden arms...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I've picked the game back up after setting it down in chapter 6 and my god, I cannot believe how many incredibly stupid reveals I was still ignorant of at the time. Also somehow the Super AI plotline got worse with the revelation of an entirely different villain above all of the other Super AI villains so far who was on cryosleep but had already planned out a failsafe in almost all robot tech ever before she was iced

Also: did laugh at the superboss going "mmm nah gotta fight me 9 more times before I'm at full power but I'll give you some Seraphic Gate-rear end rewards every time"

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

secretly best girl posted:

Also: did laugh at the superboss going "mmm nah gotta fight me 9 more times before I'm at full power but I'll give you some Seraphic Gate-rear end rewards every time"

Advent WOULD be a Seraphic Gate boss, huh.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Also somehow the Super AI plotline got worse with the revelation of an entirely different villain above all of the other Super AI villains so far who was on cryosleep but had already planned out a failsafe in almost all robot tech ever before she was iced

I like how we had to pretend she was a threat on par with the other two people involved in her final battle, when those other two forces had to be put down, hard and meanwhile we just let this woman go back in the fridge quietly because her last minute plan bombed

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's still extremely funny to me that Amuro spends a solid two hundred hours talking about the light in human hearts and the moment someone says they're the darkness in them he shits his pants because that thought never occurred to him.

Then he nukes everything from orbit anyway with his friends who don't care at all about any of this, if you're me. Those bits never get old lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

It's still extremely funny to me that Amuro spends a solid two hundred hours talking about the light in human hearts and the moment someone says they're the darkness in them he shits his pants because that thought never occurred to him.

Then he nukes everything from orbit anyway with his friends who don't care at all about any of this, if you're me. Those bits never get old lol

One of the nice things about T in comparison to 30 was how the enemy factions spent much more time making GBS threads themselves over your merry band of lunatics than the reverse by endgame.

It felt much better to have people going "Cower and despair before me, you who... wait. WHAT did you do to the Space Monsters? And... uh... is that the voice that quakes the universe itself? And... oh. The White Shooting Star is out of retirement, huh? Crap." than "We have defeated ultrasatan 74. But now, facing Ultra Satan 75, it takes all my courage to just stay standing!"

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I liked how in X the goddamn Anti-Spiral manages to get freaked out about just about everyone on our crew.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Well, it took me 106 hours and making it into the endgame lock, but I did it

I finally unlocked the last person I needed to recruit before the fanservice episode, for probably like 2 lines of dialogue. Now for beach hijinks.

edit: That was literally two lines of dialogue as a frame device, lmao

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 25, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well, it took me 106 hours and making it into the endgame lock, but I did it

I finally unlocked the last person I needed to recruit before the fanservice episode, for probably like 2 lines of dialogue. Now for beach hijinks.

edit: That was literally two lines of dialogue as a frame device, lmao

Even so, :haw:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Dunno who would be interested, but Relayer (SRW-esque mecha TRPG) is coming out on Steam at some point in the next 24-30 hours

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MechaX posted:

Dunno who would be interested, but Relayer (SRW-esque mecha TRPG) is coming out on Steam at some point in the next 24-30 hours

It's out now.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I do not know how to feel about that ending. I know there's the whole bonus chapter to come, and the game has tossed a mess of post-game missions at me from the DLC alone already, but I don't know if there's a single more irritating move they could have pulled than "have Caruleum! whoops he's dead" in two levels' time

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I do not know how to feel about that ending. I know there's the whole bonus chapter to come, and the game has tossed a mess of post-game missions at me from the DLC alone already, but I don't know if there's a single more irritating move they could have pulled than "have Caruleum! whoops he's dead" in two levels' time

Don't worry, that's entirely to get you to buy the DLC. Caruleum is not dead and fully joins you there. The game still mocks you with a certain other thing to make up for it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Happy 1 year anniversary, SRW 30!

