Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Okay I just had some weird thing happen to me and I have no idea what the deal is. I control the duchy of Barcelona and all the counties, but then suddenly one of my neighbouring dukes just magically got control the county of Barcelona, which was my capital. My character didn't die, there's no inheritance shenanigans. He just straight up controls it now with not even a notification about it happening. I didn't even get a claim on it to take it back!

Anyone have any idea what's going on? We're both vassals under the Kingdom of Aquitaine but again, there was no message or event or anything so I don't know what the king might have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I want to say someone pressed their claim successfully for your county, which involved a war vs your liege instead of you? Unsure if hooks etc can be used to the same effect peacefully.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
It’s could be that your top liege was landless when they inherited via abdication/faction and so the game just gave them a random county from the realm.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

First thing to check is the title history and that should give you a clue as to what happened.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hmm, the title history just says "granted", but the title was never revoked, it just transferred immediately from me to him. He did have a claim on it but as I said there was no notification or event or anything indicating what had happened. I ended up just fabricating a claim and conquering it back and I'm independent as the kingdom of Aragon now so presumably it can't happen again but I'm still not sure what might have happened that just instantly transfers one of my titles away without an opportunity to refuse or even just notifying me that it's happening (especially considering it was my capital).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's almost certainly some tomfoolery from your liege, as you don't get asked permission when he does stuff. Entirely possible he just gave it away during a royal court event when someone whined at him.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I've got a minor weird thing that I cannot figure out. I'm playing as the HRE, fabricated a claim on the independent county of Napoli to get within range of holy-warring for Sicily. I can declare war on the count of Napoli, but no CBs are listed in the menu for me to actually get the war started. No idea why this is, and in the meantime Byzantium is chewing on Muslim Sicily and taking territory that should belong to the true successor of the Romans, me!!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Neurion posted:

I've got a minor weird thing that I cannot figure out. I'm playing as the HRE, fabricated a claim on the independent county of Napoli to get within range of holy-warring for Sicily. I can declare war on the count of Napoli, but no CBs are listed in the menu for me to actually get the war started. No idea why this is, and in the meantime Byzantium is chewing on Muslim Sicily and taking territory that should belong to the true successor of the Romans, me!!

If you have a claim and it still isn't showing up in the CB list, it means your claim isn't usable for some reason. Usually it's one of these two:

1) Your target is Greek or another culture with the Byzantine Traditions tradition, and you are either physically blemished (Incapable, Blind, Disfigured, Eunuch, Maimed, One-Eyed, One-Legged, Clubfooted, Hunchbacked, or Dwarf) or cannot produce children (Eunuch, Monk/Nun, or Celibate)
2) You're trying to press a child or someone of the wrong gender in your faith's claim (besides your own, so this likely isn't your problem) against anyone besides another child, someone else of thhe wrong gender, or someone Incapable.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Best Friends posted:

When your dad names you “baby” you get psychological problems

Infante is just Spanish for prince isn't it?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Hmm, the title history just says "granted", but the title was never revoked, it just transferred immediately from me to him. He did have a claim on it but as I said there was no notification or event or anything indicating what had happened. I ended up just fabricating a claim and conquering it back and I'm independent as the kingdom of Aragon now so presumably it can't happen again but I'm still not sure what might have happened that just instantly transfers one of my titles away without an opportunity to refuse or even just notifying me that it's happening (especially considering it was my capital).
There have been times when I'm holding court where someone comes to me and says, I have a claim/am dejure ruler of... I demand you rectify this injustice, etc. And I have the option of giving the county to him, letting the two duel for it or saying this is not my problem.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Infante is just Spanish for prince isn't it?

Oof. I knew there’d be a reason

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Dallan Invictus posted:

If you have a claim and it still isn't showing up in the CB list, it means your claim isn't usable for some reason. Usually it's one of these two:

1) Your target is Greek or another culture with the Byzantine Traditions tradition, and you are either physically blemished (Incapable, Blind, Disfigured, Eunuch, Maimed, One-Eyed, One-Legged, Clubfooted, Hunchbacked, or Dwarf) or cannot produce children (Eunuch, Monk/Nun, or Celibate)
2) You're trying to press a child or someone of the wrong gender in your faith's claim (besides your own, so this likely isn't your problem) against anyone besides another child, someone else of thhe wrong gender, or someone Incapable.