Now where's 31

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
30 and it's DLC are actually on sale

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Relayer has a decent plot and some fun character interactions but the actual gameplay itself is really mediocre, unless they changed it in the advanced edition significantly.

Buffs and debuffs are so powerful (and your units are so weak without them relative to the enemies on hard at least) that the entire MO is just spamming them.

Also a lot of your starting characters are pretty redundant as you get access to better kinds of them that just straight up have better abilities.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yo I just beat SRW 30 game is kinda mid nothing too great and I enjoyed playing it but I really, really enjoyed the localization on this. L-Gaim had me going off with all this stuff that feels like Post-Show Pre-Five Star Stories stuff like mentioning the Fatima in L-Gaim Mk.2's head and having MF McTomin out here alluding to the Knight of Gold. As a huge Nagano mark I love that poo poo, give me all the references you can without the man suing you. Ending really pissed me off though, I already dropped like $130 CAD on Singapore bucks to get Season Passes 1 and 2 plus the Sound Data pack and skipped the Expansion Pass and this game out here going "Now It's Time To Fight The Real Bad Guy!" after the credits put such a bad taste in my mouth. I think on an SRPG level I actually enjoyed playing Relayer more than this, because at least Relayer tried to have like rules and restrictions and ideas to make things not just Mazinger Death Balls, and while I do enjoy me just wading into a crowd of 30 dudes with the Getter Team I kind of want to be challenged in more ways than just statlines. Sound Pack was totally worth it though! I don't think I can play an SRW without one now.

Can't wait to see what's next for this series! Please give me more L-Gaim. It's always Time for L-Gaim.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
You sound very much like me as I chew through post-game (L-Gaim has always been a favorite of mine and those units kicked rear end to boot). SRW30 may be one of the rare games I've played that the DLC made the game aggressively worse, especially when all of the expansion packs have identical missions over and over in post-game that just swap out one boss. I'm about to start Black-Haired Woman later so I'll see what the "real" continuation is now that I've completed the filler and picked up a relic or two I missed.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Policenaut posted:

Yo I just beat SRW 30 game is kinda mid nothing too great and I enjoyed playing it but I really, really enjoyed the localization on this. L-Gaim had me going off with all this stuff that feels like Post-Show Pre-Five Star Stories stuff like mentioning the Fatima in L-Gaim Mk.2's head and having MF McTomin out here alluding to the Knight of Gold. As a huge Nagano mark I love that poo poo, give me all the references you can without the man suing you.

Can't wait to see what's next for this series! Please give me more L-Gaim. It's always Time for L-Gaim.
I couldn't agree more about it always being Time for L-Gaim. I'm also really glad you enjoyed everything we did with the translation for that material. Deets was front and center for that.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013
SRW won't be challenging again until they figure out that with their current model of spirit command quality of life (innate SP regen and reactive spirit command usage), some of the actual spirit commands in the game are far too strong (or far too undercosted for their effect).

And I would rather them nerf the offending spirits than return to the old spirit command model, because I think the new model has the potential for much more dynamic gameplay. Just, right now, it's buried under the weight of defensive spirits being way too cheap (mostly Foresee, which really should be like 30-40 SP rather than 15).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
being able to activate spirits on a unit after they have already taken their turn is simply too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
A lot of spirit commands were initially created and designed around being once per turn affairs but kept pretty much the same functionality and cost when the system changed to allow you to cast them multiple times per turn, especially now that you can cast them in response to specific attacks. Alert used to be a powerful but all-in defensive spell; it dodges anything, but it could very easily "waste" it on a chump attacking you before the big boss. Now you can just face tank the chumps and cast it only on the attacks that will actually maim/kill you. Similarly, healing spells used to be purely patch-up tools; now they can be used as bootleg defensive spells by letting you refill your HP mid enemy phase.

If they want to keep the current spell system, they'd need to pretty much do a ground up overhaul on the effects and costs of a lot of old staple spells.