Holy poo poo, me swearing off banging my wife (for succession control reasons) was it. That's some wild poo poo. Told my wife I'm down to gently caress again and now I can press my claim.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Neurion posted:

Holy poo poo, me swearing off banging my wife (for succession control reasons) was it. That's some wild poo poo. Told my wife I'm down to gently caress again and now I can press my claim.

Her: Baby, come over

Me: I can’t I have succession issues

Her: I have a casus belli on Napoli

Me: *gets a blacksmith to smash my chastity belt*

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Irritably explaining to my enemy that, yes, once again, I am legally allowed to conquer his lands, as I am now an incel, not a volcel

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

megane posted:

Irritably explaining to my enemy that, yes, once again, I am legally allowed to conquer his lands, as I am now an incel, not a volcel

Somewhere Jordan Peterson starts to weep

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I wish there was like, a way to set royal hairstyles or something. I hate having to open the barber and I want cool flavor stuff like making all my kings have long hair like the Merovingians

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

There have been times when I'm holding court where someone comes to me and says, I have a claim/am dejure ruler of... I demand you rectify this injustice, etc. And I have the option of giving the county to him, letting the two duel for it or saying this is not my problem.

I was thinking it was something like this, but it is very annoying that as the target of the event there is literally no notice at all when they pick the "just give them the county" option. It's also annoying that the option is available when the liege in question doesn't even have the technology to revoke titles, let alone the crown authority to. Seems like at the very least it should give me a claim to the territory that was just randomly stolen from me.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone got opinions on if the AI is aggressive and competent enough to wage war and hold their empires together in 1.7? I usually run with multiple AI difficulty mods to make sure they can actually fight, but it seems like the tweaks for the AI's economic development have worked pretty well, according to this thread. Run vanilla as is or tweak the Realm Stability meter some?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone got opinions on if the AI is aggressive and competent enough to wage war and hold their empires together in 1.7? I usually run with multiple AI difficulty mods to make sure they can actually fight, but it seems like the tweaks for the AI's economic development have worked pretty well, according to this thread. Run vanilla as is or tweak the Realm Stability meter some?

I'm still running the previous edition, because I want to finish my Barcelona play through. What are the econ changes?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm still running the previous edition, because I want to finish my Barcelona play through. What are the econ changes?
The AI actually builds buildings and therefore has an income. Most holdings will be full of upgraded (innovation dependent) buildings by mid game.

So in my current game at 1150 (from the 857 start) while the only AI empire is in India (I caused Byzantine to collapse then took the good parts), many AI Kingdoms actually have sizable forces. I've had several succession factions able to raise 20k troops to the point where I just white peace so I can focus on one (because I can't split my forces between Africa and England and win both like previous patches).

There seem to be far fewer instances where Kingdoms explode into duchies and counties, and instead Kingdoms grow and split. I'm guessing it's easier for the Kings to keep their holdings when they can afford to field their MaA more

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That's great to hear. You running without any changes to the realm stability game rule?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So when the game says a congenital trait will be inherited because both parents have it, as opposed to maybe because only one of them has it, that appears to not necessarily be the case. Both me and my wife are quick, three of our kids are intelligent and two are quick but the most recent one is neither. Now I know what the obvious explanation is, but I don’t think that’s what’s going on. My wife is both chaste and my soulmate, which should really cut down on her having another guy on the side. I also had the same thing happen with an earlier kid, but the game crashed and I had to reload, which resulted in an intelligent kid. So I reloaded a few times again for the current baby and I always got one that was either intelligent or quick.

Has anyone else noticed this happening to them? I think I can use the console to see who the real dad is just in case, but it’s kind of annoying if it is a bug even if it’s not very common. I don’t want any normal kids.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The way that congenital trait inheritance works, it's not actually ever 100% guaranteed they'll get it. However, just because the kid doesn't have it doesn't mean they haven't inherited it - traits can be inherited as inactive/recessive, meaning they won't get the benefit of the trait but still have the potential to pass it along to their own kids. There is no way to know when this has happened through regular in-game means (there might be console commands that will reveal them, I'm not sure).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I think the base is that your kids have a 25% chance of inheriting an active trait, 80% if both parents have it. If it doesn’t show up as active, they are guaranteed to inherit it as an inactive trait. So your kid that doesn’t have any traits can still pass it on to his kid.

If you have some of the Blood dynasty traits, then your chances of passing down good traits if both parents have it is 100%, I think.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Then they really need to change what the tooltip for that says, because the way it is worded right now does guarantees inheritance. If two people who are both quick (or any other congenital trait afaik) get married it says “as both parents have this trait, it will get inherited” and that the trait might intensify, whereas it’s only a might in terms of inheritance if only one parent has it. If a “will”, italicized and underlined, actually means 80%, then that’s not exactly accurate.

Here I was thinking my soulmate was cheating on me, but it just turned out to be a poorly explained and badly worded tooltip.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea it’s not super clear. Your kid definitely will inherit it, but it may be inactive.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the tooltip is wrong, it occasionally happens that a trait won't be inherited even though both parents had it. You can even verify that parentage through the debug mode

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Re: East Asia, I haven't properly dug into it due to it being partially untranslated Chinese (not to mention somewhat jank) but the Oriental Empires mod seems to have a pretty decent changeup of the mechanics to fit Imperial China. The core Chinese territories have bureaucratic succession rather than hereditary, and there's special titles like military commanderies under the Chinese Emperor.

It also adds literally every other part of east/southeast asia, plus indonesia, but I don't think those parts are as complete as the Chinese section.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PancakeTransmission posted:

The AI actually builds buildings and therefore has an income. Most holdings will be full of upgraded (innovation dependent) buildings by mid game.

So in my current game at 1150 (from the 857 start) while the only AI empire is in India (I caused Byzantine to collapse then took the good parts), many AI Kingdoms actually have sizable forces. I've had several succession factions able to raise 20k troops to the point where I just white peace so I can focus on one (because I can't split my forces between Africa and England and win both like previous patches).

There seem to be far fewer instances where Kingdoms explode into duchies and counties, and instead Kingdoms grow and split. I'm guessing it's easier for the Kings to keep their holdings when they can afford to field their MaA more

That sounds great!

My game is going pretty well. I hope to win the struggle via domination and then found Hispania in about 30 years. Really annoyed by Bohemia becoming a neighbor due to the same color. Not really a fan of Hispania's gold color though. Is there are a way to change your territory's color?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Found one of the worst trait combos:

On the other hand, using Abandon Hook for an instant stress relief is pretty good when you have a heap of hooks from letting people out of jail for free.

Also found out that you can no longer force a suicide from stress if you inflicted it yourself (eg by doing several of these in a row) - it just keeps resetting the stress to the start of level 3 and gave me the option to abdicate instead :shrug:

I could have sworn you were able to rush a death this way?

Charlz Guybon posted:

That sounds great!

My game is going pretty well. I hope to win the struggle via domination and then found Hispania in about 30 years. Really annoyed by Bohemia becoming a neighbor due to the same color. Not really a fan of Hispania's gold color though. Is there are a way to change your territory's color?
Yep - you just go to the title and there will be the little edit pen and quill at the top. You can even change the title's logo! I have yet to find out if you change your house logo before being a Kingdom puts that on the banners, as it didn't change them last time I edited one.

(Also shown is the current income - 12g of that is from a single Theocratic Duke :lol: ) Germany has about 30k troops so no chance of putting up a big resistance but will still wait until they split after succession. Unfortunately Mozarabic means I can't Holy War through Europe but don't really need to.

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 10, 2022

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I am loving these better AI.

I had to help them, but my AI liege went from King to Emperor and we've got three strong empires in Europe around the year 1000. Being able to have a royal court but still play as a vassal is a lot of fun.

There have been at least two successful AI crusades - the first was against Valencia, the second into Hungary. I saw at least one fail after I split off from Catholicism, but it seemed a lot more even than in the past.

Oh and the AI resolved the Iberia crisis through the splintering the realm decision less than 100 years into the game. Between this and the early crusade into Valencia the muslim nations in Iberia are much weaker than in the last playthrough I did, which leads to all sorts of different dynamics.

European and African pagans are once again almost entirely gone by this point in the game again though and unless you personally decide to keep them around it seems like they don't have much of a chance in the current system.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PancakeTransmission posted:

Found one of the worst trait combos:

On the other hand, using Abandon Hook for an instant stress relief is pretty good when you have a heap of hooks from letting people out of jail for free.

Also found out that you can no longer force a suicide from stress if you inflicted it yourself (eg by doing several of these in a row) - it just keeps resetting the stress to the start of level 3 and gave me the option to abdicate instead :shrug:

I could have sworn you were able to rush a death this way?

Yep - you just go to the title and there will be the little edit pen and quill at the top. You can even change the title's logo! I have yet to find out if you change your house logo before being a Kingdom puts that on the banners, as it didn't change them last time I edited one.

(Also shown is the current income - 12g of that is from a single Theocratic Duke :lol: ) Germany has about 30k troops so no chance of putting up a big resistance but will still wait until they split after succession. Unfortunately Mozarabic means I can't Holy War through Europe but don't really need to.

I think the stress suicide has some kind of hidden triggers or randomness. I managed to kill myself with stress once but not another time in the same game.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I thought dying from stress was because it gives you some really bad health penalties, so it’s not instant, but really shortens your lifespan.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It used to be that hitting max stress made you have a heart attack that instantly killed your character but I think they changed that to encourage people to take stress penalties more often, since it's only supposed to be a soft discouragement factor, not a "do not do this under any circumstances" kind of thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah it's been changed, now sometimes it kills you, sometimes it tries to make you murder your heir instead.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I thought dying from stress was because it gives you some really bad health penalties, so it’s not instant, but really shortens your lifespan.

It's both. There's also a heart attack event that just can up and kill you if you're sitting at the highest stress tier.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I swear every time I hit the adopt feudal ways decision I immediately regret it. This time I was dumb because I did it, then immediately conquered a tribal duchy, so now I have to pay to make them feudal. Oh well.

Did a Dyre "The Stranger" start, which is kind of fun because you're Norse and Asatru on an island surrounded by other cultures and religions. I figured it was going to take me forever to collect 3 Asatru holy sites in order to reform it, so I just converted to Orthodox, and going to give that a shot. One of the few major religions I haven't tried yet. I guess I'll do the historical thing and actually go invade Byzantine, although I left that up to Dyre's grandkids to do.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

To me, the first two of metropolitan are decent. Boosting growth, and getting stewardship and learning bonuses are good. I didn’t see much use for the later ones because I don’t usually build things in cities.

Coterie is good early on because you can get free court positions and slight bonuses from your councilors. If you fill it all the way you can disinherit as much as you want, which is nice, but you’re investing a lot to get that perk. If you get larger, the usefulness falls off because your house members may not be the best people to fill court or councilor positions.

Personally, I just grab the first couple from each as I found other legacies to be better use.

Wow, that 2nd metropolitan legacy is strong. Extra points in stewardship and learning.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You know what? Maybe I should just disband all these Varangian Veterans and replace them with Huscarls. I imagine at least they won't be as loving broken that way, it's the pursuit stat on VVs I feel like makes them stupidly strong.

Honestly though, if anything I think they should move VVs to the end of the Viking legacies as an ultimate reward, that would be way more balanced.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eh, trading a ferrari for a lambo still leaves you with a super car. Go mass light cav or something if you want to spice things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I am incapable of not structuring the military like an actual competent military lord would.

An equal mix of heavy inf/pike and archer/crossbowman as the backbone, one stack of light cav, two stacks of heavy cav, and a seige engine.

King or heir leads the army unless he's a coward. (If I remember to change the leader.)